Quasi Dungeons and Dragons

Author: drafterman

Total: 4,160
Earth
Debates: 4
Earth
-->
@drafterman
Please replace Acid Splash with Minor illusion on Grahf.
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@Earth
Sure
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@secularmerlin
@Earth
Speaking of spells:

secularmerlin/Eikka:

As a Cleric, in addition to your Cantrips and Domain Spells (Command, Identify) you get 3 spells you can prepare per day. Which 3 would you like to start the game prepared? Choices:

Bane, Bless, Ceremony, Create or Destroy Water, Cure Wounds, Detect Evil and Good, Detect Magic, Detect Poison and Disease, Guiding Bolt, Healing Word, Inflict Wounds, Protection from Evil and Good, Purify Food and Drink, Sanctuary, Shield of Faith

Earth/Grahf:

As a Wizard, in addition to your Cantrips, you get 4 spells you can prepare per day. Which 4 would you like to start the game prepared? Choices:
Burning Hands, Catapult, Disguise Self, Fog Cloud, Magic Missile, Sleep

Earth
Earth
-->
@drafterman
Fog Cloud, Sleep, magic Missle, Disguise Self.
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@drafterman
Sanctuary, guided bolt, cure wounds
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@Earth
Having another person capable of at least some illusory spells wouldn't be a bad idea. Plus fog cloud def would go well in combo with it. Minor illusion to trick enemies into thinking you or someone else ran into said fog cloud, so they chase after right off, as you said yourself, a cliff, is a definite clever combination 🤔
Earth
Earth
-->
@Buddamoose
Can you use Minor Illusion to make monsters run into a bonfire by making them think there is nothing there?

Earth
Earth
Would making enemies kill themselves grant you Exp? 

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@Earth
Sure, but you'd also have to convince them to actually go over to that spot for whatever reason, which is where Charisma and more specifically persuasion/deception comes into play 🤔
Earth
Earth
-->
@Buddamoose
I guess you could stand away from them and goad them into attacking you.
drafterman
drafterman
You could use minor illusion to obscure a campfire, but it wouldn't create an unnatural attraction to that spot. Also, for minor illusion, it creates either sight or sound. So while you might hide the campfire from view, you can't muffle its sound, block its heat, or obscure any smoke that rises out of the area effect. A better idea would be to hide the opening to a pit trap with a false illusion of the ground.

I'm doing milestone leveling, so XP will not be a thing in this game.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@Earth
I could, that's one of the main reasons why i chose performance, because heckling is in itself a form of performance 👏. Its not enough to just insult people, you have to hit them where it hurts. 

Ex: You don't call a musclebound guy a meathead, thats not gonna rile em up. Telling them it looks like theyre getting pudgy in the waistline and while they've been busy pumping iron their wife/gf has been busy getting pumped full of dicks, though, that's likely to goad a hostile reaction. This is also true in terms of responses to heckling, a good heckler let's the person get a few jabs in as a means to get them emotionally invested, so when you pull out the zingers, they're super likely to flip their shit 😏

Earth
Earth
-->
@drafterman
When does the game start?
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Earth
Tonight or tomorrow.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
Tonight or tomorrow

WOOOOOOOOOOO
Earth
Earth
-->
@drafterman
Do you have a plot drafted?
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Earth
I didn't want to spoil anything, but I'll be doing a module.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@secularmerlin
@Buddamoose
@Earth
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Before we begin, a note on preferred style:

Bold is speech.

Italics is thought.

Normal text is descriptive/action.

I will also use the quote tool to provide setting information.
Activity requested is minimum 1/post per day. If everyone posts, I'll follow up when I can, so we may be able to get more than one post a day in.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@secularmerlin
@Buddamoose
@Earth
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Day 1.
Evening.
Raining.
To a party of seasoned adventurers such as yourselves, what you see is but another dull tavern in another dull town in some nameless province nestled at the foothills of some nameless mountains. It is but another span of time between the challenges of true adventuring.

Outside the tavern, a fog lies over the town this evening. The damp, cobbled pavement glistens as the lights of street lanterns dance across the slick stones. The fog chills the bones and shivers the soul of anyone outside.Yet inside these tavern walls the food is hearty, and the ale is warm and frothy. A fire blazes in the hearth, and the tavern is alive with the tumbling voices of country folk.

drafterman
drafterman
(Oh, and anything out-of-character should be put in parenthesis)
Earth
Earth
-->
@drafterman
Drafterman, describe the Tavern more in detail, including the amount of people and anything of note
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@drafterman
Let's find a table in the corner, and place order some food.
(do the patrons appear to be local or travelers, any significance in their attire or mannerisms?)  (compared to other places we may have been in, does it appear to be busier than we might expect or less so, average?)
Earth
Earth
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Agreed. Also, we might need to ask for lodgings and for jobs, if any.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Earth
yes, should the opportunity present itself we should take advantage of any lucrative offerings.  though until we can better access our surroundings we should not attempt to not draw attention to ourselves.  Let's try to fit in and not stand out.
(whoever has the highest charisma I guess will speak for the group?)
Earth
Earth
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
I believe thats me.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@secularmerlin
@Buddamoose
@Earth
@TheDredPriateRoberts
The tavern is smaller than average, and does not appear to be well kept. The road leading past the tavern quickly deteriorates as it continues west toward the forest at the base of the mountain, making this effectively a dead end; not a particularly lucrative spot for an inn.

Regardless, there do appear to be a number of patrons, about a dozen or so. Their disheveled state indicates that they likely chose this place simply to get out of the encroaching fog spilling down the sides of the mountain, oozing into the nearby villages. Not many appear to be eating or drinking, instead huddling together by the hearth where space allows, and by each other where space does not.

A haggard looking barkeep fills the orders of the few who request a drink.  As you observe, you notice there is basically one thing on the menu: a rather nondescript ale, none too appetizing by the looks of those that bother to drink it.

The overall atmosphere is one of damp dreariness. Everyone is dressed in the local fashion: dull greys and browns,  nothing too flamboyant. More than the look, everyone has the same miserable expression in their eyes, not that any raise theirs to meet yours.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
I choose a table for us... decisively. 
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@secularmerlin
@Buddamoose
@Earth
@drafterman
perhaps the "good stuff" is in the back.  should we consider buying everyone a round and or anything else that might lighten the mood, happy people are talkative people.

I should like to inquire where some of these folks are from and going to.  What about the mountain, are there mines in it.  Is it used for anything, anything out of the ordinary about it?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
Smile! I shout and then laugh uproariously. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
I turn to Roberts. That should lighten the mood. Your welcome.