Quasi Dungeons and Dragons

Author: drafterman

Total: 4,160
Buddamoose
Debates: 4
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
(we should consider retreating to the room with the chandelier. I can light it with presdigitation hopefully. If I remember correctly these bad boys are weak against sunlight(radiant damage) and get advantage on hiding/dodging in dark/shadowy areas 😐). I can attempt to charm them with Unearthly Chorus maybe? 

(@Drafter- can whether or not these bad boys are affected by unearthly chorus be added to the investigation?)

TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Buddamoose
(excellent idea, maybe a fire place in there as well etc)
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@Buddamoose
(Unearthly Chorus cannot charm things that you are attacking.)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
(so in essence everyone would have to disengage and retreat for me to attempt it?)
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Buddamoose
(Let me put it another way: it's not a combat spell. As long as you are in combat, it's not going to be of any use to you.)
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@drafterman
I read the spirit weapon scroll.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
As long as you are in combat, it's not going to be of any use to you

(😮😐)

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Buddamoose
(Yeah, it's more of a spell that enhances social interactions)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
(Yeah, it's more of a spell that enhances social interactions)

(Challenge accepted)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
(Worst case scenario, we can retreat out of the basement upstairs and get them in the direct sunlight that way.)
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Buddamoose
(Worst case scenario...
(Oh you sweet summer child.)

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
(hey now, I'm trying to think of whatever there is possible to swing the odds in our favor 😂. A 4 creature fight @level 2 right after a 5 creature fight ain't easy, that's for sure.)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@secularmerlin
@Earth
@TheDredPriateRoberts
(now taking bets on deaths. Over/Under is at 1 party member death. Min 5g a bet, winnings are split post fight between all successful bettors still living 😂😂)
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Buddamoose
(hmmm how many hps do you have?)
(I'm going to call you Hal, https://goo.gl/images/ZwCcJm)
PK!  j/k

I believe I might be ill equipped to deal the this menace.  If unable to do damage I will attempt to focus on defense.  (if that's a thing)
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
(if that's a thing)
(Instead of attacking you can dodge, which makes it harder for them to land a hit, but you have to choose to do that instead of attacking)

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
hmmm how many hps do you have?)

(13 hp, so not much)
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@drafterman
(if we attempt to go to the other room do they get a free attack on us?)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
(probably about to get smacked pretty good myself. A necessary cost to conclusively determining weaknesses fmpov. I think in a turn you get to move + take one action. So we could dodge + retreat, if my understanding is correct. Dodging being a Dexterity check if I recall correctly. Don't you have a shield to block with tho?)
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
(if we attempt to go to the other room do they get a free attack on us?)
(When one creature uses their movement to move out of the reach of another, then the other creature gets a free opportunity attack (melee attack) against that creature. It has to be able to see the moving creature, and can only do this once per round (it uses up their reaction). Taking the disengage action allows you to move without provoking opportunity attacks)

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
Taking the disengage action allows you to move without provoking opportunity attacks)

(Interesting, so disengage+ move would be the proper course when fleeing? Assuming we can move faster than the shadows, which I doubt lol.)
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@drafterman
(does disengage work in conjunction with dodge or do you do one or the other)
(I don't want to give them a free opportunity attack, so I will use disengage and or dodge and retreat to the designated room if at all possible, my main goal is to not get hit, at this point)
drafterman
drafterman
(here's a list of the basic actions you can take in combat: https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Combat#toc_20. doing any of these uses up your single action for that turns so you have to choose which one you want to do. As far as which combination is better to retreat, that is an open question. For example you can move, risking an opportunity attack and then Dash which puts you too far away for them to chase you and attack you the next turn. Or, you can disengage and move, not risking an opportunity attack, but they can just move up and attack you the next turn.)
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@drafterman
(so I could dodge, or disengage, then use the action surge to dash and they would not get the free attack?)  (anyway if we are still going to try and go in the previous room I will dodge until everyone makes it then disengage and move myself)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
(try attacking first. If they're weak to sunlight(radiant) then Merlin and Earth will likely make short work of them. If I recall correctly that spiritual weapon adds 1d8(radiant) to the normal 1d8 from an attack. Merlins aboit to hopefully pump out pretty solid damage next round *crosses fingers*)

You create a floating weapon that lasts for the duration or until you cast this spell again. It can take any form you choose. When you cast the spell, you can make a melee spell attack against a creature within 5 feet of the weapon. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 forcedamage + your spellcasting ability modifier.
As a bonus action, you can move the weapon up to 20 feet and repeat the attack against a creature within 5 feet of it

(2x attack in one turn this turn maybe? Cause it appears Merlin can attack on the same turn as the cast, then move it and attack again as a bonus action if any shadows are within 5 ft of the one in front of Eikka. 😮)
drafterman
drafterman
(FYI, sunlight doesn't cause radiant damage)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
(so if it's weak against sunlight, that doesn't mean radiant... fiddlesticks 😑)
drafterman
drafterman
(well, I may have spoke too soon on that. I'll just say that sunlight weakness can mean different things)
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Buddamoose
I was able to avoid the ill effects of the ghouls, but I think whatever ill effects these may possess will be more difficult to shrug off.  Being ethereal type creatures I maybe just swinging at the wind.  My thought is to have them attack me and for me to avoid their attacks while the rest of you smite them.  Until such a time I am magically enhanced (that's what she said) or able to attack with something other than a regular weapon.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@secularmerlin
(read the above post regarding spiritual weapon. You get an attack and potentially a second one if another shadow is close enough. It only last for 1 min, so it's done after this round if I'm not mistaken in 1 round = 1 minute.)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
well, I may have spoke too soon on that. I'll just say that sunlight weakness can mean different things

So basically, make sure to check and not assume? 😂