Live debate watching thread

Author: Moozer325

Total: 124
Moozer325
Debates: 18
Moozer325
WyIted did this kind of thing for the last one, but since he’s not here anymore, I figured it might be fun for me to try it.

I’ll be watching most of it, but I might have to break in the middle for dinner. 

If anyone else wants to watch it live, you can use this thread to talk about it. I’ll try to post a few times throughout.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
Excuse me Hitler..."I'm Speaking!'
Best.Korea
Debates: 347
Best.Korea
Kamala is going to crush Trump so hard he will poop his diaper full. Yes, he wears a diaper.
Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@Best.Korea
And yet I can’t help feeling a foreboding sense of dread. We’ll see if it means anything soon.
Moozer325
Moozer325
Okay, first impressions, what is Trump looking at this whole time? Harris is looking into the camper when she speaks, but is think Trump is looking at the moderator for some reason. 

This just struck me as kinda odd for some reason.
Moozer325
Moozer325
Okay, he’s interrupted the moderator twice now. Going great!
Moozer325
Moozer325
Three times!
Moozer325
Moozer325
Four times
Moozer325
Moozer325
aaaaand there’s 6 and 7. 

Another noticing, he has redirected about half of the prompts he got to the border issue, even if they have nothing to do with it. I expected this to a degree, but at this point it’s getting a bit ridiculous.
Owen_T
Debates: 28
Owen_T
Trump cannot stop lying!! 
Owen_T
Debates: 28
Owen_T
-->
@Moozer325
Who do you think is winning? 

Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@Owen_T
I think Kamala said it best with her line, “same old tired playbook”. There’s no new info in there, and we’ve all heard his pitch. His job was to paint Harris as the San Francisco radical, and he failed at that by defaulting to his old habits. Kamala came off looking much better and much more mature. This debate was a referendum on her, not Trump, but his ego can’t take that.

Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
As someone who will vote for Trump in November, VP Harris was tonight's clear winner. She was more articulate than the average Republican expected (basically a repeat of the first 2020 debate in this respect, when Republicans bought into their own propaganda about Biden already being senile at that point, and ate crow when he did fine), and she convincingly feigned such emotions as moral outrage. She lied as boldly as Trump and at this point I think there's no going back. A new trend has been set; blatant liars will be the winners of all our presidential elections for the foreseeable future.

Trump, on his part, was his usual self for most of it but visibly "glitched" at a few points, such as when asked about his questioning of VP Harris's race. The point about illegal immigrants eating pets was ridiculous and will probably become a meme. He had a chance to clarify why Republicans rejected the recent border deal (5,000 illegal crossings a day before Biden was required to take any action was a dealbreaker), but he got sidetracked and let Dems continue to shape the narrative, undermining his credibility on this issue. He was trailing VP Harris before this, or at best they were roughly tied, so what he desperately needed was a good showing tonight. He failed to deliver, and I can only guess what the consequences of that are going to be.
Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@Swagnarok
She lied as boldly as Trump and at this point I think there's no going back.
I don’t doubt that she did bend the truth a little, but explain how it was more blatant that Trump?
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
-->
@Moozer325
Honestly, most of what she said is a blur. I just remember spotting lies at the time I was watching it. One was the "bloodbath" quote, which was obviously taken out of context. There were some ridiculously high numbers being floated but I don't remember what they are now.

(Sorry I can't be of help, but I have no intention of rewatching that cluster-eff of a "debate".)
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Moozer325
A Zedku for the above.

Donny or Kammy?

There will be two biases and others.

Relative to a four year period of media led entertainment.

Wherein, schoolboys will shoot their enemies

And no one will be able to do anything about it.

Constitutions and amendments, and all that.

There is always the Weather Channel.

If you want more flannel.

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Swagnarok
blatant liars will be the winners of all our presidential elections for the foreseeable future
Lying is a necessary part of elections, because people dont want the truth. People want great promises. People want illusions.

Imagine if someone told the truth: "I will increase debt even more, economy will barely grow, everything stays same.".

That person wouldnt even get selected to be a candidate, let alone get votes as president. Its about illusion.
badger
Debates: 0
badger
I was disappointed tbh. I get the "turn the page on name-calling and denigrating" angle. American politics has been a clown show since Trump stepped in it. But he's such an easy target and so easily triggered and so deserving of it. She could have given us one last show and dragged him across the stage kicking and screaming. Instead she was all heart and empathy and bright future and whatever. This pleading consoling sort of tone for the most of it. Swag thinks she did moral outrage well but he's a robot. She was way too tame. I dunno. I think she should have went in there and ripped his head off. Decapitated him on live television. Said how's that for your Taliban. All the heart stuff could come later.

