are quantum movements affected by 'observation' or 'measurement'?

Author: n8nrgim

Total: 48
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
...Which isn't to suggest that theoretical assumptions and conclusions do not play an important role as building blocks,...

Zed, when trees fall they make noise --vibrating air molcules--- is not a theoretical assumption.

Same with vehicle accidents.  None of what I stated has anything to do with your "theoretical assumptions"..

Your way off base Zed. Out of touch with what has been stated.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ebuc
Actually.

Falling trees don't make a noise.

Auditory reception systems create the noise.

Which is why deaf people shouldn't walk under trees in a gale.

Nor should they cross the road without looking both ways.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
Zed, vibrating air molecules I stated at least 3 times.

You off base, out of touch, ignoring truth as presented clearly.

If you think falling trees and their impact do not create vibration air molecules, then,

you may need to return to primary schooling for a few years of science
Sidewalker
Debates: 8
Sidewalker
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
what do you think of sidewalker's take? 
It’s not my take, it’s Niels Bohr’s take, codified as the Copenhagen Interpretation, the most prevalent interpretation among working quantum physicists.

[Sidewalker] Quantum Physics, the Copenhagen interpretation, the particle actually comes into being physically when it is observed. 
That's not everything in the Copenhagen interpretation
No shit?  Are you saying the Copenhagen interpretationis more than a single sentence, well gee whiz, thanks for clearing that up forus Pumpkin.

but it is correct if you substitute "it is observed" with "wave collapse/interaction occurs"
It’s correct as is, we’re talking Copenhagen Interpretation, Niels Bohr gets to be the authority here, and he insisted that it was a “sentient observer” that was necessary to collapse the wave function.
[Sidewalker] Because of the dual nature of reality at the quantum level
Mysticism
That’s quite a non-sequitur, anyone with even a cursory familiarity of the subject matter recognizes the wave and particle nature of light and matter in quantum physics. 

Here’s an idea, try Googling “complementarity”, it’s another term Niels Bohr introduced (funny how that name keeps coming up in discussions about the Copenhagen Interpretation), it was Bohr’s attempt to addresses the fact that although “particle” and “wave” are mutually exclusive terms, “complementarity”  accounted for the resultant “dual nature of reality at the quantum level” with the concept of “complementarity” as an explanation for the fact that different conditions of observation could yield conceptually incompatible conclusions of either “particle” or “wave”.  This is really basic stuff, if you find it interesting, maybe you should try learning something about quantum physics.

[Sidewalker] particles can be “completely” represented mathematically by a “wave function”, this is a central tenet of quantum physics.
Yes, keeping in mind you're talking about the properties (essence) that manifest on wave collapse in discreet quanta, remember he just said there are no particles in the wave only on collapse.
The sentence being responded to is straightforward and universally accepted as a simple fact of the matter, it really isn’t necessary to “keep in mind” this strange and meaningless sentence.  The wave function applies to any quantum system, not just discreet quanta, and “there are no particles in the wave only on collapse” isn’t even wrong, it’s not even a sentence.  Maybe you really don’t understand wave/particle duality, which is to say you don’t understand the first thing about quantum physics. 

That’s the problem with Google Scholars, they look up facts and repeat them without knowing how they relate, they posture without any real understanding of the subject matter.

[Sidewalker] In quantum theory, a particle exists in a juxtaposition of possible states; only when it is measured does it take on definite qualities, like position and momentum.
The part of the Copenhagen interpretation that confuses people and contradicts itself. "We" just said there is no particle except at the instant of collapse. That is correct. This is not.
LOL, quit your blathering, the sentence is an accurate and straightforward explanation of the collapse of the wave function.  In the standard model particles can exist as probability waves in Hilbert space when they are not being observed or measured.  This is precisely why the particle can interfere with itself in the double slit experiment.

I’m sorry, but I just can’t dumb it down any further for you, if you really don’t know anything at all about quantum physics, perhaps you should at least try not to embarrass yourself.

[Sidewalker] These are not waves of some underlying stuff
Whatever this is supposed to mean precisely it's probably wrong. The waves involved all satisfy Schrodinger's equation but many were identified long before as waves of force-fields, the most commonly studied (and relevant for most science) are electromagnetic waves.
LOL, you don’t know what it means but you have a feeling it’s wrong, you are a real hoot kid. 

[Sidewalker] they are mathematical waves of probability
They are both.
Nope, we were talking about the Copenhagen Interpretation, the wave function does not directly represent an independent physical reality, it represents a sentient observer's subjective state of knowledge about the underlying reality.

