It is time: Ramshutu AMA

Author: Ramshutu

Total: 219
Outplayz
Debates: 0
Outplayz
-->
@Ramshutu
A.) That our lives have more value than we can ever know.
That is a good realization. 

B.) If humanity fucks everything up, it’s not the end of the universe.
To me, this makes the above realization a little depressing. Bc humans are fucking things up. This world could be a lot better... it's sad it's not. 

Not the end of the universe? I guess this depends on your overall beliefs which i don't know. But if it is the common understanding of atheism... "if" humans fuck it up... it is the end of the universe bc you'll never live again. 
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Guess I watch too much politics. 
This will depress you. Do you smoke weed? Wait nvm you're too young... don't. But when i smoke and watch politics... i feel paranoid and depressed. When i listen to music, play games, research stuff i want to... i feel great. Small test, but i think politics is depressing to most people. Just my speculation. 

TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
This will depress you. Do you smoke weed? Wait nvm you're too young... don't. But when i smoke and watch politics... i feel paranoid and depressed. When i listen to music, play games, research stuff i want to... i feel great. Small test, but i think politics is depressing to most people. Just my speculation. 
No drugs. Just simply watching politics. 

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@TheRealNihilist
No drugs. Just simply watching politics. 
That's good no drugs. Weed just heightens how i feel.. i noticed i feel bad watching politics high for the most part. In your case, idk. I think politics is depressing personally. I'm sure not everyone agrees with me, but it seems you might. I guess being aware that's just how things are makes it better... but not really. Moderation seems to be key for me.  

Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@Outplayz
For B, the issue is always going to be depressing. People will die, there will be consequences, our world could be destroyed if we mess up. It’s not to say that is a certainty - just a possibility.

its positive knowing that whatever the consequences, they are unimportant in the grand scheme of things. If we do end up destroying our planet, no divine plan is messed up; there are no external consequences - we destroy ourselves and that is all. 

In some ways thst is tremendously reassuring

bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Is Dr.Franklin in jail?
He is temp-banned and will return soon. 
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I am still at the depressing stage. How long did it take to be uplifting or what changed it?
Neil Degrass Tyson - and specifically a lecture he gave about perspective on the universe. When you feel important and look at the universe, you feel small: when you feel unimportant, and look at the universe: you feel big, as you realize that you are just an accident, an amazing miracle that is able to  appreciate your tiny place and position within the universe.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
Do you have something else important other then God not existing? Pushing sorry if it too much. You can not answer if you want.
That story I gave you came about two months before an unsuccessful suicide attempt. I almost went with that for my first answer, but it’s less fun. There’s a bit too much stigma about depression and suicide in general - I think it’s good for people to know other people have been through it. And you can ask me anything on this - to a point.

I am negative about it. Guess I watch too much politics. 
History always works in cycles; they’re getting faster, but they are much the same. Liberalization, reactionary, liberal, reactionary. The arc of history always gets more liberal. As long as your vocal about what you beleive in, and give time and money to causes you beleive in: you so all you can.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@bsh1
did you get back the matrix of leadership?
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Ramshutu
its positive knowing that whatever the consequences, they are unimportant in the grand scheme of things. If we do end up destroying our planet, no divine plan is messed up; there are no external consequences - we destroy ourselves and that is all. 
In some ways thst is tremendously reassuring.
There is always the chance we could accidentally disturb the vacuum state of the universe.   That would be end the entire universe as we know it. 

Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@keithprosser
That is possible: if true, the same is true of any other species in the universe too; so I don’t take that fully seriously.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Ramshutu
That is possible: if true, the same is true of any other species in the universe too; so I don’t take that fully seriously.
I hadn't thought of that.  Perhaps we better hope there are no aliens out there as it only takes one unhinged or bored quantum mechanic any where in the universe and it's Goodnight Vienna.  Cheery thought.

Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@keithprosser
its unlikely anyone could affect it. Bubble nucleation would be precipitated most likely by a Quantum tunneling event - it’s not something that would easily be triggered by a civilization drilling for new dank memes.
e

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Ramshutu

Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@keithprosser
The fact you just referenced one of my favorited Tom Lehrer songs makes you my new favourite person on this site.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@keithprosser
Note: this is one of the songs I can play on the piano!
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Ramshutu
That is possible: if true, the same is true of any other species in the universe too;

No it is not possible, because we live in a finite Universe with a finite set of eternally inviolated cosmic laws/principles.

1st law of thermodynamics stems for structural and systemic integrity.

These people who keep going on about 'anything is "possible" and infinite this and infinite that  ---other than space and concepts--- are pretty much clueless is these cosmic regards. 

It is tho to actually follow rational, logical common sense pathways is too  much effort or they feel they may hurt their  brains if they follow rational, logical common sense pathways of thought. Go figure, because most of the definitly do not figure well.

To just its all infinite and anything is lazy cop-out and their brain remains safe in its warm cozy cocoon of illogical irrationality.

.........................................Space(Time) i (Time)Space................................................

............................................Space(>*<) i (>*<)Space...................................................

.." U " niverse > Universe > universe > i -verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse

( Spirit-3 )( Spirit-4 > Spirit-2  > * Spirit-1 * Spirit-2 < Spirit-4 )( Spirit-3  )
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Outplayz
Have you ever been to thailand?
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Ramshutu
the issue is always going to be depressing.
I wouldn't say always... however, i don't think we can get to what i'm thinking of if we continue how we are. There are just little things that would make a world of difference, one being accepting people are different. So simple to say... but human apes don't get it yet. But i could see a time were everyone is more than happy... getting there is another story. 

