Your philosophy

Author: MAV99

Total: 7
MAV99
Debates: 3
MAV99
After a recent conversation with 3RU7AL, I have decided I would like to start a thread that discusses a very important aspect, not only to philosophy, but also debating as well. An aspect that I think will help clear up some various confusions that I have, at least, encountered while reading other threads.

This important aspect of course is definitions. Without definitions, a conversation can become pure semantics with each side babbling and misunderstanding each other.

And so, to help get a better idea of your understanding, my dear friends on debateart, I would like to ask, if you bother with the time, to define certain words that are very relevant to any philosophical discussion and why you think that is the/a good definition.

If you think a word does not have a definition, per se, but is rather a multi-meaning word, please explain away. I am all for analogous words.

Of course, I would prefer this thread be for peoples individual philosophical definitions and as such, I do not intend for debates to happen here, even though I am perfectly willing to bring it to an actual debate.

With that said, here is the list I would ask for from you ladies and gentlemen:

Cause
effect
Principle
Knowledge
Will (or if you think as such: free will, determined will, etc...)
Being
Real
reality
truth
goodness
true
good (If you think these go in with their abstract counterparts, fine with me. Some poeple do not think so...)
beauty
evil
nature

I understand this is not an exhaustive list. If you wish to add more words that you think are important, by all means, please add it. I would love to read it.

I also understand that it is very difficult to cram philosophy into such little spaces. I think participation in this thread will ultimately just be to simply explain better if someone has a question about your definition. THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR DEBATING DEFINITIONS. IT IS ULTIMATELY JUST TO KNOW WHAT SOMEONE THINKS A CERTAIN, VERY COMMON, PHILOSOPHICAL WORD MEANS.

With that my dear friends, answer away! I will be back in August to see what you have written.
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@MAV99
Cause

effect
The concept of an event or state which precedes another event or state where the earlier event/state is claimed to be necessary for the later event/state to have happened.

The earlier is the cause. The later is the effect.

That is, in the hypothetical world without the cause, the effect does not come to exist.

Principle
An asserted relationship between abstractions, logically derived from abstractions.

Knowledge
The recorded perception of existence including all that can be inferred from other perceptions.

Will
The executive algorithm in a thinking machine/organ. That which transforms possibilities into priorities and priories into decisions.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
@MAV99
Definitively, one might suggest that an affect might also be a cause...Especially as a part of a sequence of events.

Principle:  Key data relative to an understanding, or to an hypothesis.

Knowledge:  Recorded and retrievable data.

Will:  The ability to make decisions within the context of the thinking unit. (Cause and effect, rather than randomness).

Being:  Relative to knowledge...The principle of the assumed status of the self and others.

Real:  Relative to knowledge...The assumption that sensory input is accurate.

Reality:  See above.

Truth: See above.

Goodness:  An indefinite principle.

True:  Understood to be accurate. (Within the context of the thinking device or devices)

Good:  Conforming with the indefinite principle of goodness.

Beauty:  An assumption relative to conditioned expectation.

Evil:  Another assumption relative to conditioned expectation.

Nature:  Everything.

Best.Korea
Debates: 324
Best.Korea
truth
There is no such thing as truth, since people dont have all knowledge.

Most people dont even have the most basic knowledge about what truth even is.

They just ramble nonsense and repeat what they are told, and call that "thinking".

Thats why they fall for lies from politicians and media all the time.

Thats why they expect that they can make all the bad decisions in life and expect that the outcome of that can be good.

They dont believe in truth. They believe in whats funny and what feels good.

Thats why US politicians look like they came from cartoon.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@MAV99
This important aspect of course is definitions. Without definitions, a conversation can become pure semantics with each side babbling and misunderstanding each other.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@MAV99
REAL-TRUE-FACTS (including objects) must be empirically verifiable and or logically-necessary (and emotionally meaningless) - - - everything else is functionally indistinguishable from OPINION (private experiential gnosis dreams emotions) - - - the first category is QUANTA and the second category is QUALIA
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Will
The executive algorithm in a thinking machine/organ. That which transforms possibilities into priorities and priories into decisions.
nice

i'd call it

"goal seeking in service of desire"