[Sidewalker] a field of pure possibility that goes unrealized until it is “collapsed” by an observer, theoretically then, the act of observing seems to conjure the particle into existence out of a mathematical haze of probability.
That's what the first statement said, but the unwarranted flowery and misleading language is continuing to snowball.

"observation" can be done by a single atom. That's not what people think intuitively when you say "observation". Again (I'm really a broken record) "interaction" is a better word.
Nope, maybe you should Google “Copenhagen Interpretation of Quantum Physics”, I was pretty damn explicit about that being what I was talking about, perhaps you should get a clue and stop embarrassing yourself.  You want to thumb your nose at Niels Bohr and say neener neener, that’s fine, but quit pretending that you understand the first thing about the Copenhagen interpretation and its implications.  That is the subject matter of my post, don’t care that it upsets you. Get over it.

Or….stop posing and just say you disagree with the Copenhagen Interpretation.

I say "manifest", he says "conjure". Whatever makes you happy.

"out of a mathematical haze of probability"
Math describes nature, nature isn't math. This stretches poetic license.

[Sidewalker] The “bigger implication” is not that “our consciousness can affect reality”, it is consciousness actually brings about reality, the particle can be “actualized,” or made “real” by the observation that collapses the wave function, which gives it spatial and temporal existence.
We've now crossed over fully into mysticism with no admixture of scientific theory supported by evidence.
I guess “mysticism” is just something you say when you don’t understand something, I’ll bet you say it a lot. You really have no ability to follow along with a logical chain of reasoning, the statement follows logically from the implications of the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum physics. 

Try to keep in mind, your sentient “single atoms” that can “observe” do not exist in the Copenhagen interpretation, in the Copenhagen Interpretation only a “sentient observer” brings about the collapse of the wave function, which imparts the qualities of time and space to the mathematically represented particle.  I’m really sorry if the Copenhagen interpretation upsets you, maybe thumbing your nose at Niels Bohr some more will make you feel better.

[Sidewalker] The mind-boggling implication is that the objective world cannot even be said to exist outside of the subjective act of observation.
<monty python peasant voice>Now you see what I've been on about, did you see him try to deny objective reality?</monty python peasant voice>
Yes, I always find you comical, but the fact remains that ontologically and epistemologically, the Copenhagen interpretation runs straight into the heart of idealism.

[Sidewalker] This enforces the age-old hypothesis that consciousness is fundamental aspect of physical reality after all, perhaps the only ultimate reality.
It does not. If consciousness creates reality there is no way we can support that conclusion by the fact that physical quanta manifest during quantum wave collapse whether we know about the collapse or not.

It's a thing that happens. End of story. This the makes exactly as much sense as saying "Since color only exists when I see it we know consciousness is a fundamental aspect of physical reality after all"
LOL, my my, relax, count to ten or something, there is nothing to be upset about, the chain of reasoning I presented is straight forward, maybe read the OP again for context, it was about Quantum Physics and the OP asked about the “bigger implications for consciousness affecting reality”.  That’s an invitation to speak to the Copenhagen interpretation and its implications, and that’s what I did. 

[Sidewalker]As Neils Bohr, John Wheeler, Henry Stapp, and many other quantum physicists believed, perhaps consciousness cannot be considered just a by-product of the physical activity of the brain.
Many people believe that. No one who understands quantum mechanics thinks quantum mechanics supports this thesis.
LOL, you just have to love Google Scholars, the guy with the big floppy shoes and red Styrofoam nose thinks he understands quantum mechanics, while claiming Niels Bohr, John Wheeler, and Henry Stapp, and most working quantum physicists do not.  You posers really do crack me up.

[Sidewalker]In the end, we have some scientists trying to reduce matter to consciousness, and others trying to reduce consciousness to matter, we seem to be caught in one big loop.
I would suggest trying to actually understand it by looking at the math and experiments as opposed to watching pseudoscience docuseries.
Nope, I’m a book guy, you should try onesometime, it results in understanding much better than Googling facts andpretending does.

[Sidewalker]I always enjoy seeing our spiritual detractors throw a conniption
I hope Sidewalker is entertained by my conniption. I am less amused by this subversion of the scientific method (and the respect it has earned) to serve anti-rationalism.
LOL, now now, try to calm down, justbecause you don’t understand the subject matter, and can’t follow the logical processof reasoning, that doesn’t mean your scientific knowledge or your ability to berational is under attack, oh wait, yes it does, ummmm…nevermind.

[Sidewalker] if you do think consciousness is fundamental to the existence of physical reality, this raises the possibility that some sort of consciousness was necessary to make the universe actual in the first place, a preexistent consciousness that transcends the material universe of science.
Well Sidewalker has hit the nail on the head here. Reason is so much easier to leave behind when you have a belief that you've already decided to have faith in.

