What do people think of Biden’s Supreme court reforms?

Author: Moozer325

Total: 159
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@thett3
That's a good point about structural change in general. We could probably have more rational state borders if we delayed implementation by two terms in the senate.
cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
-->
@thett3
I’ve seen books with vehement criticism leveled at the SCOTUS from both sides of the aisle. Conservatives have lambasted it for being activist and operating counter to the Constitution, while liberals have lambasted it for being pro corporate, anti poor, corruptible, and… operating counter to the Constitution. There is probably agreement on both sides on the court having too much power throughout US history.
Moozer325
Debates: 13
Moozer325
-->
@ILikePie5
Obama had two. He could’ve had three if RBG retired as well. The system was designed in a way where some Presidents have more appointees than others. Roosevelt had 9. Truman had 4. Ike had 5. People weren’t complaining then. The only reason they are complaining now is because of “orange man bad.”
First of all, why is the system even designed so some presidents get multiple? Why cant we make it better?

Second, the reason I wasn’t complaining when Truman or Ike got a bunch was because I wasn’t alive. It sometimes takes an instance of the system working badly to make you realize that it’s a bad system, but that doesn’t change that fact that it’s a bad system. It’s a logical fallacy to say my argument is invalid because I didn’t make this argument before.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW

While the hot topic is all about whether AI is coming for attorneys, perhaps we should consider a more likely outcome—when it may come to replace judges.

Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@thett3
The current system where massive swings in power depends on when an elderly person happens to die is insane.
Thank you! Finally someone who can see through party lines and recognize the stupidness of this system!

but I don’t see how you could possibly do it in a fair way at this point.
What do you mean by that?
ILikePie5
Debates: 3
ILikePie5
-->
@Moozer325
First of all, why is the system even designed so some presidents get multiple? Why cant we make it better?
Did you read the quotes from the Federalist Papers? Your answer is there.

Second, the reason I wasn’t complaining when Truman or Ike got a bunch was because I wasn’t alive. It sometimes takes an instance of the system working badly to make you realize that it’s a bad system, but that doesn’t change that fact that it’s a bad system. It’s a logical fallacy to say my argument is invalid because I didn’t make this argument before.
But it’s not a bad system. It was intentionally designed like that so that precedent stays precedent except for a massive change because the Justice stays there. If we change the system, precedent means nothing. Stare decicis would mean nothing. Obama got to appoint 2 justices. Trump got 3. Big deal.
Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@ILikePie5
Did you read the quotes from the Federalist Papers? Your answer is there.
I would love to if you told me exactly where it was. There’s 85 of them, and you know how long Hamilton likes to write.

But it’s not a bad system. It was intentionally designed like that so that precedent stays precedent except for a massive change because the Justice stays there. If we change the system, precedent means nothing. Stare decicis would mean nothing.
Well the “precedent” of Roe v Wade just got completely abolished. Besides, justices will end up changing anyways. I’m open to much longer term limits, that would solve the problem, but it just needs to be something uniform. 
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Moozer325
I would love to if you told me exactly where it was. There’s 85 of them, and you know how long Hamilton likes to write.
Read Post 114.

Well the “precedent” of Roe v Wade just got completely abolished. Besides, justices will end up changing anyways. I’m open to much longer term limits, that would solve the problem, but it just needs to be something uniform.
Yes, just like Plessy v Ferguson was abolished. But you’re forgetting that Roe lasted 50 years. Which is basically a generation. Exactly how the founders intended.
Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@ILikePie5
Read Post 114.
Sorry, must have missed that.

Anyways, the gist as I understand it from those quotes was that if the justices are life time appointees, then the court will be free of tampering from the other branches.  

The problem is that the opposite is actually happening. Clearly it is being tamper with because of life term limits. 

Like I said, I’m open to longer term limits, you have a great point about that, the problem is the randomness of presidential appointments.

