Author: WyIted

Total: 103
Shila
Debates: 0
Shila
-->
@rosends
1. The laws were the laws before the prophets existed
2. why would you quote the gospels to someone who doesn't see them as authoritative or useful?

for a start ;)
Just because the Jews don’t accept the Gospels does not justify killing God’s prophets.
rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila
Who said anything about justifying anything? Why don't you go back through the Jewish bible and make a list of all the prophets who were killed. Then look to see who killd each one and what the consequences were.

See, that would be called "learning" and you should look into it.
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends
Who said anything about justifying anything? Why don't you go back through the Jewish bible and make a list of all the prophets who were killed. Then look to see who killd each one and what the consequences were.

See, that would be called "learning" and you should look into it.

The only time in Jewish history of mass persecution of God’s Prophets occurred was in the  lifetime of Prophet Elijah (I Kings 19:14) who told God: “I have been very jealous for the LORD; for [many of]  the children of Israel have forsaken your covenant, thrown down your altars, and slain your prophets with the sword; and I, only I am left; and they seek to take my life away.”

And of course there was the actual example in the Gospels of the Jewish King Herod as a Prophet killer. The Herodians had already done away with Jesus’ cousin Prophet John when he criticized their personal family affairs (Mark 6:17-29). Now “King Herod heard [reports about Jesus’ healing and teaching] for Jesus’ name had become [well] known. Some were saying, “John the baptizer has been raised from the dead; and for this reason these powers work in him [Jesus].” But others said, “It is Elijah.”  And others said, “It is a prophet like one of the prophets of old.” But when Herod heard of it, he said, “John, whom I beheaded, has returned to life.” (Mark 6:14-16)
There are two narratives in the Hebrew Bible that relate how a Jewish king killed a specific prophet: The first is in 2 Chronicles and involves Zechariah son of Jehoiada the high priest who lived in the days of King Joash of Judah (ruled 835-796): “The spirit of God then invested Zechariah son of Jehoiada the priest. He stood up before the people and said, ‘God says this, “Why transgress God’s commands to your certain ruin? For if you abandon God, he will abandon you.” They then plotted against him and, at the king’s order, stoned him in the courtyard  of the Temple of God.” (2 Chronicles 24:20-21).

The second narrative appears in the Book of Prophet Jeremiah, during the reign of King Jehoiakim (ruled 609-598): “There was another man, who used to prophesy in God’s name, Uriah son of Shemaiah, from Kiriath-Jearim. He prophesied exactly the same things against this city and this country as Jeremiah. When King Jehoiakim with all his officers and all the chief men heard what he said, the king decided to put him to death. “On hearing this, Uriah took flight and escaped to Egypt. King Jehoiakim, however, sent Elnathan son of Achbor to Egypt with others, who brought Uriah back from Egypt and took him to King Jehoiakim, who had him put to the sword and his body thrown into the common burial ground.” (Jeremiah 26:20- 23).

rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila
The only time in Jewish history of mass persecution of God’s Prophets occurred was in the  lifetime of Prophet Elijah (I Kings 19:14) who told God: “I have been very jealous for the LORD; for [many of]  the children of Israel have forsaken your covenant, thrown down your altars, and slain your prophets with the sword; and I, only I am left; and they seek to take my life away.”
So this shows that you haven't read the text. A chapter earlier, the text says that Jezebel killed the Jewish prophets but that 100 (and Elijah) were saved. When Elijah said he was the only one left, he was saying that he feared for the well being of the 100 in hiding. But then why does Elijah say the people killed prophets when the text says otherwise? Because the people, by embracing idolatry and shunning their own prophets abandoned God and his protection so Jezebel had their support when SHE killed the prophets. So you have no actual textual witness that the people did any killing.

