Quasi Dungeons and Dragons

Author: drafterman

Total: 4,160
Buddamoose
Debates: 4
Buddamoose
(when we proceed we need to all be ready at a moments notice for if we run into werewolves. Earth can cast heavy fog around us, I can cast minor illusion to make it appear as if we turned and started running in the opposite direction, and we can all grab ahold of each other and make haste out of trouble.)
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Buddamoose
he who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day.

(anyone have any lore about werewolves, or perhaps they aren't lycanthropes but just weremen)
(I would imagine we aren't all the quiet a group so if there's something out there, they probably know where we are etc)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
(pretty sure werewolves are lycanthropes, but differ from the stereotypical "full moon" lycanthrope in that they can change back and forth at will 🤔)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
Im starting to get the feeling that this evil the lady Ireena is succumbing to is lyncathropy, and this strange fog is a purposeful ploy to isolate these villages to be preyed upon more easily
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Buddamoose
i'm starting to get the feeling we aren't in Kansas anymore, I think you can have shape sifters or half man half wolf that aren't actual lycanthropes but I don't know for certain in this game

I am as prepared as I can be until the situation changes, I am ready to press on.
Earth
Earth
Nonetheless, we should keep moving.

drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
The party regathers themselves on the road. As they take stock of their surroundings they notice that the mountains are now suddenly behind them, to the east. All the more odd, given that at no point did they notice the road change from its flat grade to indicate that they passed over or between them. 

The fog opens up in front of them, revealing the path ahead. Jutting from the impenetrable woods on both sides of the road, are high stone buttresses looming gray in the fog. Huge iron gates hang on the stonework and dew clings with cold tenacity to the rusted bars. Two headless statues of armed guardians flank the gate, their heads now lying among the weeds at their feet. They greet you only with silence.

Earth
Earth
-->
@Buddamoose
Welp! Should we use minor illusion to make an illusion of one of us walking in, just to see what happens?
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@drafterman
are there recent-ish tracks that look as if people have been going in and out of the gates?
Is there any sound or perhaps an unusual absence of?
drafterman
drafterman
(I'll note that minor illusion can only create static images of objects)

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
It is eerily silent, but not necessarily more silent than a forest would be at this time of night. However, the sky here on this side of the mountains is cloud-covered, muting the light of the full moon and making things more difficult to see. The tracks here have the same appearance and disposition of those examined elsewhere on the road: horse-drawn carriages leading to and through the gates.

As you approach the gate with your inspection, the gates open of their own apparent accord, accompanied by a piercing screech that rips through the silence.
Earth
Earth
Lets walk in. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@drafterman
I pray to Zud that the uncertainty I feel may be gone from me.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@secularmerlin
@Buddamoose
@Earth
@drafterman
It appears our arrival has been announced.  We may as well proceed, though cautiously.

(I'm a bit more concerned of what might come from behind us than what might from in front)
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
My prayer finished I stride through the gates with no further hesitation.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
Lets walk in.

Ah yes, gates open up by themselves with headless guards at the entrance, and this guy wants to just walk right in. Got some stones on ya 😂
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
My prayer finished I stride through the gates with no further hesitation.

Idk about guys, but I'm gonna follow behind good old Zuddy duddy 
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Buddamoose
what kind of funeral ritual would Zud like  Asking for a friend

Are the plants growing around and inside consistent with what we have seen and would expected in this area?  Are there any placards near the entrance or statues?

Given the condition of the trees and plants we have seen, we should be aware of any that look abnormally healthy compared to what we have witnessed so far.
drafterman
drafterman
Zud imbues Eikka with the certainty of action usually reserved to small children and heads of state. The plants and trees are of the same species that one would expect of this area but everything has the air of being... old... aged, but also untouched by time, as if not permitted to die. The stonework of the gates are worn smooth with time, and there is no evidence of any signage: Anything carved into the stonework would have long since eroded, and any wood would have long since rotted.

As they pass through, the gates close with another hideous screech. The fog follows behind them stopping at the game, lingering among the bars but passing no further.
Earth
Earth
Look for any signs of people or any interesting spots
drafterman
drafterman
Before you, the fog has dispersed, giving partial visibility to the wide valley below you. In the distance, tall shapes loom out of the dense fog that surrounds everything, recognizable as village dwellings. No lights can be seen coming from the village, and tendrils of the fog snake between the silent buildings.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@drafterman
are we still seeing by mostly moonlight?

We should stay on the path and continue to follow the tracks.  Perhaps some of this area is still inhabited by the owners.

drafterman
drafterman
(Yes, though it is providing less light now, given the cloud cover)

Earth
Earth
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Maybe we can head to a village.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
I don't like the smell of this place we should be cautious. 
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
what kind of funeral ritual would Zud like  Asking for a friend
(😂😂😂)

Earth
Earth
-->
@secularmerlin
I mean, yeah.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Earth
(I believe we are in the village now)

We should head to the large building in the center.  The road passes by there anyway.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
It seems Barovia is the lightless village before us 🤔. I do not like how it is lightless, seeing as the messenger had just come from here not too long before. I fear we may be too late to save lady Ireena and collect our reward, or that we are walking right into a trap 😐

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Earth
(When a priestess of Zud tells you to be cautious it isn't idle conversation.)