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Moozer325
Anyways, the gist as I understand it from those quotes was that if the justices are life time appointees, then the court will be free of tampering from the other branches.  
That’s part of it. The other part is stability of law

The problem is that the opposite is actually happening. Clearly it is being tamper with because of life term limits. 
How is it being tampered with if 2/3 of the 9 justices were not because of Trump. Trump appointees need 2 more justices. The system is fine. You’re just mad that you don’t like it. Republicans hated it when the Dems controlled the court. But just admit it.

Like I said, I’m open to longer term limits, you have a great point about that, the problem is the randomness of presidential appointments.
It’s purposely designed that way. It’s a check and balance. 2, 4, 6, life. Everything was designed with a purpose. You’re also forgetting that the people’s reps have a direct role in determining justices. Their Senators vote and the President that they elected nominates them. Precedent wouldn’t be a thing if we eliminated life terms
Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@ILikePie5
How is it being tampered with if 2/3 of the 9 justices were not because of Trump.
Yeah, but 1/3 of them are appointed by Trump, and it’s still not fair that he gets more than some other president.  

The whole point of a republic is that our leaders should represent our interest. When some sides can gain more artificial influence than others, then the Public is misrepresented.

The system is fine. You’re just mad that you don’t like it. Republicans hated it when the Dems controlled the court. But just admit it.
I would love to gracefully accept the outcome of roe v Wade, but I can’t if the system that overturned it isn’t fair. 

If you lived in communist Russia under Stalin, would you just accept the government’s decisions? Obviously I’m not comparing Trump to Stalin, that would be ridiculous, but you get the point. I can only gracefully accept something If I think it was down fairly, and I don’t think that.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Moozer325
Yeah, but 1/3 of them are appointed by Trump, and it’s still not fair that he gets more than some other president.  
The Constitution wasn’t designed to be fair. Again, the only reason this is even an issue is because “orange man bad.”

The whole point of a republic is that our leaders should represent our interest. When some sides can gain more artificial influence than others, then the Public is misrepresented.
The justices do represent our interest. Trump was elected by the people and he nominated the justices. The Senate confirmed them, and the people elected the 51 Senators that confirmed them. It’s not artificial influence. Elections have consequences.
Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@ILikePie5
The Constitution wasn’t designed to be fair.
Well then it’s a bad constitutional. Since you’re basically admitting that this system isn’t fair, why can’t we make it fair?

Trump was elected by the people and he nominated the justices.
Trump was elected by 46% of the people and the proceeded to change 1/3 of one of the most powerful bodies in our country. That’s not representative.

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Moozer325
Well then it’s a bad constitutional. Since you’re basically admitting that this system isn’t fair, why can’t we make it fair?
I don’t think it’s a bad thing though. I think it’s perfect, and it explains why we have been a successful country for so long and are at the top.

Trump was elected by 46% of the people and the proceeded to change 1/3 of one of the most powerful bodies in our country. That’s not representative.
He won the election. The method of winning is irrelevant to the fact that he won and a whole different argument. Even if you don’t think Trump winning was representative. 50+1 senators approved each nominee. Now you’re going to say the Senate is unrepresentative lol. You just have a problem with losing. The Constitution was never designed to be fair. It was designed to create a nation and ensure that it remains into the future. The EC and Senate are the primary reasons why small states agreed to join btw
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
I don’t think it’s a bad thing though. I think it’s perfect, and it explains why we have been a successful country for so long and are at the top.

The purpose of the Constitution was to protect the people against wicked men. That means it necessarily cannot be "fair," as it has to be balanced toward freedom from tyranny. Not balanced toward some egalitarian ideal. A true egalitarian constitution would be absolutely subverted by evil men.
Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@ILikePie5
There are so many other good reasons why America is a world super power, but how we elect our justices is absolutely not one of them.  Something so trivial as our court system can’t have contributed much. It’s a false correlation.

Apples are red, and apples are a popular fruit. Therefore, apples are popular because they are red.

