"Religious Freedom" = Discrimination = Hate

Author: 3RU7AL

Total: 737
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
The design itself was never even discussed in the gay wedding case.
what difference that does make, he had a religious objection for it's intended purpose, not that he even needed to give a reason.
The objection wasn't based on the design BECAUSE THE DESIGN WASN'T EVEN DISCUSSED.

The objection wasn't based on religious reasons, BECAUSE "THE BIBLE" DOESN'T PROHIBIT SELLING OR MAKING THINGS FOR SINNERS.

The "win" was for "freedom of speech".  So basically this cake guy imagines he is personally endorsing every message on every cake he designs. 
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
The objection wasn't based on religious reasons, BECAUSE "THE BIBLE" DOESN'T PROHIBIT SELLING OR MAKING THINGS FOR SINNERS.
is there only one interpretation of the bible?  because there are numerous bible based churches, they must not agree 100% and yet they are recognized as separate and independent churches, even though they use the same book.

But it WAS NOT a victory for "religious freedom" it was a victory for "artistic expression" = "free speech".
as it should have been, thus my contention that no reason needs to be given.

The objection wasn't based on the design BECAUSE THE DESIGN WASN'T EVEN DISCUSSED.
right as I interpret it, the objection was on the intent, the premade cakes he never intended for gay weddings so I guess he rationalized that if they purchased one and used it for something other than HE intended his conscious was clear.

So basically this cake guy imagines he is personally endorsing every message on every cake he designs. 
sure, whatever you create is part of you, a direct reflection of you, how could it be otherwise?  People want homemade/handmade things vs machine made for that personal touch.

If you setup and cater a KKK banquette aren't you supporting the KKK, either directly or indirectly by adding your creativity and personal touch?

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
is there only one interpretation of the bible?  because there are numerous bible based churches, they must not agree 100% and yet they are recognized as separate and independent churches, even though they use the same book.
Please present any Church doctrine that prohibits selling and making things for sinners or gays.  Show me the text.

But it WAS NOT a victory for "religious freedom" it was a victory for "artistic expression" = "free speech".
as it should have been, thus my contention that no reason needs to be given.
Oh good.

right as I interpret it, the objection was on the intent, the premade cakes he never intended for gay weddings so I guess he rationalized that if they purchased one and used it for something other than HE intended his conscious was clear.
When you say "conscience" it certainly makes it sound religious...

So basically this cake guy imagines he is personally endorsing every message on every cake he designs. 
sure, whatever you create is part of you, a direct reflection of you, how could it be otherwise?  People want homemade/handmade things vs machine made for that personal touch.

If you setup and cater a KKK banquette aren't you supporting the KKK, either directly or indirectly by adding your creativity and personal touch?
If you buy Sea Monkeys, aren't you either directly or indirectly supporting the KKK? - [LINK]

If I ran a catering company, or rented event space TO THE PUBLIC, and I was asked to serve an obvious KKK event (they usually don't tell you upfront), I would either close my business, simply refuse to serve them (and run a pretty small risk of being sued) [LINK] OR, OPEN A PRIVATE CLUB.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
Wait, because you think one's a "choice"?

So you're totally fine with discrimination based on someone's religion because that's also clearly a "choice"?

I don't like using the word discrimination, because I think it is a loaded word. If you can tell something apart from another, you are discriminating.

Yes, I discriminate based on religion. So does my church. If you were to walk in to my church, you would not be allowed to partake of the eucharist. This is not because we are mean, it is because you are not Orthodox Christian.

When I got married, I married someine nb of the opposite sex as me. I did this because I was being discriminatory. I would not have married someone of the same sex.

I don't believe that something like homosexuality is an innate thing. One isn't a thief for desiring to take things that don't belong to them. One isn't a homosexual for desiring to have sexual relations with someine of the same sex.

And just as a repentant thief no longer has to be a thief, someone who repents of homosexuality no longer has to be a homosexual.

Race and sexual orientation are not the same. One is a matter of choice one genetics.

Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@3RU7AL
BECAUSE "THE BIBLE" DOESN'T PROHIBIT SELLING OR MAKING THINGS FOR SINNERS.
The idea that he is refusing to make cake for sinners, or any grouping of people, HAS NOT BEEN PROVEN.  
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
Please present any Church doctrine that prohibits selling and making things for sinners or gays.  Show me the text.
afaik the bible is mostly written/interpreted from dead languages in subjective stories and teachings is it not?  How specific is the bible anyway?  what % would you say that the bible is specific and NOT open to interpretation.
When you say "conscience" it certainly makes it sound religious...
do you not have a conscience?

If you buy Sea Monkeys, aren't you either directly or indirectly supporting the KKK?
if you interpret it as such then yes, and it's your choice as to support it or not if you view it that way, but that's a decision up to the person to make and not be forced on them by someone else.
all these things only have value or meaning of which we ascribe to them, which is based on the individual, context and all, consider words which have been misused and taken out of context for such a long time they are now considered a pejorative, when in fact the proper and actual use isn't.