Yeah that is. I like that. It's really interesting that although i am highly spiritual and/or believe there is something after we die... i see it exactly how an atheist sees it. I understand why you find it reassuring. Nothing matters except that you try to live the best you can. Anyone that gets hurt in that process are humans. It has nothing to do with an afterlife... that's how i see it too. If there is a "divine" plan... i think we are seeing it exactly as it should be. 
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@disgusted
Have you ever been to thailand?
No. I want to go. I have watched some Youtube videos of travelers, but i'm sure that doesn't capture much of the experience. Have you been? 

bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@Ramshutu
Huh?
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Outplayz
i could likely kill someone if i hit them my hardest in the face.
Most 5yr olds think that.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Ramshutu
Neil Degrass Tyson - and specifically a lecture he gave about perspective on the universe. When you feel important and look at the universe, you feel small: when you feel unimportant, and look at the universe: you feel big, as you realize that you are just an accident, an amazing miracle that is able to  appreciate your tiny place and position within the universe.
I don't really like Neil Degrasse Tyson and I have heard this message before but it hasn't done it for me. Basically pretty much reinforcing you are not part of a bigger picture you instead are a lump of matter floating through the space you take. Care to explain how this worked for you or do have something less depressing but you found uplifting?
That story I gave you came about two months before an unsuccessful suicide attempt. I almost went with that for my first answer, but it’s less fun. There’s a bit too much stigma about depression and suicide in general - I think it’s good for people to know other people have been through it. And you can ask me anything on this - to a point.
 Was it something a gradual increase or was there a sudden moment that brought you to the edge? No specifics needed apart this part. What generally made the suicide attempt unsuccessful. Basically can answer like my friend told me how much they mean to me or something.
History always works in cycles; they’re getting faster, but they are much the same. Liberalization, reactionary, liberal, reactionary. The arc of history always gets more liberal. As long as your vocal about what you beleive in, and give time and money to causes you beleive in: you so all you can.
I don't know. There seem to a lot of dumb people from where I looking at them from. I don't consider my professional in any topics yet as you can see from my record excluding mass forfeits they can't really make a better argument. Kind of goes to show the failure of removing bad ideas like Religion, anti-vaxxing, homeschooling etc. 
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Outplayz
That's good no drugs. Weed just heightens how i feel.. i noticed i feel bad watching politics high for the most part. In your case, idk. I think politics is depressing personally. I'm sure not everyone agrees with me, but it seems you might. I guess being aware that's just how things are makes it better... but not really. Moderation seems to be key for me.  
Okay.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@bsh1
He is temp-banned and will return soon. 
Was it due to spam? 
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Outplayz
...."although i am highly spiritual"...
OP, hat seperates you from lowly spiritual or "highly spiritual" and not lowly spiritual?

and/or believe there is something after we die.
Universe continues to exist after each of dies.

mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Ramshutu
Neil Degrass Tyson - and specifically a lecture he gave about perspective on the universe.
Carl Sagan states in his last book "Dragons of Eden" that humanity is entering a 'Dark Age'.

Bucky Fuller states in his last book "Cosmography" humanity is now in a "Dark Age".

Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I don't really like Neil Degrasse Tyson and I have heard this message before but it hasn't done it for me. Basically pretty much reinforcing you are not part of a bigger picture you instead are a lump of matter floating through the space you take. Care to explain how this worked for you or do have something less depressing but you found uplifting?
It depends on your perspective. We are a lump of matter floating through space that is the product of exploding stars that is now looking through telescopes to find other floating lumps of matter, and trying - and often succeeding - to try and figure out how we got here. 

The universe is only depressing if you had an over inflated idea of your place in it. If you beleive your an unimportant lump of matter, the sheer amazing ness of what we lump of matters are figuring out should make you feel good ;) 

Was it something a gradual increase or was there a sudden moment that brought you to the edge? No specifics needed apart this part. What generally made the suicide attempt unsuccessful. Basically can answer like my friend told me how much they mean to me or something.
Like many, it was a relatively long period of depression culminating I one relatively minor precipitating event that pushed everything over the edge. Though this was 20 year’s ago. What ultimately made it unsuccessful was an exceptional local hospital and my inadequate knowledge of pharmacology. 

I don't know. There seem to a lot of dumb people from where I looking at them from. I don't consider my professional in any topics yet as you can see from my record excluding mass forfeits they can't really make a better argument. Kind of goes to show the failure of removing bad ideas like Religion, anti-vaxxing, homeschooling etc. 
Humans have always, always been dumb. The entire history of humanity has been a list of humans believing in insane shit, realizing it, and then improving themselves and the world until the next set of dumb sh*t comes along. It’s sad, but anti-vaxx is going to last right up until the next major pandemic.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@bsh1
My previous explanation of the ban was here:

mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Ramshutu
Rshu, Why would Carl adn Bucky state the following and do you agree?

Carl Sagan states in his last book "Dragons of Eden" { 1977 } that humanity is entering a 'Dark Age'.

Bucky Fuller states in his last book "Cosmography" { 1983 } humanity is now in a "Dark Age".