And of course there was the actual example in the Gospels of the Jewish King Herod as a Prophet killer. The Herodians had already done away with Jesus’ cousin Prophet John when he criticized their personal family affairs (Mark 6:17-29). Now “King Herod heard [reports about Jesus’ healing and teaching] for Jesus’ name had become [well] known. Some were saying, “John the baptizer has been raised from the dead; and for this reason these powers work in him [Jesus].” But others said, “It is Elijah.”  And others said, “It is a prophet like one of the prophets of old.” But when Herod heard of it, he said, “John, whom I beheaded, has returned to life.” (Mark 6:14-16)
Gospels? So, useless. And "Jewish" king? You just don't get it...https://aish.com/herods-complicated-relationship-with-judaism/

There are two narratives in the Hebrew Bible that relate how a Jewish king killed a specific prophet: The first is in 2 Chronicles and involves Zechariah son of Jehoiada the high priest who lived in the days of King Joash of Judah (ruled 835-796): “The spirit of God then invested Zechariah son of Jehoiada the priest. He stood up before the people and said, ‘God says this, “Why transgress God’s commands to your certain ruin? For if you abandon God, he will abandon you.” They then plotted against him and, at the king’s order, stoned him in the courtyard  of the Temple of God.” (2 Chronicles 24:20-21).

In this narrative, Yoash, a king who was an idolater killed a prophet (verse 22 -- a verse earlier, some people, under the king's command, threw rocks at the prophet but the king killed him. The people didn't. And in return, the country was invaded and the king was killed.

The second narrative appears in the Book of Prophet Jeremiah, during the reign of King Jehoiakim (ruled 609-598): “There was another man, who used to prophesy in God’s name, Uriah son of Shemaiah, from Kiriath-Jearim. He prophesied exactly the same things against this city and this country as Jeremiah. When King Jehoiakim with all his officers and all the chief men heard what he said, the king decided to put him to death. “On hearing this, Uriah took flight and escaped to Egypt. King Jehoiakim, however, sent Elnathan son of Achbor to Egypt with others, who brought Uriah back from Egypt and took him to King Jehoiakim, who had him put to the sword and his body thrown into the common burial ground.” (Jeremiah 26:20- 23).
So there were two prophets who said unpopular prophecies. One was killed while the other was protected. But killed by whom? Three named individuals took Uriah from Egypt and the KING (not the people) had him killed. And what was the result? Check the next chapter and a little history, including Josephus, Antiquities of the Jews, Book X, chapter 6, part 3.

So your claim remains unsubstantiated. Kings who worshipped idolatry killed prophets. And they and the nation that worshipped idols were punished.

See how great learning is? It points out what you don't really know and gives you an opportunity to change your position when faced with more facts.

Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends
So your claim remains unsubstantiated. Kings who worshipped idolatry killed prophets. And they and the nation that worshipped idols were punished.

See how great learning is? It points out what you don't really know and gives you an opportunity to change your position when faced with more facts.
God stopped sending prophets to save the Jews because the Jews were famous for disposing off their prophets. According to the Bible Malachi was the last prophet sent some 450 years before Jesus. So what did the Jews rely on to preserve their knowledge of God? It goes back to dieting and observing circumcision. These two aspects of Judaism is well preserved and observed.

rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila
God stopped sending prophets to save the Jews because the Jews were famous for disposing off their prophets. According to the Bible Malachi was the last prophet sent some 450 years before Jesus. So what did the Jews rely on to preserve their knowledge of God? It goes back to dieting and observing circumcision. These two aspects of Judaism is well preserved and observed.
so when confronted with facts that refute your point you ignore them and just move on to something else, huh?

The Jews were not "famous" for anything of the sort and I just went through the meager examples you presented and showed you why. But better to ignore it if it doesn't feed your narrative, I guess.

And the cessation of prophecy (about 320 before the common era, not 450) had no effect on Jews' preserving their knowledge of God. They had both written texts and orally transmitted laws. They practiced their religion well beyond "dieting" and circumcision. Do you even have a point to make or are you just a rnadomly firing shotgun, hoping that one pellet will land?
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends
And the cessation of prophecy (about 320 before the common era, not 450) had no effect on Jews' preserving their knowledge of God. They had both written texts and orally transmitted laws. They practiced their religion well beyond "dieting" and circumcision. Do you even have a point to make or are you just a rnadomly firing shotgun, hoping that one pellet will land?
If the Jews were loyal to their God, why didn’t their God preserve them from their neighbours? Was it because the Jews only observed dietary restrictions and circumcision that left them helpless. Today they rely on American weapons which is why they are still around.
rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila
If the Jews were loyal to their God, why didn’t their God preserve them from their neighbours? Was it because the Jews only observed dietary restrictions and circumcision that left them helpless. Today they rely on American weapons which is why they are still around.
God did which is why there are still Jews here and there. You keep ignoring the most obvious "why" answer -- the one the text attests to: idolatry.

