Mayday Mafia DP2

Author: AustinL0926

Read-only
Total: 317
AustinL0926
Debates: 33
AustinL0926
"It is over. It has happened." - Anonymous ATC, upon seeing El Al Flight 1862 disappear from radar. 4 on board and 39 on ground would be killed after the plane lost control and crashed into an apartment complex.
Welcome to Mayday Mafia! Have a safe flight!

Flips:

Lynched DP1:

Owen - Air France Flight 447 - Rolestopper-Inventor, Town

Deaths: 228 

Terminal outcome: In-flight stall condition leading to catastrophic collision 

Probable cause: Loss of airspeed due to pilot error in stall recovery procedure 

Summary: On June 1, 2009, Air France 447 took off from Rio de Janeiro to France. 

En route, it faced a heavy storm, which the pilots elected not to divert around – an accepted course of action, if not a recommended one. 

Heavy icing intefered with the aircraft’s pitot tubes, a type of instrument which measures airspeed; this caused false readings, making the autopilot disconnect. All this was still acceptable so long as the crew responded properly. 

However, the crew didn’t realize the autopilot had disconnected – as this happened, the airplane gradually lost airspeed until it no longer had enough forward momentum to generate lift and maintain level flight. 

It thus entered what is known as a “stall condition” - which can be easily recovered from by pushing the aircraft into a dive to gain airspeed, followed by leveling off again. The inexperienced co-pilot, Bonin, reacted incorrectly – by pulling the aircraft up, which actually lost airspeed. 

The aircraft descended at over 10,000 feet per minute from its cruise altitude of 36000 feet; Bonin continued pulling the stick up the entire time, preventing recovery, though he could have still done so at an altitude as low as 3000 feet. There were no survivors upon the inevitable collision. 

Role: 

Because of the first officer did something unimaginably dumb that is still taught as a case study in aviation textbooks today, you too get to pass on your wisdom to others in the form of stopping such an accident from happening again. Thus, you are a Rolestopper-Inventor. 

Each night, you may give someone a x1 Rolestopper. On subsequent nights, they may use that invention on anyone. The rolestopper prevents a targeted player from being affected by any actions for that night, lethal or non-lethal. 

Legacy: 

Today, stall recovery procedures are a core part of aviation training, and no similar accidents have occurred since. Nevertheless, it emphasizes that the biggest flaws in aviation safety are still pilots, not technology.  

Legacy role: 

Because of this increased focus on pilot training over technological rigor, after you die, you may choose to send a message of up to 200 characters to any person you gave an invention to. You will give this message to me and I will send it to them. 

Killed NP1:

Casey - ??? - ???, ???

---

Living Players:

1. whiteflame
2. Pie
3. Banana
4. Earth
5. Cerulean
6. Moozer
7. Luna

Deadline:

The DP ends 72 hours from the first player post in the thread.

Additional Information:

Casey may post today, but not vote. They will be flipped at the end of the day.
AustinL0926
AustinL0926
Falling. 

Falling. As it has been for minutes now. As we have been for minutes now. Or is it lifetimes? Lifetimes of fear and hope and all those things that it means for us to be human, experienced too late before splattering into the Pacific Ocean at 160 meters per second. 

The bright warning lights of the cockpit flash red-green-yellow-red-green-yellow, flash so brightly that they burst and burn as if they yearn to be released from the shackles of a doomed life. 

“Sink rate. Sink rate. Pull up. Terrain, terrain. Pull up.” The low, monotone, robotic voice is both irately condescending and a shrill, desperate scream for help. If I listen close enough, I can hear it crying. 

Blood rushes through my head, a consequence of pure adrenaline, and I feel the edges of my vision dimming, graying. Yet my hands are remarkably steady. Right now, there is nothing but me and the controls in front of me that hold the power to save 228 souls. 

It had started 190 seconds earlier. 192 now. When the plane had pitched up, soaring for the stars, only to come down to earth and start falling, falling, falling. The vaunted autopilot, the so-called “fly-by-wire" system, had abandoned us when we needed it most. 

I tried to push the plane down. To generate that desperate, needed speed to once again defy gravity, that defiance of man against all that is right and sensible, for that is what airplanes are. 

Yet it kept reaching for the sky, like each star was a lost dream. 

I glance at the altimeter. 5400, 5300, 5200, 5100. A shattered hourglass measuring out the seconds of my life. 

I snap myself out of my trance. Force myself to lean my entire weight on the control column, willing the plane to push down, down, down

“Remember, when recovering from a stall, you need sufficient altitude, otherwise you’ll crash into the ground before leveling off. Beyond 5000 feet you’re risking things, beyond 3000 feet is the point of no return.” My flight instructor’s words echo in my mind. 

The plane doesn’t budge. The altimeter ticks past 3000 with an almost banal finality. 

I lean back, an eerie calm taking over me. There’s something vaguely comforting in the lack of agency over my inevitable fate. 

