What do people think of Biden’s Supreme court reforms?

Author: Moozer325

Total: 159
ILikePie5
Debates: 3
ILikePie5
-->
@Moozer325
My point about that was that they got removed. Are you saying our nation worked because we disenfranchised most of the population?
The split was always 50/50. It’s not like a vast majority of the nation supported slavery

Well at least that way the court is representative, and I’ll remind you that my system doesn’t actually change this.
Representative of what? I already said how the justices are already representative of the people via the President and Senate. Elections have consequences.

The average justice only stays on the bench for 16 years, so just because they have the option to stay on for longer doesn’t mean that they will.
Justices are going to stay till they die or can retire under a President who shares a similar ideology to them. 

In short, it already evens  out so that on average, four president get to appoint 8/9 of the court. This is no new info.
No. A 2 term president gets 4 (minimum). 

You know, the president ends up appointing on average 2.14 justices per term. You made this whole point about how the current system is more separate because the president doesn’t appoint justices as much, but clearly this is just not true.
Yes it is. The Court is far more independent right now than it would be if every 2 term President got 4 justices.

If you count stability as having less appointments, then this is much more stable. 
I said stability in the law lol.

This proposed amendment has everything you want, less appointments, fairness, and a more separate court, and you still oppose it. Why? I really hope it’s not just partisan politics.
Lol 

A) Appointments are already fair because the people get to decide who is going to make the nomination and who is going to confirm

B) A court isn’t going to be separate if every President makes 4 nominees. You would have President changing every 10 years vs a generation.

C) Republicans weren’t calling for term limits or an end to the Senate when the Dems controlled everything for literally decades

D) The only reason you think the system is unfair was because you and your puppet Hillary lost in 2016 when you had the backing of the media, Never Trumpers, and hardcore Dems.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
 The only reason you think the system is unfair was because you and your puppet Hillary lost in 2016 when you had the backing of the media, Never Trumpers, and hardcore Dems.

Exactly. I am so tired of Marxist lovers transparently pretending to support reforms to the constitution to protect the country from....themselves....
Moozer325
Debates: 13
Moozer325
-->
@ILikePie5
No. A 2 term president gets 4 (minimum). 
Sorry, I meant terms, but you still get the point. On average, in four term, 8/9 of the court will be appointed. This system just smooths the wrinkles.

Justices are going to stay till they die or can retire under a President who shares a similar ideology to them. 
But that's the thing, I just proved that that isn't the case. Justitices stay on average for about 16 years, so a 18 year term limit doesn't even do much to stop people from serving.

Representative of what? I already said how the justices are already representative of the people via the President and Senate.
I don't think you get the point. Sure, the president is elected representative, but they then go on and appoint a random number of justices, so some presidents with lots of support end up less appointments and some presidents with little support appoint a lot. It's not representative.

A court isn’t going to be separate if every President makes 4 nominees.
Again, you are just ignoring my statistics. The Average appointments per term is already 2.14, so this law actually decreases the number of appointments!

Republicans weren’t calling for term limits or an end to the Senate when the Dems controlled everything for literally decades
That's a logical fallacy, It has nothing to do with the actual substance of the argument at hand.

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Moozer325
But that's the thing, I just proved that that isn't the case. Justitices stay on average for about 16 years, so a 18 year term limit doesn't even do much to stop people from serving.
But it reduces independence for those who go past the average, especially with lifespans increasing

I don't think you get the point. Sure, the president is elected representative, but they then go on and appoint a random number of justices, so some presidents with lots of support end up less appointments and some presidents with little support appoint a lot. It's not representative.
I get your point. I just think it’s irrelevant. If you want to appoint more justices, win more elections and it will naturally happen. Not my fault Hillary lost. Presidential victory and Senate confirmation occur indirectly via the people, so it’s false to say it’s not representative.

Again, you are just ignoring my statistics. The Average appointments per term is already 2.14, so this law actually decreases the number of appointments!
But you want to increase it to 4 nominees every term lol. 2 in first term and 2 in second lol. When the average President gets 2-3 in two terms. So you’re actually wrong.

That's a logical fallacy, It has nothing to do with the actual substance of the argument at hand.
The argument is that your side is salty that they lost the opportunity to appoint a minimum of 2 justices, and so now you want to change the rules so it benefits your side when my side dealt with a Democrat court for practically all of the mid to late 1900s and didn’t advocate for changing the rules. Let’s face it, this request wouldn’t have come up if Hillary had won and appointed Scalia’s and RBG’s seat.
Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@ILikePie5
But it reduces independence for those who go past the average, especially with lifespans increasing
Yes, but that’s the whole point of an average. Most justices won’t be limited by the time frame.

If you want to appoint more justices, win more elections and it will naturally happen.
Or just wait around and it will happen artificially.