Seriously, you are getting your stupidity mixed into your hate and it is just making you look worse and worse.
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends

God did which is why there are still Jews here and there. You keep ignoring the most obvious "why" answer -- the one the text attests to: idolatry.
Seriously, you are getting your stupidity mixed into your hate and it is just making you look worse and worse.
The Arabs own land 400 times the size of Israel. They control 2/3 the world’s oil reserves. There are 1.9 billion Muslims compared to 14 million Jews. God blessed the descendants of Ishmael who was circumcised.
Genesis 17:20
And as for Ishmael, I have heard you: I will surely bless him; I will make him fruitful and will greatly increase his numbers. He will be the father of twelve rulers, and I will make him into a great nation.

rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila
The Arabs own land 400 times the size of Israel. They control 2/3 the world’s oil reserves. There are 1.9 billion Muslims compared to 14 million Jews. God blessed the descendants of Ishmael who was circumcised.
And as for Ishmael, I have heard you: I will surely bless him; I will make him fruitful and will greatly increase his numbers. He will be the father of twelve rulers, and I will make him into a great nation.
um, so? All you have done is demonstrated that the biblical prophecy is accurate. Therefore, you should also believe that all the other biblical prophecies are accurate, right? All the things about the Jews being as numerous as the stars in the sky, and the Jews reclaiming their homeland and all that stuff, right?

Deut 30
1When all these things have happened to you, the blessings and the curses that I have set before you, if you call them to mind among all the nations where the Lord your God has driven you, 2and return to the Lord your God, and you and your children obey him with all your heart and with all your soul, just as I am commanding you today, 3then the Lord your God will restore your fortunes and have compassion on you, gathering you again from all the peoples among whom the Lord your God has scattered you. 4Even if you are exiled to the ends of the world, from there the Lord your God will gather you, and from there he will bring you back. 5The Lord your God will bring you into the land that your ancestors possessed, and you will possess it; he will make you more prosperous and numerous than your ancestors.

I'm glad your faith system validates the biblical prophecies. So much to look forward to!
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@rosends
One way or another rules is oppression.

And man makes rules to oppress his fellow man.

And I don't need to prove that there isn't a GOD, because currently there isn't one.

You stated that "God commanded", which is therefore incorrect.

So I know, that what you think you know and what you actually know are two different things.

rosends
rosends
-->
@zedvictor4
so, no speed limits for you then I guess.

And man makes rules to oppress his fellow man.
actually, man makes rules to create a society in which people can coexist. At least that's how it is supposed to work. Parents make rules to keep children safe (at least that's how it is supposed to work).

And I don't need to prove that there isn't a GOD, because currently there isn't one.
I specifically didn't ask you to prove that. But saying you don't "need to" because it is already something you know is problematic. You don't need to prove it because it is so, and it is so so you don't need to prove it. That may work for you, but it seems rather self fulfilling to me. Mathematicicans create "proofs" to explain what is and is not. 2+2=4 and yet it still is subject to proof (https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/842314/prove-that-22-4). 

You stated that "God commanded", which is therefore incorrect.
I stated it because I understand it as truth and fact. I have a hard time proving that my great great great (plus a few) grandafather existed (I have no pictures or documents) but I abide by statements that he made. You can choose to say that my great great (etc) grandfather didn't exist if you want. I believe he did.

So I know, that what you think you know and what you actually know are two different things.
What I know and what you decide I know are two very different things.
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends
I'm glad your faith system validates the biblical prophecies. So much to look forward to!
Jeremiah 11
9 The Lord said to me: A conspiracy is taking place among the people of Judah and residents of Jerusalem. 10 They have returned to the sins of their ancestors who refused to obey my words. They too are following other gods and serving them. The people of Israel and the people of Judah have broken my covenant that I made with their ancestors.

11 Therefore, the Lord proclaims: I will bring upon them a disaster from which they won’t be able to escape. They will cry out to me, but I won’t listen to them. 12 Then the people of Judah and those living in Jerusalem will call upon the gods they worship,[a] but they won’t save them when disaster strikes. 13 You have as many gods as you have towns, Judah, and you have as many shameful altars for worshipping Baal as you have streets in Jerusalem.

Matthew 27:25 And all the people yelled back, “We will take responsibility for his death—we and our children!”

Exodus 34:7 says that God “[visits] the iniquity of the fathers on the children and the children's children, to the third and the fourth generation.”
rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila
So much to look forward to!