If I ran a catering company, or rented event space TO THE PUBLIC, and I was asked to serve an obvious KKK event (they usually don't tell you upfront), I would either close my business, simply refuse to serve them (and run a pretty small risk of being sued) [LINK] OR, OPEN A PRIVATE CLUB.
yes that is your choice as I have stated many times, no one is forcing you to do that.  You should not be forced or threatened into a contract that you don't wish to be a part of, that's fascist and maybe communism. 
there are numerous restrictions placed on businesses and business owners so being private or public as you say I don't find important.

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Mopac
Watching your wording there, nice.  The last thing you want to do is use a loaded word. 

You " discriminate "  based on religion.   This comment is going straight in my ( Mopac file ) for later use. 

Do you Orthodox Christians have a special way of indicating your a ortodox chistians?   
It sounds like you, a special handshake maybe.. 
I reckon i could easy look like a orthodox Christian.  Actually mopac. Stuff it.  For the next five minutes after i send this post i will actually be a ortodox Christian. 
Ready for this ?

And my time startssssssssssssssss now.  

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
I don't like using the word discrimination, because I think it is a loaded word. If you can tell something apart from another, you are discriminating.
The entire discussion is about a business right to deny service.

Yes, I discriminate based on religion. So does my church. If you were to walk in to my church, you would not be allowed to partake of the eucharist. This is not because we are mean, it is because you are not Orthodox Christian.
Your Church is essentially a PRIVATE MEMBERS-ONLY CLUB.

When I got married, I married someine nb of the opposite sex as me. I did this because I was being discriminatory. I would not have married someone of the same sex.
You are not a business that is open to the public.  You are a private individual which operates more like a PRIVATE CLUB.

I don't believe that something like homosexuality is an innate thing.
I don't believe that something like Christianity is an innate thing.

One isn't a thief for desiring to take things that don't belong to them. One isn't a homosexual for desiring to have sexual relations with someine of the same sex.
Ok,

And just as a repentant thief no longer has to be a thief, someone who repents of homosexuality no longer has to be a homosexual.
Sure, and?

Race and sexual orientation are not the same. One is a matter of choice one genetics.
Two important points here.  Protected Classes are not necessarily genetic conditions.  For example, RELIGION is not genetic, and yet, it is protected.

Secondly, homosexuality is listed as a sin, BUT it is NOT WORSE THAN ADULTERY OR DIVORCE OR VIOLATING THE SABBATH. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Snoopy
The idea that he is refusing to make cake for sinners, or any grouping of people, HAS NOT BEEN PROVEN.  
The cake guy said he didn't approve of gay marriage.  So that has been "proven".

He also said he was a Christian, but that must have been an non-sequitur.

Oh wait,

Masterpiece Cakeshop will happily create custom cakes for anyone. But like many cake artists, Jack cannot create all custom cakes. He cannot create custom cakes that express messages or celebrate events that conflict with his religious beliefs. [LINK]
KABOOM!!!!
Snoopy
Snoopy
The entire discussion is about a business right to deny service.
It is about a person's right in the private sector is it not?
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@3RU7AL
The cake guy said he didn't approve of gay marriage.  So that has been "proven".
Sure, I'll buy that.

He also said he was a Christian, but that must have been an non-sequitur.

Oh wait,

Masterpiece Cakeshop will happily create custom cakes for anyone. But like many cake artists, Jack cannot create all custom cakes. He cannot create custom cakes that express messages or celebrate events that conflict with his religious beliefs. [LINK]
KABOOM!!!!

What is the explosion a reference to?  Why is "religious" emboldened? 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
You should not be forced or threatened into a contract that you don't wish to be a part of, that's fascist and maybe communism. 
Please explain how any form of either Fascism or Communism forces people to bake gay wedding cakes.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Snoopy
Masterpiece Cakeshop will happily create custom cakes for anyone. But like many cake artists, Jack cannot create all custom cakes. He cannot create custom cakes that express messages or celebrate events that conflict with his religious beliefs. [LINK]
KABOOM!!!!

This is the cake man from the court case.  This is his website.  This is the current text.

HE CLAIMS THAT HE CANNOT CREATE CUSTOM CAKES THAT EXPRESS MESSAGES OR CELEBRATE EVENTS THAT CONFLICT WITH HIS RELIGIOUS BELIEFS.

Religious is highlighted in bold text for emphasis. 

You suggested he refused for "no reason" or "personal reasons", but his website actually says religious beliefs.
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@3RU7AL

Masterpiece Cakeshop will happily create custom cakes for anyone. But like many cake artists, Jack cannot create all custom cakes. He cannot create custom cakes that express messages or celebrate events that conflict with his religious beliefs. [LINK]
KABOOM!!!!

This is the cake man from the court case.  This is his website.  This is the current text.

HE CLAIMS THAT HE CANNOT CREATE CUSTOM CAKES THAT EXPRESS MESSAGES OR CELEBRATE EVENTS THAT CONFLICT WITH HIS RELIGIOUS BELIEFS.

