A classic: From creator god ==> Specific God

Author: ludofl3x

Total: 1,007
PGA2.0
Debates: 7
PGA2.0
-->
@keithprosser
I think that description could apply to every age!

I agree, and they are very general compared to the biblical prophecy which actually deals with specific people, specific age in which the Messiah would come (the Anointed One, the Deliverer the Sent One), a specific city and temple.

3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
I agree - accurate foretellings of the future would undermine a major objection to theism.
What major objection?

Accurate foretellings of the future are made every single day by scientists, and yet not all foretellings are accurate.

This track record does not "prove" science is reliable and predictions should still be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Let's apply this same reasoning to religion.

Accurate foretellings of the future are made every single day by holy prophets and spiritualists and ancient books, and yet not all foretellings are accurate.

This track record does not "prove" holy prophets and spiritualists and ancient books are reliable and predictions should still be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

As another example, a highly credentialed economist proves that they "predicted the housing crisis" by citing published articles written before the market collapse.

Does this mean that this particular economist is more reliable than their colleagues?  Does this mean that this particular economist never makes mistakes?

Of course not.  An accurate prediction in isolation proves nothing but blind luck.  A reliable pattern of predictions, like those of a meteorologist lend greater credence to their claims of reliability.  Out of 1000 predictions, how many were dead-accurate and how many were "close-calls" and more importantly HOW MANY WERE PRACTICAL AND ACTIONABLE?

This Daniel prediction is neither practical nor actionable and amounts to pure trivia.

Astrophysicists can predict how far away the moon will be from the earth in 100,000 years.  Who cares?  This is neither practical nor actionable.
disgusted
Debates: 0
disgusted
-->
@PGA2.0

This prophecy is very specific
It is, who are the armies (plural) mentioned in this very specific "prophesy" hahahahahah

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@PGA2.0
Now, take a look at a biblical prophecy and the specifics of it:
Like where it says '70 weeks' you mean?

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@3RU7AL
My view i that mot of the 'prophecies' in the bible were never intended to be mystical fotune telling.  OT prophet had a role closer to that of a medium, or spokeman for god.  They passed on messages from god that related to the issues of the day - nobody would be interested in what might happen 200 or a thouand years ahead.   Fortune telling was sorcery and strongly disapproved of in judaism.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@PGA2.0
The Kalacakra tantra prophesies that when the world declines into war and greed, and all is lost, the 25th Kalki king will emerge from Shambhala with a huge army to vanquish "Dark Forces" and usher in a worldwide Golden Age. Using calculations from the Kalachakra Tantra, Alex Berzin puts this date at 2424. [LINK]

Guess who's going to be laughing in approximately 404 years!!!!!!!
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@PGA2.0
Luke 21:20-2420 “But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then recognize that her desolation is near.
Generally, when you are surrounded by unspecified armies, you are in a heap of trouble.  This is more "common sense" than "prophecy".

21 Then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains, and those who are in the midst of the city must leave, and those who are in the country must not enter the city;
Mountains are almost always a safe bet in wartime.  Flee the city and stay away from the city.  This is more "common sense" than "prophecy".

22 because these are days of vengeance, so that all things which are written will be fulfilled.
Did you just pretend to predict "war"?  War will happen and it's not going to be fun!!!!

23 Woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days; for there will be great distress upon the land and wrath to this people; 24 and they will fall by the edge of the sword, and will be led captive into all the nations; and Jerusalem will be trampled under foot by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.
People will be distressed and people will die.  This is more "common sense" than "prophecy".

This prophecy is very specific.
No it isn't.

It names a historical city and specific people (the pronouns "you" and "your" plus "they" and "those" applies to the disciples and the Jewish people under the Mosaic Covenant during the 1st-century), a specific region(Judea)  and a specific time frame (when Jerusalem is surrounded by armies once again) and things that do not apply to us today (they will fall by the edge of the sword).
What time frame are you talking about?  This is more "common sense" than "prophecy".

The sword is not used in modern warfare today. Not only this, everything written would incorporate the OT scriptures and quite possibly some NT scriptures (what was written at the time of this author writing - i.e., the OT).
I'm pretty sure people still get beheaded and sliced into quarters with machetes even today.  This is more "common sense" than "prophecy".

