Quasi Dungeons and Dragons

Author: drafterman

Total: 4,160
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Buddamoose
(unless someone wants to do something on their own for some reason, we'd go as a group)
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Buddamoose
Roberts is taking the horse back to the vistani isn't he?
Buddamoose
Debates: 4
Buddamoose
-->
@secularmerlin
(derp, ye ur right. I'll be gucci hanging back alone then)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
It's much easier to DM for a campaign you've already gone through once)

(I figured. Sucks cause another person in my group binged the streams on Wizards so he might end up DM'ing em anyways. Though thinking about it, that doesn't suck, cause then I get to play em 😂😂.)
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@drafterman
I guess I stay with Snerp so he isn't alone if there is trouble.
Earth
Earth
Who should I ask about the amber doors? Should I go with Snerp?
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
Robert and Co.

Robert (and whoever else) gather the horses and head toward the western sunset gate. As they approach, they hear the two guards posted there talking.

Guard 1: Damn near burnt my ass off. I tell you.

Guard 2: Well, that's what happens when you get on Izek's bad side.

Guard 1: I don't know why the baron houses that... monstrosity anyway.

Guard 2 shrugs: He's an orphan.

Guard 1: Eh, he's a freak of nature.

The guards pause as they allow Roberts and the horses through.

Snerp and the Rolling Gnomes

Snerp doesn't get much attention with his playing. Vallaki doesn't appear to be that busy at this time of morning. After a while, a slender, well-dressed man drops a gold coin at the gnomes feet. He loiters around the gnome, looking around at everywhere else except him, as if checking to make sure they aren't being watched.

Man: Have a nice visit with the baron?

Earth
Earth
-->
@drafterman
(Thats a rape face)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
Snerp looks up and continues playing his lute, but adjusts his posture to more easily move should he need to. (ready dodge as a reaction to use should the man or anyone else attack.)

How'd you know about that hoss? 
drafterman
drafterman
Man: Oh, I take it upon myself to keep an eye on any strangers that... wander into town. Looking out for the town's best interests and all. After all, you don't think it's made safe by some little party the baron throws every now and then, do you?
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
Probably not, but whatever it is that keeps the town safe, doesn't matter so much as long as it's safe and not evil 😎. Is that all you came up to discuss hombre? My audition for performing in the festival?
drafterman
drafterman
The man smirks: So you recognize them as a farce, yet willingly participate. I'll have to ponder what to make of that. What I'm interested in is keeping the town truly safe. And I'm always on the lookout for like-minded people.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
If it helps people sleep at night let em throw festivals. And yeah, aren't we all out for what's best? You and I both are likely well aware, to keep anywhere in this land safe, truly safe, including vallaki, would require eliminating Strahd as the main threat here. Are you ready to do that? Cause I sure ain't yet.
drafterman
drafterman
Man the man frowns. No, I am not.

He gives a curt bow. Good luck in your efforts.

Then heads off.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Buddamoose
What was that all about do you think?
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@secularmerlin
(no clue, might have been helpful but guess we'll never know 😂.)
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Buddamoose
Should we follow him?
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
(I'm gonna tail behind him but in a manner so as to try and avoid him noticing).
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Buddamoose
(I'll wait for your wolf hunters) be careful Snerp.

I'm not the stealthiest so I don't want to give you away.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@secularmerlin
(time for some sneaky snerpin 😂)
Earth
Earth
(Would that Rictavio chap know about the amber doors?)
Earth
Earth
We forgot to visit Ireena.
drafterman
drafterman
(Assuming that Eikka would give Snerp a little boost via guidance)

[Snerp Stealth Check: d20 (3) + d4 (2) + 5 = 10]

Snerp tails behind the man as he casually waltzes through town. He heads down the south road, almost as if going toward the burgomasters house but then turns to a different area of the town that opens up into a vast town square.

The shops and homes that enclose the town square are decorated with limp, tattered garlands and painted wooden boxes filled with tiny, dead flowers. At the north end of the square stands a row of stocks, locked in which are several men, women, and children wearing crude, plaster donkey heads.

In the center of the square, peasants in patchwork clothes eye you suspiciously as they use cups and vases to draw water from a crumbling stone fountain. Standing tall at the center of the fountain is a gray statue of an impressive man facing west. All around the square are posted proclamations:

Come one, come all,
to the greatest celebration of the year:
THE WOLF'S HEAD JAMBOREE!
Attendance and children required.
Pikes will be provided.
ALL WILL BE WELL!
-The Baron-

Next to the sign is a tall, monsterous looking figure. It is a young man, tall and bald. He is otherwise normal looking save for his right arm, which is longer than the other, covered in barbed spines with long fingers tipped in vicious claws. A whiff of yellow smoke can occasionally be seen wafting off of it.

Next to the man are two nervous looking guards. One of them rips down the current sign while the other posts up a new one:

COME ONE, COME ALL,
to the greatest celebration of the year:
THE FESTIVAL OF THE BLAZING SUN!
Attendance and children required.
Rain or shine.
ALL WILL BE WELL!
-The Baron-
drafterman
drafterman
Roberts (and whoever is with him) pass through the gate and follow the road west out of Vallaki. They take a small path off the main road toward the Vistani camp. The woods part to reveal an expansive clearing: a small, grass-covered hill with low houses built into its sides. Fog obscures the details, but you can see that these buildings feature elegantly carved woodwork and have decorative lanterns hanging from their sculpted eaves.

Atop the hill, above the fog, is a ring of barrel-topped wagons that surround a large tent with a column of smoke pouring out through a hole in the top. The tent is brightly lit from within. Even at this distance, you can smell the odors of wine and horses that emanate from this central area.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@drafterman
(I shall inquire about the man of the tarot, explaining that we were extremely fortunate to get a reading from one of the wise and revered members at the other camp and that we should seek this dark elf out.  Should anyone talk smack or be disrespectful I'll do one of those  intimidating lunge bluffs at them, stare and walk slowly away, because I like doing that in rl lol (the name escape me and I'm lazy/busy atm to go back and look them up :)  )
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
(There isn't currently anyone in sight to inquire to. You have some houses around the base of the hill or the tents at the top of the hill. Where would you like to go first?)
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
(the tents)
drafterman
drafterman
Roberts heads to the main tent. Piled outside a wagon are several empty casks of wine. From inside the tent comes the crack of a whip followed
by the howls of a young man. Three sputtering campfires fill the tent with smoke, and through the haze you see six Vistani passed out in various places on the dead grass.

A barely conscious and shirtless teenager hugs the central tent pole, his wrists bound with rope and his back streaked with blood. An older, larger man in studded leather armor lashes the young man with a horsewhip, causing him to scream again. Standing in the bigger man's shadow is a third man also clad in studded leather.

Easy, brother, he says to the whip-wielding brute. I think Alexei has learned his lesson.

You recognize the younger brother as the man who delivered the original letter luring you into the valley.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@drafterman
Have we meet?  You look familiar. (waiting to see if he recognizes us and his reaction)  What goes on here?  Seems rather barbaric for such a noble people.
drafterman
drafterman
The older brother looks up and over at Roberts and scowls slightly. None of your business, interloper. Arrigal, do you know these... strangers?

Arrigal smiles an oily smile. Ah, yes. I do recall this lot. Invited here on behalf of our kind Lord. I hope you are finding your stay in Barovia warm? He chuckles. As for what is happening here: we've lost one of our own, a child. And this man was responsible for keeping watch over her. She was Luvash-

Luvash: Enough. This is an internal matter. What do you want, stranger?