Calling all Atheists

Author: Owen_T

Total: 55
Owen_T
Debates: 25
Owen_T
What questions would you need answers to if you were to convert to Christianity? 
Owen_T
Owen_T
The title is a bit misleading. Answers from all non Christians would be great. 

Here are a few I have:

If God is all powerful, why would Satan rebel?

Why did Jesus provide such little evidence for his resurrection?

ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Owen_T
Why isn't Jesus the one running this thread?
FLRW
FLRW

I don't know, let me think about it.
cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
-->
@Owen_T
Why are so many people born into a life of suffering? Why not just skip straight to the wonderful afterlife with God?

Best.Korea
Debates: 331
Best.Korea
-->
@Owen_T
What questions would you need answers to if you were to convert to Christianity?
There is no question nor answer which can convert me to Christianity.

If Christian God is real, then he is my enemy because we disagree about how the world should be run.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Owen_T
The title is a bit misleading. Answers from all non Christians would be great. 

Here are a few I have:

If God is all powerful, why would Satan rebel?

Why did Jesus provide such little evidence for his resurrection?
The Bible answers your questions.

1. Lucifer was not satisfied with worshipping God; instead, he wanted to be worshipped. Once a beautiful, powerful angel of God, he lost his former, exalted position in Heaven.

“How you are fallen from Heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How you are cut down to the ground, you who weakened the nations! For you have said in your heart: ‘I will ascend into Heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God; I will also sit on the mount of the congregation on the farthest sides of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be like the Most High.’ Yet you shall be brought down to Sheol, to the lowest depths of the Pit” (Isaiah 14:12–15).

Lucifer (“star of the morning”) became Satan (“accuser”) when he fell to the earth. Jesus, speaking of this event, said, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from Heaven” (Luke 10:18).

2. John 16:7  
But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.

Owen_T
Owen_T
-->
@Shila
Assuming the existence of angels, we know that they would be wise beyond our understanding, being essentially demigods. Only a comically stupid idiot would go against an omnipotent being.

That also raises the question why would an all knowing being allow Lucifer to exist? 
Shila
Shila
-->
@Owen_T
Assuming the existence of angels, we know that they would be wise beyond our understanding, being essentially demigods. Only a comically stupid idiot would go against an omnipotent being.

That also raises the question why would an all knowing being allow Lucifer to exist? 
Why does Satan rebel against God?
According to the Old Testament, Satan (or Lucifer, as he was called when he was an angel) was one of God's creations. Two Old Testament passages (Isaiah 14:12-15 and Ezekiel 28:11-19) allude to the angel Lucifer's original position as a very exalted being, and likely the highest ranking of all the angels. Ezekiel 28:12-15 also states that in addition to being powerful, it's likely that Lucifer was the most beautiful of all of God's creations.But Lucifer was not satisfied with his lot in heaven as "God's favorite angel." Instead, Lucifer wanted to become God himself and planned what could essentially be called a military coup to overthrow God and take over as leader of the universe. In essence, Satan rebelled against God because he wasn't happy as an assistant to God but instead wanted to have God's job. 
According to the Old Testament, upon learning of Lucifer's plan, God removed him from his dignified position and cast him out of Heaven (Isaiah 14:15; Ezekiel 28:16-17). This is often described as Satan's "fall from Heaven," although it's probably more accurate to say that he was exiled from Heaven. 
Interestingly, in the Old Testament, when Satan tempts Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, he does so using the promise of God-like powers. In Genesis 3:1-5, as Satan tempts Eve to eat the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, he tells her, "For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil." 
Satan convinces Eve to eat the fruit by telling her that after doing so, she will know what God knows. 

Owen_T
Owen_T
-->
@Shila
I understand your point, Satan was a powerful angel who wanted to be god, but got cast out.

You have affirmed that Lucifer is powerful and wise, such a being would not try to overthrow a god if it was impossible. 

So, you're implying that God does not have complete omnipotence over his creations. 

This is further supported by the fact that god, being all knowing, could have just not created Lucifer. 
Shila
Shila
-->
@Owen_T
I understand your point, Satan was a powerful angel who wanted to be god, but got cast out.

