Total: 518
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
The Ultimate Reality cannot change,
You have no way of knowing this.

because if it changed it wouldn't be The Ultimate Reality.
This bald assertion is simply an ontological argument.

If it changed, it wouldn't already be perfect.
Another ontological argument.  You have no way of knowing this.  What do you mean by "perfect" and how could you possibly verify that it applies?

As The Ultimate Reality does not change, time has no dominion over it.
How could you possibly know if the unknown/unknowable "changed" or not?
Plisken
Debates: 0
Plisken
-->
@3RU7AL
Important for what?  
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Plisken
Important for what? 
It is important to maintain a constant awareness of and vigilant respect of our epistemological limits.

So you don't get seduced and or brainwashed by con-artists and liars.
Plisken
Plisken
-->
@3RU7AL
Well our epistomology needs work if it can't differentiate between a con man and common sense.  

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Plisken
I've always found "common sense" to be such an amorphous concept that it is practically meaningless.
Plisken
Plisken
-->
@3RU7AL
0.o That mental capacity which enables one to practically function under circumstance in which one may not pretend to comprehend.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Plisken
In real, actual, practical terms it is nearly impossible to implement.

Plisken
Plisken
-->
@3RU7AL
Humans aren't computers that just take an input and spit out something that can be considered as information.  They aren't approaching a problem as a person.  There's no will from which to establish a goal, no practical consideration.  

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Plisken
If you can't quantify it, it is qualia.

If it is qualia, then it is just a matter of opinion.

If it is just a matter of opinion, it is practically meaningless.
Plisken
Plisken
-->
@3RU7AL
Really, you can't make 'meaningful' deductions without a measuring stick?
Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
-->
@keithprosser
Welcome to the Religion Forum. It's why I generally stay away from it. It's nothing more than a pissing competition between atheists and Christians (and third parties).
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Plisken
If you say something like, "the cable is about two meters long", then I know it is an approximation and we are able to communicate.

If you say, "use common sense" I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

It's exactly as useful as "figure it out yourself", or "use your brain".
Plisken
Plisken
-->
@Mharman
He claims to have the will power to have read through this entire thread lol.

Plisken
Plisken
-->
@3RU7AL
Cut the cable a little longer than you need so it doesn't weigh as much and we'll size it afterwords.  That way, we don't even have to worry about measuring it wrong.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Plisken
Good idea.
Plisken
Plisken
But wait, there's more!  For only four payments of $19.95 you can learn the ancient art of cable cutting.  Cut not one but two cables, for free!!
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
You say I can't know, but you don't really know that to be the case.

I know that The Ultimate Reality, by necessity, must be perfect and unchanging. What that means is, it transcends time. Time is contingent on it, not the other way around.

If The Ultimate Reality changes, it is no longer The Absolute, and what that ultimately means is that nothing is real.

You dismissing what I say as an ontological argument does not invalid what I am saying. What do you think we are discussing? The Supreme Being.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
We agree on the logical necessity of "NTURTTGgTS" AND that it is unknown/unknowable.

Everything else you claim about it, that it is "unchanging" and or "perfect" and or "transcends time"?

All of those claims demand evidence.

All of those claims also demand strict definitions.

This is an ontological argument - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVbnciQYMiM
Mopac
Mopac
I do not watch videos. I post on my breaks at work.

We agree on the logical necessity of "NTURTTGgTS" AND that it is unknown/unknowable.
What this demonstrates to me is that you are making a mockery of this discussion, because what we are talking about is intrinsically tied to "The Ultimate Reality" and what it means to fulfill that definition.

You are using it as a "fill in the blank" type of assertion, which is certainly fallacious.

What does "The Ultimate Reality" mean?

All these claims about it being unchanging and perfect are implied by accepting it as being what it is. The Ultimate Reality. This is a definition.

If the reality isn't perfect, how can you call it The Ultimate Reality? The perfect Reality would be The Supreme Being. If reality changes with time, how is it a greater reality than time? The Ultimate Reality must be perfect and unchanging, these two qualities are one and the same. The Ultimate Reality is perfection, and that never changes. It can't.