I’m not making an assertion by any stretch of the imagination, I’m simply pointing out that for those who are so inclined, it can be seen in those terms.  You have to have a serious comprehension issue to read  “if you do think” followed by “this raises the possibility” and think it’s an assertion, it isn’t. It’s an invitation to discuss.

I saw the OP as an opportunity to solicit some intelligent discussion, but unfortunately my post hasn’t attracted any yet, so far, just a Poser.

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Sidewalker
[n8nrgim] what do you think of sidewalker's take? 
[Sidewalker] It’s not my take, it’s Niels Bohr’s take
It's not.

Niels Bohr gets to be the authority here, and he insisted that it was a “sentient observer” that was necessary to collapse the wave function.
Nobody gets authority over reality, he didn't say that, and if he did he was wrong given that the laws of physics apparently worked just fine when the solar system was formed and life first formed on Earth.

Mysticism
.... Here’s an idea, try Googling .....
Well it seems you have a problem with googling below:

That’s the problem with Google Scholars
Looks like we agree you can't "just google it".

Well to be precise you can "just google it", but you need to have a working logic engine in your brain.

I guess “mysticism” is just something you say when you don’t understand something
It's something I say when someone says something completely unsupported by reproducible experiments and/or generally spews incoherent (self contradictory) nonsense with the clear aim of making themselves feel better about the universe.

LOL, quit your blathering
Right back at you.

(A) Yes, I always find you comical, but the fact remains that ontologically and epistemologically, the Copenhagen interpretation runs straight into the heart of idealism.
You sure that 'fact' isn't in a super position?

the chain of reasoning I presented is straight forward
If you believe that then fortunately you ought to have nothing else to say.

That’s an invitation to speak to the Copenhagen interpretation and its implications, and that’s what I did. 
I was invited to speak on what you said, and that's what I did. Glad we sorted that out.

“if you do think” followed by “this raises the possibility” and think it’s an assertion, it isn’t. It’s an invitation to discuss.
Why did you use the word "fact" in the sentence marked by (A) above?
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@n8nrgim
@Sidewalker
1} Q.E.D. R P Feynman, forget what anyone told you about a photon being a wave, we only observe it as a particle.

2} Wave = Meta { beyond }-space mind/intellect/concept ex here is Euclidean { straight lines } wave /\/\/\/\/\/\ ergo a geometric pattnrn. see #7 below

3} Particle = 3D volumetric and the minimal volumetric shape of Universe, is a tetrahedron  \Y/ { 4 vertexes of subdivided triangle }

Wolfram..." The tetrahedral graph is the line graph of the star graph , and the line graph of the tetrahedral graph is the octahedral graph. "...

4} A photon does not "come into being" --being meaning as occupied space--- from a truly non-occupied space.  It comes into being from EMRadiational Field

5} The minimal field is  no less that two lines \/ as vector set of one or more trajectories /\ with an angle ---angle with some degree value less than 180--- having momentum and direction.

6} the minimal excitation \/\/\/ of a the EM-Field is no less than 6 lines/edges/chords/vectors of a 3D volumetric tetrahedron /\/\/\ even if some instruments show a single blip ex /\

7} think of a stream of photons as your arm and hand as particles. Hold your arm-hand out in front of you and move it laterally either direction, while raising your arm, higher and lower, so as to create a sine-wave-like pattern /\/\/\/\/. Now stop moving your arm hand.  We still see the stream of photons as arm hand set of particles.

Our Meta { beyond }-space mind/intellect/concept accessing brain, no longer imagine a sine-wave pattern, except as a memory from what it imagined to exist when the arm-hand was moving/motion/dynamic pattern of existence.

What is it about motion, that, influences reality?  The geometric shape of a set of atoms > molecules > substance varies dynamic efficiency in car wing of plane etc. So the two work in complement with each other, so-to-say.

Know this, a Euclidean cubo-octahedrons { Vector Equilibrium-VE }, four bisecting hexagonal areas sum-total, are not equal to the  8 triangle and 6  square surface planes. In fact the outer set of areas, if I recall correctly, are slightly less than the four hexagons total surface area.  0.1 or 0.2 in differrence. Wish I still had that info at hand.

However, if make each straight edge hexagon a circle, the four bisecting planar areas are equal to the surface of the now, perfect s cubo-octahedron { VE } sphere.

Archimedes was the first to discover this. So we see, that, a conceptual curving of a polygon, --implied dynamic of spin---  effects its overall area relationships vs the straight line considerations.  So does this mean geodesic curvature is less effective than straight line Euclidean? More effective?