False correlation.
He won the election. The method of winning is irrelevant to the fact that he won and a whole different argument. Even if you don’t think Trump winning was representative. 
I wasn’t complaining about the fact electoral college, I was just showing the difference between his support and the influence he had. This can all be prevented with term limits.

50+1 senators approved each nominee. Now you’re going to say the Senate is unrepresentative lol.
The senate only has the power to not approve a justice based on grounds of being corrupt or unfit for the job. They can’t block someone  just because they don’t agree with their views.

You just have a problem with losing.
I don’t have a problem losing a basketball game, I have a problem losing a basketball game when the other team used trampolines.

The Constitution was never designed to be fair. It was designed to create a nation and ensure that it remains into the future. The EC and Senate are the primary reasons why small states agreed to join btw
Well why can’t there be both? Small states aren’t going to be leaving the union just because we remove the EC anymore. The time of the fragile, barely a nation has past, so we can remove the archaic laws from that time. 

Slavery was left out of the constitution to appease the southern states, but we eventually got rid of it, because it wasn’t needed anymore.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Moozer325
There are so many other good reasons why America is a world super power, but how we elect our justices is absolutely not one of them.  Something so trivial as our court system can’t have contributed much. It’s a false correlation.

Apples are red, and apples are a popular fruit. Therefore, apples are popular because they are red.

False correlation.
Our system of checks and balances was based on three branches. So it is an apples to apples connection. Imagine a world where Marbury didn’t happen. Imagine a world where the President basically controlled the court during his term. It’s laughable.

I wasn’t complaining about the fact electoral college, I was just showing the difference between his support and the influence he had. This can all be prevented with term limits.
Let’s start with Congress first :).

The senate only has the power to not approve a justice based on grounds of being corrupt or unfit for the job. They can’t block someone  just because they don’t agree with their views.
They actually can. So many nominations have failed before.

I don’t have a problem losing a basketball game, I have a problem losing a basketball game when the other team used trampolines.
Is it against the rules to use a trampoline? No. 

Well why can’t there be both? Small states aren’t going to be leaving the union just because we remove the EC anymore. The time of the fragile, barely a nation has past, so we can remove the archaic laws from that time.

Slavery was left out of the constitution to appease the southern states, but we eventually got rid of it, because it wasn’t needed anymore.
Because we are the United STATES of America where small states deserve just as much attention as large states. 
Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@ILikePie5
Is it against the rules to use a trampoline? No. 
But it should be

Our system of checks and balances was based on three branches. So it is an apples to apples connection. Imagine a world where Marbury didn’t happen. Imagine a world where the President basically controlled the court during his term. It’s laughable.
How is my system enabling the court to be controlled by the prez? If anything, this system makes that much harder to do.

I haven’t heard any real reasons why this is t a good system yet, just some buzzwords about how the founders wanted it. 
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Moozer325
But it should be
But it’s not. You can use a trampoline too when you can. It’s not a one sided think. 100 years down the road, you may have the majority. That’s what makes elections fun.

How is my system enabling the court to be controlled by the prez? If anything, this system makes that much harder to do.
You’re reducing the independence between branches. If Kamala becomes Prez, no Justice will be appointed by her. It promotes independence of the the coequal branches. Separation of powers is out friend.

I haven’t heard any real reasons why this is t a good system yet, just some buzzwords about how the founders wanted it.
Which is why it’s a good system. They were geniuses. I’ve already said ur system reduces independence between the branches. And it throws the concept of stare decicis out the window. Precedents aren’t a thing anymore.
Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@ILikePie5
But it’s not. You can use a trampoline too when you can. It’s not a one sided think. 100 years down the road, you may have the majority. That’s what makes elections fun.
But only one side has the trampolines at a time. You’ve basically admitted that it’s not fair at this point, so why can’t we balance the scales a little?

