Total: 117
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@TheUnderdog
Integrating doesn't require additional cost.
expect or desire

you skipped over the expect or desire part
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheUnderdog
What if the expats living in the US learn English (most do)?  If they didn't know English, then understandable.  But about 50% of immigrants that move to America are fluent in English I think (Chat GPT), and their kids are especially more likely to be fluent in English.  There is a reason why we are a melting pot rather than a mosaic.
sure, but even spanish speaking people tend to gravitate to spanish speaking neighborhoods

it's much easier to relate to people who share traditions and culture

TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@3RU7AL
and the amenities that they either expect or desire for themselves or in particular, their families
You can get the same services whether you are a Haitian living in a Haitian Neighborhood or in Suburbia.

sure, but even spanish speaking people tend to gravitate to spanish speaking neighborhoods
If someone only knows Spanish and they are in the US, then they will live where there are a lot of Spanish speakers.

If someone is bilingual (English and Spanish), then they are more likely to live where there are other Spanish speakers, but they also might see white people as racist and not want to live in an area with few immigrants due to the fear of ICE coming to their door.  3rd generation Hispanics often lose this fear.

If immigrants wanted segregation, then America is the wrong place to move as ethnic neighborhoods are hard to find in the US.  We assimilate; we learn English with a Yankee accent (even down South as the South is developing a more Yankee accent than the other way around).
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheUnderdog
You can get the same services whether you are a Haitian living in a Haitian Neighborhood or in Suburbia.
there once was an immigrant family from france who moved to cincinnati

they specifically chose to move into a neighborhood

near a french bakery

where they happened to know another french family

i'm not sure this is a "bad idea"
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@3RU7AL
It’s not a bad idea, but it’s not like their neighborhood was 100% French.  They may know one other French person; but what made them pick Cincinnati and not Paris or Montreal?

They should be allowed to live wherever they want, but people have a strong tendency to integrate with other nationalities in the US.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheUnderdog
If immigrants wanted segregation, then America is the wrong place to move as ethnic neighborhoods are hard to find in the US.
word of the day

also

churches are extremely homogeneous

the average church is 90% homogeneous
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheUnderdog
but people have a strong tendency to integrate with other nationalities in the US.
schools are also becoming more homogeneous
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@3RU7AL
I suppose you have a fair point.  If you are black and only want to be around other black people, then why move to Africa when you can move to Gary, Indiana?

But if you are from Zimbabwe and are fluent in English, if you want to be around other black people, then why move to America?  Like every US city is less black than Zimbabwe.

I don't think this is true.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
Still don't get how Bitcoin value is calculated, if it has no comparative value.

So for example:

If I want to purchase an item valued at $1000.

But wish to purchase with Bitcoin.

How is the Bitcoin price calculated.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
How is the Bitcoin price calculated.
market value

just like gold

or a corporate stock certificate

or an exchange of foreign currency

or a lobster

or a bushel of wheat

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheUnderdog
I don't think this is true.

The U.S. student population is more diverse, but schools are still highly segregated [[LINK]]
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@3RU7AL
Are they becoming more or less segregated?  But there are instances of towns breaking up over ethnic differences.  They don't want to be viewed as racist by other people, but they break up from towns due to racial differences.

The love of diversity increases with one's distance from it.  I just don't care how white/non white the neighborhood I live in is.  I care more about cheap property that is within driving distance of my job.  If that's in Vermont, then fine.  If it's in East Hartford, then fine.  I don't care.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheUnderdog
The love of diversity increases with one's distance from it.  I just don't care how white/non white the neighborhood I live in is.  I care more about cheap property that is within driving distance of my job.  If that's in Vermont, then fine.  If it's in East Hartford, then fine.  I don't care.
sure, your personal preferences are not in dispute

we're talking about societal preferences
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@3RU7AL
Yeah; most people prefer to be with their own kind and may preach, "diversity is a strength" but if they live in Vermont and moved there from Brooklyn, then they don't mean what they said.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
Same as every currency then.

Therefore it must have a comparative value that is subject to fluctuation.

So for example,  if you wanted to buy something from me priced at £1000, and I demanded payment in pounds sterling, and you only had bitcoin.