You have affirmed that Lucifer is powerful and wise, such a being would not try to overthrow a god if it was impossible. 

So, you're implying that God does not have complete omnipotence over his creations. 

This is further supported by the fact that god, being all knowing, could have just not created Lucifer. 
It proves God is consistent and infallible unlike those around him. He created all beings with free will.
Owen_T
Owen_T
-->
@Shila
That makes sense

But now your just ignoring the bulk of it, why a creature with free will would do such a thing .
Best.Korea
Debates: 331
Best.Korea
-->
@Owen_T
why a creature with free will would do such a thing .
That question makes no sense, since free will by definition cannot be limited by reason(cause), or otherwise its not free will.

Owen_T
Owen_T
-->
@Best.Korea
Probably could have phrased that better. 
It is an irrational thing to do, and angels, being half god, would be incredibly rational.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Owen_T
That makes sense

But now your just ignoring the bulk of it, why a creature with free will would do such a thing .
Why does Satan rebel against God?
According to the Old Testament, Satan (or Lucifer, as he was called when he was an angel) was one of God's creations. Two Old Testament passages (Isaiah 14:12-15 and Ezekiel 28:11-19) allude to the angel Lucifer's original position as a very exalted being, and likely the highest ranking of all the angels. Ezekiel 28:12-15 also states that in addition to being powerful, it's likely that Lucifer was the most beautiful of all of God's creations.But Lucifer was not satisfied with his lot in heaven as "God's favorite angel." Instead, Lucifer wanted to become God himself and planned what could essentially be called a military coup to overthrow God and take over as leader of the universe. In essence, Satan rebelled against God because he wasn't happy as an assistant to God but instead wanted to have God's job.
According to the Old Testament, upon learning of Lucifer's plan, God removed him from his dignified position and cast him out of Heaven (Isaiah 14:15; Ezekiel 28:16-17). This is often described as Satan's "fall from Heaven," although it's probably more accurate to say that he was exiled from Heaven.
Interestingly, in the Old Testament, when Satan tempts Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, he does so using the promise of God-like powers. In Genesis 3:1-5, as Satan tempts Eve to eat the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, he tells her, "For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."Satan convinces Eve to eat the fruit by telling her that after doing so, she will know what God knows.

You can see it was raw ambition and rebellion.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Owen_T

Why did an omnipotent god create anything at all?

If god wanted Pharaoh to "let his people go" then  why did god harden the heart of Pharaoh causing him to be stubborn and refuse to free those that were in so called "bondage"? 
Shila
Shila
God created all things because it was good.
How many times does God say it was good in Genesis?
As we look at the first five days of creation in Genesis, the phrase “And God saw that it was good” pops up four times (Genesis 1:10, 12, 18, 25). Yet, at the end of the sixth day we read, God saw all that he had made, and it was very good (Genesis 1:31).
If god wanted Pharaoh to "let his people go" then  why did god harden the heart of Pharaoh causing him to be stubborn and refuse to free those that were in so called "bondage"? 

Romans 9:17-18 declares, “For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: ‘I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.’ Therefore God has mercy on whom He wants to have mercy, and He hardens whom He wants to harden.” From a human perspective, it seems wrong for God to harden a person and then punish the person He has hardened. Biblically speaking, however, we have all sinned against God (Romans 3:23), and the just penalty for that sin is death (Romans 6:23). Therefore, God’s hardening and punishing a person is not unjust; it is actually merciful in comparison to what the person deserves.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Shila
God created all things because it was good.
That doesn't answer the question of WHY he created anything in the first place.

How many times does God say it was good in Genesis?

I don't fkn care. It doesn't answer the question.

Romans 9:17-18 declares, “For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: ‘I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.’ Therefore God has mercy on whom He wants to have mercy, and He hardens whom He wants to harden.” From a human perspective, it seems wrong for God to harden a person and then punish the person He has hardened. Biblically speaking, however, we have all sinned against God (Romans 3:23), and the just penalty for that sin is death (Romans 6:23). Therefore, God’s hardening and punishing a person is not unjust; it is actually merciful in comparison to what the person deserves.

You are not very good at answering the question are you, Shila.  You do realise that your chosen verses make nonsense of gods decision considering it was he that wanted his own chosen people to go free.