You’re reducing the independence between branches. If Kamala becomes Prez, no Justice will be appointed by her. It promotes independence of the the coequal branches. Separation of powers is out friend.
Well Kamala might be separated, it Trump sure wasn’t.

Which is why it’s a good system. They were geniuses. I’ve already said ur system reduces independence between the branches. And it throws the concept of stare decicis out the window. Precedents aren’t a thing anymore.
Many founders also supported slavery, and created many bad systems. Just look at the original electoral college. It was so horrible that it got ditched in just over a decade. They included the amendment system so we could correct their mistakes. That was their best idea, knowing that they weren’t perfect. Saying that something is perfect because the founders made it is a false appeal to authority.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Moozer325
But only one side has the trampolines at a time. You’ve basically admitted that it’s not fair at this point, so why can’t we balance the scales a little?
I never said it was fair, nor should that be the ideal. It was designed this way on purpose. Seperation of powers and precedent is important to the success of this nation.

Well Kamala might be separated, it Trump sure wasn’t.
Ya, and under your policy, no President would be separated.

Many founders also supported slavery, and created many bad systems.
Cause a nation wasn’t possible unless slavery was supported. Most of them knew it was a horrible institution, but they never would’ve gotten the southern states to agree without the 3/5th Compromise.

Just look at the original electoral college. It was so horrible that it got ditched in just over a decade.
If you’re talking about the 12th Amendment, then that barely changed anything. And that’s the whole reason the amendment process was put in the first place. You can try to amend the constitution, but good luck getting to 38 states when there are like 20 safely Republican states. 

They included the amendment system so we could correct their mistakes. That was their best idea, knowing that they weren’t perfect. Saying that something is perfect because the founders made it is a false appeal to authority.
I’m saying 95% of the time, they were correct. Separation of powers is a key facet of the Constitution. You just want to get rid of that. So basically what you’re saying is that you’re against the Constitution.
Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@ILikePie5
Ya, and under your policy, no President would be separated.
Ya, and under the current policy, some presidents are more spectated, and others are less separated, but it balances out, so not munch really changes. Like I said, I get your point about the separation, but this could be fixed with just longer term limits. Say we double it and make it 36 years. Then every president has less impact, but the same impact. 

I never said it was fair, nor should that be the ideal. It was designed this way on purpose. Seperation of powers and precedent is important to the success of this nation.
I absolutely agree with you,  but I’m saying that it  might be possible to have both separation, and fairness.

If you’re talking about the 12th Amendment, then that barely changed anything. And that’s the whole reason the amendment process was put in the first place. 
What do you mean barely changed anything? The original system was so bad that Arron Burr accidentally became the VP! It created the whole system of running mates which is much better.

I’m saying 95% of the time, they were correct. Separation of powers is a key facet of the Constitution. You just want to get rid of that. So basically what you’re saying is that you’re against the Constitution.
I’m not against separation of power, I’m trying to keep the separation and make the system much more fair.

Also, how can you say we have good separation now when one president affected 1/3 of the court over the course of one term? 

I’m just trying to even put the appointments, not make them more frequent.

Also, the average justice stays on the bench for only 16 years! This wouldn’t even stop that many people from going over the term limit.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Moozer325
Ya, and under the current policy, some presidents are more spectated, and others are less separated, but it balances out, so not munch really changes. Like I said, I get your point about the separation, but this could be fixed with just longer term limits. Say we double it and make it 36 years. Then every president has less impact, but the same impact. 
No because now every President makes appointments so there will never be independence like there will be if Kamala becomes President.

I absolutely agree with you,  but I’m saying that it  might be possible to have both separation, and fairness.
By definition it’s not possible to be separation if every president is making a fixed number of appointments.

What do you mean barely changed anything? The original system was so bad that Arron Burr accidentally became the VP! It created the whole system of running mates which is much better.
That’s the only thing it changed. It didn’t change the overall system. And the only reason the whole Burr fiasco happened was because of one idiot Elector who forgot he wasn’t supposed to cast his vote for Burr.

