Time traveler/Rants Mafia DP1

Author: WyIted

Read-only
Total: 292
AustinL0926
Debates: 33
AustinL0926
Wylted's balancing is worrying which makes me think scum might have heavy power but we'll worry about that later.
Barney
Debates: 53
Barney
DASHBOARD
Player                 Character                                      Role
Barn              🗣️ Misogynistic                                 Hated
Austin           ⌛ will be confirmed by MYLO     ???
iLikePie        🗣️ Possibly about mail in ballots
Disc               ⌛  Went on a long rant as well. Well played.
Savant          ⌛
whiteflame ⌛
Lunatic         🗣️
Casey            🗣️
Joebob        🗣️
Owen            🗣️

If I missed anything please let me know.

Reads:
  • Austin: Town
    Simply put, their activity feels authentic. Plus they're volunteering to be lynched later if they're not confirmed by their role.
  • Pie: Town
    The lie detector fake out makes me assume he's town. His reactions as well. I don't know if he gets a better attitude when scum, but his bad attitude is consistent with what I've seen of his town games.
  • DD: leans town
    I still love that early RP, and hope to see more of it. I dislike the laziness (why pressure those who have already claimed the most for info, instead of blank slates?). Still, town makes errors, they may even be more likely to.
  • Savant: leans town
    Able to do math on what's most beneficial for town... Scum can, but it's infrequent for them to be that useful
  • Whiteflame: Town.
    Last time when he was scum I had a feeling which I ignored, I have no such feeling this time. There's no scheme behind his posts.
  • Lunatic: leans Town
    They're being a pleasure to play with, so not in my willing to lynch pile. Plus of course giving good justification for reads.
  • Casey: lean scum
    Only two posts. Dashing some blame around (such as complaining that Savant would say anything about Pie's rather open and obvious Lie Detector thing), then disappearing. I know my activity can be sporadic, but it really feels like they read everything, and chose to post so little
  • Joebob: null
    Too much focus on the whole town vs the town... *yawn* slight benefit that they didn't assign a lot of weight to it, but too little else to go on.
  • Owen: null
    The AI generated lie detector throw off thing was an error, as he had done a solo post. Trying to argue he's scum anyways would be pure confirmation bias, so of course he's scum.

Barney
Barney
-->
@AustinL0926
The balance will depend first on the skill of the host, then on what the other team actually has.
Barney
Barney
-->
@Casey_Risk
While I'm good with taking it further, please provide your claim and justification.

VTL Casey.
ILikePie5
Debates: 3
ILikePie5
-->
@Savant
I get the math, but how is us killing Barney now better than scum killing him at MYLO? I guess killing Barney now is slightly better than killing a different town member, but it's still way worse than killing scum. Better to have a town vote on our side as long as possible to increase our odds of eliminating scum.
Why would scum ever kill him now that he’s claimed that? It benefits them to keep him alive in case we somehow reach LYLO and they automatically win
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@AustinL0926
I still wanna pressure Pie because his attitude to policy lynching is weird af.
It’s math lol. In every scenario, Barney has to die before LYLO.
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
You know, I was really starting to wonder why I even bothered signing up for this game before but... I mean because not only did I not actually intend to actually "return" return to DART - you all know how that was with the website going out and whatever and if you don't then I guess I could explain it but - okay so in general I always preferred playing on the mafia team. It's more fun for me and I am a lot better at it. If you sign up to play hoping you are going to be given a mafia role you're just asking to be disappointed though, right? like... by definition. Because there are so many less mafia than town so just statistically... so OF COURSE when my PM comes in I see that I am town, right? I assume there are two mafia in this one, maybe a TP maybe not, and so OF COURSE the odds are going to be that I get town JUST LIKE THEY ALWAYS ARE. So, like, what was I thinking right? so anyway all that is to explain why I say I was really starting to wonder why I even bothered to sign up.

BUT THE STORY JUST COULDN'T END THERE, COULD IT? NOPE! You see, mafia as a game is about human interaction. examining tells, investigating motives, interacting with... you know... PEOPLE. It's literally in the name of the genre right? it's a SOCIAL deduction game. Lots of people think of it as like actual detective work but... eh... not really? Like, okay detectives interview witnesses and suspects and shit but 99% of the time it's not "AH HA WE CAUGHT THIS FUCKER IN A LIE HE'S THE KILLER" it's more like "oh yeah turns out the murder weapon has the victim's husband's fingerprints on it, that might be a clue". In mafia though it's the opposite. Most pros don't rely too much on roles. They rely more on hints and clues from the SOCIAL INTERACTION - and you'll notice I keep stressing the SOCIAL aspect, we'll get to that - that happens during the day.

So here I am, wondering why I even signed up, but like, it's a social game right? Then this guy posts a MASSIVE list of random facts and I'm like "oh cool random facts I love random facts" so I read some of them and I'm like "sloths can hold their breath longer than dolphins? wow, cool, that's really cool because it seems counter intuitive because dolphins live underwater and sloths, like, don't. What an interesting bit of knowledge about the world being SOCIALLY passed from the mind of one human to the mind of another human, isn't it great that I can be a part of this?" and that was what that was. OR SO I FUCKING THOUGHT. SO I FUCKING DARED TO HOPE.

