Author: drafterman

Total: 4,160
Buddamoose
Debates: 4
Buddamoose
-->
@Earth
We'd have to make sure the sunlight actually hits it, 

(if its even daytimeEither way, its late and time for bed. You have a goodnight 🌜)

Earth
Earth
-->
@Buddamoose
We can use minor illusion to trick it.
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
(I will note that I use "apparition" in the colloquial sense. If you wish to spend an action attempting to ascertain the precise nature of the being, including the effectiveness of any attacks, you can do that.

As far as the time, it is approximately midnight. It was "evening" when the game started, and it was a 5 hour hike to the valley, and I'd say you've probably spent about an hour inside the valley).

While Grahf rushes up the stairs, Roberts stays put to take stock of the letter and chest. The letter bears the same seal as the one they received in the tavern (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DY_RRRuVwAACuX2.jpg), and was written in the same elegant handwriting. It reads:

My most pathetic servant,

I am not a messiah sent to you by the Dark Powers of this land. I have not come to lead you on a path to immortality. However many souls you have bled on your hidden altar, however many visitors you have tortured in your dungeon, know that you are not the ones who brought me to this beautiful land. You are but worms writhing in my earth. You say that you are cursed, your fortunes spent. You abandoned love for madness, took solace in the bosom of another woman, and sired a stillborn son. Cursed by darkness? Of that, I have no doubt. Save you from your wretchedness? I think not. I much prefer you as you are.

Your dread lord and master,
Strahd von Zarovich
Inside the chest are the following contents:

• Three blank books with black leather covers;
  • Three scrolls with arcane writing that Roberts cannot make out;
  • The deed to the house;
  • The deed to a windmill;
  • A signed will by "Gustav and Elisabeth Durst" bequeathing the house, the windmill, and all other property to "Rosavalda and Thornboldt Durst" in the event of the parents' deaths. The date on the will is several hundred years ago from the present date.
Snerp watches the spirit cautiously as Eikka approaches with readied crossbow. The spirit is true to its warning, and attacks, Eikka releasing a crossbow bolt in response, but the initial fright of the attack causes her to shoot wide.

[Ranged Attack Roll: d20 (4) + 2 = 6, Miss!]

The woman reaches out with her incorporeal hands at Eikka, but the cleric manages to dodge out of the way at the last moment.

Combat Summary:
[12] Grahf - 8/8 HP - 10 AC - Spell Slots: 1⭘⭘
[12] Roberts - 12/12 HP - 19 AC
[12] Snerp - 9/9 HP - 13 AC - Spell Slots: 1⬤⭘
[10] Eikka - 10/10 HP - 16 AC - Spell Slots: 1⬤⬤
[3] Apparition - Uninjured

(Next Round!)
Earth
Earth
Yeah, I'll take the scrolls for later

Cast chill attack on the Apparition

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
(oh ok) I spend the round attempting to ascertain the nature of said being 🔎

And if I'm not mistaken I can use Bardic inspiration as a "bonus" or "extra(?)" action? In which case, i'll also use Bardic Inspiration on Easy E. 

(@Merlin- Bardic Inspiration allows you to add an extra die to a roll of your choice. If i may suggest saving it for the event its an apparition in the non colloquial sense and has spectral strangulation as an ability. 👌)

secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@drafterman
I cast the resistance cantrip on myself. Whatever this thing does when it touches you I want a saving throw boost. 
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Earth
(Grahf ran upstairs without checking the chest, so he doesn't know anything about any scrolls at the moment)
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
(Waiting on Roberts at the moment)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@secularmerlin
(if it's spectral strangulation, first you have a saving throw to being stricken with fear. Then the next round you have a saving throw on either dying, or being paralyzed for a few turns). If you get stricken with fear, my heroism should be able to negate that cause it makes the person I cast it on fearless, or so I presume as last time when I cast it on Roberts he got a lifeboost and fearless 🤔)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@secularmerlin
(physically the apparition should be harmless in the sense that it cant strike you. If it is a standard apparition, it can however summon spawns that are capable of physical attacks 🤔)
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Buddamoose
(Kewl)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@secularmerlin
(knowledge is power 💯)
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts

We should  retreat and go to the basement, I don't think that the ghost will follow.   We'd be better off trying to trap it in the mirror anyway.  Come to the second floor if it follows we'll fight there. 
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
We should  retreat and go to the basement, I don't think that the ghost will follow. 

(There's a monster in the basement. Out of the frying pan into the fire comes to mind. It could def drop aggro it we turn around. Not sure about being able to trap it in the mirror, but that some clever thinking. 

I think we got this handled as is, but if merlin and earth wanna turn around, so do i 😂)

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
(also, keep in mind the mirror might not be what I think it is. I was free to speculate, but under it being stressed that the speech of my character was speculation. Bringing it close to the mirror could spectacularly backfire, in other words 😂)
Earth
Earth
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Nah, we can easily fight it off

drafterman
drafterman
Grahf summons a spectral hand to assault the spectral being. It makes contact, but leaves no evidence of damage on the spirit.

[Ranged Spell Attack: d20 (10) + 5 = 15, Hit!]
[Damage Roll: d8 (2) = 2 necrotic damage]

Roberts remains on the second floor.

Snerp considers the being before them, and recognizes it as a specter, a ghost-like remnant of a creature that died a violent death. It cannot be reasoned with and has a hatred for all living things. While weak to sunlight, it has resistance and immunity to many mundane forms of damage.

(Resistances: acid, cold, fire, lightning, thunder, bludgeoning, piercing, slashing from nonmagical sources; Damage Immunities: necrotic, poison)

[Religion Check: d20 (18) + 2 = 20]

Eikka mutters a divine incantation, imbuing her with holy resistance.

The specter again tries to assault the cleric, but the holy mutterings displease her, temporarily distracting her and preventing her from making contact.

Combat Summary:
[12] Grahf - 8/8 HP - 10 AC - Spell Slots: 1⭘⭘
[12] Roberts - 12/12 HP - 19 AC
[12] Snerp - 9/9 HP - 13 AC - Spell Slots: 1⬤⭘
[10] Eikka - 10/10 HP - 16 AC - Spell Slots: 1⬤⬤ [Bardic Inspiration, +d6 to any attack, check, or save within the next 10 minutes; Concentrating on resistance, +d4 to all saves, 10 rounds remaining]
[3] Specter - Uninjured

(Next Round!)

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
(oh shit, not an apparition. Different ball game. Pour damage into it, its got 22 life or so, not that bad. If it hits with touching you merlin, you take 10(3d6) damage 😐. 

Cast Bardic Inspiration of Grahf. 

Cast Heroism on Merlin, I'll channel it with my lute.

Earth
Earth
Would magic missile work on it?

Earth
Earth
-->
@drafterman
Grahf casts magic missile 
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Earth
(You're out of spell slots)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@Earth
(its got resistance to most everything. So use ur cantrips or physical weapon, its not gonna do much damage, but 3-4 people at once on it should be accomplishable 👌)
Earth
Earth
-->
@drafterman
(So how can I cast it again?)
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Earth
(As a Wizard you can recover a spell slot when you take a short rest (1 hr) and everyone recovers all their spell slots when they take a long rest (8 hrs))
Earth
Earth
-->
@drafterman
Well fuck. Just attack it with my staff then.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
Against my better judgment I'll assist in the fight. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
(Gee thanks)
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@secularmerlin
(What's your action?)
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@drafterman
Cast guiding bolt.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@secularmerlin
(Do you want to use your bardic inspiration for +d6 on the attack roll?)