Mayday Mafia Endgame

Author: AustinL0926

Total: 30
AustinL0926
Debates: 33
AustinL0926
TOWN WINS

Due to a mod error, mafia will receive a no contest.

ROLES

Lynched DP1:

Owen - Air France Flight 447 - Rolestopper-Inventor, Town

Killed NP1:

Casey - Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 - Motion Investigative JOAT, Town

Lynched DP2:

Moozer - Gimli Glider - Strengthener, Town

Lynched DP3:

Pie - Gol Transportes Aéreos Flight 1907 – Flipless 2-shot Universal Godfather

Deaths: 154

Terminal Outcome: Catastrophic in-flight loss of control due to wing damage leading to flat spin and ground collision (Gol Airlines), Successful emergency landing (Embraer)

Probable cause: Error by Air Traffic Control leading to intersecting flight paths between two flights, compounded by a failure of a private flight to use their Traffic Collision Avoidance System

Summary: On September 29, 2006, a private Embraer flight and Gol Transportes Aéreos Flight 1907 were flying over a remote section of the Amazonian rainforest. Though ATC should have contacted pilots in order to make sure sufficient distance was maintainted between them, they failed to do so and allowed the Embraer’s flight path to intersect that of the Gol Flight. Though the Embraer’s automatic Traffic Collision Avoidance System should have told them to pull up, avoiding a collision, it was disabled for unknown reasons (although data logs implied that the captain had intentionally done so).

The Embraer’s wingtip sliced through a large portion of the Gol Flight’s wing. The Gol Flight spiraled out of control and crashed into the ground with no survivors. Meanwhile, the Embraer, though heavily damaged, managed to make a successful emergency landing.

The accident became one of the most controversial in the history of aviation due to the alleged negligence by the pilots of the Embraer flight. Ultimately, two conflicting reports were issued; one by America’s National Transportation Safety Board, blaming ATC, another by Brazil’s CENIPA, blaming the Embraer pilots as well as ATC.

An arrest warrant was issued for the Embraer pilots, who fled to America to avoid extradition, where they remain today. Many of the victims’ families believe they have escaped justice, while they maintain their innocence as yet another victim of tragic circumstances.

Role:

Because the probable cause of the accident was never conclusively determined (or rather, agreed on) by investigators, you are flipless; if you ever die, your alignment and role will not be revealed.

In addition, because many people believe that the pilots managed to escape the legal consequences of their own negligence, you are a 2-shot Universal Godfather. The first two times you are investigated, you will investigate as if you were a Vanilla Townie. In case of more of than one investigation, the more incriminating one will be neutralized.

Legacy: As a consequence of this accident, training and conditions for air traffic controllers, who play crucial roles in aviation safety but are often underpaid and undertrained, was improved around the world. In addition, training to emphasize the important of paying attention to TCAS is now standardized for all pilots.

Legacy role: Because of this improved training, if you ever die, then the following night your partner’s abilities and factional kill will be unstoppable.

Killed NP3:

Lunatic - Helios Airways Flight 522 – Delayed Ascetic Bleeder, Town

Earth - Uberlingen Disaster – Universal Miller, Town

Lynched DP4:

Cerulean - Tenerife Airport Disaster – N2 Actress Role Tampering JOAT [Bus Driver, Janitor, Redirector, Deflector] - Mafia

Deaths: 583

Terminal Outcome: In-flight stall and catastrophic ground collision (KLM), Catastrophic impact and post-crash fire (Pan Am)

Probable cause: Poor communication between two planes preparing for takeoff and air traffic control, leading to an attempted takeoff on an occupied runway

Summary: On March 27, 1977, KLM Flight 4805 and Pan Am Flight 1736 were preparing for takeoff at Los Rodeos Airport, in Tenerife. Both takeoffs were delayed due to proximate causes. The captain of the KLM Flight ultimately misinterpreted an order to “prepare for takeoff” as permission to take off, and attempted to take off on an occupied runway over the objections of his copilots. Dense fog prevented the pilots from spotting the Pan Am Flight still on the runaway, and collision avoidance maneuvers were initiated too late to stop the accident.

