"Religious Freedom" = Discrimination = Hate

Author: 3RU7AL

Total: 737
Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@Mopac
s sexual orientation evena protected class to begin with? In the context of a business being allowed to refuse service?
Not where I live. Not to my knowledge.

Well, if it isn't I think it should be as long as we have the civil rights act.  It is not protected under the Civil Rights Act at the federal level as of this time. 
Stronn
Debates: 0
Stronn
-->
@Mopac
I asked whether you think a business should have the right to refuse service to blacks and/or the disabled because of the business owners' religious beliefs.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Snoopy
I think comparing sexual orientation to race is kind of asinine, but I am all for loving everyone.

I am concerned about churches being forced by law to bow to the lbgt agenda, because as I said earlier, the type of things that are being proposed at city hall where I live would demand churches to do things we definitely won't do. 

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@3RU7AL
  • If you offer one set of services to one customer, you must offer those same or equivalent services to all paying customers.
He was, he was offering heterosexual wedding cakes to anyone who wanted to buy one. 
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Stronn
I thought it was obvious I said yes, and there would  still be consequences.

But it is against the law anyway, so it doesn't matter. I'm not calling to change the law. 

I wiuld be effected if a business were to discriminate on these things, and I think that is worth mentioning.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
He was, he was offering heterosexual wedding cakes to anyone who wanted to buy one. 
Heterosexuality is not an attribute that cakes possess.

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
I'm still trying to picture,  A Christian bakery. 
Stronn
Stronn
-->
@secularmerlin
I'm sure he meant heterosexual-themed.
Speedrace
Debates: 63
Speedrace
-->
@3RU7AL
@Alec
Jesus would never encourage conversion therapy...that's horrendous @Alec

Our country is in such a sad place right now, @3RU7AL
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@Speedrace
The bible says that men who practice homosexuality will go to hell.  Our country is in a scary place because communist leftists run our schools and much of the mainstream media.  Facebook banned Paul Joseph Watson.
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@Alec
The Bible also says that those who complain will go to hell, along with liars, murderers, thieves, and people who spread strife

I fit more than one of those categories (not murderer tho lol) but I'm still going to heaven

You go to hell for unbelief, not sin
Alec
Alec
-->
@Speedrace
You go to hell for a lot of things.  The bible says most of us will go to hell.  It's why I'm not religious.  I think God is a tyrant.
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@Alec
You go to hell for one thing: unbelief, not sin

And the Bible doesn't say most of us will go to hell, I believe it's actually a pretty large majority that will go to heaven (2/3+), but I'm not sure where it says that
Alec
Alec
-->
@Speedrace
Matthew 7:13-14 states, “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."(https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%207:13-14&version=NIV)
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Snoopy
No just read
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@secularmerlin
lol they can identify any way they want, fine, wedding cakes for heterosexual weddings. :)
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
How does a cake for a heterosexual wedding differ from a cake for a homosexual wedding?
Ingredients?
Time in the oven?
Color of icing?
It seems like the two projects are similar enough that you could just make a cake for a heterosexual wedding and then sell it to someone having a homosexual wedding.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Speedrace
You go to hell for unbelief, not sin
How have you determined that this is the case?
And the Bible doesn't say most of us will go to hell, I believe it's actually a pretty large majority that will go to heaven (2/3+), but I'm not sure where it says that
If the bible gives any figures on this I'm unaware of it but even if it did how have you determined that the bible is an accurate source for determining it?
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@secularmerlin
intent and purpose.

It seems like the two projects are similar enough that you could just make a cake for a heterosexual wedding and then sell it to someone having a homosexual wedding.
they have the option to purchase one from the case, so yeah that's true in a way.

Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@secularmerlin
How have you determined that this is the case?
I should clarify; everyone sins, and Jesus is here to basically stand in for you when you refuse him you basically say that you'll take the punishment that you deserve for sinning

If the bible gives any figures on this I'm unaware of it but even if it did how have you determined that the bible is an accurate source for determining it?
Because we're talking about Christianity...
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
If the cakes in the case are significantly different in complexity then it is also untrue in a more fundamental way. But let's assume that it is true for a moment. In that case and if the cakes in the case are what he is offering homosexuals then he has ALREADY baked several gay wedding cakes and I am unclear what difference one more or less would make moralistically or theologically. It rather invalidates the religious objection if that us true.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Speedrace
I should clarify; everyone sins, and Jesus is here to basically stand in for you when you refuse him you basically say that you'll take the punishment that you deserve for sinning
This is your claim. Do you have evidence for this claim?
Because we're talking about Christianity...
The bible is not in my experience a good source for determining any given christians beliefs and even if it was the mere fact that one specific person or even many people believe something is not evidence of the truth of the propisition.
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@secularmerlin
John 3:18

The bible is not in my experience a good source for determining any given christians beliefs
That's your claim. Where's your proof for that claim?

the mere fact that one specific person or even many people believe something is not evidence of the truth of the propisition.
I never said it was
Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@secularmerlin
You should not say they don't have the option to buy a custom cake, or that they are barred from purchasing complex cakes since that has never been proven.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Speedrace
John 3:18
Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

Ok you have replaced your claim with the bible's claim. Now what? Do you have any evidence for the bible's claims or even just this one biblical claim?
The bible is not in my experience a good source for determining any given christians beliefs
That's your claim. Where's your proof for that 
Only that christians interpret the bible differently not just from denomination to denomination but from individual to individual. As an example am Amish person has very different ideas about what is acceptable in the eyes of the Yahweh (which is I believe one reason you see so few of them on the boards).

Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@secularmerlin
Ok you have replaced yoir claim with the bible claim. Now what? Do you have any evidence for the bible claims or even just this one biblical claim?
That scripture is the evidence...

Only that christians interpret the bible differently not just from denomination to denomination but from individual to individual. As an example am Amish person has very different ideas about what is acceptable in the eyes of the Yahweh (which is I believe one reason you see so few of them on the boards).
But we're not talking about what Christians believe, we're talking about what the Bible says
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Snoopy
You should not say they don't have the option to buy a custom cake, or that they are barred from purchasing complex cakes since that has never been proven. 
When discussing the efficacy of legislation one must consider the worst case scenario.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Speedrace
We are getting of topic and that is rude of us but I invite you to create a thread about this subject in which I may participate.
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@secularmerlin
Lol I'm good, arguing about what the Bible says with an atheist is completely pointless
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Speedrace
My argument is actually that it does not matter what it says in the bible but as I said we are getting off topic.