Why bring Afghan refugees here?

Author: thett3

Total: 59
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Lemming
They don't 'necessarily 'want to live in the 'USA.
Well, it would seem that they prefer the USA to their current domestic situation.
Lemming
Debates: 7
Lemming
-->
@3RU7AL
Quite probable, for a number of them.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@3RU7AL
Well, it would seem that they prefer the USA to their current domestic situation.

Are you sure? I would rather live in Europe than China if I was forcibly resettled by a major superpower.

And it's not like Pakistan told them to fuck off.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Greyparrot
Well, it would seem that they prefer the USA to their current domestic situation.

Are you sure? I would rather live in Europe than China if I was forcibly resettled by a major superpower.

And it's not like Pakistan told them to fuck off.
I'm not suggesting it's their idea of heaven.

I'm only suggesting that it might be somewhat preferable to hell.
949havoc
949havoc
It is more than past time for other countries to contribute more than they currently do to absorbing refugees of war, just as it is for them to relax their typical immigration laws. I do not believe it is anyone's right to live wherever they choose. It certainly is not an enumerated right in the Constitution of the United States. In fact, that document's only enumerated right to non-citizens is access to due process. Legal immigrants or refugees must be accepted by countries at each country's discretion, and more countries ought to be as generous as has been the United States.
Mesmer
Debates: 0
Mesmer
-->
@949havoc
Legal immigrants or refugees must be accepted by countries at each country's discretion, and more countries ought to be as generous as has been the United States.
I don't think any country "ought" to be as generous.

Refugees are nothing but a burden on a country. They cost money up front, they don't necessarily contribute anything, they undermine the country with racial in-group bias and different culture, and eventually they grow so comfortable (or rather their children) that they DEMAND voting rights, affirmative action, their own spaces and infrastructure (e.g. places of worship, their language in public settings) to suit THEM.

Other countries might already understand how burdensome refugees are. It would be better if refugees stayed in their own country, fixed the problems that they've contributed to, and America just stopped trying to be the savior of the world when it badly hurts itself doing so.

949havoc
949havoc
-->
@Mesmer
I agree with you in principle. However, most countries that create a refugee status leave little ability for refugees to fix their own problems. Those problems are mostly the responsibility of their governments, both in cause and solution. If countries were more generous to their citizens in allowing their peoples' rights to flourish, we would not have a worldwide refugee condition other than by natural disaster. Greed for power, unfortunately, is a greater temptation than to be of service to society.
Mesmer
Mesmer
-->
@949havoc
I agree with you in principle. However, most countries that create a refugee status leave little ability for refugees to fix their own problems. Those problems are mostly the responsibility of their governments, both in cause and solution. If countries were more generous to their citizens in allowing their peoples' rights to flourish, we would not have a worldwide refugee condition other than by natural disaster. Greed for power, unfortunately, is a greater temptation than to be of service to society.
Every country has the government it deserves. It is a requirement of the people that they keep their government in check. The refugees are part of the corrupt government problem they are fleeing. They haven't learned how to keep their government in check, so they'll pop across to another country and eventually let/help it happen again. That's part of why the 3rd World is the 3rd World.
949havoc
949havoc
Every country has the government it deserves.
I disagree with that entire premise. The government every country deserves is one that allows the greatest degree of human freedom of thought and action.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mesmer
Refugees are nothing but a burden on a country.
The overwhelming majority of humans living in the united states are the descendants of poor immigrants.
Mesmer
Mesmer
-->
@949havoc
I disagree with that entire premise. The government every country deserves is one that allows the greatest degree of human freedom of thought and action.
Governments tend towards oppressing their people. Governments WON'T just give you freedom because it loses power when it does so. The country's people need to be at the ready to fight against tyranny when the government decides to overreach. If you're not ready to fight for freedom, you simply won't end up with it (eventually).

949havoc
949havoc
-->
@Mesmer
I agree with all of your #41.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mesmer
The country's people need to be at the ready to fight against tyranny when the government decides to overreach. If you're not ready to fight for freedom, you simply won't end up with it (eventually).
Well stated.

31 days later

thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
thett3
thett3
thett3
thett3
Are any of the people who were attacking me in this thread going to apologize? we brought in unvetted people from a culture that for centuries has condoned violence against women and the sexual exploitation of minors, and lo and behold, they are already committing sex crimes and acts of violence against women. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@thett3
Are any of the people who were attacking me in this thread going to apologize? we brought in unvetted people from a culture that for centuries has condoned violence against women and the sexual exploitation of minors, and lo and behold, they are already committing sex crimes and acts of violence against women. 
What specific claim are you trying to make ?
thett3
thett3
-->
@3RU7AL
Afghan refugees should not be settled in the United States because their culture is not compatible with ours. For a fraction of the cost it takes to settle a refugee here, a refugee could be settled in Central Asia. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@thett3
Afghan refugees should not be settled in the United States because their culture is not compatible with ours. For a fraction of the cost it takes to settle a refugee here, a refugee could be settled in Central Asia. 
Are you specifically objecting to the men being relocated, or the women and children as well.
MarkWebberFan
MarkWebberFan
I think there's a lot of western-educated women staying in Afghanistan. I saw a few tik tok videos about their intention to continue their fight for women's rights. If large numbers of them remain in Afghanistan, I guess the US took in the wrong kind of women.

Apparently, the muslim ulama believes that the Taliban perverted large sections of Sharia Law. So, in essence, the Taliban is not exactly a fundamentalist group. I think they're more extreme than the usual. Good luck trying to wean them off their fundamentalist beliefs. 
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@drlebronski
the people going onto the planes very obviously  want to leave afghanistan if they are going into the planes.... 

Yeah, anyone living in a sh*thole country would get on a plane in a heartbeat to go to a first world nation with a robust welfare state that will coddle them.
RationalMadman
Debates: 574
RationalMadman
-->
@bmdrocks21
So, to deter them, it would be better to mimic the 'shithole' tendencies? 

Right, gotcha.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
Best way to deter Migrants is to turn the entire country into DC.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
@RM

Which tendencies are you referring to? Keeping dangerous people out of your country is what we should any sane country should try to do.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Greyparrot
Best way to deter Migrants is to turn the entire country into DC.

If we had half of the drones and active duty military on our border as we had in Afghanistan, we wouldn't have this problem...
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@bmdrocks21
America is the root cause. Kamala will fix that.
Mesmer
Mesmer
the people going onto the planes very obviously  want to leave afghanistan if they are going into the planes.... 
Yeah, anyone living in a sh*thole country would get on a plane in a heartbeat to go to a first world nation with a robust welfare state that will coddle them.
So, to deter them, it would be better to mimic the 'shithole' tendencies? 

Right, gotcha.
How on Earth did you get that from what he said LOL

He didn't say make the US a sh*thole country so that they don't come.

What is wrong with you hahahaha
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Mesmer
Enforcing immigration laws and caring about your citizens more than foreign citizens is for sh*thole countries only, I guess. That's the only possible point I could surmise from that utterly inappropriate response.
sadolite
sadolite
"Why bring Afghan refugees here?" My first gut feeling guess would be to make it easier to facilitate terrorist attacks by them, there by giving govt an excuse to curtail rights and freedoms.