The KLM Flight attempted to avoid the Pan Am Flight by taking off, but had insufficient airspeed, leading to an in-flight stall and ground collision with no survivors. The Pan Am Flight was clipped by the KLM as it attempted to take off, leading to an explosion of the full fuel tanks. Out of 396 on board the Pan Am, 61 survived.

Role:

Because the accident was caused by confusion and ambiguity in communication, you are the Role Tampering JOAT with the following abilities (you may use one per night [and the same one more than once])

Bus Driver [cannot self-target]: Choose two players. Any actions performed on the first player will be redirect to the second, and vice versa.

Janitor: If you perform the factional kill successfully while using this ability, then the role PM of the person killed will not be revealed on death.

Redirector: Choose two players. Any actions performed BY the first player will be redirected to the second player.

Deflector: Choose two players. Any actions performed ON the first player will be redirected to the second player.

In addition, because the investigation was hampered by the sheer complexity, scale, and desire by KLM Airlines to avoid blame for the accident, you are the N2 Actress. On Night 2, you may target another player. If investigated, you will investigate as that role; on death, you will flip as that role.

Legacy: In order to prevent such accidents from occurring again, aviation instructors teach the importance of Crew Resource Management, which involves splitting responsibilities between different crew members to prevent any one mistake from spiraling out of control.

Legacy role: Because of this improved communication, if you ever die, then your partner will be given the chance to use one of your unused abilities the following night.

Survived in Endgame:

whiteflame - Pan Am Flight 103 – Alignment Investigative JOAT [Cop, Parity Cop, Dreamer] - Town

Deaths: 270 (including 11 ground fatalities)

Terminal outcome: Catastrophic in-flight breakup

Probable cause: Deliberate terrorist attack with explosive device

Summary: On December 21, 1988, Pan Am Flight 103 took off from Frankfurt on its way to Detroit.

Unbeknownst to all on board, a radical terrorist group had planted a bomb in the luggage of the plane. Roughly 1 hour after the flight took off, the bomb detonated, disintegrating the aircraft in midair with no survivors. Large pieces of debris fell on the small town of Lockerbie in Scotland, killing 11 on the ground.

The investigation was aided by a stroke of luck; the bomb had actually exploded early due to a delay in flight departure – otherwise, it would have exploded over the ocean, destroying virtually all evidence relative to the forensic standards of the time.

Following the accident, a protracted and expensive investigation was jointly conducted between several countries involved – ultimately, two Libyan nationals were prosecuted and sentenced for the bombing, though many believed the true masterminds had gotten away.

Role: Because the accident was notable for the investigation and fight for justice, rather than the actual accident itself, you are the Alignment Investigative JOAT. You have the following abilities, each of which you can use one night per game:

-Cop: investigate a player to determine their alignment
-Parity cop: choose two players: learn whether they have the same alignment.
-Dreamer: choose three players: learn how many of the group are scum.

Legacy:

Though all those on board were killed, the fight for justice was relentless and never-ending. The investigation faced dead ends at almost every turn, but eventually managed to break through and find the perpetrators. In addition, airport security was improved so that luggage was more thoroughly screened for dangerous devices.

Legacy role:

Because of this, if you ever die on a night with an investigation, your investigative results will be released publicly the next day.

Banana - Egypt Air Flight 990 – Roleblocker - Town

Deaths: 217

Terminal outcome: High speed dive into catastrophic collision

Probable cause: Disputed – Pilot suicide (NTSB), Mechanical failure of pitch control surfaces (ECAA)

Summary: On October 31, 1999, EgyptAir Flight 990 began a routine flight from Los Angeles to Cairo. Shortly after takeoff, it went into a steep vertical dive and crashed into the Atlantic Ocean with no survivors.