The same can be said of Daniel 9:24-27. It is a very specific prophecy concerning very specific people (Daniel's people who are in a covenant relationship with God) plus a very specific time frame in which specific events will happen.
Even if this stuff is 100% accurate, it does not prove the "YHWH" had anything to do with it.

Don't you believe other nations were able to reasonably predict which cities and towns were most likely to be attacked by enemies?

These predictions are not rocket science.  This is basic military strategy.
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@3RU7AL
Establish the reasonableness for Vishnu as creator and sustainer of the universe from your scriptural sources that I may discuss the reasonableness of your claims. 
Vishnu is merely an aspect of Brahman.

Brahman, in the Upanishads (Indian sacred writings), the supreme existence or absolute reality. The etymology of the word, which is derived from Sanskrit, is uncertain. Though a variety of views are expressed in the Upanishads, they concur in the definition of brahman as eternal, conscious, irreducible, infinite, omnipresent, and the spiritual core of the universe of finiteness and change. Marked differences in interpretation of brahman characterize the various schools of Vedanta, the system of Hindu philosophy based on the writings of the Upanishads.

According to the Advaita (Nondualist) school of Vedanta, brahman is categorically different from anything phenomenal, and human perceptions of differentiation are illusively projected on this reality. The Bhedabheda (Dualist-Nondualist) school maintains that brahman is nondifferent from the world, which is its product, but different in that phenomenality imposes certain adventitious conditions (upadhis) on brahman. The Vishishtadvaita (Qualified Nondualist) school maintains that a relation exists between brahman and the world of soul and matter that is comparable to the relation between soul and body; the school identifies brahman with a personal god, Brahma, who is both transcendent and immanent. The Dvaita (Dualist) school refuses to accept the identity of brahman and world, maintaining the ontological separateness of the supreme, which it also identifies with a personal god[LINK]

I am no expert, nor am I familiar today with Hinduism, it is not a religion I have studied or looked into in decades. I looked into and read about it while I was in my teens. Having said that, even in your quotes, I find contradictions here regarding the different schools of belief (the underlined). I also understand there is a contradiction in how the two religions are understood by others. The two religions make different claims. Some have identified and summarized them in the two links provided:

The question comes up on is Brahman personal or impersonal? Can you provide passages that speak of Brahman as personal or is Brahman pantheistic - everything and in everything?

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@PGA2.0
The question comes up on is Brahman personal or impersonal? Can you provide passages that speak of Brahman as personal or is Brahman pantheistic - everything and in everything?
Why would anything pertaining to Brahman being personal or pantheistic have any bearing on if it were real / the creator of the universe?

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@keithprosser
Logically, if X (biblical God) is true, then X does not equal Vishnu.
Obviously a hitherto unknown and obscure version of logic and notation...
How is that?

Law of Identity --> X = X.

X has specific characteristics.
A dog has specific characteristics that make up its nature - what it is.

They are not in conflict.

Thus Yahweh does not equate to Vishnu, nor Brahman. 

I think the idea is that if something is the biblical god then it isn't vishnu.
True. They are described differently. They do not have the same attributes and are conflicted by the writings of both. Logically, two conflicting accounts cannot both be true. 

Maybe god appeared to the Jews as yhwh and to the Indians as vishnu.

With two conflicting accounts of Himself?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@PGA2.0
Do you mean like this? [LINK]

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@3RU7AL
What are the earliest extant writings regarding Vishnu and how do they guard against corruption? 

I.e., when is the earliest source available? How many copies of that source, or do you claim it is the original revelation from Vishnu? 
The Vedas – these texts date back to about 800 BCE. 
So, you are saying you have original or original manuscripts from that period and that these writings are not the writings of human beings but are written by Brahman and are eternal per the underlined below?

What do you base this belief on regarding them written by Brahman?

They originate from ancient India. The Vedas are the oldest Hindu texts and even the oldest texts in Sanskrit Literature. These sacred texts are very important for followers of Hinduism. The Hindus consider The Vedas “apaurusheya”. Which means “not of a man” or not of human origin. These texts also have no authors. Hindus believing that these texts are eternal. And they were created nor by human neither by gods. Although, The Mahabharata describes The Vedas to be created by Brahma.

