America vs Canada

Author: RemyBrown

Total: 14
RemyBrown
Debates: 0
RemyBrown
In America, talking politics at work is considered taboo.  In Canada, it isn't; it's a literal pastime in Canada (it's like talking about baseball in the US).

Canadians on average therefore, talk more about politics than Americans do.

This is why Canada is so much more left wing than America.  Free speech turns people closer to Canada's leftism over America's conservatism.

If right wingers like free speech so much, then alright; but keep in mind free speech shifts people to the left on average (at least on the Canada, America spectrum).
Savant
Debates: 23
Savant
-->
@RemyBrown
In America, talking politics at work is considered taboo.  In Canada, it isn't
That's because they talk a lot about American politics, and it's less taboo to say "that country is a disaster" than to say "this country is a disaster." Plus, in comparison to how the media shows American politics, Canadian politicians don't seem that bad.

Free speech turns people closer to Canada's leftism over America's conservatism
Canada does not have as many stringent protections on free speech, even regulating what language can be on signs in Quebec. If anything, Canadians would probably say America goes too far in allowing hate speech. It's worth noting that America also has some restrictions on speech, and the two nations are probably more similar in their restrictions than they are different. But Canada doesn't have more free speech than the US.
RemyBrown
RemyBrown
-->
@Savant
But Canada doesn't have more free speech than the US.
It depends on which perspective you're talking about.

From a governmental perspective, the US government is more pro free speech than the Canadian government.  You can say more offensive speech in the US than Canada and not get in legal trouble.

From a social perspective, the US society is less pro free speech than the Canadian society.  If I'm in an office in Toronto and talk politics with people, then I'm way less likely to lose my job than if I do it in America.

Not being thrown in jail for what you post on the internet doesn' matter if it makes you unemployable perminatly.

WyIted
Debates: 29
WyIted
Canada literally tries to end free speech. They literally tried to end Jordan Petersons career for not endorsing woke politics.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@WyIted
Canada literally tries to end free speech. They literally tried to end Jordan Petersons career for not endorsing woke politics.
you mean his career as a psychologist? Because if so, no you're wrong. His career got messed up because he violated the ethical standards of his profession. The governing body of his profession (please note this is not the government of canada) ordered him to take classes so that he wouldn't do it again. His refusal to take them is what almost ended his career. It had nothing to do with the government and was only tangentially related to his views. 

Sidewalker
Debates: 8
Sidewalker
-->
@RemyBrown
In America, talking politics at work is considered taboo.  In Canada, it isn't; it's a literal pastime in Canada (it's like talking about baseball in the US).

Canadians on average therefore, talk more about politics than Americans do.

This is why Canada is so much more left wing than America.  Free speech turns people closer to Canada's leftism over America's conservatism.

If right wingers like free speech so much, then alright; but keep in mind free speech shifts people to the left on average (at least on the Canada, America spectrum).
Oh pulease, you can’t possibly be swallowing that nonsense that these MAGA guys are spewing, right wingers do not support free speech.

From the beginning of his political career Trump has engaged in alarming rhetoric against the nation’s journalists, consistently and insidiously referred to the free press as the “enemy of the people”.  In 2016 when Colin Kaepernick kneeled during the national anthem, exercising his right to free speech as a means of protesting police brutality and racial inequality, Trump viciously attacked him and pressured the NFL to fire him.

Donald Trump has said that he will govern as a “dictator” on “day one” if he wins office again and has repeatedly vowed to weaponize government and seek retribution against the news media, showing complete disregard for the First Amendment protections. After Kamala Harris kicked Trump’s ass in the debate, he called for the FCC to take away ABC’s license, after Harris’ interview on CBS News just last week Trump called for the FCC to take away CBS’ license.

The right has created a wave of book banning, targeting race and racism, especially Critical Race Theory, the 1619 Project, Diversity, Gender Identification, and “woke ideology”, banning over 5100 books from schools and public libraries between July 2021 and December 2023. There has been a wave of bills targeting drag performances, where simply being gender nonconforming invokes penalties. Florida passed the “Stop WOKE Act” - that prohibits certain viewpoints in classroom instruction. It is legally forbidden in Florida for schools to teach that Slavery was not a good thing for black people.  Gov. Ron DeSantis has threatened to prosecute television stations for running a political ad supporting an abortion-rights ballot measure and is currently being sued for the unconstitutional violation of free speech rights.

This is just a smattering of what Trump, and his right-wing cronies have done to challenge the first amendment and curtail free speech.  Just because you hear the MAGA fascists blathering about Trumps right to misinformation and claiming “fact checking” is a violation of his free speech, doesn’t make it anything but misinformed rhetoric.

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Sidewalker
referred to the free press...
The best press a billionaire can supply isn't exactly "free"
RemyBrown
RemyBrown
-->
@WyIted
That's a public figure; not people in the office.  I'm just operating off of what I've heard online.
RemyBrown
RemyBrown
-->
@WyIted
Care to respond to History Buff?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@RemyBrown
Canada has some of the strongest anti-speech laws disguised as "hate speech laws" to put people the government doesn't like in jail.
WyIted
Debates: 29
WyIted
-->
@RemyBrown
He might be right, I am not sure. I would think the board of psychology there is a government institution but he claims it is private. I would say if it is public and he is wrong it supports my argument, if he is right and they are private then the group likely holds too much power because it seems nonsensical that a privat organization gets to decide who can and cannot practice psychology. So I don't know enough about what he is saying at the moment and will need to look into it.

I would say that the truckers having bank accounts gone after and shit like that was prettyt fascist, but again that might be the banks acting on their own. Either way we should have a culture of free speech as well, meaning that private organizations should not have the power to deplatform people to the extent they can, though they should have some power to do so
RemyBrown
RemyBrown
-->
@Greyparrot
And the US has some of the strictest anti speeding laws in the world (some of the lowest speed limits).  That doesn't mean they heavily enforce the law.

In Canada, my guess is about 40% of the population believes Caitlyn Jenner is a man.  They aren't going to jail 40% of their population.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@RemyBrown
The government just needs to jail the leaders of opposing speech. As a warning.
RemyBrown
RemyBrown
-->
@Greyparrot
If that's the goal, then it's a pretty useless warning.  1 person beng jailed (or even killed) would intimidate an ideolgical group if they made up 1% of the population and 99% hated them enough to want to prosecute them; but not when they make up roughly half of the population.

If any POTUS candidate was liked by only 1% of the population, then they would not be POTUS or be any serious threat to power.