The investigation was jointly led by America’s National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) and Egypt’s Egypt Civil Aviation Agency (ECAA).

The NTSB ultimately concluded that the first officer had deliberately pitched the aircraft into a steep dive that became unrecoverable in light of his continued inputs – they pointed out strong evidence for this. First, the flight recorder repeatedly recorded the first officer saying “I rely on God” over and over as the flight tumbled out of control. Second, the elevator controls (a hydraulic system that controls the vertical angle of the aircraft) was found in a “split condition”, indicating that there had been simultaneous downward and upward inputs.

The ECAA disagreed. As the investigation continued, they became increasingly worried about the NTSB’s direction of investigation and attempted to lodge several protests. They claimed that there was substantial mechanical evidence showing that the elevator had malfunctioned and that the first officer had in fact been trying to save the plane. Several simulations as well as forensic studies of the recovered plane components failed to support this.

The ECAA would ultimately back off from the investigation and heavily criticize the official NTSB report.

Role: Because the cause of the accident appeared to be fairly obvious, yet the ECAA tried to block the NTSB from finding this probable cause, you are the Roleblocker. Each night, you may target another player – assuming no interference with your actions, any actions they take will fail.

Legacy:

Though pilot suicide is a rare event, it remains a spectre in the minds of all air accident investigators – Germanwings Flight 9525 is another contemporary example. Little can be done about this possibility other than to keep it in mind.

Legacy role:

Because of this paradox of obviousness yet inevitability, you have a 1-shot roleblock you can still use after death.
AustinL0926
AustinL0926
Reserved for night actions
AustinL0926
AustinL0926
Reserved for mechanics explanations
AustinL0926
AustinL0926
reserved for balancing/modding discussion
AustinL0926
AustinL0926
reserved for commentary
AustinL0926
AustinL0926
-->
@Lunatic
@ILikePie5
@Casey_Risk
@Moozer325
@Owen_T
Out of 9 on board Mayday Flight 4, there were only 2 survivors.
AustinL0926
AustinL0926
-->
@Earth
@whiteflame
@Cerulean
@iamanabanana
The probable cause of the accident was determined to be a deliberate attempt by two people to hijack the plane and cause an in-flight upset. In the following struggle for control, the plane clipped into the ground in a high-force catastrophic breakup, but miraculously, both hijackers were killed and two passengers survived.
Moozer325
Debates: 19
Moozer325
Well, not my best game. Kinda sorry I didn't put in more effort. I probably could have avoided getting lynched.
Cerulean
Debates: 0
Cerulean
I suppose I'll never get an easy townread on this site again, huh?

AustinL0926
AustinL0926
N1 Actions:

WF – Dreamer (Ceru, Casey, Moozer) 
Casey – Track Moozer 
Moozer – Strengthen Pie 
Banana – Roleblock Pie 
Ceru – NK Casey, Deflect Ceru to Luna 
Luna – none 

Resolution:

WF receives: No result 
[This is due to being deflected to Luna. He will receive “there are zero scum in your three targets” next NP.] 

Casey receives: “Your target visited Pie.” 

Casey is NKed. She will not flip until the end of the day. 
[This is due to her legacy role] 

N2 Actions:

WF – Parity Cop (Ceru, Pie) 
Banana – Roleblock Earth 
Ceru – NK Luna, Redirect Banana to Pie, Actress WF 

Resolution:

WF receives “Your targets have the same alignment” 
[Actress resolves before investigations.] 

WF receives “Delayed N1 Result: there are zero scum in your three targets.” 

Luna begins bleeding.

N3 Actions:

WF cops banana 
Banana roleblocks Cerulean 
Cerulean kills Earth 
Cerulean redirects banana to luna 

Resolution:

Earth is NKed 

Luna bleeds out. 

Whiteflame gets “your target is innocent.” 