Religious is highlighted in bold text for emphasis. 

You suggested he refused for "no reason" or "personal reasons", but his website actually says religious beliefs.

Religious beliefs are personal reasons, and the idea that he refused sinners is disproven in the claim in the first sentence, now underlined.   I did not suggest, there was "no reason".  I believe there was no such standard in his case, and that's part of why he was continually harassed.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Watching your wording there, nice.  The last thing you want to do is use a loaded word. 

You " discriminate "  based on religion.   This comment is going straight in my ( Mopac file ) for later use. 

Do you Orthodox Christians have a special way of indicating your a ortodox chistians?   
It sounds like you, a special handshake maybe.. 
I reckon i could easy look like a orthodox Christian.  Actually mopac. Stuff it.  For the next five minutes after i send this post i will actually be a ortodox Christian. 
Ready for this ?

And my time startssssssssssssssss now

You would have to be baptized and chrismated, and that would require a period of catechisis.

I doubt you would get passed the BS detector of someone ordained as a presbyter, but if it will get you to experience the divine liturgy, I encourage you to try.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Snoopy
Religious beliefs are personal reasons, and the idea that he refused sinners is disproven in the claim in the first sentence, now underlined.  
The only religious objection to gay marriage is that "The Bible" says, "homosexuality is a sin".

THEREFORE, you must also refuse to make cakes for other SINNERS, like adulterers and divorcees and Sabbath violators.

Because there is nothing in "The Bible" that makes homosexuality any different than any of those other sins.

I did not suggest, there was "no reason". 
Or "personal reasons".

I believe there was no such standard in his case, and that's part of why he was continually harassed.
No such what standard?  He seems to still be doing business...
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
None of this really has any bearing on my opinion that comparing race to sexual orientation is asinine.

At least one of these things can be kept in the closet.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
None of this really has any bearing on my opinion that comparing race to sexual orientation is asinine.

At least one of these things can be kept in the closet.
In many cases "race" can be "kept in the closet" as well.

Religion can also be "kept in the closet".

Race and religion and homosexuality can all be protected classes - EVEN IF they are purely voluntary choices.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
Second Circuit Says Sexual Orientation Is Protected Under Title VII
With a broader circuit split, this case will almost certainly give the high court another opportunity to resolve the issue. [LINK]

I don't believe this actually relevent to the right to refuse service because of sexual orientation.

And truthfully, the legislation referenced in the OP has to do with protecting the rights of religious organizations. 

So really, instead of talking about baking cakes, we should be talking about marrying homosexuals in churches and preventing ordinations based on sexual orientations. 

Really, for you to take offense at this legislation is to show contempt for our right to governance of our own religious affairs. 

As I said, in my town even, legislation is being pushed in city hall that constitutes as government meddling in our religious affairs.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
Some places religion has to be kept in the closet, even in today's world. There are many places today when you cannot openly profess Christianity.

I am not arguing that homosexuals should be oppressed. I am arguing that the government should not tell us to choose between betraying our faith and obeying the government.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
I am arguing that the government should not tell us to choose between betraying our faith and obeying the government.
Exactly how is "serving homosexuals" a "betrayal of your faith"?

I just don't see anything about gay marriage in "The Bible".

I mean, clearly homosexuality is a "sin", but no better or worse than a whole list of other "sins" you don't seem to object to.

And I don't care so much what your Church does, as long as it acts like a PRIVATE CLUB.

It's when you try and run a business that is OPEN TO THE PUBLIC, that it seems to get sticky.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
We certainly do not acknowledge homosexual marriage as being a reality.

Just because I don't go around pointing out every sin that there is does not mean that I  don't have objections.

Truthfully, you don't even know what a sin is, and as you are an unbeliever, I don't really respect your appeal to our scripture.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
You should not be forced or threatened into a contract that you don't wish to be a part of, that's fascist and maybe communism. 
Please explain how any form of either Fascism or Communism forces people to bake gay wedding cakes.
you being unnecessarily obstinate,  highlighted for emphasis of which contracting for a custom cake in included.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
We certainly do not acknowledge homosexual marri as being a reality.
Based on what "Bible" verse?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
you being unnecessarily obstinate,  highlighted for emphasis of which contracting for a custom cake in included.
Please explain how any form of either Fascism or Communism forces people into business contracts?
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
be pedantic, that's fine.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
be pedantic, that's fine.
Be inaccurate, that's fine.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
lol you ignore most of my questions because answering greatly weakens your argument and you think that goes unnoticed?  if you think you've succeeded in diverting attention away from that fact you are sadly mistaken.
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@3RU7AL
Exactly how is "serving homosexuals" a "betrayal of your faith"?
This was never proven.

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@3RU7AL

THEREFORE, you must also refuse to make cakes for other SINNERS, like adulterers and divorcees and Sabbath violators.

Because there is nothing in "The Bible" that makes homosexuality any different than any of those other sins.
That has been disproven.  This is the equivalent of speaking loudly while plugging your ears.  Maybe someone will bite eventually and confirm your bias.