Quasi Dungeons and Dragons

Author: drafterman

Total: 4,160
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@Buddamoose
You have to look at this from her perspective Snerp old bean. You do look like an old child.
Buddamoose
Debates: 4
Buddamoose
-->
@secularmerlin
We bringbsad tidings I'm afraid. Eikka hefts the sack. I'm afraid we were too late to save this one

Put that away

I whisper 

We don't know if they're involved

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@secularmerlin
You do look like an old child.

I knew I should have trimmed the beard 😐
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
The hole in the door is covered up and a few seconds pass before Ismark slowly opens the door. He smiles as he recognizes Roberts, Grahf, and Luraxt.

Ah, good. You've returned and brought friends.

Ismark looks around before letting the group in and swiftly shutting and barricading the door. The interior of the mansion is well furnished, yet thefixtures show signs of great wear. Noticeable oddities arethe boarded-up windows and the presence of holy symbolsin every room. The burgomaster is in a side drawingroom on the floor-lying in a simple wooden coffin surroundedby wilting flowers and a faint odor of decay.

Behind Ismark is a woman clad in ornate armor with a high-collared cloak draped around her. In her hands she wields a long sword. She regards the characters silently as they pile into the house.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Buddamoose
I'd just as soon see if they are involved straight away. How better than confronting them with the evidence. Eikka whispers back, though she does reshoulder the bag.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@secularmerlin
I'd just as soon see if they are involved straight away. How better than confronting them with the evidence

That might actually be a g- 

I begin to whisper in reply, my words cut off as my gaze falls on Ireena. I sit in awe for a split moment, then begin walking towards her.

You are magnificent! Are you a knight? I bet you're a knight of some or-

and fall flat on my face suddenly, tripping over my own beard and faceplanting on the floor.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Buddamoose
Facepalm
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@secularmerlin
(seems like a good character[Ireena], I'd maybe use my whisper getting cut off and tripping as an excuse to confront them 😉)
Earth
Earth
-->
@drafterman
(Sorry, thought we were going to a dungeon.)

I look around in the room I am in. Anything off?

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@drafterman
Snerp watch your feet. I appologize he is likely upset by our sorrowful burden. Again lifts the bag. We found this poor child on Maggie's meatpie cart.
Earth
Earth
(...We brought the child?)
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
(I step in front of Snerp, with a respectful bow I take Ireena's hand and kiss the back, while introducing myself)
(once the pleasantries are over I suggest we find a room......to discuss the events and plans)
drafterman
drafterman
(@Earth: What's off is the fact that the outside of the building shows signs of attack, the windows are all boarded up, and there is a dead body in a coffin in a side room).

Ireena rolls her eyes at the fawning and sheathes her sword. Seriously, Ismark. This is who you find?

Ismark smiles sheepishly and holds up his hands. Just wait! They're great adventurers. You should hear the challenges they've overcome just to get here.

Both Ismark and Ireena look at Eikka with horror, at the revelation.

Ismark: Is... is that child dead?! What was it doing in her cart?

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@drafterman
(the coffin and body is probably their father)

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@drafterman
I didn't get the chance to ask her plans for the child but I wouldn't eat the meat pies she sells. Snerp tried to save the poor thing but alas it was too late. It is something we plan on bringing up with her when we visit the windmill.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
Seriously, Ismark. This is who you find?

I jump back up to my feet, and look at Ireena.

As much as I would like to ask you all kinda questions because you just look like a song needs to be made in your honor. But this is far more important. Eikka is right, Maggie herself said the townsfolk gave her the child and that, "the meat goes bad when they're dead." Then she disappeared. Clearly these meat pies are being made out of kids.

I eye both Ireena and Ismarck suspiciously

Neither of you two would know anything about that would you? I'm sorry but she said the town knew about it

I turn to exclusively Ismarck, a cold, almost pained expression on my face as a glimmer of red appears in my pupils

(minor illusion, but hey, highly nimble and dextrous and i "tripped" over my feet, so perhaps maybe Snerp is just a performer who sells certain angles. Like not being much of a threat after tripping over my beard 😏)

And you are the self-professed leader of the town. So you'll have to excuse me if I have to wonder whether or not you do. Either way with or without you she and anyone else involved will be brought down. 
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
What's off is the fact that the outside of the building shows signs of attack, the windows are all boarded up, and there is a dead body in a coffin in a side room)

(Idk, dead body in a house doesn't seem all too wierd given what we've found out about this town so far. Seems fairly par for the course 😂.)
drafterman
drafterman
Ismark sighs and looks down. I have heard rumors, of course, but never saw any direct evidence. This village lives in constant fear of Strahd and other evil beings. We are mostly concerned for our own survival. That someone would give away their child is... not unheard of.