Ontology is the study of being. We are literally discussing The Supreme Being. The Ultimate Reality. This is an ontological subject, so you pointing out that this is an ontological argument is about as meaningful as saying, "We are having a discussion".

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
All these claims about it being unchanging
How do you know if it is "unchanging"?

and perfect
How do you know if it is "perfect"?

are implied by accepting it as being what it is.
We already agreed that it is unknown/unknowable.

The Ultimate Reality. This is a definition.
Your insistence on "definition" is merely axiomatic.

You can't randomly assign characteristics to something that is unknown/unknowable without some sort of justification.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
Now you are being ridiculous.

You are substituting "The Ultimate Reality" for any unknown. That is why you keep calling it noumenon. You are talking about noumenon.

Well, I am not talking about noumenon, I am talking about The Ultimate Reality.

Your god is as big as your intellect.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
How do you know if it is "unchanging"?

How do you know if it is "perfect"?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
It has everything to do with what "The Ultimate Reality" means. This is not aimply an arbitrary string of words, it an identifier!

How do you identify The Ultimate Reality?

Well, for it to be what it is, it must be ONE. The Ultimate Reality, by definition must be 1. Both the word "The" and the word "Ultimate" solidify this.

The Ultimate Reality must be perfect and complete. It must account for all other realities. If this wasn't the case, then a reality could exist independent of it, and if a reality existed independent of it, how could The Ultimate Reality be all encompasing? It must always be real, ultimately real. For that reason, there can be no reality apart from it. Reality apart from The Ultimate Reality is nonexistence. That iis not reality, it is the absence of reality.

Time as a reality can only exist by The Ultimate Reality. As this is the case, time can have no dominion over The Ultimate Reality. The Ultimate Reality cannot change, because if it changed, that would mean that it is subject to causal forces. If this was the case, causality and time would be greater realities. The Ultimate Reality can not be subject to another reality. If the entire universe acted in unison, it could not effect The Ultimate Reality. The universe is constantly changing, time has dominion in the universe. God is not effected by these things ,but God holds all of it in eternity, a timeless eternity. A perfection of that which is.

So if The Ultimate Reality could be replaced, changed, effected, it wouldn't truly be The Ultimate Reality. It has to be perfect. Complete. All encompassing. Unique. Singular. 

How do I know? It has been revealed to me, and it can be revealed to you too if you ponder on that name.

The Ultimate Reality.

What does that mean? Meditate on it. You'll see I am not simply making this up. It's innate to what it is.

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Mopac
The Ultimate reality hypothesis? 
Orrrrrrrrr
The theroy of Ultimate reality?

I say none. 
Thus raising questions.
Thus not ultimate. 

Hey did i ever mention that i once beat a cat with a stick?

Good day Pac mo.

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Hey did i ever mention that i once beat a cat with a stick?

Yes actually, about 5 to 6 times if I had to take a guess over the years between DDO and here, is there anything you would like to expand on about that incident? I mean you always bring it up how about we talk about it....what is it you wish to get out of bringing it up? most likely there are some repressed feelings you have. Wana play DR Phil?

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Mysteries are not necessarily things to be solved or understoood, they are to be experienced.

disgusted
disgusted
An signifies singular and atheists is plural so your claim is technically correctly. Sorry, I'm just sick of reading it.
KingLaddy01
KingLaddy01
-->
@Grugore
Just because your contention is a paragraph long does NOT mean this malarkey is intelligent, and all I have to do is say this "Strawman". 

Criminals have seen cops. Atheists think Christianity is utter hogwash, and many hate the foundation and continuing of the religion.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@KingLaddy01
Criminals have seen cops. Atheists think Christianity is utter hogwash, and many hate the foundation and continuing of the religion.
I don't speak gibberish, what does that mean?

KingLaddy01
KingLaddy01
-->
@disgusted
*continuation is better

You should've asked yourself that plenty of times. Pity.