Quasi Dungeons and Dragons

Author: drafterman

Total: 4,160
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@drafterman
We were just traveling about and as luck would have it arrived in your fair town before the festival.  It sounds wonderful, do you know the history and origins of it?  Where do the entertainers come from and travel to when not here?  Are there certain acts or displays you'd recommend we not miss?
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
Rictavio: This is my first year here myself, so I cannot speak from experience. From what I understand, this town is rife with such festivals: one every few weeks, yes, Urwin? Well, a performer such as myself, I could not avoid such an opportunity (not to mention a steady line of work). Each festival is different, too! The last one was... what... the Wolf's Head Jamboree? From the descriptions I have heard, it involved lots of play acting the hunting of wolves, marching around with wolf heads on pikes. I think Szoldar and Yevgeni even gave a live skinning and carving demonstration (live in that they performed it before a live audience, not that the wolf was live!)
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
Rictavio, how well traveled are you?  We have an interest in "exploring" and have heard rumors about the surround areas, something about an abandoned town and mansion?  Do you know anything about those?  Treasure hunting is a bit of a hobby of mine and my good fortune would be yours as well.  The best treasure is knowledge and reliable friends :)  but gold is always nice as well.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Well I am well traveled, certainly - among populated towns and civilized areas! I don't think I would get much of an audience in an abandoned town and mansion. Within this valley I have found a nice home here (for the time being). Outside I have traveled far and wide. Elf lands and dwarf lands and beyond!
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@secularmerlin
@Buddamoose
@Earth
@kindertina
(ok so that's interesting, is he from outside like us?  Not exactly sure where to go with that, if anywhere)
Buddamoose
Debates: 4
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
@drafterman
That's true, I suppose i never specified how early. Oh well, more time to have some of this delicious coffee.

For a year you've been here? What brought you here? Have you been here the whole time, or have you left Barovia since, if even for a short time? 

Snerp Deception Check: d20 (2) + 4 = 6]

(Shit, that had to have failed. Guy knows we ain't here for the festival at the least given this. 😂)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
(these fail azz rolls to start the day though. Snerps on his C game bois and girls, today he's gonna be giving it his some and will be phoning it in 😂)
drafterman
drafterman
Rictavio: Oh, I've only been here for little over a month. It is a miracle that Urwin tolerates my presence, especially after the Piccolo disaster (poor monkey). I came here because that is where my travels took me! I go from town to town, preferably one I've never been to before. I haven't left yet, I can't leave until I've made my grand performance!

As they are conversing, the hunters Szoldar and Yevgeni meander into the tavern.

Szoldar: Is time to hunt? Da? Where do you want to go?

Yevgeni: Hunt. Da.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
Morninglords blessings upon you two! Glad to see you two finally wake up.

Snerp greets Szoldar and Yevgeni with a smile and chuckle, then turns back to Rictavio

Grand performance? Well now I'm intrigued. And what would this grand performance be if I may ask?

(Is Grahf present in the tavern?)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
(getting sus vibes from that, "I can't leave till my grand performance" comment tbh.)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
(my suggestion for the day would be:

1) Part of the group pays a visit to dude who bought the Saints bones from kid at church. 

2) Part of the group pays a visit to Burgomaster 

3) Search for a book/trinket shop in the market or elsewhere. 

4) Explore area around town, kill wolves, get lootz

Thoughts? 
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Buddamoose
(was thinking the same thing, but can't tell if it's real or just my usual paranoia. pied piper?)
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Buddamoose
suggestion for the day would be:
(splitting up the party.....(shudder)  )
drafterman
drafterman
Rictavio: Well, you'll just have to attend the festival and see!

Szoldar: Daylight burning. Where do you want to go?
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@drafterman
No hints? I might be able to assist with rhythm hombre. How did you get by the "death house", set up by Strahd, alone btw?

Szoldar is right, daylight is burning. Before we head out of town I'm going to be paying a visit to the Burgomasters. You can join me or the other part of the group that will be paying a visit to someone else. 

