Every pro-lifer always, without fail, gets it wrong on abortion.

Author: TWS1405

Total: 313
TWS1405
Debates: 0
TWS1405
-->
@Novice_II
My general opinion on the topic is that if there were a good argument for abortion, I would probably have become pro choice by now. The entitlement of this should be self-explanatory given that I am pro life.  

Abortion reduces crime.

As such, abortion reduces the number of "human weeds" that need to be plucked from humanity/reality.

The current state of the world PROVES why "eugenics" works.  
Novice_II
Debates: 98
Novice_II
-->
@TWS1405
Abortion reduces crime
  • My view is that, I don't necessarily see how this would lead to the conclusion that abortion should be legal. I can grant this true or not, but killing all people with low IQ would reduce crime, and that does not seem to suggest this should be legal. 

TWS1405
TWS1405
-->
@Novice_II
-->@TWS1405
Abortion reduces crime
  • My view is that, I don't necessarily see how this would lead to the conclusion that abortion should be legal. I can grant this true or not, but killing all people with low IQ would reduce crime, and that does not seem to suggest this should be legal. 
The IQ issue is irrelevant.

Novice_II
Novice_II
-->
@TWS1405
Hmm, okay...

• You seemed to be making a modus ponens inference: "abortion reduces crime therefore abortion should be legal."
  • I am using your same inference, and applying it to other potential policies: "killing people with low IQ reduces crime therefore killing people with low IQ should be legal"
Can you explain why you would accept the first proposition, and seemingly disagree with the second one? 

Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
-->
@TWS1405
No one's life ceases to be any less or more of [a] life (physical existence) when sleeping
You do not have regular human experiences when sleeping. At most you dream, which is a diminished state of mind that occupies about 20% of your sleep cycle. And not everybody dreams either. And what about comatose patients who apparently do not dream?

So then, in a diminished state where you do not experience normal human cognition, is your right to life unaffected? You would seem to answer yes, while denying the same to fetuses and embryos, whose similar lack of experiencing normal human cognition is also temporary.

it is a necessity for good/balanced mental and physical health
So is fetal and embryonic development, including the stages of development predating the formation of the complete brain and in which said brain gradually proceeds toward said development.

A born human being is an actualized human being. Once actualized, that human being never becomes anything less than, that is, until death, naturally.
I say this distinction is arbitrary.

Every future second of your life is no less a potentiality than every future second of a fetus's life; the only thing actualized is the "present", which is as short as the shortest measurable or conceivable unit of time. As the present is constantly terminating in favor of a new present taking its place, killing somebody causes the termination of the present to happen no sooner than if their life were to continue. All that killing somebody does is to deny the replacement of a terminated present with a new present, which is to deny the transfer of potentiality into actuality, which is also what abortion does.

You seem to be arguing it's particularly important that actualized life will continue if not interfered with. But the same is true for the fetus or embryo in the womb. It will continue to develop in the womb and then be birthed if not interfered with.
If you try to draw another line based on the fact that a fetus or embryo requires external support to survive, then the same is true for many people: they have health conditions which rendition them dependent on modern medicine.
SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@sadolite
Why is it illegal to smash bald eagle eggs., but not rip apart a human fetus. Yet oddly legal to take all the chicken eggs we want and do what ever we want with them? Abortion is about the arbitrary establishment of when human rights begin not when human life begins. 
This isn't a very good analogy. First, there is no potential for competing rights between eagle embryos and the egg in which the reside. If we wanted to protect eagle embryos - which we do because bald eagles are endangered (unlike chickens) - we can make a simplistic law treating eggs as though they were de facto eagles.

On the other hand, a womb is not an extension of an unborn human. If anything, it is the other way around since the womb is part of a sentient, conscious, autonomous being with attached rights. Women should not be equated to mere incubation chambers (or eggshells). Also, I think it is a bit of projection to claim abortion is about when human rights begin. Abortion has everything to do with established rights, not establishing rights. Every person has the right to self-ownership and no person has the right to use the body of another without consent. If someone is arguing for exemptions to this, then they are advocating for special rights which would undermine rights altogether.
TWS1405
TWS1405
-->
@Novice_II
No “people” are being killed via abortion.  Duh. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@TWS1405
Living matter is being rendered lifeless via abortion.

Human in origin, though how we choose to label it further is a semantics issue rather than a moral issue.

How we choose to compare said matter with post-natal human beings varies.

As does how we choose to apply viability and importance during the process of pre-natal development.

And unfortunately, as does how we apply importance to fully developed humans and other living organisms.