Recall also, that what ever exists in a static/stationary 3D black hole, is said to be represented holographically on its 2D surface area.  

n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@ebuc
the proof is in the pudding. the pudding is in the crust. plus, e = mc squared. whence, i think, therefore, i am. harvester of land, taken of the fallen lamb. 
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@n8nrgim
the proof is in the pudding. the pudding is in the crust. plus, e = mc squared. whence, i think, therefore, i am. harvester of land, taken of the fallen lamb.

And this text is suppose to somehow relate to any specific comments by me???? Sorry i dont see any logical, common sense critical thinking relevancy there.

E for effort tho?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ebuc
Zed, when trees fall they make noise.

Sound waves.

Not noise.

Without a system to receive and convert sound waves, there is no noise.

Hence why profoundly deaf people cannot hear anything.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4

Not noise.
Zed how many times have I posted vibrating air molecules?

Acknowledge truth, facts, etc when presented to you. Simple.

Continuing to avoid, by running around the edges, looking for fissures of picky word error/correction refinements is fine { to some degree }, as long as you do the other above also.

Air molecules affect not only ear function ergo brains, --ergo a noise--   air molecules also effect other trees, snakes and snakes dont use the words, noise, air molecules vibrating, tho that is what both are.

Their stapes—called a “columella”—is slightly different from ours in that it connects to the jawbone, enabling them to sense vibrations. However, they can only hear a portion of the sounds we hear "...

Flying insects..."
They hear by means of ears (a tympanic membrane with nerve fibers attached) and by very delicate hairs (trichobothria, sensilla) that respond to vibrations in the air. Sound is very important to insects in courtship. Why do flies and mosquitoes make a high-pitched buzzing sound when they fly? "..

Worms etc ...affected by ground vibrations of fallen tree.

Then there is long term resultants effects of a tree falling and fallen in forest, yard, street etc.

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Im so looking foward to zeds comeback here. 

The cube's  last post sounded like zeds last post stummped him for a split sec. 

When Ebuc read the first two lines of zeds previous post
Sound waves . 
Not noise.  
Something happened in the cubes thinker. 
He thought, 
yeah but .
No but. 
Then he recovered with straight simple  science. 

Please continue guys

It will get to. 
Do Trees falling in a vacuum make a noise 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
@ebuc
Species may have developed varying sensory mechanisms that detect vibrations 

In the case of the human species, noise is created by an auditory system.

Sound waves are detected by the ears and converted into noise by the brain.

You are making the classic error of confusing sound and noise.

And my vacuum cleaner is very old and makes a heck of a noise.

But fortunately my deaf neighbour can't hear it.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@zedvictor4
I was like thirty when i first seen a deaf guy wake up and walk outside after a hurricane hit that he slept through.

It was such a eye opener.

Ya can't really Imagin that scenario until you see it.   and go , fuck that can in fact happen .

Then i seen a funny skit about it.
But at this time i new things like that  can happen.  

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
Vibrating air molecules is not and error.

Trees falling in yard, forest, highway have multiple effect as you debate with yourself and a sound is, what a noise etc.

When the ground is hit, ground vibrates and have there effects on ground creatures and infra-structure, as well creating new air molecule vibrations also.

Observation takes place in many ways many creatures and human made instruments.

There there is the also the old butterfly effect.  You may not recall that one. 

..." Although the concept of the butterfly effect has long been debated, the identification of it as a distinct effect is credited to Edward Lorenz (1917–2008). Lorenz was a meteorologist and mathematician who successfully combined the two disciplines to create chaos theory. During the 1950s, Lorenz searched for a means of predicting the weather, as he found linear models to be ineffective. "....

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ebuc
Vibrating air molecules is not a problem.

But without ears and brain there is no noise.

All that you have is vibrating air molecules.

Other systems may also detect vibrating air molecules, but Ebuc still needs his own auditory system to convert their signals into noise.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
Motion of air molecules are one way to have sound and noise, if the only way.  Check your facts.

Motion of air molecules can cause dust in eyes,

....dust in ears { ergo clogged ears ergo less or no sound/noise heard },

...dust in eyes { scratched eyes } are resultant accidents on foot, bicyle, vehicle etc,

....dust in mouth, throat lungs etc.

....dust on windshield of vechicle ergo potential accident.

.....enhanced pollen count, ergo allergic reactions,

....trees, sheds, houses blown over creating dust,

.... the list of resultants from viibrating motion air molecules is longer than I have time for,

.....ex plane crashes and more
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ebuc
Ear drums detect vibrations.

Brains create noise.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
Yes, and many other things and resultants of vibrating air molecules, water molecules, dirt, rock etc.

Static noise on radio caused by interfering EMRadiation frequencies of streaming photons.