Not my fault Hillary lost. Presidential victory and Senate confirmation occur indirectly via the people, so it’s false to say it’s not representative.
Sure, it’s not completely random, but that doesn’t mean that it’s unrepresentative. There is still that element of randomness that we can get rid of.

But you want to increase it to 4 nominees every term lol.
No, I want to decrease it to 2. 18 years and 9 justices. 18 / 9 = 2 so justices get replaced every two years. 4 / 2 = 2, so each term there are 2 appointments, and two terms get 4. It’s simple math. Lol.

But you want to increase it to 4 nominees every term lol. 2 in first term and 2 in second lol. When the average President gets 2-3 in two terms. So you’re actually wrong.
No, the average president gets 2.14 per four year term, so they get 4.28 per 8 year term. You are making up a statistic about each president getting 2-3, when it reality it’s four. 

Let’s face it, this request wouldn’t have come up if Hillary had won and appointed Scalia’s and RBG’s seat.
You’re right, it probably wouldn’t have, but it’s still a logical fallacy. We had no reason to repair a system that we didn’t think was broken. We didn’t think the system would be abused like this, so there wasn’t a need to fix it.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Moozer325
Yes, but that’s the whole point of an average. Most justices won’t be limited by the time frame.
Not necessarily true. It depends on the sample you are using. If you’re including people from the 1700s it’s going to be skewed.

Or just wait around and it will happen artificially.
Not really. Every election matters. The Senate can change every 2 years and Presidency 4. So you have 2 checks on any activity. If people die, it’s God’s will. You want to have control when that happens. So win elections.

No, I want to decrease it to 2. 18 years and 9 justices. 18 / 9 = 2 so justices get replaced every two years. 4 / 2 = 2, so each term there are 2 appointments, and two terms get 4. It’s simple math. Lol.
Ya but that’s still more than the current average of 2-3 lol, so you’re reducing independence.

No, the average president gets 2.14 per four year term, so they get 4.28 per 8 year term. You are making up a statistic about each president getting 2-3, when it reality it’s four.
That’s not how math works when the terms of justices are unlimited. No President has got 4 since Reagan I think. So the average is 2-3 in two terms, not 4 lol.

You’re right, it probably wouldn’t have, but it’s still a logical fallacy. We had no reason to repair a system that we didn’t think was broken. We didn’t think the system would be abused like this, so there wasn’t a need to fix it.
Again, it’s not abuse to follow the rules that have been in place for more than 2 centuries. And you have zero credibility bringing this policy up because your part is not in power in terms of the SCOTUS. We can talk again when your party is in control.
Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@ILikePie5
Ya but that’s still more than the current average of 2-3 lol, so you’re reducing independence.
I think you're a little confused. The average for one four year term is 2.14, and for two four year terms, it's 4.28, not 2-3 as you keep saying. The proposed amendment would make it a solid 4, so it's going from 4.28 to 4, so less appointments.

That’s not how math works when the terms of justices are unlimited. No President has got 4 since Reagan I think. So the average is 2-3 in two terms, not 4 lol.
That's still just a number you came up with in your head. The actual calculated average is 4.28 per 8 years. That is a fact you cannot dispute.

Again, it’s not abuse to follow the rules that have been in place for more than 2 centuries. And you have zero credibility bringing this policy up because your part is not in power in terms of the SCOTUS. We can talk again when your party is in control.
Still a logical fallacy, but yeah, let's do it.

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Moozer325
I think you're a little confused. The average for one four year term is 2.14, and for two four year terms, it's 4.28, not 2-3 as you keep saying. The proposed amendment would make it a solid 4, so it's going from 4.28 to 4, so less appointments.
No, what I’m saying is that your premise of just multiplying by 2 is false because of life tenure playing a factor in the number of seats available to fill.

That's still just a number you came up with in your head. The actual calculated average is 4.28 per 8 years. That is a fact you cannot dispute.
It’s a misleading fact is my point because you’re just multiplying by 2, without considering the nuance of doing so. It’s not a linear relationship.

Still a logical fallacy, but yeah, let's do it.
Not really, because you’re changing the goalposts. But sure, I’ll see you in 30-40 years if the court becomes liberal
Moozer325
Moozer325
No, what I’m saying is that your premise of just multiplying by 2 is false because of life tenure playing a factor in the number of seats available to fill.

It’s a misleading fact is my point because you’re just multiplying by 2, without considering the nuance of doing so. It’s not a linear relationship.
Well, you can't really find the average for the number of justices appointed in a eight year term, because there are some four year terms, but the margin of error is so low that by just multiplying by two, you can get close enough that the average is still above four.

One other thing you can do is to only count the four year terms and not the two year terms, but that is going to be so skewed because there have only been 16 presidents that served two terms. Why do we have to think about it in terms of 8 years and not 4 though?