How would that work?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
So for example,  if you wanted to buy something from me priced at £1000, and I demanded payment in pounds sterling, and you only had bitcoin.

How would that work?
just like if i owned corporate stock

i would sell the stock on an exchange

and give you the currency you personally preferred

or

if you accepted the stock

i would give you the stock

and you could exchange it at your leisure
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
I will only accept Pounds Sterling.

So via some exchange rate mechanism and/or another you would have to convert Bitcoin into Pounds Sterling.

One currency into another as it were.

How is the exchange rate calculated?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
How is the exchange rate calculated?
market rate

just like currency

just like gold

just like wheat

just like stock
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
Yep.

So Bitcoin is subject to all the same rules as any other currency?

Therefore, what is the current value of Bitcion in U.S. Dollars?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
So Bitcoin is subject to all the same rules as any other currency?
except for the fact that it cannot inflate and transactions cannot be blocked

Therefore, what is the current value of Bitcion in U.S. Dollars?
1 bitcoin = $67,910

ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
AI Meets BlockChain { Bitcoin }  2nd link below

.."-BlackRock's iShares Bitcoin Trust has become the world's largest fund for the world's largest cryptocurrency, racking up nearly $20 billion in total assets since listing in the U.S. in January, Bloomberg News reported on Wednesday.

The exchange-traded fund held $19.68 billion of token on Tuesday, overtaking Grayscale Bitcoin Trust's $19.65 billion, report said, citing data compiled by Bloomberg."...

..." As of May 8, 2024, Bitcoin (BTC) had a market capitalization of $1,226 trillion, making it the largest cryptocurrency. But the biggest Bitcoin holders and how much are they worth is worth looking at.

While cryptocurrency is celebrated for its decentralization, there are still “whales” – individuals or organizations that hold significant amounts of digital currency – in this vast ocean. These major players can have a substantial impact on the market."..

..." Blockchains, meanwhile, are still a bit behind on the speed and usability end of things, but they could be much better for privacy – without a central authority holding the keys to the kingdom. Plus, blockchains don’t have a single point of potential failure like those central servers. And once data goes on the blockchain, it becomes immutable – as in, it can’t be altered in any way.

So that’s what makes this intriguing. The Big Ideas 2024 report from Cathie Wood’s Ark Invest says convergence among disruptive technologies will define this decade – and that the convergence of blockchain and AI will be a part of that story. When I asked ChatGPT for its assessment, it said there’s a “high probability” that AI will run on a combination of central servers and decentralized blockchains in the future. "...
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ebuc
$19.65 billion is only 0.0016% of $1,226 trillion
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
@ebuc
And so, will the value of Bitcoin relative to the Dollar never increase or decrease?
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
And so, will the value of Bitcoin relative to the Dollar never increase or decrease?

I dunno the specifics of these economic values well enough to answer that, however, with Murphys Law, anything that can go wrong eventually will and that translates also too, anything that is possible to occur, will eventually occur.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
bitcoin will never inflate due to overprinting

bitcoin utility stands in stark contrast to the rampant and nearly arbitrary transaction blocking by paypal and credit card companies and state affiliated banks

bitcoin utility stands in stark contrast to the antiquated inaccurate and centralized accounting practices of the stock market

and of course, based on demand, values will naturally move up and values will move down

but if you look at a chart

there is a very clear uptrend

and if you look at an inflation adjusted chart for the value of USD there is a very clear downtrend
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@3RU7AL
@ebuc
Ok.

I'm just trying to understand the benefit of Bitcoin, other than it's novelty value.

Who or what controls Bitcoin?

Further:

If today I purchase 10 units of a commodity priced at $68 or one Bitcoin.

And tomorrow I purchase the same 10 units of a commodity, now valued $78.

What would the new price be in Bitcoin?

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
I'm just trying to understand the benefit of Bitcoin, other than it's novelty value.

transactions cannot be blocked

funds cannot be frozen or confiscated

bitcoin cannot inflate

Who or what controls Bitcoin?

every individual bitcoin holder controls their own bitcoin

it is fully decentralized

there is no "owner" or "corporation" that "calls the shots"