There are 4 Vedas, each containing specific types of texts: Rigveda, Yajurveda, Samaveda and Atharvaveda.

The Upanishads – they are an important collection of ancient Hindu texts. Also, they contain fundamental philosophical concepts of Hinduism. This collection is often called Vedanta. Which can be translated in many ways. But basically describing the fact that the Upanishads are part of the Vedas. And it explains the Vedas.

The Upanishads are mostly philosophical texts describing and defining Hindu religious concepts. Therefore, concepts such as Brahman and Atman represent the central ideas of these texts. Some parts of the collection are believed to date back to about 600 BCE. [LINK]
If the text is eternal, why is 800, 600, and 260 BCE the first records we have of such texts? 

Again, are you saying that the texts are the original from Brahman?

The earliest extant reference to Brahmanism appears to be the Major Rock Edicts from about 260 BCE. [LINK]

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@3RU7AL
Do you mean like this? [LINK]
No, I don't even understand the point. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@PGA2.0
The Dead Sea Scrolls have been dated in a variety of ways, including radiocarbon and by linguistics experts. Most tests agree that they were written at different times between 150 BCE and 70 BCE. [LINK]

Don't you think it's a little strange that parts of the gospels and the story of the messiah were written down before the Jesus was born?

Nevertheless, there are some similarities between the two groups and their writings, which make for interesting comparisons. For example, a list of miracles appears in both Luke 7:21–22 of the New Testament and the Dead Sea Scroll known as the Messianic Apocalypse (4Q521). In Luke 7, Jesus gives these miracles to the disciples of John the Baptist as proof that he is the messiah. In the Messianic Apocalypse, which was written approximately 150 years before Luke’s Gospel, the Lord is the one who will perform these miracles. The source for both of these lists is Isaiah chapters 35 and 61. While not all of the same miracles appear in Luke 7 and the Messianic Apocalypse, the miracles that do appear in both are listed in the same order.  [LINK]
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@keithprosser
Accurate predictions are one confirmation the belief is reasonable. The more accurate and detailed predictions there are the better. 
I agree - accurate foretellings of the future would undermine a major objection to theism.  They wouldn't prove all the minutiae of a religion were correct but they would show that the supernatural has to be taken seriously.

But I don't accept there are supernaturally accurate foretellings in the Bible!  

Is that a reasonable hypothesis? 

How intensely have you looked into biblical prophecy?
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@disgusted
Regarding prophecy, did the OT predict another building and destruction of Jerusalem and the end of the Jewish system of worship before it happened (i.e., Daniel 9:24-27 as one such passage)? Is that reasonable to believe? If you think not then provide evidence as to why. 
This is your quote. 
Below are those passages.

24 Seventy weeks are decreed upon thy people and upon thy holy city, [j]to finish [k]transgression, and [l]to make an end of sins, and to [m]make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up vision and [n]prophecy, and to anoint [o]the most holy. 25 Know therefore and discern, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto [p]the anointed one, the prince, shall be [q]seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: it shall be built again, with street and moat, even in troublous times. 26 And after the threescore and two weeks shall the anointed one be cut off, and [r]shall have nothing: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and even unto the end shall be war; desolations are determined. 27 And he shall make a firm covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the [s]oblation to cease; and [t]upon the wing of abominations shall come one that maketh desolate; and even unto the full end, and that determined, shall wrath be poured out upon the desolate.
Show me where in the prophesy you quote, Daniel 9:24-27, 490yrs is mentioned.
I have already been through all this with you in previous posts and I'm not going to flog a dead horse. 
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@PGA2.0

Is that wrong?  I'm not really sure about the rules. 

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@keithprosser

I get where you are coming from, but I don't mind cutting pga a bit of slack on interpreting week as '7 years' if only to give him a fighting chance!  

I think the evidence is good that Daniel is 'fake-prophecy' and it's more interesting to winkle out what the writer was really trying to do with the text.

And what is this evidence? We know that Daniel and other OT Scripture was written before the 1st-century. 

