Presidential Immunity

Author: Double_R

Total: 332
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
Krickbaum attempted to ask Biden about whether he was authorized to have notebooks he kept full of handwritten notes about events and items he was briefed on. "You view those as yours —" Krickbaum began to ask.
"They are mine," Biden interrupted, in one of the more defiant moments of the interview.
"Every president before me has done the same exact thing," Biden said.
They didn't come to Biden to tell him he has to turn anything over. And even if we pretended they did, Biden didn't lie to them, then move the documents around so they wouldn't find them, then order the evidence of their whereabouts destroyed.

Why are the MAGA cultists so incapable of telling these two things apart from eachother?
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
k, so Biden is a MAGA cultist for not knowing the difference between every other president and Himself. He might actually believe that if you whisper it into his earpiece often enough.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
Why do you bother? You clearly aren't trying to make an intelligent point.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
Are you really so far left that you now see anyone who disagrees with you as a "MAGA cultist"?

That's pretty far-left bro.
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Double_R
It's that he had them, knew he had them, and refusedto give them back when asked.
So you believe it's not "willful" until someone asks for the documents?
When someone asks for their stuff back and you refuse by lying saying you didn't have them when you did and when you take action to evade their detection and destroy the evidence of their whereabouts... There is no longer any ambiguity as to whether your retention of those documents was willful.
There is also no ambiguity when you say "they're mine" like Biden and Reagan did.

Of course he is the rightful owner, not NARA or the FBI;
That's just stupid. He's a private citizen, he doesn't get to declare classified documents his any more than you or I.
Then why can Biden and Reagan?

the Department of Justice stated in public court filings that the "currently classified" diaries were Mr. Reagan's "personal records."
The justice department made the determination that Mr. Reagan's diaries were his to keep. Last I checked the owner of something has the right to do that.
So you think some nameless bureaucrats in the justice department own presidential records but the president doesn't. Mmmm

It's more like they were stating the obvious, not gifting.

You can whine and complain about unfair treatment because of the fact that the government asked Trump for his documents back
Little bit of a Freudian slip there... whose documents?

You can't write every exception or account for every possible circumstance when crafting laws
You can do a lot better than we've done, and you can limit the number of unhandled exceptions and subject them to general votes to prevent abuse.

sometimes you need to use your common sense to say 'that person shouldn't be going to jail for that'
...and then do it 99% until people actually think it's legal waiting for that one time your political rival "breaks the law"...

And again since I have to repeatedly state this, I'm not arguing for more ambiguity in the laws or a system that is entirely dependant on the whims of the enforcers
No, you just used it as an excuse for why you don't have to explain why Biden isn't guilty under your interpretation or justify that your interpretation is correct.

You "don't want to get into legal details" because don't you just feel deep in your gut how evil Trump is? That's what you think discretion is for. To get the bad guy regardless of what the law says or how others are treated.

This is again, why we have lawyers, judges, juries, higher courts, etc.
See how quickly respect and obedience to those institutions has evaporated without control of the media. Sidewalker and FLRW are running around calling the supreme court illegitimate and no matter what you will pretend in this thread that is what the democrat base will do the moment the clear lawfare (which has little to do with rationality or the law) turns against them. For example the arbitrary decisions about trial timelines just so happen to ignore the pressing need to jail Trump before the election and suddenly the court isn't so respectable on CNN anymore.

Hardly, you're defending totally unprecedented charges against a political rival on the eve of an election
What's unprecedented are his actions
As far as your interpretation of the law is concerned his actions are precedented by every president and probably every vice president since classification existed.

The circumstances are that he lied, then obstructed
Irrelevant to the charge, and without the charge they become irrelevant too. "Arrested for refusing to answer questions which obstructed the investigation into resisting arrest."

Again the only reason I appealed to the need for descretion based on circumstances is because you do not have a defense of his actions
You appealed to discretion because the law did not describe his action as criminal, and without that there is no obstruction and no crime to cover up. (even if those assertions are true and I doubt them)

If you can make exceptions on a case by case basis when exceptions are just and rational then there is no motivation to write the exceptions into the law and then what happens when the enforces are not just and rational?
If the enforcer of the law is not acting just and rational then no rewrite of the law is going to change that.
Then what was the point of having a law?