Because later I go back to see some more. to IMMERSE myself in that SOCIAL experience once again. At first it was cool, like "Oh yeah I knew that one about Scotland's national animal being a unicorn that is kinda whacky haha" and "oh look he snuck 'I am town' in there a few times, get it? it's meta humor referencing the dialogue that led to him posting this in the first place, very clever". But then I noticed a few repeats. This didn't bother me at first, obviously. Like... obviously. Because my FIRST assumption was that he found a website that dedicated itself to collecting random interesting facts - I am sure something like that probably exists - then just copy and pasted a list from there to here. It was a long list, right? so that was my initial assumption. But then when I noticed the repeats I thought "okay, maybe he actually just listed a bunch of stuff from his own memory and copy pasted it multiple times to make it longer not expecting someone to actually read the whole thing" which makes sense, I don't expect most people to actually read this entire post so you know. But anyway what I'm saying is it didn't bother me because it meshed just fine with my initial expectations of taking part in a SOCIAL experience. OR - AGAIN - SO I FUCKING DARED TO GODDAMN HOPE.

You see, it turns out that NONE of what I thought I was experiencing was real. Because it turns out that later this guy says "oh yeah it was AI haha". So now my entire world is shattered in seconds, right? there was no transfer of knowledge about the world from one human mind to another, I wasn't taking part in a connection between two distant souls separated by space and time but connected by the wonders of the internet and a shared interest in knowing random facts. NOPE. None of that was real. IT WAS ALL FUCKING FAKE. What I was actually doing was EATING SLOP. Some lines of computer code best described as a sophisticated text predictor produced a list of SLOP and I ate it up. No connection, no shared experiences, it's genuinely the type of realization that makes a person feel genuinely quite lonely, right? Because... okay... actually...

Let's take a small break here. This isn't part of the rant. If you're reading this then odds are pretty good that you've been enjoying the content so far. I'm glad to have been part of brightening up your day, but obviously I am hamming it up a bit for the entertainment value right? my world wasn't actually shattered into a million million tiny pieces that drove me to despair. It was more of a few moments of mild annoyance that I would have forgotten by now if I wasn't inspired to make it the topic of this rant. But to help you understand why I felt even that mild annoyance I want to speak from the heart for a moment... because I really did feel a bit cheated in a way. Some of the things in that list of random facts? I might be the only person on Earth to read them from that list. The same words exist of course in other lists on the internet that the AI stole from and sure those lists were created and read by real people but that's just not the same, right? I think the best way I can put it is this... like I said a moment ago you've clearly been enjoying the content of this post if you've read this far. What if you were to discover that this was all just AI generated? What if you knew everyone else in the game just skipped this post and continued the game and you read all of it only to discover that a human didn't even have anything to do with it? That you were the only one to ever interact with these words? If you can honestly say that wouldn't make it less enjoyable then that means that I had nothing to do with causing your enjoyment. Anyway, just something to think about. I am hamming it up for the entertainment value but AI really is garbage. Back to the rant.

These damn algorithms - and they are just algorithms not intelligence - can't even get shit right most of the time. Now I don't even know if sloths can actually hold their breaths longer than dolphins because AI just makes shit up so often. I have to go strangle a sloth just to find out. You know BACK IN MY FUCKING DAY AI stood for ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE. As in AN ACTUAL INTELLIGENCE that happened to be ARTIFICIAL. What are you fucking losers calling AI these days? I wasn't exaggerating before these are literally just sophisticated text predictors. A bunch of rich unfuckable losers saw the marketing potential in the buzz around the phrase 'artificial intelligence' and made some quick bucks marketing it to not-so-rich unfuckable losers that are too socially inept to wrap their tiny little minds around why the rest of us AREN'T FUCKING BUYING IT. And you know what? I'll say it... society it worse off because of it. We've lost something. Something special. AI used to fucking mean something. For scifi nerds it WAS a plot device to tell stories about society, for philosophy nerds it WAS a foundation for the discussion and debate of various ideas, for computer nerds it WAS an aspirational goal for the future. I say FUCKING WAS because now it's NONE of those things. Because for unfuckable losers and tech bros it's just a fucking buzzword to use for their goal of distributing slop for profit, and because a few unfuckable tech bros were given a few billion dollars by the blind luck of the stock market they were able to influence marketing in such a way that now that's what it means for all of us. No matter what type of nerd you are, you've been fucked and you've gotten nothing positive for it.

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Barney
  • DD: leans town
    I still love that early RP, and hope to see more of it. I dislike the laziness (why pressure those who have already claimed the most for info, instead of blank slates?). Still, town makes errors, they may even be more likely to.
Fair call-out on the laziness. My excuse is that I have spent most of the DP at work or sleeping. Tomorrow I have a day off and plan on being more active though I will drop in a few times today during my breaks at work as well.
Savant
Debates: 23
Savant
-->
@Casey_Risk
Just claim at this point. Even if you're town, your lack of posting is odd.