Hence Hypocrisy and selective morality are rife.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@TWS1405
opinions everyone has THEM
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@TWS1405
The ONLY stage of gestational development where the fetus can be equates to that of [a] human being is the point of fetal viability.
So you’re pro choice?
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Novice_II
if there were a good argument for abortion, I would probably have become pro choice by now
No one is arguing for abortion, the argument is over whether a woman should have the right to her own body.

Why do you need someone to present to you a good argument for that?
Shila
Shila
-->
@TWS1405
-->
@Novice_II
My general opinion on the topic is that if there were a good argument for abortion, I would probably have become pro choice by now. The entitlement of this should be self-explanatory given that I am pro life. 
Legalized abortion and crime effect - Wikipedia

Abortion reduces crime.

As such, abortion reduces the number of "human weeds" that need to be plucked from humanity/reality.

The current state of the world PROVES why "eugenics" works
Note the study was conducted in white countries where crime rates were extremely high. Incidentally Abortion rates are also the highest in white countries. So much so that the same countries are now considering abortion itself a crime with new legislation banning abortion. This is done to reduce the crime of abortion. But eugenics ironically still remains the only solution to reduce crime in white countries.

“The effect of legalized abortion on crime (also the Donohue–Levitt hypothesis) is a controversial hypothesis about the reduction in crime in the decades following the legalization of abortion. Proponents argue that the availability of abortion resulted in fewer births of children at the highest risk of committing crime. The earliest research suggesting such an effect was a 1966 study in Sweden. In 2001, Steven Levitt of the University of Chicago and John Donohue of Yale University argued, citing their research and earlier studies, that children who are unwanted or whose parents cannot support them are likelier to become criminals. This idea was further popularized by its inclusion in the book Freakonomics, which Levitt co-wrote.”
TWS1405
TWS1405
-->
@zedvictor4
And? 

Every time a guy jerks off and ejaculates, “living matter is being rendered lifeless.”

Every time you bleed after being cut expelling skin tissue and blood, “living matter is being rendered lifeless.”

I can go on and on and on…

Human in origin, though how we choose to label it further is a semantics issue rather than a moral issue.
Every cell in the human organism is human in origin. It’s not semantics. It’s scientific fact. 

And each time will be a false equivalency fallacy. 

As does how we choose to apply viability and importance during the process of pre-natal development.
Nope. There is only one kind of relevant viability where a pregnancy is concerned, fetal viability. 

And unfortunately, as does how we apply importance to fully developed humans and other living organisms.
False equivalency fallacy 

Nope. Remove your logical fallacy problems and there is no hypocrisy or selective morality issue(s). 

TWS1405
TWS1405
-->
@Double_R
So you’re pro choice?
Up to fetal viability, yes. 

Shila
Shila
-->
@TWS1405
--> @zedvictor4
And? 

Every time a guy jerks off and ejaculates, “living matter is being rendered lifeless.”

Every time you bleed after being cut expelling skin tissue and blood, “living matter is being rendered lifeless.”

I can go on and on and on…

Every cell in the human organism is human in origin. It’s not semantics. It’s scientific fact. 

And each time will be a false equivalency fallacy. 

Nope. There is only one kind of relevant viability where a pregnancy is concerned, fetal viability. 

False equivalency fallacy 

Nope. Remove your logical fallacy problems and there is no hypocrisy or selective morality issue(s). 
Is that why you believe  eugenics works?

Abortion reduces crime.

The current state of the world PROVES why "eugenics" works. 

Novice_II
Novice_II
-->
@TWS1405
Okay, so, let me ask you two questions. 
  1. Do non-persons have rights and, 
  2. What are the criteria of traits that make one a person? 

Novice_II
Novice_II
-->
@Double_R
Well, people can use their body to do many things, such as committing rape, or jumping off a bridge etc. Anything logically possible. 
I am sure we can agree that people should be prevented from doing some things using their body, so I am just asking for the argument as to why abortion is not one of those things. It seems quite simple to me. 
Shila
Shila
--> @Double_R
Novice_II: Well, people can use their body to do many things, such as committing rape, or jumping off a bridge etc. Anything logically possible. 
I am sure we can agree that people should be prevented from doing some things using their body, so I am just asking for the argument as to why abortion is not one of those things. It seems quite simple to me. 
Your examples are about prevent people from using their bodies from committing rape, or jumping off a bridge etc. But Abortion is not doing things with your body, it is doing things to your body.

TWS1405
TWS1405
-->
@Novice_II
>@TWS1405
Okay, so, let me ask you two questions. 
  1. Do non-persons have rights and, 
  2. What are the criteria of traits that make one a person? 
1. Utterly irrelevant to this debate/discussion

2. Birth.
TWS1405
TWS1405
-->
@Novice_II
-->@Double_R
Well, people can use their body to do many things, such as committing rape, or jumping off a bridge etc. Anything logically possible. 
I am sure we can agree that people should be prevented from doing some things using their body, so I am just asking for the argument as to why abortion is not one of those things. It seems quite simple to me. 
Illogic and ignorance are often a simple thing to many.

