Author: Owen_T

Total: 66
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@3RU7AL
the original word of god was not communicated in english

It wasn't communicated in Greek either. Which appears to be your approved language of choice when it come to the translation of scripture. Strange that.

And of course, like all believers that believe themselves to be knowledgeable concerning the translation on the bible you have fallen into you own  trap of consigning all bibles written in English to the rubbish bin..... without realising it. The Reverend Tradesecret made a habit of doing it.

Stating:  

There are those that I have met that believe the Bible to be clear and concise in its presentation and self evidently true and without any ambiguity whatsoever in the way it has come down to us. Until of course they are posed a few simple questions which usually arise not just frequently from the Bible but just as frequent from their own commentary, and when pressed on such it appears that these very same people will resort to the default that one must understand Greek or Hebrew to even begin to understand a Bible that is written in English! But by saying so they do not seem to understand that they have, in just a few words, rendered the Bible written in English redundant, pointless and unreliable as any kind of “witness” source to the life and times of the Christ.

So is there at all any point to reading, never mind studying the Bible written in English? A Bible that those who have said that is clear and concise but suddenly insist that the Bible is fathomable and understandable only when one is tutored, trained and learned in the ancient Greek or Hebrew languages?

was an eternal flaming hell created exclusively for the new testament ?

Define "an eternal flaming hell" for me.
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Mall
" It is God - perfect and beautiful using the sinful parts of humanity for God's glory. "

Just as the scripture says or teach, the use or through the foolishness of preaching.
I'm not entirely sure of your point here. 

Yet, the foolishness of preaching is God's determined means of bringing many to salvation. 
Mall
Debates: 379
Mall
-->
@Tradesecret
Maybe you were trying to make a different point. I'll leave it at that. I'll leave it alone.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Owen_T
This questions is mainly for use CatholicApologetics, though it would be great it anyone else wanted to contribute their opinion.

Grated, there is evidence for Christianity and the resurrection, but the Bible also has some pretty sexist things, as well as some messed up stuff about slavery, unbelievable stories about Noah's ark, and about the universe popping into existence, which has no scientific evidence, or how a loving god sends people to eternal suffering for being raised in a Muslim family. Not to mention all of the contradictions. 

These are the main things that lead me away from the church.

The question is, how much of the bible do you think is the actual word of god, and how much of it do you think is flawed by the workings of man? 
The Jews that wrote the Bible were the least civilized people at that time. They were behind the Egyptians, Babylonians, Romans, China, India. The Jews did not contribute to science or medicine. The Holocaust did not change their situation or the world.

DavidAZZ
DavidAZZ
-->
@Owen_T
The question is, how much of the bible do you think is the actual word of god, and how much of it do you think is flawed by the workings of man? 
I do believe the Bible is the word of God, but I also believe that it is not all what God is.  If it is flawed, it is because man's inability to describe or define what God was trying to do or say.  As for the message of the OT, it really was a history of the Jewish nation.  The NT, it had a message of salvation, history and teaching.

So, I don't think man's inability has skewed the message that God was trying to get to his creation.

Shila
Shila
-->
@Owen_T
The Bible was written before man developed a proper understanding of the universe or science. It was also written by people who received this as the inspired word of God without the foundational knowledge of the basics of life and morality and interpreted their understanding the best way they could. That is why it took God several generations of prophets to pass on his message which culminated in the sending of Jesus to fulfill Gods promises.