I glance to my right, at my terrified copilot. 

And I see him pulling up.  

I realize what happened now. So simple, so stupid, the lives of so many snuffed out by a single man’s panic and forgetfulness.

I should be angry, furious even. But instead, I’m only...disappointed. I have so much more to do. So much more to see. 

“10 degrees pitch altitude.” 

A second passes. Then there is silence. 

AustinL0926
AustinL0926
-->
@Earth
@whiteflame
@ILikePie5
@Cerulean
@iamanabanana
Let this be a lesson that if you theme your game then add some nice flavor, eh?
AustinL0926
AustinL0926
-->
@Lunatic
@Moozer325
Mayday, mayday, mayday
AustinL0926
AustinL0926
-->
@Casey_Risk
You may post but not vote for today
Earth
Debates: 4
Earth
Is Casey dead or alive? What's stopping Casey from full claiming?
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
Well, to start, I definitely did not appreciate that Owen was hammered before I could return. He was also clearly the wrong choice, and frankly, at the very least, he should have been given the opportunity to use his role. Down one protective role I guess.

Good news: even though Casey was clearly Janitored, they can still post and we know their role: looks like they're a Tree Stump, since Casey can still post but not vote (basically Restless Spirit with opposite conditions). So waste of a Janitor.
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@Earth
If I'm right, apparently nothing. Casey can post the entirety of their role anytime. I suspect the Tree Stump is Casey's legacy role.
Earth
Earth
Why is Pie still alive?
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@Casey_Risk
Would like you to confirm as best you can.
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@Earth
Why is Pie still alive?
Any particular reason that you chose to ask this question?
Earth
Earth
-->
@whiteflame
Consider the following. If there were two scum on the wagon, and assuming Banana is Town, then that means Cerulean and Lunatic are scum. Now, naturally I would consider targeting Pie because he is the largest threat. 
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@Earth
Consider the following. If there were two scum on the wagon, and assuming Banana is Town, then that means Cerulean and Lunatic are scum. Now, naturally I would consider targeting Pie because he is the largest threat. 
a) We don't know how many scum were on the wagon. We got a piece of information. I checked with Austin and he would have given us info regardless, it was just a matter of how much. Considering how little we got (the existence of a scum JOAT), I'd say we were wrong about there being 2 scum on the lynch, but that's just my inference.

b) I don't really agree that Pie is just automatically the biggest threat on the table. I've personally often seen him that way, but that doesn't mean that scum will always choose him over other targets. That being said, I think it's worth inquiring about his role this DP.

Earth
Earth
-->
@whiteflame
I agree that there wasn't 2 scum on that lynch. I definitely think there is at least one and I will be knocking on  Cerulean's door today.
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@Earth
I can understand that given how doggedly Cerulean went after Owen, though in fairness, I don't think he'd do that as scum given that he'd know the flip would implicate him. I have greater reason for pursuing Luna's claim today, given the timing of his hammer (a short while before I said I'd come back) and the fact that he said beforehand that his only reason for sussing him was that there were three role prevention roles. He hedged a lot in his last post, saying that he saw him as town, but that he was the best of a set of bad options. Seemed like he was giving himself more space from the end result.
whiteflame
whiteflame
In any case, it's late and I'm going to bed. We'll pick this up tomorrow. 
Earth
Earth
-->
@whiteflame
Sleep tight WF
Moozer325
Debates: 19
Moozer325
Okay, right off the bat I’ll clarify what the heck was happening last DP. It struck me early on that Luantic was acting very weird, almost purposefully scummy. I thought about a possible Jester, but then I saw that the game was “a classic 2v7” and I took that to mean that there were no third parties.

The only option was that Lunatic was trying to draw the lynch on to him because he knew he had a really good legacy role. I’ll leave it to him to see if my prediction was right, but I’m about 90% sure about this one. I wish he has tried to draw the NK instead, but that was his call. 

I trusted him enough as an experienced player, so I went along with it. I figured that we we’re almost certainly going to get a mislynch DP1, and if we are already going to mislynch, it would still be nice to get a good legacy role out of that. 

In retrospect, I definitely pushed it too hard, but what’s done it done. Like with all of my screw-ups, you don’t have to agree with my reasoning, but I didn’t do it out of pure stupidity.
Casey_Risk
Debates: 3
Casey_Risk
They tried to hide my body... They failed... 

I am Malaysia Airlines flight 370. I am famous for the mysterious circumstances behind my disappearance. Mid-flight, I suddenly changed course for unknown reasons before disappearing forever. Because the only hard evidence behind any of the theories of my disappearance is tracking the flight route, I was an Advanced Motion Detector. Each night, I could use one of the following abilities: Motion Detector, Reporter, and Inspector. Reporter lets me see if someone acted, but not who they acted on. Inspector let me see if someone was acted on, but not who did it.