Do you want to counter other texts that speak of the Messiah and the destruction of Jerusalem also?
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@PGA2.0
Is that a reasonable hypothesis? 
How intensely have you looked into biblical prophecy?
I would say 'Sufficiently'.  But we could examine one or two.  I know here are dozens but dealing with long lists in forum post forum format doesn't work because answers are alway harder and longer than questions.  I'm not getting involved if its a gish gallop.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@PGA2.0
We know that Daniel and other OT Scripture was written before the 1st-century.
Yes, we do.  Which mean it could be read in the first century and bits copied out to make it look like prophecy.

Isaiah 7 has nothing to with the birth of jesus 600 years afterward but Matthew used it to make it appear that jesus was not only born of a virgin but it was foretold - ooh!

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@PGA2.0
Is that wrong?  I'm not really sure about the rules.  
If conflicting reports discredit each other, then please explain,

Matthew 2:1-23 tells us that Mary and Joseph lived in a house in Bethlehem where Mary gave birth to Jesus and the couple received the magi. Later, the family fled to Egypt and after Herod’s death returned to Judea and settled in Nazareth. But according to Luke 2:1-7, Joseph and Mary already lived in Nazareth. They went to Bethlehem to enroll in a census, and Jesus was born there in a manger. The family later returned to Nazareth without making any trip to Egypt. [LINK]

And why would Matthew mention Herod’s slaughter of the innocents and Luke skip it altogether?

And why would Matthew say Magi visited the baby Jesus and Luke says it was shepherds? [LINK]

And why would Luke mention a census, but Matthew leave that out?

And, how do you "follow a star"?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@PGA2.0
No, I don't even understand the point. 
Imagine an ocean liner.  A child is playing on some deck chairs and falls overboard.

Ten people see this happen and a rescue team is deployed immediately.

When the child is returned safely, one of the witnesses shouts out, "I prayed to Ahura Mazda to safely rescue the child, and since the child is unharmed, that is proof that Ahura Mazda heard my prayer!!!"

Each of the remaining nine witnesses all prayed to a different god and they all believed that the rescued child was proof of their gods existence.

So which god is the real god?
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@ludofl3x
The Bible, throughout, claims to be His word, His revelation, His interaction with humanity so what is said should conform to what we discover from history and it should be philosophical reasonable and logical

Right, my point exactly! The claim cannot be evidence. It has to be the claim. Being accused of something is not evidence for whatever you're accused of.
The testimony of the Bible is disputed between you and me so you look upon it as a claim. 

If what the claims said is confirmed by historical evidence, such as the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple yet once again, that would be evidence that confirms and verifies the claim. 

The question is can you prove that the creator of the universe is in fact your god. 
Again, it revolves around what would you consider proof? The evidence is most reasonable but even facts can be disputed. 
So no, you cannot prove it this way. 
Was Jerusalem destroyed by the Romans in AD 70? Yes or no?

Can you prove that OT writings such as Daniel were written after the fact, after the destruction? Yes or no?

If you can't, then what is the most reasonable explanation? Since you deny the biblical God you MUST and are committed to looking for your explanations elsewhere. 

My evidence would be in the logic of if the biblical God is real then Zeus is unreasonable, as simple as that. The Laws of 
Logic state that two contrary things cannot both be valid at the same time and in the same manner. If God is the biblical God then He is not Zeus. So all I have to do is show the biblical God is reasonable to believe and Zeus is not. 
No, you'd have to show that the bible god is real, and Zeus isn't, or the bible god is reasonable and Zeus isn't.
And I point to prophesy to do this, both OT and NT prophecy. 

Show me that the prophecies are not reasonable or logically consistent (i.e., there is reasonable and logical proof both OT and NT accounts were written or adjusted after the fact, the fact being the destruction of the temple and city in AD 70, thus not fulfilled via history).

Don't conflate reasonable with real. You're starting from a position of "it's reasonable to assume there's something that created the universe" which I grant. You do not and have not, now in ten pages, made any advance towards 'and here's why it's the same character this one book claims it is.'
If something is not reasonable then why would it be believable? You are starting from the position that it is unreasonable to believe the biblical accounts, the prophecies. So what is your evidence for this being the case? 

Is it real that Jerusalem was destroyed in AD 70? 

Is it real that the Dead Sea Scrolls contain many biblical writings that date back before the 1st-century? 