Ireena, confused: I don't understand, if she wanted the children alive, why would she kill this one?

Ismark: I don't know... as far as being the town leader, that's... a recent development.

Ireena: Out father was the leader. And he did his best to protect us and this village, much to Strahd's annoyance. A few weeks ago he began assaulting the manor, sending all sorts of beasts and creatures. We held off attack after attack, so forgive us if we were not as involved in local politics as you deem appropriate.

Three days ago, the stress of the attacks was too much and our father suffered a heart attack. So yes, technically, Ismark is burgomaster now. 

Ismark: But we can only deal with one problem at a time. Strahd's real goal is Ireena. For some reason, he is infatuated with her, and I want to get her out of here-

Ireena: I refuse to leave while our father is unburied!

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@drafterman
Very well, let's bury him properly, though if you insist on going to the church there's some potential issues to deal with.......(if they wish to go there I will explain what we have learned from there.)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
Ireena, confused: I don't understand, if she wanted the children alive, why would she kill this one?

(I'm gonna start doing this in third person tbh. Comes out a bit better)

Snerp bows his head in shame

I cannot lie. Maggie attempted to run when i asked her about what was thumping in her cart. I did not yet suspect she might have been hiding a frail child. Perhaps an adult. So when I gave chase I used my magical abilities to upend the cart to end the chase. But the truth was far more evil than I would have suspected.

I tried everything I could to save him, I truly did, but it was too late. 

Snerp slumps down on the floor and begins weeping softly.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Buddamoose
Eikka lays a sympathetic hand on Snerp's shoulder. You did not know my friend.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@secularmerlin
(Snerp has a soft spot for the little ones 😢)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
(shout out to this being the largest thread on the site 😂😂. 2,200+ posts and going strong 👏👏)
drafterman
drafterman
Ireena kneels down next to Snerp and places a hand on his shoulder. This is a tragedy, to be sure, but you acted bravely and with the best intent. That is all we can ask for. None in this town have shown bravery in the longest of time, such that me and my brother have despaired that our father would never be laid to rest.

With you here, I feel that may change. She places a small kiss on his forehead before standing back up.

Ismark: This valley is dark and full of terrors, it is probably best we discuss this further under the light of the morning.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Buddamoose
(Was it your plan to have every woman in the house touching you sympathetically? Because we both are. You sly dog 😉)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@secularmerlin
(Was it your plan to have every woman in the house touching you sympathetically? Because we both are. You sly dog 😉)

(I mean, I'm not gonna complain about it 😏, but that was genuine from Snerp. Soft spot for kids, gonna tear the poor guy up inside. He's got one mission in mind right now and that's killing Maggie 👏👏)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
This valley is dark and full of terrors

(Gif)
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Buddamoose
She would appear to be some species of hag.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
Snerp sniffles and wipes away his tears, hugging Eikka before looking to Ireena and speaking shakily. His expression pained initially, but as he speaks it and his voice shifts to one of anger and certainty. 

Thank you both sincerely, I appreciate your kindness. I wish I felt that was all that could have been asked for. But Maggie must be stopped, she could have children right now and every moment we delay could be another innocent child lost.  

I swear I, and it sounds like we all, will aid in burying your father. But this evil cannot continue a moment longer. If there is just one child in Maggie's possession, I could not sleep while that chance remains possible.

Snerp regards the group

I implore you all to join me, I will not act as if I could handle this by myself. But with or without you, I will go. Maggie was not wrong when she called me a murderer... and I have to do whatever is necessary to make up for that. 

Snerp begins walking to the door with every intent to go alone, even if to his certain death. 
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@secularmerlin
@Earth
@TheDredPriateRoberts
@kindertina
(Somebody wanna do the honors and knock me the eff out before I leave? Snerp isn't quite of sound mind and needs sleep 😂😂. 

Might I suggest asking why they're making out burying their father to be so difficult? Cause they aren't making it sound as easy as the average burial 😐. I'll be ktfo'd so can't exactly do it myself 😂)