Quasi Dungeons and Dragons

Author: drafterman

Total: 4,160
Earth
Debates: 4
Earth
I say we go upstairs to the nursery together.
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Earth
(it's on the 3rd floor, should we check the 2nd just to be sure?)

depending on how big this place is we might want to check the ground floor as well.
Earth
Earth
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Sure, why not?
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
I have to wonder how this town appears to be utterly deserted except for these guys, but nonetheless, a baby potential being in danger kinda forces our hand fmpov.

Weapons ready, we might have to fight our way out! 

I pull out my lute and begin playing it, using the music to focus my casting of Heroism on (Roberts).

Let's do this 😤

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Buddamoose
Ready here.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
lead the way children. 
Earth
Earth
Grahf, the seeker of POWER is ready
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Earth
We are never calling you that.
Earth
Earth
-->
@secularmerlin
Your mom calls me that
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Earth
Talk about my mother again pink skin and see what happens. I mean that affectionately and I assume we have had similar conversations before. I'm mostly focused on my surroundings. This place raises my hackles.
Earth
Earth
-->
@secularmerlin
This place is deserted. Is there really anyone here?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Earth
I only smell death. Nobody home. That is just bad parenting.
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
The small boy cowers behind his sister in light of the frightening half-orc.

Girl: We don't know how the monster got in the basement, just that our parents trapped it in there. Only a monster could make the sounds it makes. She shudders. We've been out here, sleeping in the cold rain for the past couple of days, and that's the last time we saw our parents or brother. You're the first people to come along to help.

The children lead the party to the house.

A wrought-iron gate with hinges on one side and a lock on the other fills the archway of a stone portico. The gate squeels slightly when opened. Oil lamps hang from the portico ceiling by chains, flanking a set of oaken doors that open into a grand foyer.

Hanging on the south wall of the foyer is a shield emblazoned with a coat-of-arms (a stylized golden windmill on a red field), flanked by framed portraits of stony-faced aristocrats. Mahogany-framed double doors leading from the foyer to the house are set with panes of stained glass.

As the party enters through the front door, the children stay out side in the portico.

House Front
Player Summaries:
Snerp - 9/9 HP - 13 AC - Spell Slots: 1⬤⬤
Eikka - 10/10 HP - 16 AC - Spell Slots: 1⬤⬤
Grahf - 8/8 HP - 10 AC - Spell Slots: 1⬤⬤
Roberts - 12/12HP - 19 AC

Earth
Earth
-->
@drafterman
Do we hear sounds coming from the house?
drafterman
drafterman
(You do not)
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@drafterman
There is only one direction, forward. 

I stride across the portico and shove open the door.
Earth
Earth
Follow  Merlin.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
I need you to check corners behind me Roberts.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
(Merlin leading the way sounds good to me 👌.)

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Buddamoose
Snerp eyes low

--> @Earth
grahf eyes up

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
press on
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
@Buddamoose @Earth @TheDredPriateRoberts

Look alive boys and stay sharp!
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@secularmerlin
Snerp eyes low

(As if I could choose otherwise at 3 ft tall 😂)

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Buddamoose
(Just don't step on your own beard)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
(once the children are out of earshot)

given the children's account, its been 2 days that their sibling has been left alone in the nursery. It cannot be doing well if what they say is true and this is not a trap. We should make haste to the nursery 
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Buddamoose
I'm not sure whether we rush there or we go cautiously will make any difference at this point.  A few extra minutes compared to a few days won't change whatever fate may have already happened.  Whatever is yet to happen we should maximize our chances of success by being careful.  Would be better to have our full strength and wits about us should we need it.
Earth
Earth
-->
@drafterman
Should we pull a Scooby Doo and split up?

@drafterman

How are our rolls so far?
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
Splitting up with a claimed monster about, and a potential trap seems reckless. Roberts is right that a few extra minutes won't make that much of a difference. 
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
(there's only one way to proceed right now until the map is updated and we figure out what's fogged and where the stairs, basement entrance, and the like are. Merlin is leading the way, I guess earth and I are in the middle, and Roberts is guarding behind us? 

The house is silent, so if anything is here, it already heard us as we approached from outside I would think.)

I keep my lute out, dagger still sheathed, and shortbow still slung around my back.

@drafter (I don't think ive actually cast a spell yet? Or did that previous cast count? 🤔)

drafterman
drafterman
The party cautiously enters the house.

A wide hall runs the width of the house, with a black marble fireplace at the north end and a sweeping, red marble staircase at the south. Mounted on the wall above the fireplace is a longsword with a windmill cameo worked into the hilt. The wood-paneled walls are ornately sculpted with images of vines, flowers, nymphs, and satyrs. The decorative paneling follows the staircase as it circles upward to the second floor.

A cloakroom near the staircase has several black cloaks hanging from hooks on the walls. A top hat sits on a high shelf.

The oak-paneled room to the southwest looks like a hunter's den. Mounted above the fireplace is a stag's head, and positioned around the outskirts of the room are three stuffed wolves.Two padded chairs draped in animal furs face the hearth, with an oak table between them supporting a cask of wine, two carved wooden goblets, a pipe rack, and a candelabrum. A chandelier hangs above a cloth-covered table surrounded by four chairs. Two cabinets stand against the walls.

The kitchen to the south east is tidy, with dishware, cookware, and utensils neatly placed on shelves. A worktable has a cutting board and rolling pin atop it. A stone, domeshaped oven stands near the east wall, its bent iron stovepipe connecting to a hole in the ceiling. Behind the stove and to the left is a thin door leading to a wellstocked pantry. All the food in the pantry appears fresh but tastes bland.

The centerpiece of the wood-paneled dining room to the north east is a carved mahogany table surrounded by eight highbacked chairs with sculpted armrests and cushioned seats. A crystal chandelier hangs above the table, which is covered with resplendent silverware and crystalware polished to a dazzling shine. Mounted above the marble fireplace is a mahogany-framed painting of an alpine vale. The wall paneling is carved with elegant images of deer among the trees. Red silk drapes cover the windows, and a tapestry depicting hunting dogs and horse-mounted aristocrats chasing after a wolf hangs from an iron rod bolted to the south wall.

(There haven't been many rolls, mainly involving Roberts checking the tracks. In the future, I will post the results of any rolls made. For Budda, I did not count your previous mention of casting Heroism as that would have been a waste)

First Floor Map:

Player Summaries:
Snerp - 9/9 HP - 13 AC - Spell Slots: 1⬤⬤
Eikka - 10/10 HP - 16 AC - Spell Slots: 1⬤⬤
Grahf - 8/8 HP - 10 AC - Spell Slots: 1⬤⬤
Roberts - 12/12HP - 19 AC