Cerulean
Cerulean
I'm not going to write a whole long essay about this game, because I'm sure that's already what Austin is doing. I'm willing to post a link to the scum Discord if Pie is for people to see what was going on in there.

From my point of view, at least, it definitely did seem townsided with how much info there was. But it was certainly still winnable. The Conditional Vigilante claim and the way I played it was what lost Mafia the game, as far as I can tell- WF and Lunatic both said they didn't really have a behavioral scumread on me at all until I claimed. Hence the whole, "I'm never going to get an easy townread here again" thing.

I don't want to get too deep into the mech marshes, but Pie and I were both pretty solidly under the impression that WF had been hard confirmed by the EOD2 information, which is why we ended up deciding on trying to set the narrative up against Banana starting Day 3. It wasn't meant to target her because she was new, but because her role was the hardest to clear. I hope you don't take my hard push on you personally, Banana.

We did consider pivoting to WF mid-Day 4, but I was more confident I could write a solid case on Banana than a solid case on WF. I'm not really sure it would have changed the outcome, because WF would still have been able to make the points about my claim being weird.
I did make two scum slips over the course of the game. Not sure if anyone noticed them, but:
- At EOD1, I voted Two. This was a slip/partially outing because I'd indicated before that I was reasonably confident that Owen/Moozer wagons had at least one scum.
- During Day 2, in one post of my "catch-up," you might notice that it pings Earth, WF, and Pie. But nothing I say there is actually directed at Pie. This was a mistake, because I'd edited the post to remove a part directed at Pie that he didn't want in thread yet. I removed that part of the post, but missed the ping.

I'll take any other questions about my play this game if anyone has them.
Cerulean
Cerulean
At the very least, we did get this mildly amusing screenshot.

Casey_Risk
Debates: 3
Casey_Risk
Good job town! I feel like I should have gone harder against Pie during DP2 tbh. The way he suddenly turned on Owen at the end of DP1 was so scummy, and claiming to be something like a DP3 Innocent Child was a cheap way to get out of being lynched. Pie himself wouldn't be the type to let that slide. In the end, however, it all worked out for the town. I agree that the game was maybe a little bit townsided, but it was also very well-played on the part of scum, especially on the part of Cerulean. 

GG! 
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@whiteflame
@ILikePie5
@Cerulean
Well I done did it again, jimbob. I got tunnel vision again xD 

I was right about pie but the same logic I used for whiteflame I was pretty convinced he was scum and couldn’t get it out of my head that he was. I am glad you guys killed me because if I had been there lylo I think I would have genuinely tried to consider both cases but ultimately my gut read on whiteflame was so strong I doubt I would have voted anyone other than him.

I do agree in the mod information thing making it town sided. And I do think it’s unfortunate that pie ended up quitting. I understand it was his birthday but in hindsight if he had told people that day “I really don’t wanna post tonight it’s my birthday” I don’t think it would have changed or alternated the course of the game drastically. We took dp3 kind of slow anyway. I don’t blame pie for quitting but I do feel bad for cerulean actually trying just for his partner give up.

Cerulean, I never picked up any of your supposed scum slips, you had me fooled. You are very good at sounding town lol.  

GGs all, sorry whiteflame again, good job to banana. Despite the inactivity she played well.
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@Lunatic
As someone who has succumbed to tunnel vision myself in more than a few games (and I was pretty close to doing that with you early in this game), I don't blame you. Generally speaking, I need to do better at taking a step back and feeling out whether I'm digging myself too deep in a read that wasn't that good to begin with. I either do that or I agonize over my reads to the point that I second guess everything, and I've got to find a middle ground somewhere.
Cerulean
Cerulean
-->
@Lunatic
Just to be clear, Pie "quitting" was at least a little strategic. He was pretty sure he was outed regardless and wanted to frame it in a light that made Banana look bad. He was still helping a lot behind the scenes with phrasing and proofreading posts.
Earth
Debates: 4
Earth
Pretty fun game. A little hectic, but still fun.
AustinL0926
AustinL0926
Ok, first, an explanation for the no contest:

At the end of day 3, I said "investigations were disabled with only one scum left."