And I will gather the remnant of my flock out of all countries into which I have driven them, and will bring them back to their folds; and they shall be fruitful and increase. (Jer 23:3)

Matthew 27:25 And all the people yelled back, “We will take responsibility for his death—we and our children!”
ok, more useless gospel stuff...

Exodus 34:7 says that God “[visits] the iniquity of the fathers on the children and the children's children, to the third and the fourth generation.”
and yet it also says "Fathers shall not be put to death for children, neither shall children be put to death for fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin."
Deut 24:16.
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends
So much to look forward to!

And I will gather the remnant of my flock out of all countries into which I have driven them, and will bring them back to their folds; and they shall be fruitful and increase. (Jer 23:3)

The Jews now have to resort to stealing land from the Palestinians. The covenant of circumcision can only take the Jews so far only to be overtaken by the Muslims.
rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila
ok, so what?
The Jews now have to resort to stealing land from the Palestinians. The covenant of circumcision can only take the Jews so far only to be overtaken by the Muslims.
that's where your knowledge of reality fails completely. You are also ignoring that the text promises the land to the Jews. Why don't you see Israel's existance and growth as fulfillment of biblical prophecy?

Oh yeah, because that doesn't fit your narrative or play to your ignorance.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
Only in that sense there exist cosmic limits and ergo local limits.

Universe/God has eternally existent set of absolute cosmic principles -- aka rules{?}, that, are inherent to all occupied space Universe/God existence.

There may exist cosmic absolutes physical laws ex law of conservation...naught is created nor destroyed on transformed, eternally.  Aka as cosmic regenerative integrity and a bit like the immortal jelly fish{s}, that, can be killed ergo, not truly immortal in that sense.

Occupied space Universe/God cannot be killed, destroyed annihilated etc.
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends
that's where your knowledge of reality fails completely. You are also ignoring that the text promises the land to the Jews. Why don't you see Israel's existance and growth as fulfillment of biblical prophecy?

Oh yeah, because that doesn't fit your narrative or play to your ignorance.
The land was already given to the Arabs. In fact the Romans drove the Jews out of Israel. The majority of Jewish history points to their homelessness.

rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila
Are you really that ignorant of the Bible and history? You disprove yourself both within messages and between them. You keep reposting the same material. I'm beginning to think that you are a bot, or whatever the stupid version of a bot is. 
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends
Are you really that ignorant of the Bible and history? You disprove yourself both within messages and between them. You keep reposting the same material. I'm beginning to think that you are a bot, or whatever the stupid version of a bot is. 
Biblical and historical facts about the expulsion of Jews.

How many times were the Jews exiled from their land?
For what purpose did G‑d place the Jewish people in exile, not once but four times? “Because of our sins we were exiled from our land,” the verse states.

The declining economic usefulness of the Jews and the related deterioration of their social and religious status led to their expulsion from England in 1290 and from France in 1306. Jews were also expelled from the Holy Roman Empire and, most notoriously, from Spain in 1492.

King Philip expels the Jews. In 1306 King Philip was short of money due to a war with the Flemish and a complex currency revaluation problem. It was against this financial background that King Philip came up with the plan to expel the Jews of France and confiscate and sell off their property

In 1492, and during the years that followed, tens of thousands of Jews fled Spain (estimates range from 40,000 to over 150,000).

rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila
Plagiarising from multiple sources material which isn't relevant. Yup. Sounds like a bot. 
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends
Plagiarising from multiple sources material which isn't relevant. Yup. Sounds like a bot.
If it is the truth what does it matter who said it first.

The Jews were repeatedly punished throughout their history by God and their neighbours.

There are a lot of dos and don'ts in the 613 commandments. But I could not find any commandment that tells Jews to be 'likeable'. With 3000 years of persecution, expulsion and antisemitism, one would think a commandment to be 'likeable' might have help Jews overcome the burden of 613 commandments that still left them undeserving of proper recognition throughout their history.

I don't mean to be disparaging. But would adding one more commandment to be likeable to the existing 613 be so difficult?

Would adding that same commandment to be likeable have saved Jesus who was a Jew and stopped at the 613 commandments? Why didn't Jesus add the commandment to be likeable himself?

jesus was bound to the laws. He declared:

Matthew 5:17 Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them.

Christians are no more likeable than Jews because they too stop short of being likeable. In fact they follow even less laws than Jews having dropped circumcision and dietary restrictions.