I continue to wait, but you continue to point to the claim (The bible says he's real, it's his word, it claims to be his revelation) as the evidence. I've even offered you a way out of using your god or the bible: demonstrate any other deity conclusively false, without referencing your faith to do so. Their falsity should not be dependent on your faith at all, it's either true or it isn't, right? In other words, if Roman pantheism is false, it doesn't make Christianity true, they are independent of each other. 
And I referred to prophesy as just one line of evidence that confirms it is reasonable to believe what the Bible teaches in this respect. Biblical prophecy is a very detailed account of things that would happen in the future. Countless biblical prophecy deals with the coming of a Messiah and the blessings and curses of Deuteronomy 28 for obedience and disobedience. Part of that disobedience is exactly what happened in AD 70. Both the Messianic and city and temple prophecies deal with a Mosaic Covenant people that no longer exist in covenant after AD 70. So, a vast amount of prophecy is God's warning of this coming judgment (via the prophets) and also a looking forward to the Messianic kingdom. 

It is the most reasonable outcome.
Great! Now please show the following work: from creator of the universe, to the god of the bible being the most reasonably responsible party. Don't use the bible because that's the claim not the evidence. 

Why would I not use the Bible and instead go with your particular bias and worldview slant???

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@PGA2.0
Why would I not use the Bible and instead go with your particular bias and worldview slant???
As a thought experiment.

Step one, (IFF) I start with the assumption that A is true (THEN) do the apologetics for belief A seem adequate and reasonable?

Step two, (IFF) I start with the assumption that B is true (THEN) do the apologetics for belief B seem adequate and reasonable?

Step three, (IFF) I start with the assumption that C is true (THEN) do the apologetics for belief C seem adequate and reasonable?

The answer is yes.
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@ludofl3x
I find you guys never engage in the proofs Christianity offers. 
In the same way that you don't accept "proofs" from other religions.
Convince me they are reasonable. 

Loathe as I am to give any oxygen to this distraction...

I feel like the most reasonable supernatural explanation would have to be a pantheistic version. For example, Roman gods are reasonable because they seem to have "departments," areas of expertise (eventually this would be co-opted by CHristianity in the form of saints). They don't really care too much about humans and what they do (which makes sense, I mean how much time do you spend worrying if ants or frogs are treating each other fairly?). Humans are really afterthoughts that are often collaterally affected by the disputes these gods have with each other. Under the pantheon model, if your husband's boat is sunk at sea in a terrible storm, it's not because part of some plan put your otherwise innocent husband on a boat with a guy a monotheistic god was really mad at and had to kill all on board to get him. It's simply that Jupiter, the god of thunder and lightning and storms or whatever, and Neptune, the god of the sea, were having it out and you were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Oh, a fine lady caught your eye that isn't your wife and you two want to fuck for fun? Sounds like the influence of Eros or Aphrodite is in the air, and you're just caught in the crossfire! Better decide if it's them or one of the trickster gods like Pan the half goat, who often lured folks into bad situations like that only to reveal it to the wife or husband later. Trickster gods, mischief gods, gods for all manner of natural phenomena, none of them omnipotent or ominscient but with their own agendas, never really concerned with humanity in general, that helps explain things like "problem of evil," or why morality is so different from one person to another, with much more reason than "Well, your son's leukemia is something you should be thankful to Jesus for because he planned it." 

Reasonable? Do you think contradictory gods are reasonable to believe for the cause of evil over God providing humanity the consequences of judgment from sinful actions?

And what is the evidence that these gods really exist? They call it Roman and Greek mythology. What evidence is there that gives credibility to their existence since you do not even believe in them?
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@PGA2.0
@3RU7AL
Long way to say no. You don't have to use my worldview, whatever that means, to prove that any other religion is wrong, do you? You can certainly do that without the bible. 

To be clear, I don't start that it's unreasonable to believe anything. I start with "What reason do I have to believe XYZ." I don't view the bible or anything in it differently than you view any other religious text. But here's your other problem: even if the prophecy in the bible was accurate (and it isn't, 70 weeks does not equal 70 years, it only equals 70 weeks), it's contained in a book with many, many other inaccuracies and falsehoods. Light before stars, for one. And it doesn't get better. Talking animals. A boat big enough for 2 of every animal to be on it (well, not YOU, unicorns!). Contradictions in the new testament. EVEN IF your prophecy was 100% accurate, it would be difficult to then explain why everything else is so INaccurate. 

