Quasi Dungeons and Dragons

Author: drafterman

Total: 4,160
Buddamoose
Debates: 4
Buddamoose
Snerp steps forward smiling at Donavich and waving. 

Hello Donavich, or should I say, Dawnbringer. Nice to see you again. I hope you haven't redirtied the place after the cleaning i did last night. I must wonder, why are you looking so pale? You certainly looked tired and distraught before, but pale? 

That's concerning considering your son in the undercroft. Did something happen Donavich? I really hope you didn't let him out out of fear we would come back to kill him, especially when I said I had every intention of saving him...

Snerp cautiously observes the surrounding, looking inside from the doorway to see if the church has remained semi-cleaned. 
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@Earth
(you should insight check the priests answer to my questions regarding why he's pale and if he let his son out. Figure out if he's lying 👍)
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
Donavich frowns slightly. He is... resting. I'm sure I look about as well as I feel: exhausted.

It doesn't appear that Donavich is holding anything back and is indeed tired and stressed out from what he has been dealing with.

[Insight Check: d20 (8) + 4 = 12]

Donavich leads the party around behind the church to the graveyard where the coffin is laid to rest inside the prepared plot. Donavich hands some shovels to the Ireena and Ismark who begin filling it in while Donavich offers a prayer.

O MorningLord,
The safe light falls, heralding a new day
The warm blush carries your everlasting promise
I soak in the grace you give 
At the dawn of each morning.
With the sun, hope also rises 
To cast light into the darkness.
Sweet songs flow from skies 
Emerging in the hazy glow.
Sounds of comfort 
That lead us to wonder again at the beauty all around.

A taste of your light is poured into each new dawn.
We are reminded of new birth,
Of your redeeming love
And with this wake up call,
Each and everyone can trust in
The promise of eternity
And carry its gentle presence into
The day anew.

Donavich, Ismark, and Ireena bow their heads in reverence.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
As others bow their heads in reverance. Snerp starts playing the Song of High Noon.

🎶O Lord of Light, forever in our hearts
Always inspiring us in our arts
Seal our hearts with your blessed sun
O joyous day, when the heavens open
Zenith of the Sun
We thank thee for all thou hath done
We raise our palms to this holy star
Hear our chanting from afar

O Lord of Light, illuminating the path
Saving us from the darkness beckoning wrath
We carry out your will, Dawn Lord
Your light, your loving ways are forever adored.
Zenith of the Sun
We thank thee for all thou hath done
We raise our palms to this holy star
Hear our chanting from afar🎶

When he finishes Snerp bows his head as well and speaks a short prayer

May the Morninglord shield you from darkness in death, and take in your soul to bask in the glory of the dawn eternally.

Snerp then grabs a shovel that is presumably near the grave and finds an empty spot in the graveyard and starts preparing a grave for the small child.
drafterman
drafterman
With the ceremony done, Donavich leads them back into the chapel.

Donavich: What do you intend to do now?
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
(officially I'm digging another burial plot for the child.)
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Buddamoose
(Ah, I didn't catch that edit. We'll come inside after you're done with that one)
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Buddamoose
nvm
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
(sounds good)

Snerp finishes digging the grave, and lays the childs body in the grave. He pulls out his lute to play another hymn, but his fingers stumble across the strings and he begins weeping again, the words of a prayer and vow coming out instead, his throat choking up as he does.

I'm sorry. I hope the Morninglord offers you his protection in death. I swear your death will not be in vain, and Maggie will die, or I will die trying...

Snerp grabs the shovel again and fills the grave in, tears still streaming down his face. When he is finished he follows the group back to the church.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
What do you intend to do now?

We need to get silver pieces to make powdered silver so you can make holy water for us. We'll need it for your son. 

Snerp turns to the rest of the group

But I implore you all that Maggie must be stopped. Any moment wasted could result in another child suffering a heinous end. We cannot let this go on any longer. 
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
(plus a hag would be easier to take on than a vampire. Unless the vamp is a fledgling, in which case it'd be of similar difficulty. 

It's also important to note that Hags are witches. Various spell components(such as powdered silver and/or spell scrolls) are likely to be found in her den(the windmill. Plus the stone she has can be used to sneak up on the vampire while he's sleeping and stake him in his resting place, which will neutralize him.)
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Buddamoose
We have disrupted her plans, she is aware of us now.  She has probably formed a plan and perhaps gathered reinforcements, it's probable she will come for us before we find her.  This event could be something we are not equipped to handle, just bear that in mind.
(is there such a thing and can this priest create holy ground?  that would be a good place to lure evil creatures to I would think)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
We have disrupted her plans, she is aware of us now.  She has probably formed a plan and perhaps gathered reinforcements, it's probable she will come for us before we find her.

I certainly hope she is foolish enough to try. Reinforcements or not we cannot let a potential trap sway us into not doing something. Can we even call ourselves good, call ourselves heroes, if we do nothing and another child dies by her hands? 

