Quasi Dungeons and Dragons

Author: drafterman

Total: 4,160
Buddamoose
Debates: 4
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
Being honest, that all seems too convoluted as a solution to illuminating things so as to not need to carry a torch 
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
(Mage hand is a cantrip and can indeed hold the torch if you wish. I guess when you guys get another cantrip, somebody will have to invest in the light spell, lol)
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Buddamoose
(Dude, this is D&D)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
(true, out of combat it would be whatever, in combat, not really all too feasible imho.)

somebody will have to invest in the light spell, lol)

(Good point,  @everyone- I'm cool with learning a cantrip for illuminating things, or taking faerie fire as the next level 1 spell i learn(i should probably do that anyways tbh, cause of the advantage on combat checks it affords 🤔)

@drafter- I can sub/switch bard spells on long rests right? 

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Buddamoose
(No. The spells you know are the spells you know. You can't swap them out)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
(😮. Well then, gotta wait for level 3 😓)
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@drafterman
(Can he forfeit the save if he wants? You kniw choose to believe.)
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@secularmerlin
(By default there is no mechanism for failing a save to a spell. There are some exceptions (like polymorph), but I think you've guys have hit on a better solution with mage hand + torch)
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@drafterman
(Sorry got sidetracked by the implications of the discussion itself. Maybe some other time.)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
(if say I use Presdigitation to create a shower of sparks right in front of a creatures face, could that potentially blind them? If not, what about surprising them so they hypothetically are staggered into inaction/their defenses are weakened? 🤔)
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Buddamoose
(Prestidigitation is not really a combat spell. You have vicious mockery which does damage and inhibits their ability to attack)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
(true, I was just asking out of curiosity to be honest lol.)
drafterman
drafterman
(No worries, I love the questions. Makes me think, lol)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
(*twiddles thumbs waiting on Earth. Also just noticed, that 1k post mark 😂)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
(with unearthly chorus, is the initial roll on the bonus action of charming to make friendly a performance roll? Or is the only factor the wisdom save of whatever im attempting to charm?

Can I cut the full hour short, or must the spell last a whole hour?

Is there a possibility of allies/enemies being deafened by the loudness of the chorus? If say in an enclosed room?

If in an enclosed room, can the spell still be heard outside,  ex: through walls?)

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Buddamoose
(You play the music for 10 minutes. It then has two separate effects:

1. For the 10-minute duration, you have advantage on all Peformance checks.
  2. For the 10-minute duration, you can use a bonus action to try and charm a creature in line-of-sight that can hear the music.
Creatures that you charm using the second effect remain charmed for the duration of the spell + 1 hour after you have finished the music. While they are charmed, you have advantage on Deception and Persuasion checks against them.

The spell does not inflict the deafened condition.)

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Earth
(Here is the last game-related post for your convenience:
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
(can it be used in conjunction with other spells? Like say hypothetically we spot a group of enemies. Can i on turn one cast Unearthly Chorus channeling it, then the next cast say Enthrall(level 2 spell). By this I mean, would the advantage on performance checks make Enthrall more likely to succeed in charming the group as a whole? 🤔

Would Enthrall or the bonus action of charming via the chorus, count as a performance check? Or another kind of roll?

Im asking regarding the rolls cause I'm trying to determine what proficiencies to double the bonuses for at level 3. Thinking performance and persuasion currently. But unsure what situations performance checks are used in.

Like for example, was the interaction with the spirits of the children to get them to agree to answer questions a performance or persuasion check? Or both? Neither? 🤔)

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Buddamoose
(Since enthrall is not a concentration spell, you can use both it and unearthly chorus. So you could cast either in either order.

Enthrall forces affected creatures to make a Wisdom save to resist, while the bonus action from unearthly chorus forces them to make a Charisma save to resist; you don't have to make any checks to induce these effects. The spells simply says if you're making a Performance check for any reason, you have advantage on that roll.)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
Like for example, was the interaction with the spirits of the children to get them to agree to answer questions a performance or persuasion check? Or both? Neither? 🤔)

(If my understanding is correct, performance would be more like attempting to compel an audience to act in a certain manner, but not directly control. Like say putting on a show that incenses a crowd to riot? Strikes fear in them, etc? Like I said, trying to determine how best to act to utilize proficiencies/which proficiency bonuses i should do double bonuses for

Sorry for the flood of questions. Bard is a rather tricky class in 5e to utilize maximally it seems, and the lack of spell substitution on long rests makes it even moreso. OP AF class, but like goldilocks and the three bears, gotta get that porridge just right 😂)

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Buddamoose
on our way out, we could try to take the harm with us, while it's not really portable it could be worth something.......
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Buddamoose
(Getting info out of the kids would be persuasion, but I would have only made the roll if they were inclined to resist in the first place. I'm pretty lenient when it comes to whether a roll is needed or an act just succeeds.