I've given my view on the rather unimpressive prophecy of the temple you've laid out. Not impressive, not specific, not actionable, too open ended, requires weird exegetics and extra-biblical sources to somehow almost work. 

If something is not reasonable then why would it be believable?
I'm granting you that it's reasonable that the universe was created by a thinking agent. I am asking that you show that agent to be god. Your argument so far is "the bible says it is, so it is." My counter is well tons of other religions and THEIR texts and traditions say it isn't. Why are they wrong? Your argument: "bible says they are. Also it said the temple would be destroyed!!! But was inexact about the date but still, it was eventually destroyed, because that's what Romans did to everything everywhere they occupied...except THIS time it was because god was involved somehow." It's not an answer to the question. Acknowledging that perhaps you cannot lead to your god from 'creator of the universe' without leaning on the bible, I've offered the alternative. Prove another religion wrong without using the bible. You've declined and said, yet again, "The bible says they're wrong, and you won't let me say that." Their books say YOU'RE wrong. Which is correct? Leave aside for now that the jewish prophecies are so convincingly fulfilled that jewish people don't believe they were. 

@3rutal, nice example!
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@disgusted
What historical facts in relation to prophecy are you speaking of?

Any historical facts that confirm the fulfillment of any prophesy.

The destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70 as one. The destruction of the Jewish OT economy in AD 70 as another. The predicted coming of the Jewish Messiah to a Mosaic Covenant people as another.  
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@PGA2.0
Reasonable? Do you think contradictory gods are reasonable to believe for the cause of evil over God providing humanity the consequences of judgment from sinful actions?

And what is the evidence that these gods really exist? They call it Roman and Greek mythology. What evidence is there that gives credibility to their existence since you do not even believe in them?

I think they make more sense, I laid out why, and they even have a better explanation for bad things happening, plus their lack of interest in human goings-on makes far more sense given their level of power. I don't get why you think they're contradictory though. Zeus and Mars don't contradict each other. THe evidence that Zeus exists is thunderbolts. The evidence that Mars exists is war and aggression. The evidence that Eros exists is human lust. The evidence that Neptune exists is tidal waves. Their lack of interaction with us directly is because simply, they have better things to do, they're gods. Once in a while a Zeus will come down and rape someone making a Perseus or a Hercules (not unlike how the holy spirit slams his chromosomes into some poor virgin hebrew girl, who could NOT have gotten pregnant by accident), but for the most part, they do their gods stuff and don't care about what we do. In fact it fits pretty well with how the world works, especially if you can ignore all the scientific evidence. Plus, on the whole as a people, Romans or Greeks or Egyptians were far smarter than Hebrews and contributed a lot more to history than they ever did, so isn't it reasonable to think they were also right about this?

See? 

Why, then, could not a team of gods have decided to create the universe rather than one god, who  then had a plan, which included getting so mad at his creation when they do what he knew they'd do in the first place when he created them?
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@ludofl3x

I get what gus is saying here: if you're going to use the biblical prophesy argument, you have to use ONLY the bible, or some biblically spelled out conversion chart for time periods that's IN the bible. Otherwise you are polluting the prophesy by using extrabiblical sources that potentially have a reason to want to have the prophesy work out just right.
Martin Anstey's chronology was based on the Bible chronology, as opposed to Ptolemy's which was based somewhat on astronomy. Philip Mauro documents the two chronologies, as does Martin Anstey under the two links below. The documented evidence from Anstey is reasonable and logical and shows the flaws of the Ptolemaic system.

"Bible Chronology. Prior to the publication of Martin Anstey's great work in 1913, all the existing systems of Bible Chronology were dependent, for the period of time embraced by the Seventy Weeks, upon sources of information outside the Bible, and which are, moreover, not only unsupported by proof, but are in conflict with the Scriptures. Anstey's system has the unique merit of being based on the Bible alone. Therefore it is capable of being verified by all Bible readers. But for the prophecy of the Seventy Weeks there is no need to resort to any system of chronology, seeing that the prophecy contains its own chronology. In fact the difficulties and confusion which have arisen in connection with this prophecy are due in large measure to the attempt to make it conform to an incorrect chronology."

