Quasi Dungeons and Dragons

Author: drafterman

Total: 4,160
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
From the patrons, the names of "Barovia" and "Svalich Woods" evoke groans of dread and foreboding. All decry the Svalich forest at the base of the mountains as haunted, filled with monstrous wolves that walk like men. Occasionally the beasts will raid nearby settlements and steal away children and goods. More terrifying is the permanent fog that creeps over the peaks of the mountains and settles down, obscuring the forest floor. All who venture too deep into the forest are never to be seen...

...save for the Vistani. The patrons identify the man as a "Vistani": a nomadic people who travel from town to town, with no place to call their own. They are the only humans known to enter and leave the valley, though whether through protective magics or because they are in league with the evils that lie within is disputed.

Only the oldest of the patrons recognize the name "Barovia": name of both the valley and its chief settlement, at least according to legend. No one has laid eyes on Barovia or its native inhabitants in hundreds of years. Tales tell of warfare and curses and Dark Powers that have consumed the land and enshrouded it in eternal darkness.

As far as the visitor...

I did not choose to venture through the woods at night. The fog obscures even the noon sun and it is easy to get lost. The forest only allows you to pass if it wants you to pass. That I made it out is either through sheer luck or because it grew tired of toying with me.

He slowly rises to his feet shakily.

My need is great, and I must needs pass this message onto further settlements. I applaud you rising to this challenge and hope that additional help is unneeded.

Grahf inquires about places to stock up on goods. The barkeep informs them that the nearest shop would be several hours in the opposite direction, but encourages them to head in that direction away, as venturing in the woods - at any time - is a fool's errand.
Earth
Debates: 4
Earth
So I guess we can't use minor illusion to get by werewolves
Earth
Earth
Mm. Do we have anyone that can use wind based magic?
Earth
Earth
Could we possibly go around the forest?
Earth
Earth
Mm. It seems werewolves are immune to physical damage besides from silver weapons. Magic seems to hurt them.
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@Earth
We're not going around anything! When you see an obstacle you go straight through it!
Earth
Earth
-->
@secularmerlin
Even if it means our party goes under heavy risks?

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Earth
It is the will of Zud.

Earth
Earth
-->
@secularmerlin
Meh. Lets do it. Whats the worst thing that can happen?
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
I think time is of the essence and there is urgency so we probably can't go around the long way.  Should we rig up a rope that we can hold onto and not get seperated, should the fog get so thick we can't see?

are we sure they are werewolves rather than something like a dire wolf?

do any of these patrons or messenger have specifics on the creatures we might encounter?
drafterman
drafterman
The barkeep grumbles again as the visitor bids his adieu and moves on to the next settlement.

Barkeep: Tha' forest surrounds the mountains. People mostly complain about wolves comin' oot and eatin' thar crops and kids. Sometimes wolves bigger than wolves if ye catch my meaning. I think tha' stuff about werewolves is hocus pocum. I've lived at the foot of these mountains for twenty years and ain't never seen no werewolf. I don't go out much, but ain't none come in here and order a drink, tho'

Earth
Earth
-->
@drafterman
Well, that settles it. We move out as soon as possible.

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@Earth
Oh goody, a noble quest for we heroes, who knows perhaps maybe Mr. "Will of Zud" even finds himself a fine and beautiful damsel to court with the riches we are set to make if we succeed. 

I'm sure that sounds excellent, definitely something to write home about and brag to his parents about (😘🔥😰)

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
*Begins playing "Can't Fight This Feeling"* 

(😂)

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Buddamoose
(You know my character is a woman right?)
Earth
Earth
Can we head out now?
drafterman
drafterman
The party fixes their gear and plans to head west through the Svalich woods. Contrary to their memory from a few hours ago, the road to the west now appears complete, though still in a clear state of disarray. The dampness from the ever present fog has seeped into the ground, creating muddy pools of black water, reflecting the moonlight like some dark mirror. A clear tunnel through the fog has appeared in ominous invitation. In the distance, far to the west, rise the mountains that hide the valley of Barovia. The full moon peeks over the tops of the mountains, as if watching the party and awaiting their entrance into its domain.