I’m not against separation of power, I’m trying to keep the separation and make the system much more fair.
That’s not possible. And the Constitution is designed to not be egalitarian.

Also, how can you say we have good separation now when one president affected 1/3 of the court over the course of one term?
Cause Kamala won’t have any influence if she wins. Lots of Presidents didn’t make appointments. Independence. 

I’m just trying to even put the appointments, not make them more frequent.
That by definition reduces independence if every President makes appointments.

Also, the average justice stays on the bench for only 16 years! This wouldn’t even stop that many people from going over the term limit.
So why do you want it? If they’re going to retire in an average of 16 years, it’s already cyclical. Separation of powers shouldn’t be diluted in the name of fairness. You’re also ignoring the precedent argument. The law will be fluid af. That just creates even more problems. 
Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@ILikePie5
Cause Kamala won’t have any influence if she wins. Lots of Presidents didn’t make appointments. Independence. 
Four president have not made any appointments, and three of them were removed from office early. Willian Henry Harrison, Zachary Taylor, Andrew Johnson, and Jimmy Carter. 

That by definition reduces independence if every President makes appointments.
No, it just averages it out. So far we have some president who have more separation from the court, and other presidents that are hyper connected to the court. 

So why do you want it? If they’re going to retire in an average of 16 years, it’s already cyclical.
No it’s not, because that’s an average. There is a element of randomness that I’m just trying to flatten out.

No because now every President makes appointments so there will never be independence like there will be if Kamala becomes President.
I have a few problems with that.

For one, remember that there was only one president who completed a full term and didn’t appoint anybody, so your argument doesn’t work on that grounds. There will almost always be some appointments per prez.

The only thing this system enables is some presidents that are less connected to the court and some that are extremely connected to the court. All this amendment would do is smooth out the randomness. The court is already connected to the executive branch wether you like it or not, and this amendment won’t make that more so, it will make it more fair in its connectedness.

The choice is between a court that is sometimes less connected and sometimes way more connected, but always connected, and a court that is always equally a little connected. 
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Moozer325
Four president have not made any appointments, and three of them were removed from office early. Willian Henry Harrison, Zachary Taylor, Andrew Johnson, and Jimmy Carter. 
Oh, so every President is already making appointments. You just want more for your party is what I’m hearing.

No, it just averages it out. So far we have some president who have more separation from the court, and other presidents that are hyper connected to the court.
Yes, but there’s still independence. If every President appoints 3, there won’t be independence.

No it’s not, because that’s an average. There is a element of randomness that I’m just trying to flatten out.
Who cares. The Constitution was designed to not be fair.

I have a few problems with that.

For one, remember that there was only one president who completed a full term and didn’t appoint anybody, so your argument doesn’t work on that grounds. There will almost always be some appointments per prez.
Sure, so the system is fair. Every President gets to appoint someone. Some more than other, but that’s just cause people die. You can’t control when they die.

The only thing this system enables is some presidents that are less connected to the court and some that are extremely connected to the court. All this amendment would do is smooth out the randomness. The court is already connected to the executive branch whether you like it or not, and this amendment won’t make that more so, it will make it more fair in its connectedness.
Why is fairness good. The Constitution is inherently unfair. Making it “fair” reduces the separation of powers that we see. Separation of powers > some arbitrary measure of fairness when we know the only reason this is being brought up is because of “orange man bad.” 

The choice is between a court that is sometimes less connected and sometimes way more connected, but always connected, and a court that is always equally a little connected.
The first is always better because separation of powers is greater under the first.

It boils down to, do you think separation of powers is more important than “fairness” when the Constitution is inherently unfair and was designed that way on purpose
Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@ILikePie5
Who cares. The Constitution was designed to not be fair.
The constitution was also designed to not enfranchise anyone but rich, white, male, landowners.