VTL Casey
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@Casey_Risk
While I'm not in agreement with some of the behavioral reasons for sussing Casey, the lack of posting after getting two votes on them definitely doesn't sit well with me, especially since Casey has been online since Barney and Luna posted their votes. We're at 3 votes currently with Savant's post, so I don't mind putting Casey at L-2 to secure a claim:

VTL Casey
Casey_Risk
Casey_Risk
Alright, I realize that maybe I haven't been the most active poster here, but I'm not the most active in general. Owen has barely said anything, but oh no, let's all focus on Casey here! "Only two posts" my ass. I've actually made several posts in this very thread, and I'd say I've been engaging with this game, but okay then. Fine. FINE. Can't even blink without everyone pointing a finger at me. I didn't want to have to claim this early, but okay then. You put me at L-2? Then I'll claim now.

FUCK IT, I'LL CLAIM IT NOW. FUCK IT! I'LL DO IT, AND I'LL CLAIM IT NOW! THIS FUCKING GAME SUCKS!
WyIted
Debates: 28
WyIted
Vote Count

Barney(1/6) - Disc, 
Ilikepie (1/6) Austin
Joebon (1/6) ppie
Casey(4/6)savant, , barney, lunatic, whiteflame

Savant
Savant
Unvote for now.
WyIted
Debates: 28
WyIted
Vote Count

Barney(1/6) - Disc, 
Ilikepie (1/6) Austin
Joebon (1/6) ppie
Casey(3/6)barney, lunatic, whiteflame

whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@Casey_Risk
Alright then. 

Unvote
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Owen_T
Your presence is demanded
Barney
Barney
-->
@Casey_Risk
I had glanced at your forum activity, and did not look past the wall of Kamila Is Not A US Citizen posts, which as you can imagine pulled my attention.

Anyways, sorry for the mischaracterization

Unvote
Casey_Risk
Casey_Risk
-->
@Barney
I had glanced at your forum activity, and did not look past the wall of Kamila Is Not A US Citizen posts, which as you can imagine pulled my attention.
Yeah, I don't generally spend a whole lot of time on the forum aside from playing mafia, but when I saw that thread I just felt compelled to say something. I'll admit that I was actually pretty lazy in the first game I played on here, but since then I've strived to be active.
AustinL0926
Debates: 33
AustinL0926
what did Casey claim?
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
Am I missing something or did Casey just claim hated?
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@AustinL0926
Dude I said space our posts out so we don't look like we just talked about it in PM before asking here now it looks super sus.
Savant
Savant
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Dude I said space our posts out so we don't look like we just talked about it in PM before asking here now it looks super sus.
???
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
@AustinL0926
I see a pretty clear character claim in Casey's post, which definitely fits a rant. As for the role, that's more opaque. I've got a couple of possibilities based on the phrasing and emphasis Casey used.
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@Savant
???
Pretty sure he's just comedically drawing attention to the fact that they posted within the same minute. 
Casey_Risk
Casey_Risk
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
@AustinL0926
I was referencing Bill O'Reilly's famous "We'll do it live!" rant. That's my character claim. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fXZj4Wy58Pk&pp=ygUcYmlsbCBvcmVpbGx5IGxldHMgZG8gaXQgbGl2ZQ%3D%3D
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@Casey_Risk
I was referencing Bill O'Reilly's famous "We'll do it live!" rant. That's my character claim. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fXZj4Wy58Pk&pp=ygUcYmlsbCBvcmVpbGx5IGxldHMgZG8gaXQgbGl2ZQ%3D%3D
Yeah, I thought that was pretty obvious. Were you also suggesting a role claim or am I reading too deeply into your post?
Casey_Risk
Casey_Risk
-->
@whiteflame
No, I was just claiming my character. Suffice it to say I'd rather not reveal my full role yet if I don't have to. 
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@Casey_Risk
Alright. I'm willing to leave it at that, but we'll see what everyone else has to say about it.

DASHBOARD
Savant          ⌛ "We'll Do It Live!"                       ???
whiteflame ⌛
Lunatic         🗣️
Casey            🗣️  
Joebob        🗣️
Owen            🗣️

whiteflame
whiteflame
Fixed, put it next to Savant accidentally.

DASHBOARD
Savant          ⌛ 
whiteflame ⌛
Lunatic         🗣️
Casey            🗣️  "We'll Do It Live!"                       ???
Joebob        🗣️
Owen            🗣️

Barney
Barney
DASHBOARD
Player          ❔ Character                                            Role
Barn              🗣️ Misogynistic                                        Hated
Austin           ⏳ will be confirmed by MYLO           ???
Casey            🗣️ Bill O'Reilly Teleprompter Issue ??? 
Disc               ⏳  Went on a long rant as well. Well played.
Savant          ⏳
whiteflame ⏳
Lunatic         🗣️
Joebob        🗣️
Owen            🗣️

I for one am good with people giving character claims, but not immediately role claims. There are plenty with neither.