The Chronology of this period has never yet been accurately determined. The received Chronology, though universally accepted, is dependent on the list of the Kings, and the number of years assigned to them in Ptolemy’s Canon. Ptolemy (AD 70–161) was a great constructive genius. He was the author of the Ptolemaic System of Astronomy. He was one of the founders of the Science of Geography. But in Chronology he was only a late compiler and contriver, not an original witness, and not a contemporary historian, for he lived in the 2nd Century after Christ. He is the only authority for the Chronology of this period. He is not corroborated. He is contradicted, both by the Persian National Traditions preserved in Firdusi, by the Jewish National Traditions preserved in the Sedar Olam, and by the writings of Josephus. It has always been held to be unsafe to differ from Ptolemy, and for this reason. His Canon, or List of Reigns, is the only thread by which the last year of Darius Hystaspes, BC 485, is connected with the first year of Alexander the Great...
[1] I don't see why an all powerful god wouldn't either correct the math or typo in the bible on its own. IF you're arguing for prophesy accurately in the bible, it seems like you give too much ground by saying "In this case, I'll allow some scholar 600 years from when this was supposed to be written originally inform why it was not in fact 70 weeks, but instead it MEANT to say 490 years." It's either in the book or it isn't. [2]You know, the book with talking animals and a worldwide flood that left no evidence after having covered the earth for 40 days (which maybe
 meant 280 weeks?) and pairs of every single species of creature on earth were stored together on a single boat for that long.
[1] To understand what the 70 "weeks" refer to you would have to understand what it meant in the context of the covenant to these people. 

1. God's response to Daniel's prayer was in the form of a revelation brought to him by the angel Gabriel, who stated, as the first item of information, that the seventy years of captivity were to be followed by a period of seventy sevens (of years). The word here rendered "weeks" is literally "sevens"; so there is no doubt that the period designated in this prophecy is seventy sevens of years- 490 years.

I documented in earlier posts that the Jewish idea of this same period mentioned in Daniel 9:24 as 490 years.  

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@ludofl3x

Besides, predicting that a Roman occupied city would have its temples destroyed is not exactly the wildest prediction of all time, especially if you leave it open ended. It's how they expanded their empire to cover as much of the world as it did for so long: destroy a culture and make it basically Roman. Their architecture is everywhere in the ancient world for a reason.

The very fact that it would be the Romans and not someone else who did this is significant. 

Daniel 2:
40-45 
40 Then there will be a fourth kingdom as strong as iron; inasmuch as iron crushes and shatters all things, so, like iron that breaks in pieces, it will crush and break all these in pieces. 41 In that you saw the feet and toes, partly of potter’s clay and partly of iron, it will be a divided kingdom; but it will have in it the toughness of iron, inasmuch as you saw the iron mixed with common clay. 42 As the toes of the feet were partly of iron and partly of pottery, so some of the kingdom will be strong and part of it will be brittle. 43 And in that you saw the iron mixed with common clay, they will combine with one another in the seed of men; but they will not adhere to one another, even as iron does not combine with pottery.
The Divine Kingdom
44 In the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom which will never be destroyed, and that kingdom will not be left for another people; it will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, but it will itself endure forever. 45 Inasmuch as you saw that a stone was cut out of the mountain without hands and that it crushed the iron, the bronze, the clay, the silver and the gold, the great God has made known to the king what will take place in the future; so the dream is true and its interpretation is trustworthy.”

Do you understand how these prophecies relate to Daniel's people, an OT, Mosaic Covenant people who were in captivity in Babylon?

You can count the major kingdoms or empires that occupied the world they knew at that time. You can count them down to the Roman kingdom (only four). Not only this, the prophecy is detailed (above) on the fourth kingdom and fits the Roman Empire. This can be reasonably documented and demonstrated. The Book of Revelation elaborates on the writings of Daniel and it verifies that what is spoken of related to Rome. 

Daniel 9:1-27 is concerning Daniel's people, a people in covenant relationship with God. Daniel makes this very plain in verses 1-26. The reason they are in exile is that they were disobedient to that covenant.