The trek down the road is quiet and uneventful. Occasionally, the group will hear the rustle of leaves or the snap of a twig from the depths of the forest, but the fog blocks any attempts to visually locate the source of the sounds. Once in the woods, the wall of mist gradually closes behind them, moving with them as they venture further and further west. The gnarled branches of Svalich's trees lean over the roadway, as if reaching down, ready to snatch up an unwary traveler.
Earth
Earth
Nice. Do we have someone with a high Perception stat?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Earth
(I have a perception of 14. Anybody got a better score?)

drafterman
drafterman
(I'll save y'all the trouble. Eikka and Roberts each have a Perception of 14. Describe what you're doing/how you're doing it, and I'll make the appropriate checks.)
Earth
Earth
-->
@Buddamoose
Budda and I shall protect Eikla and Roberts while they look around for traps and such. Does anyone know any fire spells we can use?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@drafterman
Nature and perception, is there any sign of large predators? If so how old is the spoor?

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@drafterman
any evidence of recent use of this path, foot prints etc?  Any markings on the tree trunks, signage, carvings, animal markings etc?  Does the moon shine through the fog or does the fog not extend over us, is the sky above us open and not obscured by the fog?
drafterman
drafterman
Roberts studiously observes the surrounding environment, as of now, the moon shines down through an open sky, but the party notices that, as they have moved further and further west, the fog has begun to slowly encompass them. At this rate, by the time they finish the five hour hike, they will be completely surrounded.

Sticking to the road, Roberts notices that the primary evidence of travel are hoof-prints and wheel tracks: horse-drawn carriages. There are many such tracks, indicating heavy travel, the most recent of which is only a few weeks old.

Heading into the forest along the road's edge, he inspects the trees. They are ancient and withered. A casual inspection would make one suspect that they are all dead, but nevertheless they are still alive. Dead and rotting leaves litter the forest floor. The primary evidence of animal life are wolf tracks, normal and giant sized, as well as some sort of wolf-human footprint. Webbing of various sizes and consistency cling to the odd tree here and there. There is no evidence of anything artificial or man-made.

Most notably, however, is the fog. It grows much thicker as one enters the forest, as if pushing the intruder back onto the road. The air grows thick and breathing becomes labored. Sounds are muted and even a shout only travels a few feet before being swallowed by the mists. Though he is only a few feet off of the road, Roberts can no longer hear the party, and can just barely make out their silhouettes through the fog.

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
(it seems we're gonna have to tie a rope to all of us so we dont get seperated in the fog). If we run into a wolf or wolves, i have animal friendship/can speak simple messages to them)

Earth
Earth
-->
@Buddamoose
Agreed. 

We should stick together, maybe only arms length apart at all times
Earth
Earth
We can use a branch in a pinch
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Buddamoose
@drafterman
yes, the rope idea is what I was thinking as well

do we or can we get walking sticks? 

(might be useful as feelers if the fog become that thick)

is the width of the path fairly constant?

(should we no be able to see knowing the distance between trees could help us stay on the path)
drafterman
drafterman
(The width of the road is constant, yes. And the fog only threatens to separate those who venture off of the road. Those remaining on the road notice themselves in essentially a clear "bubble" of air, perhaps 20 feet in diameter that seems to move with them as they move west)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
Those remaining on the road notice themselves in essentially a clear "bubble" of air, perhaps 20 feet in diameter that seems to move with them as they move west

All my time in the Feywild and ive never seen such a thing. We need to proceed with caution, I think that barkeep may have been deluding himself out of fear about the possibility of werewolves. 

(Does anybody have detect magic or something like that, that can maybe pinpoint exactly whats going on with this fog, and perhaps why it's behaving so unnaturally?)