I've made clear by this point that this has nothing to do with whether Trump was allowed to have those documents.
Then you just don't care about the first 31 charges and are going straight for the so accessory "crimes", let me guess you studied under Bragg? Accessories can stand on their own now? Or is it just for Trump? You know posting on the internet can be an accessory crime to murder, march yourself to jail sir!

We should live in a world where the rules are just and practical and we will never get there if people are shielded from stupid rules by the good graces of bureaucrats
Ah, so the idea is that our we punish and even imprison enough people who really did nothing wrong then that's how we'll get our lawmakers to write better laws.
That's democracy for you. You want something changed you need to make it everyone's problem.

He has already mused to his rally crowds that he will order the indictments of his political opponents. Not because they committed crimes, but because they're his political opponents.
Chances that you added that last part: 99.95%
"Beck said: “Do you regret not locking [Clinton] up? And if you’re president again, will you lock people up?”

Trump said: “The answer is you have no choice, because they’re doing it to us.”

"Because they're doing it to us" =/= "because that's how the rule of law works"
lol, when you're outsmarted by Trump it can't feel good.

When "they" do "it" to "us" what is "it"?

If the only difference is whether you admit to what you're doing that's not much of a difference is it? I was just predicting democrats aren't fully realizing that it won't be as fun when the victim fights back.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
There is also no ambiguity when you say "they're mine" like Biden and Reagan did.
Show me where the FBI came to Biden asking for the return of classified documents and Biden said no. I'll wait.

And after you're done finding that example, please explain how Biden lied, concealed, and obstructed the FBI's investigation into their whereabouts.

he doesn't get to declare classified documents his any more than you or I.
Then why can Biden and Reagan?
Neither of them did. Reagan asserted executive privilege, something Trump could have tried even though he did not have a legitimate case. Instead he lied, concealed, and obstructed. Those are two different things.

So you think some nameless bureaucrats in the justice department own presidential records but the president doesn't.
Do you know what legal entity is? Do you know the difference between an entity and the people working for it?

sometimes you need to use your common sense to say 'that person shouldn't be going to jail for that'
...and then do it 99% until people actually think it's legal waiting for that one time your political rival "breaks the law"...
No former office holder ever took classified documents and then lied, concealed, and obstructed the FBI' investigation afterwards.

You can pretend as many times as you want that this didn't happen, it did. Deal with it.

No, you just used it as an excuse for why you don't have to explain why Biden isn't guilty under your interpretation or justify that your interpretation is correct.
I have explained, multiple times now, how Biden isn't guilty. Biden didn't lie, conceal, and obstruct. Do you know what those words mean? Can you read? How much longer are you going to keep pretending that I'm not making the argument I've been making for months now?

You "don't want to get into legal details" because don't you just feel deep in your gut how evil Trump is?
I have gone way further into the legal details on this topic than you have, but pretending is your MO so of course you'll pretend I haven't.

The reason I would prefer not to get into the legal details is because it's obvious that you really don't care about that. This is all just a distraction to you because you can't defend Trump's actions, so you instead pretend illegality is the bar for a former president and current frontrunner so that you can try to hide the obvious fact that he was wrong in a web of arguments around legal statutes, legal definitions, legal precedent, and legal theory... Because there's so much there that you can use to obfuscate the conversation. That's the only reason we're talking about the law instead of what's right. It's fundamentally dishonest.

See how quickly respect and obedience to those institutions has evaporated without control of the media. 
Doesn't address anything I've argued

As far as your interpretation of the law is concerned his actions are precedented by every president and probably every vice president since classification existed.
When you give yourself the luxury of just ignoring the parts that are unprecedented, of course what's left will be precedented. That isn't shocking.

Trump lied, concealed and obstructed. No one else ever has. Deal with it.

You appealed to discretion because the law did not describe his action as criminal, and without that there is no obstruction and no crime to cover up.
I appealed to descretion because the law absolutely describes Trump's behavior, but it takes thought to interpret it, because that's how laws work. But this is the game you play; you can't defend your position so instead you turn this into a debate over whether we should be able to think when asking ourselves whether a person's actions violate a law. It's essentially a version of the nuclear method, if you can't prove your position just blow up all knowledge so that any assertion at all is just as unjustified as yours.