Alternatively, you two could stay here and we'll fetch you when we are ready to leave town. Should be ready by about midday to fully leave. Some things have to be dealt with, my apologies gentleman, you'll both still get the full days pay. 

With that Snerp pulls out 3 gold pieces. 

As agreed, here is the other 3 gold as promised last night for the day in advance. When we return to Vallaki, the other 5 will be yours. 
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
(we gotta return the horses to the Vistani too, lest we draw their ire.)
drafterman
drafterman
Rictavio: As a fellow entertainer, I'm sure you understand how much preparation can go into these things. It would require a lot of modification to incorporate a second act, but fear not, I am sure there will be enough room in the Festival for both of us!

Szoldar grumbles but takes the coin. We be back at noon. Then hunt some more, with or without you.

Yevgeni nods. Hunt. Noon. Da.

The hunters then exit the tavern.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Buddamoose
(we gotta return the horses to the Vistani too, lest we draw their ire.)

(the fortune teller's reading, they were in it, perhaps in a different location, but since we are here.....)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
Well, fair enough. With that being said, we must be off. Can you direct me to the Burgomasters residence? Also, is there any shops in town that sell books or trinkets? Magical wares perhaps? 

Once recieving directions, Snerp walks out of the tavern and to the Burgomasters with anyone who wants to accompany him. 

(How long until Mid-Day? Trying to gauge how much time we have to do stuff in town before heading out with the hired help 👍.)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
 fortune teller's reading, they were in it, perhaps in a different location, but since we are here.....)

(True, I more just don't want the Vistani hostile to us. Would make things way more difficult. Maybe we can swing continuing to use them for longer?)
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Buddamoose
(we can't afford extra enemies)
(I'll go with Snerp)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
(get ready for some schmoozing of nobles. Also prolly gonna have to perform before the Burgomaster agrees to give me a set in the Festival. But no worries, got Unearthly Chorus waiting in my backpocket for that plus still have inspiration. Let's hope they're not poor rolls like the first two of the day 😂.)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
(if we can get the Burgomaster on our side, the eventual assault on Ravenloft might come with his assistance, in the form of troops. 👏💯 😋.)
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Buddamoose
(hmmm I think this is all a front for some sinister plan, but again I'm paranoid like that lol )
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
(so somber melody with soulful and tragic lyricism? Or light-hearted melody masking tragic lyricism? Either way if i have to perform I'm using the opportunity to flesh out Snerps backstory some more 💯👏)
drafterman
drafterman
(It's about 6 hours till midday)

Rictavio: The only place to get useful wares would be the stockyard where I keep my wagon. As far as magical wares, you'd need to go to a big city for that. Nothing like that around here.

Rictavio then gives him directions to the stockyard (N5) and burgomaster's house (N3).

Snerp, Roberts (and any others) head through town to the burgomaster's mansion. When they reach it, they see a mansion with walls of plastered stone that display many scars where the plaster has fallen away from age and neglect. Drapes cover every window, including a large, arched opening above the mansion's double entrance doors.

The mansion is very busy, with people coming and going, most of them carrying bundles of twigs which they take inside and come back out empty handed.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Buddamoose
(someone said he wants people to be happy, and if they aren't they disappear, something like that anyway)
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@drafterman
most of them carrying bundles of twigs

(that seems rather odd, anyone struggling with their load that i could help and ask what is going on here?)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
@drafterman
Snerp looks around for twigs, picking up some and stashing them in his pack. Then walks into the mansion with Roberts and looks for the major domo, or first hand of the Burgomaster, basically someone who can get him an audience with the Lord of the Burgers 😂. 

(I dont lIke how all the drapes are closed. Seems like an attempt to hide things from prying eyes 😐.)
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
someone said he wants people to be happy, and if they aren't they disappear, something like that anyway)

(A light-hearted melody masking tragic lyricism it is. 😏😂.)