Original post by Harikrish biblical scholar and spiritual leader.

rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila
If it is the truth what does it matter who said it first.
sure it does. Intellectual honesty demands giving credit. Are you against intellectual honesty?

The Jews were repeatedly punished throughout their history by God and their neighbours.
well, by God. Sometimes he uses the neighbors to exact the punishment, but it comes from God.

There are a lot of dos and don'ts in the 613 commandments. But I could not find any commandment that tells Jews to be 'likeable'.
there are laws about how to treat each other properly and pursue justice for all while being merciful. There are laws about how to act honest in business, about how to speak with others nicely and how to treat others as we would want to be treated. If you are looking for a law that says "bake a cake" or "you should smile more" no, you won't find that. But you will find extensive laws about proper and positive behavior. i guess you don't find that likable.

With 3000 years of persecution, expulsion and antisemitism, one would think a commandment to be 'likeable' might have help Jews overcome the burden of 613 commandments that still left them undeserving of proper recognition throughout their history.
Jews aren't looking for "proper recognition." Existence isn't a popularity contest.

I don't mean to be disparaging. But would adding one more commandment to be likeable to the existing 613 be so difficult?
ask God.
Would adding that same commandment to be likeable have saved Jesus who was a Jew and stopped at the 613 commandments? Why didn't Jesus add the commandment to be likeable himself?
who cares. Jesus has nothing to do with Judaism.

Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends

Judaism shaped Jesus. Jesus was a Jew who followed Judaism. He was born of a Jewish mother, in Galilee, a Jewish part of the world. All of his friends, associates, colleagues, disciples, all of them were Jews. He regularly worshipped in Jewish communal worship, what we call synagogues. He preached from Jewish text, from the Bible.

This explains why Jesus like the Jews before him were never liked and antisemitism prevailed. There was no commandment that told Jews to be likeable. And Jesus himself declared.
Matthew 5:17 
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.
Jesus too was limited by the laws so he could not add a new law to tell the Jews to be likeable.

Deuteronomy 4:2 “Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.”

With 3000 years of persecution, expulsion and antisemitism, one would think a commandment to be 'likeable' might have help Jews overcome the burden of 613 commandments that still left them undeserving of proper recognition throughout their history.

rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila
so more repetition of the same paragraphs and the same irrelevant information. Bot, it is.
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends
Not true!!!
Judaism shaped Jesus. Jesus was a Jew who followed Judaism. He was born of a Jewish mother, in Galilee, a Jewish part of the world. All of his friends, associates, colleagues, disciples, all of them were Jews. He regularly worshipped in Jewish communal worship, what we call synagogues. He preached from Jewish text, from the Bible.

This explains why Jesus like the Jews before him were never liked and antisemitism prevailed. There was no commandment that told Jews to be likeable. And Jesus himself declared.
Matthew 5:17 
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.
Jesus too was limited by the laws so he could not add a new law to tell the Jews to be likeable.

Deuteronomy 4:2 “Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.”

rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila
Not true!!!
you don't read well, do you. You are explaining that Judaism had a lot to do with Jesus. That may be but who cares?

I said that Jesus was nothing to do with Judaism. Stay focused.
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends
Not true!!!

you don't read well, do you. You are explaining that Judaism had a lot to do with Jesus. That may be but who cares?

I said that Jesus was nothing to do with Judaism. Stay focused.
Not true! The Jews had a lot to do with Jesus. They wanted him crucified.
Luke 23:21 But they kept shouting, “Crucify him! Crucify him!”

The Jews, God's chosen people, believed that a Messiah would come to save them. The land of Palestine was ruled by the Romans, and many Jews expected the Messiah to be a military figure who would fight the Romans and drive them out. Other Jews were expecting a prophet like Moses. In short like your typical Jew Jesus was not likeable.

rosends
rosends
-->
@Shila
so, still not reading, still repeating the same paragraphs and now you added another irrelevance -- " The Jews had a lot to do with Jesus. "

My statement was that Jesus has nothing to do with Judaism.
Shila
Shila
-->
@rosends
so, still not reading, still repeating the same paragraphs and now you added another irrelevance -- " The Jews had a lot to do with Jesus. "

My statement was that Jesus has nothing to do with Judaism.
Jesus has everything to do with Judaism becoming a shrinking religion by making Christianity a replacement.