Trump was highly entertaining as usual. 
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
Kamala certainly could have done better instead of dodging very important question at start. She gave Trump advantage.

But Trump failed in the long run. It kept getting worse for him on Ukraine, abortion, Palestine, conflicts, healthcare...
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
Also, Trump is just repeating same things as before. Nothing new to make it interesting. It was boring.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
My favorite part tho, is when Trump said migrants eat people's pets. Kamala looked at him and laughed.
Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@Swagnarok
That’s valid I guess. For what it’s worth, here’s a fact check done by Politifact. It has Trump lying about twice as much as Harris, but again, that doesn’t leave her blameless.

Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@badger
She could have given us one last show and dragged him across the stage kicking and screaming. Instead she was all heart and empathy and bright future and whatever. 
Yeah, especially considering that this debate didn’t matter at all. We are long past the time for persuasion, and the total number of undecided voters is essentially Zero.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Moozer325
Kamala definitely won the debate, but didn't score a win in the most important area: "defining herself"

She said repeatedly she was not Trump and not Biden (great, so Biden and Trump supporters are off the table)

What she should have done was to say exactly who she was even if it was a combination of Trump and Biden policies. While the moderators thought they were doing Kamala a favor by letting her dodge questions on her positions, it actually hurt her a lot since this is exactly what she needed to do to move the needle, basically giving people a reason to vote FOR her instead of AGAINST Trump. It was definitely a win, but she lost the key battle on defining herself and thus was a pyrrhic victory. This is why her staff desperately wants another debate.

Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@Greyparrot
I’d even add to that by saying that Trump should have been defining her too. The debate should have been about Kamala by all means, but Trump always wants it to be about him, and Kamala is still dodging the press as much as she can.
badger
badger
Like the Putin would eat you for lunch line was good. Should have been more of that. She should have done what women do best and emasculated him. He really is just such low-hanging fruit and they just left it there. Because otherwise he was plenty forceful and which is presidential and she's just there with her consoling pleading shite in a woman's soft voice. I mean, I dunno. I wouldn't even say she won tbh. She was a woman pleading to other women about abortion. That's all. Trump was his usual force of nature even if dumb as shit. I think that takes it.
ILikePie5
Debates: 3
ILikePie5
Well ABC is gonna be black listed now
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
I felt Trump was repetitive and basic. Harris, as a new candidate and first presidential debate for her, was more interesting to hear. Yeah, seems that Harris won but my impression is that both were even. I also felt that Trump struggled in this debate, it was different to that debate with Biden where he was very relaxed.

Either way, I think Trump is going to win the elections because the economic situation is unbearable. American's wallets are going to speak in the election's day no matter how good a candidate was in the debate.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Moozer325
Trump’s wrong on abortion claims
Trump: "But the governor before, he said, ‘The baby will be born, and we will decide what to do with the baby.’"
True, just keep reading.

Trump: "Millions and millions of people … are pouring into our country monthly. Where it's, I believe 21 million people."
False. 
Politfact has not way to fact check this, the fact that they purported to proves they are not reliable.

Trump: "Do you know that crime in Venezuela and crime in countries all over the world is way down. You know why? Because they've taken their criminals off the street, and they've given them to (Harris) to put into our country."
Pants on Fire!
There is no evidence that cou....
Politifact has no way to fact check this.

“Prove him wrong,” Taylor Hulsey, Nehl’s communications director responded.
PolitiFact did not find any evidence supporting the claim. …"
It's rumor mill just like the claim that Biden has repeatedly made about "suckers and losers"

Where are they to fact check that as "Pants on Fire"?

Trump: Referring to the lawsuits he and allies filed alleging irregularities in the 2020 presidential election that he lost, "No judge looked at it. … They said we didn’t have standing. A technicality."
False.
The lawsuits failed for different reasons. Some were dismissed for lacking standing, which means the judge ruled that the plaintiff didn’t have a stake. Others had errors in the filings. But in many cases, judges determined that the allegations lacked proof.
So it's false even though politifact admits some were dismissed on "standing"? How come it isn't "True" or "mostly true"?

My fact check:

Poltifact a legitimate fact checker.
FALSE

JoeBob
Debates: 3
JoeBob
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Trump: "Millions and millions of people … are pouring into our country monthly. Where it's, I believe 21 million people."
False. 
Politfact has not way to fact check this, the fact that they purported to proves they are not reliable.
How are they not able to fact check that?