The only checks that could really "compel" someone to do something would be Persuasion and Intimidation, but I caution against treating these skills as a form of charming or mind control. Even if you "succeed" that doesn't necessarily mean the target is going to act in the manner you desire. For example, persuading or intimidation a hostile creature might get them to talk, but they could lie, lie by omission, only obey you temporarily or begrudgingly, etc.

Performance, basically says how well you can act, dance, play music, tell a story, or in general entertain someone. Some practical examples could be:

• Attempting to win a music contest;
  • Pleasing a grumpy King who demands you tell him a story to lighten his mood;
  • Performing for money;
Now, you could use these in conjunction with each other. For example, whether or not you succeed on a persuasion or intimidation against a character depends on their disposition toward you (friendly, indifferent, hostile). Their disposition (roughly) sets the target number you have to roll, and limits the degree to which they are willing (at all) to act in your favor, or at least not act against you.

A sufficiently adept performance could alter their disposition toward you and the party, making them more willing to help you later or provide information. Either by lowering the difficulty of success or by granting you some form of situational advantage, or simply by making it so they help you of their own accord.

All of the social/charisma-based skills are somewhat wishy-washy. If you want my opinion, persuasion and intimidation would be more practical from a mechanical standpoint than performance, but it is up to you whether or not you want to optimize your character for mechanics or choose the skills that are appropriate for them in a thematic sense.)

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
(hrmmmm, persuasion/insight might be good ideas for the double proficiency bonus(+taking insight as a proficiency w/lore). Was def going w/insight as one of the three extra cause it matches perfectly w/character theme. What are your thoughts on that? Investigation + Insight being a complementary pair i mean. W/ Double bonus on insight to compensate for the 12 on wisdom I have 🤔)

I think my peformance is prolly high enough as is to sway such situations to our advantage. Double bonus on persuasion would probably seal the deal and make it highly unlikely such checks fail 🤔.)

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Buddamoose
(Insight is pretty valuable. Investigation is pretty situational)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
(I get the impression investigation is moreso a passive skill thats hingent on collecting information first? For example with "trying to reconcile" in the PM previously? It was less new information, moreso a hint as to dots that should be connected with the already present info?

I know it could for example be used to determine what the type of trap(if one is found) and how to disarm it, actively. But beyond such a hypothetical I' at a loss as to how it could be actively used 🤔).

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Buddamoose
(It can be passive, yes. And you'll often see Investigation paired with Perception in this regard. But they can both be used actively as well. Basically the passive mode is what level of reasoning and perception you have without actively trying. The issue of passive skills is still one that's hotly debated and has a lot of people confused, and many people don't use that aspect. But I certainly exploited the existence of passive investigation to kind of drop a hint as to something your character might have noticed even if the player did not)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
(interesting, this was super helpful to the upcoming choices that will have to be made, thanks 💯👌)
Earth
Earth
Why are we bent up about not having light? Like 3 of us have darkvision. Maybe I should have chose light.
drafterman
drafterman
(Well, it's the issue of the one character that doesn't have darkvision having to use a free hand, reducing their AC, to hold a torch, but I think we found a good solution. No worries).

The group heads down the eastern hallway. To the south, they see a small branch which reveals some alcoves. To the north, the hallway curves, leading to a small staircase that descends into a room.

Attic Map:

Player Summaries:
Eikka - 17/17 HP - 16 AC - Channel Divinity: ⬤ | Relentless Endurance: ⬤ | Spell Slots: 1⬤⬤⭘
Grahf - 14/14 HP - 10 AC - Spell Secrets: ⬤ | Spell Slots: 1⬤⬤⬤
Roberts - 19/20 HP - 19 AC - Action Surge: ⬤ | Second Wind ⬤
Snerp - 12/13 HP - 13 AC - Bardic Inspiration: ⬤⭘ | Spell Slots: 1⬤⬤⭘

Player Sheets:

Earth
Earth
-->
@drafterman
I head down to the lower room