(Holy Ground? There's the "Hallow" spell. But Hags wont be affected by it. They're not undead?)

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
(Hallow... It's a 5th level spell, so would be likely to fail even if we got our hands on a scroll for it.)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
(vampires are hands down more powerful than Hags. Its important to note that we didn't really stumble upon Maggie in the same sense that we did the vampire. Note in the course of this main quest no sign of a vampire? 

Yet Maggie kept popping up, as in we were being lead to Maggie and hints kept popping up about her while we were in town doing stuff. Whereas the church being sus wasn't brought up independently fmpov. It was brought up as a result of me and eikka going there independently, and you bringing up that we did go there to Ismarck.). 

Tl;Dr foreshadowing is leading us to Maggie, not the vampire.)

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
(RN it seems to be a choice of Maggie, Vampire, or leave town. Cause the plan was to take Ireena to a larger city in Barovia, no?)
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Buddamoose
(yes and windmill is on the way.....wasn't Maggi at the windmill?  I don't recall who was but I thought it was her.)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
(something just feels so off about this whole situation. The town has been noted as seeming mostly empty. Where is everybody else? Did they all die in the attacks? Why did Strahd not just send forces en masse and end it right away?) 
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
yes and windmill is on the way.....wasn't Maggi at the windmill? 

(Yep)
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Buddamoose
(I think the town folk are live stock, and probably in hiding, those that remain and are still alive.  The Vistini(sp) are still luring people here to replace those who in some way "expire", to replenish the town)(Once we reach the next town on the out skirts perhaps the influence will be less and we'll find out more)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
(Once we reach the next town on the out skirts perhaps the influence will be less and we'll find out more

(So getting closer to Strahds castle is going to reduce the inflience of the curse he put on the land? Ismarck verified that the letter was sent out by him. So are you suggesting he is working with Strahd to lure people here? And Ireena and Ismarck are merely a ploy? If so, going their course will be doing exactly what's wanted.)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
(like I'm not quite following ur reasoning for moving on an ignoring the vampire and Maggie? If there is an "influence" [though i honestly don't get what you mean with this if it's not regarding Strahds curse] it's been highly foreshadowed as coming from Strahd. We are supposed to be taking Ireena to a place that is closer to Strahd?)
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Buddamoose
(I'd have to look at the area map then.  It was my understanding this town was in the opposite direction.  If the town is closer then yeah that sounds like some kind of trap and really bad idea.)

(he actually said the letter that brought us here was a fake, it had his father's name on it, but he said it was not written by his father)
Ismarck verified that the letter was sent out by him.
(Maggi is on the way so only thing we need to decide on is whether to deal the the priest's son now or later)
drafterman
drafterman
Ismark: From what you describe, she seems to be a magical - and power - creature. While I will certainly help you confront Maggie in regards  to these accusations, I am not going to drag my sister into a confrontation. I insist on securing her safety in Vallaki, first.

Ireena: Ismark, I can handle my self, if you'd just let me...

Ismark: The last few times you were out by yourself, Strahd found you. It's too dangerous.

Donavich: Ismark... Ireena... do not fight. I agree that this is no place for Ireena, but, if you wish my advice, it would be to not stop in Vallaki and go to Krezk on the other side of the valley. Is much father away and safer. I have heard great things of the Abbott there.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
(he actually said the letter that brought us here was a fake, it had his father's name on it, but he said it was not written by his father)

(Ohhhhh, yeah that's right.)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
it would be to not stop in Vallaki and go to Krezk on the other side of the valley. I

(It's sus that Ismarck wants to go to Velleki)
drafterman
drafterman
Seeing the confusion, Ismark steps forward: Sorry, I forgot you are new here. Our village here is on the east end of the valley. The Old Svalich road winds through the valley, steadily heading to the west. Everything in the valley can be reached by this road or some side path off of it. Vallaki lies in the center of the valley and Krezk far to the west. Between here and Vallki are side roads that will take you to the windmill you seek and... Castl Ravenloft; to get further away from it, we must first risk passing by it.

Ireena: There is also a Vistani encampment near the village here, by the Tser pool. We may wish to visit them as we leave: they have horses.

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
 I insist on securing her safety in Vallaki, first.

I think we could use all of the help we can get against Maggie and your sister looks the part of being a more than capable fighter. Eikka is one of the fiercest fighters I've known, and she is a woman 😤. 

But if you don't mind me asking. Why does Strahd seek to capture your sister so depsperately? And would Krezk not sound like a better idea than Valleki?
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@drafterman
Ireena, Ismark, Donavich the distance may help for a while but this must stop, this evil must be stopped.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
(so velleki is past the castle. Hrmmmmmm, I think we should make a pit stop at Maggie's. Then the Vistani camp for horses, and go to Krezk. Further away, less influence if there is something influencing things.)