Quasi Dungeons and Dragons

Author: drafterman

Total: 4,160
Buddamoose
Debates: 4
Buddamoose
-->
@Earth
lets dig up the bodies. One of the hints mentioned something being buried at a crossroads between life and death.
Earth
Earth
-->
@drafterman
But what about the body? Are there any hints as to who he is? 
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@Earth
(he literally just said whose body it was 😂. Thats the hint genius 😂)
Earth
Earth
-->
@Buddamoose
(Exactly what I was thinking.) 

Earth
Earth
-->
@Buddamoose
( It said he was hanged by Roberts rope. And I want to know whats on him.)
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@Earth
(No, the rope isn't Robert's... the body is Roberts. As in, it is as if Roberts was dead and was hanging from the rope)

Roberts is indeed still with the group and alive, but also dead and hanging from the rope.
Earth
Earth
-->
@drafterman
(Jesus I need sleep.)

Is the body cold? Still warm? 
drafterman
drafterman
Grahf reaches out to touch the body and it instantly turns to ash and disperses into the wind.
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
(i've been through the desert on a horse with no name)(Wonder if it's the old priest....)(let's make sure nothing crawls out of the ground)
Earth
Earth
-->
@drafterman
Whatever. Start digging up graves. 
drafterman
drafterman
Each of the members of the party pick a grave and start digging. The graves contain the remains of coffins whose plain wood has long since rotted. The bones are old an moldly. Anything of value has either decayed through the passage of time or has been looted by previous adventurers. While searching the seventh coffin, they notice that, underneath one of the bodies, is a thick book, bound with a black leather cover and steel hinges and fastenings. It does not show any signs of advanced age or decay as with the rest of the discovery.
Earth
Earth
-->
@drafterman
I read the book. 
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
(I'm burning the gallows when we leave)(doesn't the drow or someone have infravision?  anything underground still producing heat?  Digging up bodies seems to totally safe and a wonderful idea, let's get to it!)
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Earth
(Titled "How to Serve Man")
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
(black leather? Steel hinges? Sounds like a necromancer's spellbook 😮)
drafterman
drafterman
The group instantly recognizes the hand writing as that of the forged letter and the note from Strahd. Most of the text is in an indecipherable short-hand, but there are a few passages that are intelligible:

I am The Ancient, I am The Land. My beginnings are lost in the darkness of the past. I was the warrior, I was good and just. I thundered across the land like the wrath of a just god, but the war years and the killing years wore down my soul as the wind wears stone into sand.

All goodness slipped from my life; I found my youth and strength gone and all I had left was death. My army settled in the valley of Barovia and took power over the people in the name of a just god, but with none of a god’s grace or justice. I called for my family, long unseated from their ancient thrones, and brought them here to settle in the castle Ravenloft. They came with a younger brother of mine, Sergei. He was handsome and youthful. I hated him for both.

From the families of the valley, one spirit shone above all others. A rare beauty, who was called “perfection,” “joy,” and “treasure.” Her name was Tatyana and I longed for her to be mine. I loved her with all my heart. I loved her for her youth. I loved her for her joy. But she spurned me! “Old One” was my name to her – “elder” and “brother” also. Her heart went to Sergei. They were betrothed. The date was set.

With words she called me “brother,” but when I looked into her eyes they reflected another name – “death.” It was the death of the aged that she saw in me. She loved her youth and enjoyed it. But I had squandered mine. The death she saw in me turned her from me. And so I came to hate death, my death. My hate is very strong: I would not be called “death” so soon. I made a pact with Vol, a pact of Blood. On the day of the wedding, I killed Sergei, my brother. My pact was sealed with his blood, his…divinity. I found Tatyana weeping in the garden east of the Chapel. She fled from me. She would not let me explain, and a great anger swelled within me. She had to understand the pact I made for her! I pursued her. Finally, in despair, she flung herself from the walls of Ravenloft and I watched everything I ever wanted fall from my grasp forever. It was a thousand feet through the mists. No trace of her was ever found. Not even I know her final fate. Arrows from the castle guards pierced me to my soul, but I did not die. Nor did I live. I became undead, forever.

I have studied much since then. “Vampyr” is my new name. I still lust for life and youth, and I curse the living that took them from me. Even the sun is against me. it is the sun and light I fear the most. But little else can harm me now. Even a stake through my heart does not kill me, though it holds me from movement. But the sword, that cursed sword that Sergei brought! I must dispose of that awful tool! I fear and hate it as much as the sun.

I have often hunted for Tatyana. I have even felt her within my grasp, but she escapes me! She taunts me! She taunts me! What will it take to bend her love to me? I now reside far below Ravenloft. I live among the dead and sleep beneath the very stones of this hollow castle of despair. I shall seal shut the walls of the stairs that none may disturb me.
GAME PAUSED - ADVANCED TO LEVEL 4!

Earth
Earth
-->
@Buddamoose
(Meh. Maybe we can learn cool shit?)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
Snerp looks over the book with Grahf to see if he can glean anything from it as well. 
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
(Oh boy, level 4 👏👏)
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@secularmerlin
@Earth
@kindertina
Eikka
  • +1 2nd level Spell Slot
  • Can prepare an additional 1st or 2nd level spell per day.
  • Choice: +2 to a single ability score; +1 to two ability scores; or a Feat (non-Unearthed Arcana)
  • Choice: A Cleric Cantrip
Grahf
  • Can prepare an additional 1st level spell per day.
  • Choice: +2 to a single ability score; +1 to two ability scores; or a Feat (non-Unearthed Arcana)
Luraxt
  • +1 2nd Level Spell Slot
  • Choice: A Wizard Cantrip
  • Choice: 2 1st or 2nd level Spells to add to your spellbook
Roberts
  • +1 1st level spell slot
  • Choice: +1 1st level Wizard Spell from the abjuration or evocation school.
Snerp
  • +1 2nd level spell slot
  • Choice: A Bard Cantrips
  • Choice: A 1st or 2nd level Bard Spells
Earth
Earth
-->
@drafterman
+2 to STR, Dragon Hide
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Earth
(You sure? It doesn't seem like you get any benefit from that feat)
Earth
Earth
-->
@drafterman
(Fuck it, I'll pick something else)
Earth
Earth
-->
@drafterman
Feat is Heavy ArmorMaster
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@drafterman
Feat spell sniper, spell sniper cantrip eldritch blast. Cleric cantrip word of radiance. Do I need to prepare those extra spells now or when I next long rest?
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Earth
(ok. And it's an either/or thing. You can get the +2 to strength or the feat)
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
choice 1 (burning hands)
choice 2 (dual wield feat)
Earth
Earth
-->
@drafterman
Just to +2 to STR then.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
1) I'll take the magic initiative feat.

Two cantrips from the sorcerer class(charisma as the modifier.)

- Ray of Frost
- Poison Spray

1st level spell for once a long rest use:

- Feather Fall

2) Bard Cantrip: Friends

3) 1st or 2nd level Bard Spell: Bane

I'm also going to use this level up to switch up my spells as i was unaware bards could do tbh.

1st level spells:

- Cure Wounds
- Unearthly Chorus
- Dissonant Whispers
- Bane
- Faerie Fire

2nd Level Spells

- Hold Person
- Suggestion
Buddamoose
Buddamoose