Born people making autonomous choices to harm themselves and/or others who are also already born persons has absolutely nothing to do with the abortion debate/discussion. 
Novice_II
Novice_II
-->
@TWS1405
Okay, this is good, because now we can keep responding to these demarcations.

• I do not see how this is the case. You seem to have said that the difference between the previous 2 propositions was that one involved the killing of persons and one did not. I want clarification as to whether your normative ethical framework gives any form of right to non-persons. 
2.  Birth
  • Can you give the argument for that? 

TWS1405
TWS1405
-->
@Novice_II
-->@TWS1405
Okay, this is good, because now we can keep responding to these demarcations.

• I do not see how this is the case. You seem to have said that the difference between the previous 2 propositions was that one involved the killing of persons and one did not. I want clarification as to whether your normative ethical framework gives any form of right to non-persons. 
Abortion involves one person, the female, be it a girl or a woman who is [a] person. She has rights. The pregnancy does not have any rights, regardless of gestational stage.

I know where you are going with the nonsensical "form of rights to non-persons," and it is a both irrelevant and a red herring. 

2.  Birth
  • Can you give the argument for that? 
14th Amendment.
Novice_II
Novice_II
-->
@TWS1405
Okay...so lets see if we can go through some of the propositions here.
  • Prop 1: People have the ability to do anything that is logically possible with their body (includes rape/murder). 
  • Prop 2: People should be prevented from doing some things with their body. 
    • Would you say both of these propositions are true? If they are, my question becomes, what is the argument as to why abortion does not fall under the things we should prevent people from doing under prop 2. 

TWS1405
TWS1405
@TWS1405
Okay...so lets see if we can go through some of the propositions here.
  • Prop 1: People have the ability to do anything that is logically possible with their body (includes rape/murder). 
  • Prop 2: People should be prevented from doing some things with their body. 
    • Would you say both of these propositions are true? If they are, my question becomes, what is the argument as to why abortion does not fall under the things we should prevent people from doing under prop 2. 

Both are irrelevant to the abortion debate/discussion. As such, I will not entertain your attempt at a red herring to derail my thread. 
Shila
Shila
-->
@TWS1405

Born people making autonomous choices to harm themselves and/or others who are also already born persons has absolutely nothing to do with the abortion debate/discussion. 
Born people are the only ones than can engage in abortion debate/discussions.

TWS1405
TWS1405
-->
@Shila
For the record, each and every time you make a completely uneducated comment directed at me, I shall ignore it. 
I have neither the time nor patience to entertain your ignorance. 
Shila
Shila
-->
@TWS1405
--> @Shila
For the record, each and every time you make a completely uneducated comment directed at me, I shall ignore it. 
I have neither the time nor patience to entertain your ignorance

Born people are the only ones than can engage in abortion debate/discussions.

Novice_II
Novice_II
-->
@TWS1405
1. Abortion involves one person, the female, be it a girl or a woman who is [a] person. She has rights. The pregnancy does not have any rights, regardless of gestational stage.
I know where you are going with the nonsensical "form of rights to non-persons," and it is a both irrelevant and a red herring. 
  • I want to press here a little, because I am not sure why you won't answer this question. Here is its relevance: you stated, that an unborn at any stage of pregnancy has no rights because it is a non-person. So, I am curious. If you also argue that an unborn person has no rights. I assume that is (a) because they are non persons or (b) some other reason.
    • If a, this would commit your normative ethical view to asserting that no non-persons should have rights. 
    • If b, I would like an argument as to what determines whether a non-person has rights or not. 
2. 14th Amendment.
  • The 14th amendment does not seem to be an argument. It appears to necessitate using the negative inference fallacy as just because citizenship is given at birth, does not mean that unborns should not be given personhood. How about this, do you have a normative ethical argument for personhood beginning at birth? 

Novice_II
Novice_II
-->
@TWS1405
  • Well, that's fine if you just refuse to answer the question. At least we have a clear statement of this. Maybe I can make my own thread later and see if I can get these answers from someone else. 

Shila
Shila
Novice_II:
  • I want to press here a little, because I am not sure why you won't answer this question. Here is its relevance: you stated, that an unborn at any stage of pregnancy has no rights because it is a non-person. So, I am curious. If you also argue that an unborn person has no rights. I assume that is (a) because they are non persons or (b) some other reason. 
    • If a, this would commit your normative ethical view to asserting that no non-persons should have rights. 
    • If b, I would like an argument as to what determines whether a non-person has rights or not. 
An unborn fetus is not yet a person or a non-person. It cannot have rights because it is still unborn.