WHY did he harden Pharaoh's heart. It is never ever explained. If god wanted his people freed so desperately why not just free them himself with a wave of his godly hand instead of having go betweens' racing back and forth demanding shite every day ?  You cannot answer the question because there isn't any  answer. 

Maybe you should leave it to the author of the OP Owen_T to take up the questions considering he invited the questions in the first place...... but I won't hold my breath.
Moozer325
Debates: 13
Moozer325
-->
@Owen_T
  1. Why does the Bible have contradictions to itself and modern science
  2. Why does God permit evil if he is all loving
  3. Why do so many other people come to different conclusions religiously than Christianity. God should reveal himself equally to people from around the world.

Mall
Debates: 377
Mall
-->
@Owen_T
You know a lot of Christianity have atheists in it.
Shila
Shila
You are not very good at answering the question are you, Shila.  You do realise that your chosen verses make nonsense of gods decision considering it was he that wanted his own chosen people to go free.

WHY did he harden Pharaoh's heart. It is never ever explained. If god wanted his people freed so desperately why not just free them himself with a wave of his godly hand instead of having go betweens' racing back and forth demanding shite every day ?  You cannot answer the question because there isn't any  answer. 

Maybe you should leave it to the author of the OP Owen_T to take up the questions considering he invited the questions in the first place...... but I won't hold my breath.
We cannot question God’s motives. Our knowledge is limited because Adam and Eve just got one bite each of the tree of knowledge.
JoeBob
Debates: 3
JoeBob
if I saw god with my own eyes, I’d believe 
until then, nothing
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Owen_T
How can something appear from nothing?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Shila

We cannot question God’s motives. Our knowledge is limited because Adam and Eve just got one bite each of the tree of knowledge.

oh FFS!   So the second a difficult question is posed the response is - do not question god. 

I shall answer it for you then shall I. And the answer is simple:      The story is false. Neither Moses nor god freed the people. Pharaoh expelled them from his land because the were out populating the indigenous Egyptians.  

WyIted
Debates: 27
WyIted
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
He doesn't feel like it.

Now that the one question has been answered. Welcome to christianity brother
WyIted
WyIted
-->
@cristo71
Why are so many people born into a life of suffering?
The yaldaboath is naturally an inferior creator to the real God and so his creations usually turn into shit. The spirit of Sophia is in the air, so he can't ruin the world too much, but he is a God in his own right so he is allowed to manage his creation. For now

Why not just skip straight to the wonderful afterlife with God?
It needs to be earned. He is like a computer scientist who runs billions of AI simulations to determine worth. There is also a sense of Justice with the true God, so he is incapable of being unjust. If you are wanting to join God in the afterlife than you must avoid Yaldabaoth, you must also become great in your own right, like Lincoln, Malcolm X, Ghandi or Hitler
WyIted
WyIted
-->
@Stephen

For the LULZ

He hardened his heart because otherwise the pharoah would have treated the Jews too kindly and they would not have obtained their intended destiny. Sucks to be Egyptian I guess
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@WyIted
He doesn't feel like it.

Now that the one question has been answered. Welcome to christianity brother
lol, I don't think I agree that any answer was sufficient.
WyIted
WyIted
-->
@Moozer325
  1. Why does the Bible have contradictions to itself and modern science
It conveys a deeper truth. Watch Jordan Peterson's lectures on Genesis

1. Why does God permit evil if he is all loving
Because to not give us and supernatural entities the capability of evil, is to enslave us. He believes in freewill in many situations.

1. Why do so many other people come to different conclusions religiously than Christianity. God should reveal himself equally to people from around the world.

Don't be silly. If a person believes in Islam, doesn't he believe in God? If a person is Hindu, does he not believe in some sort of God? How can you say he hasn't revealed himself when he is revealed in so many different ways to so many people?
WyIted
WyIted
-->
@JoeBob
if I saw god with my own eyes, I’d believe 
until then, nothing
Congrats. God is omnipresent and we are built from his imagination. If you look at a tree, God is technically there. If you look in the mirror, God is there. Congrats and welcome to theism. You have seen God just by looking at my words. You are welcome