Oh, so every President is already making appointments. You just want more for your party is what I’m hearing.
No, I want the same amount for everyone. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Yes, but there’s still independence. If every President appoints 3, there won’t be independence.
How? Also it’s 2 appointments.

Sure, so the system is fair. Every President gets to appoint someone. Some more than other, but that’s just cause people die. You can’t control when they die.
yeah, but we can can control when they have to resign. Now your starting to get it.

The first is always better because separation of powers is greater under the first.
The whole point of that is that separation of power is the same either way. My way just makes it fair and as separate as possible.

How can you possibly claim the court is separate when Trump can influence 1/3 of the court during his term?
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Moozer325
The constitution was also designed to not enfranchise anyone but rich, white, male, landowners.
Clearly, the founders were worried the country would be run by childless cat ladies who mostly want illegal migrant slave labor, global war, a caste system, corporate fulfillment, and racial divisions.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Moozer325
Mostly true, but again it just proves my point. By large the Constitution was designed to not be fair. We are a nation because it wasn’t designed to be fair.

No, I want the same amount for everyone. Why is this so hard for you to understand?
And that reduces the independence of the SCOTUS and throws a hole into stare decicis 

How? Also it’s 2 appointments.
How? You’re joking right? A 2 term POTUS would make 4 appointees. That’s almost half the court. “Independence.” Now let’s say the VP gets 2 terms. 8/9. “Independence.” 

yeah, but we can can control when they have to resign. Now you’re starting to get it.
That’s what makes the system great. Elections have consequences. Trump probably wouldn’t have won if Scalia hadn’t died. Lots of people held their noses to vote him because of the SCOTUS. These are some of the greatest legal minds in the nation. Why would you arbitrarily kick them down under the guise of “fairness.” Their jurisprudence is what keeps the law stable. You change justices all the time and it’s constantly changing. Roe was law for a generation. Stabillity. Dobbs will be law for a generation. Stability. 

The whole point of that is that separation of power is the same either way. My way just makes it fair and as separate as possible.
That’s just not true though. You want independence when you’re not in power as well. That’s what the current system promotes.

How can you possibly claim the court is separate when Trump can influence 1/3 of the court during his term?
Because 2/3 aren’t his appointees. And 2/3 > 1/3. Now 4/9 is more than 1/3, so your system inherently provides less independence every time. 

Also, you still haven’t addressed the stability of the law argument, so I assume you concede that. And just based on that, your argument becomes invalid.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Moozer325
I don’t get why you just don’t admit that this is a partisan gimmick designed to get rid of a Republican majority that was achieved constitutionally, fully within the law. Advocating to change the goalposts cause your side fucked up just shows how much of a sore loser your side is.
Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@ILikePie5
Mostly true, but again it just proves my point. By large the Constitution was designed to not be fair. We are a nation because it wasn’t designed to be fair.
My point about that was that they got removed. Are you saying our nation worked because we disenfranchised most of the population?

How? You’re joking right? A 2 term POTUS would make 4 appointees. That’s almost half the court. “Independence.” Now let’s say the VP gets 2 terms. 8/9. “Independence.”
Well at least that way the court is representative, and I’ll remind you that my system doesn’t actually change this. The average justice only stays on the bench for 16 years, so just because they have the option to stay on for longer doesn’t mean that they will. 

In short, it already evens  out so that on average, four president get to appoint 8/9 of the court. This is no new info.

Also, you still haven’t addressed the stability of the law argument, so I assume you concede that. And just based on that, your argument becomes invalid.

You know, the president ends up appointing on average 2.14 justices per term. You made this whole point about how the current system is more separate because the president doesn’t appoint justices as much, but clearly this is just not true. If you count stability as having less appointments, then this is much more stable.  This proposed amendment has everything you want, less appointments, fairness, and a more separate court, and you still oppose it. Why? I really hope it’s not just partisan politics.