Last night, I decided to Inspect Pie and saw that he was acted on. Glad he wasn't killed, or my role would have totally gone to waste. Although I guess it could have told me that there is a ninja in the game if I saw no one visit him. Given the existence of my role, Ninja is a real possibility, so keep that in mind. 
Earth
Earth
-->
@Casey_Risk
What's your legacy role?
Casey_Risk
Casey_Risk
-->
@Earth
What's your legacy role?
I'll reveal that in a bit.
Lunatic
Lunatic
Whiteflame. Bull sh1t. Bull absolute fucking bull sh1t. You were there IMMEDIATELY to answer how many scum were on the wagon. You don’t just let the day phase go on til 1 hour remaining and not vote. You avoiding voting was extremely obvious because you didn’t want to be implicated by the lynch. It’s even more obvious in pies case who was on all day and never lets the phase go on with a no lunch. Even if he thought Owen was town he would have voted for him. His avoidance of the lynch obviously implicates him and you I guarantee has the time to post. If not then it was your fault for waiting for so long to post. But an hour of the day phase left who else were we going to lynch anyway? I don’t buy in the slightest that both of you just “missed” that lynch and convienently voted two scum on the wagon to sabotage whatever info Austin would give us. That is honestly sus as hell.

Down to lynch either Whiteflame or pie this day phase.

VTL Whiteflame though for the obvious bull shit “oh I couldn’t make it to vote in time ooooo”
Lunatic
Lunatic
Does no one else find Whiteflame and pies lack of participation on the vote yet voting 2 scum in the wagon super suspicious? Think about it. If they are scum and want to sabotage information town would get from wagon, that was exactly the play. You think Whiteflame would wait to vote until last minute in ajy other circumstance? What about pie? Definitely not pie. And if Whiteflame knew he would be on he would have voted in advance. Whiteflame is way to articulate to just convienently “miss” voting and play it off like that. If this doesn’t scream scum to you, you are blind.
Earth
Earth
Whiteflame thought there was two scum on the wagon btw 
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@Earth
That’s my point, voted two scum on the wagon when him and pie didn’t vote. And he was there immediately after the lunch happened and even closed the thread but is trying to play it off as if he didn’t have time. If you were scum and knew being on the lynch and people guessing you are in the lynch could implicate you, you wanna avoid the lynch since it works like a sensor. In what universe does either Whiteflame or pie miss a lynch? There was literally only an hour of the day phase left. And he was there immediately when it ended. And he votes two scum to screw with the results that would give town info. That’s exactly the play to make if you are scum. It’s more obvious for pie who was on all day and would literally never do this. Whiteflames just trying to make an excuse, but you know Whiteflame he would have voted early to avoid a potential no lynch rather than wait til 1hour is left in the day phase if he knew there was a chance he couldn’t get on. This should be so obvious he was avoiding the lynch because he thought people would select scum being on the lynch which would implicate him. So if both mafia aren’t on the lynch and both vote two it screws with towns chances of getting information from austin
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@Moozer325
The only option was that Lunatic was trying to draw the lynch on to him because he knew he had a really good legacy role. I’ll leave it to him to see if my prediction was right, but I’m about 90% sure about this one. I wish he has tried to draw the NK instead, but that was his call. 
Super wrong, you have tunnel vision, I’m ignoring your dumb ass the rest of the game.
iamanabanana
Debates: 1
iamanabanana
I roleblocked pie last night. I did say I would be roleblocking one of my scum reads.

BTW I also thought it was super weird how pie had avoided voting last day phase and chose 2 for his answer.
Casey_Risk
Casey_Risk
-->
@Lunatic
VTL Whiteflame though for the obvious bull shit “oh I couldn’t make it to vote in time ooooo”
Tbh I did also find that post where he answered a question after Owen got lynched to be pretty suspicious. It felt too showy, y'know? 
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@Casey_Risk
Tbh I did also find that post where he answered a question after Owen got lynched to be pretty suspicious. It felt too showy, y'know?
Whiteflame is too planned and coordinated to miss the lynch. I think he was planning on avoiding the lynch the whole time. He kept posting throughout the day little "I am catching up" posts to set it up to look like it was possible he would miss the lynch. This simply never happens with whiteflame. Again even if I am buying he was super busy on the last day phase, whiteflame would have prepared for this as town in advance by posting his final thoughts analysis, and vote ahead of time. He doesn't just "oopsie" let the day phase expire to an hour left and make it right after everything concludes. He was very aware the whole time. This argument works tenfold with pie who was literally there all day phase and never voted. 

Anyways, win or lose, I just want it known I called that whiteflame and pie were scum. I believe they can and probably will manipulate a good portion of town into thinking otherwise, but I called it at least, thats win enough for me. 
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@iamanabanana
BTW I also thought it was super weird how pie had avoided voting last day phase and chose 2 for his answer.
THANKYOU. I am glad I am not the only one with a strong bullshit radar around here.