And no you're just wrong; it is not required for an underlying crime to be proven in order for someone to be guilty of obstruction of justice and for obvious reasons, if someone successfully obstructs the investigation then of course the authorities would not be able to find the evidence of the crime. In this case, if Trump's employees did wipe the footage the FBI would probably Jane never had the evidence they needed for the search warrant. So no, you don't get to lie and obstruct regardless of what you did or didn't do.

If the only difference is whether you admit to what you're doing that's not much of a difference is it? I was just predicting democrats aren't fully realizing that it won't be as fun when the victim fights back.
Yeah, this is the difference between us. You have been so conditioned to think of politics as warfare that you can't even fathom that others don't see it that way. That when others hold someone accountable for their crimes out couldn't possibly be due to belief in the rule of law, no it must be lawfare. It's called projection.

Democrats don't "admit" to weaponization the justice department because we haven't. Republicans want to. That's why we're different.

Bill Mahr did a pretty good job of highlighting it here.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
Are you really so far left that you now see anyone who disagrees with you as a "MAGA cultist"?
No, I see anyone so depraved of thought that they can't respond to a single argument and instead just runs away every time their position is shown to be BS but keeps peddling it anyway as a partisan hack. It goes to another level when that same person can't recognize the basic problem with a person who tried and continues to try to overthrow the American experiment and instead defends that person at every turn while attacking anyone who attacks him.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
You just contradicted yourself.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
The Cohen trial proves without any doubt the current weaponization of the law. Out of all the sham trials, this one is by far the shammiest.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Greyparrot
I can't disagree, but the competition has been fierce.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
It's gonna be fun to watch them dig up George Santos to testify against whomever in a bright red court.
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
The Cohen trial proves without any doubt the current weaponization of the law. Out of all the sham trials, this one is by far the shammiest.
Cohen trial? The witness was on trial, not Trump?

What an embarrassment you are. You are delusional 

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
Sorry, was I supposed to spam Wapo BS here?
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Greyparrot
The one on trial is the people of NY,NY. Do they still belong in the union? This jury will tell us.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
You just contradicted yourself.
Yet another demonstration of everything I just said. It's like you're trying to prove me right.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
The one on trial is the people of NY,NY. Do they still belong in the union? This jury will tell us.
MAGA cultism perfectly demonstrated
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
Even cults are not perfect. The world is not linear. Neither are cults. The Palestine genocide is proof of this concept.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
That has nothing to do with cultism, completely different thing
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
How so... You think people that live in Gaza and Israel are not wrapped up in respective imperfect cults? That their cults can be perfectly defined as you define the esoteric "maga-cult"? What exactly makes Americans immune to the objective imperfections in tribal ideologies seen across the globe?

Let's hear the arguments for that.

One thing for certain is that the collection of cults sustaining the Democrat party are falling apart over Palestine, proving that all cults are not equal, nor perfect.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Best.Korea

We did it. We got him to change his propic.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@FLRW
I'll let Biden know who is responsible. Expect a knock at the door.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Greyparrot

Biden won't be running for President. It is just a scam to lock in Trump in the July Republican Convention. In the August Democratic Convention they will
nominate a women for President.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
Let's hear the arguments for that.
Tribalism isn't a cult. Bad, incoherent, or immoral policy/philosophical positions are not a cult. A cult is when a movement centers not around a set of ideas or principals but around one person. You can criticize the left all you want for whatever positions you disagree with, you cannot pretend everyone is just following some left wing figurehead.

If you think MAGA isn't a cult then you are free to explain why, but for your own sake please stop responding to charges of MAGA cultism by calling the left a cult. It just makes you look childish and ignorant. "I know you are but what am I?" worked in third grade. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@FLRW
If that happens, Trump is toast.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
You can't rewrite definitions. Cults blindly devoted to an ideology exist.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Greyparrot
Yes but that is a meaningless usage in a political context. Politics is entirely about ideologies, so there is no such thing as a set of political beliefs that would not meet that definition.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Greyparrot

If that happens, Trump is toast.
Tru dat !
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@FLRW
Yeah!
Best.Korea
Debates: 333
Best.Korea
-->
@Greyparrot
@FLRW
Parrot has a new profile pic 😮
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Best.Korea
Yep. Today is the end of the world as we know it.