I meant this to refer to the in-thread investigations. However, technically, this could fully refer to role investigations (i.e. whiteflame's role as well). This pretty much violates a cardinal rule of modding: players should not be punished for moderator ambiguity.

As a result, Cerulean didn't redirect banana's roleblock to whiteflame, allowing him to get "innocent" on banana rather than "no result." I believe that if he had known the correct intepretation, he absolutely would have.

Although I'm not sure if this materially affected the endgame result, it could have for two reasons - first, banana being "innocent" would raise the bar for her to be scum, as she would need to have some sort of investigation falsifying-role along with her early claim of roleblocker. Second, whiteflame getting "no result" likely would have made him suspicious considering banana literally claimed, you know, roleblocker. Thus, no contest for scum is the best way I had to mitigate this.
Casey_Risk
Casey_Risk
-->
@AustinL0926
At the end of day 3, I said "investigations were disabled with only one scum left."
Tbh I understood what you meant by that.

Btw, what was the theme split? 
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@Cerulean
Just to be clear, Pie "quitting" was at least a little strategic. He was pretty sure he was outed regardless and wanted to frame it in a light that made Banana look bad. He was still helping a lot behind the scenes with phrasing and proofreading posts.
Interesting. He is usually very hard to get lynched, even if he's viewed as scummy by everyone so it was a surprising relief for him to come out clean and not go down fighting tooth and nail just to convince everyone he is innocent last minute lol
iamanabanana
Debates: 1
iamanabanana
yay town won! That was frustrating in the end lol
iamanabanana
iamanabanana
iamanabanana
iamanabanana
Cerulean
Cerulean
-->
@iamanabanana
Yeah, sorry about that Banana. Hope I haven't put you off too much about playing Mafia. You were easier to push because your role fit a you!scum narrative better, particularly with the "An investigative villager was interfered with Night 1" info from Day 2.

I was trying to apply the idea that a story that both gets you fully from Point A to Point B in an easy to understand way and is presented confidently is sometimes considered convincing enough to be evidence on its own. Didn't work here, huh?
AustinL0926
AustinL0926
Still have thoughts regarding balancing! Just out and about today so I'll try to get it tomorrow, because I do think the concept of balancing a mafia game is very interesting and would be helpful to potential hosts in the future regarding what to and what not to do.
AustinL0926
AustinL0926
-->
@Casey_Risk
The theme split was "Accidents involving two aircraft" vs "Accidents involving one aircraft." Per personal mod preference, I had the Miller as part of the mafia themesplit.
Earth
Debates: 4
Earth
-->
@AustinL0926
Per personal mod preference, I had the Miller as part of the mafia themesplit.
Can I say I like this?
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Lunatic
Interesting. He is usually very hard to get lynched, even if he's viewed as scummy by everyone so it was a surprising relief for him to come out clean and not go down fighting tooth and nail just to convince everyone he is innocent last minute lol
It was impossible to defend myself with the “investigations” at the end of the DP.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Earth
Can I say I like this?
Ya we figured out the theme as soon as you and another townie claimed
iamanabanana
iamanabanana
Yeah, sorry about that Banana. Hope I haven't put you off too much about playing Mafia. You were easier to push because your role fit a you!scum narrative better, particularly with the "An investigative villager was interfered with Night 1" info from Day 2.

I was trying to apply the idea that a story that both gets you fully from Point A to Point B in an easy to understand way and is presented confidently is sometimes considered convincing enough to be evidence on its own. Didn't work here, huh?
Don't be sorry, you were doing your job, I just don't know how to defend against it and am not very good lol, luckily whiteflame understood that though.