2nd round of exploding device attacks on hezbollah

Author: WyIted

Total: 12
WyIted
Debates: 29
WyIted

Hezbollah unprovoked entered war with Israel. This of course is backed by Iran but that is beside the point.  I assume this is a case of Israel intercepting supply lines or having some control over part of hezbolla supply lines but there is a possibility this is a more traditional hack. 

This is a good move on Israel's part and makes the terrorists not trust their own supplies. This is important to look at for another reason. 

If the United Statea ever goes to war with Russia or China, these are the types of atta KS you should expect. The power grids randomly shut down. Hospital equipment randomly killing people due to zero days. It's a low level look at the future of warfare. Hopefully Israel did intercept the supply lines and tamper with the devices, because if it is a zero day, then Israel gas once again last a zero day that can be used on a wider scale  in a more dire circumstances.  We could have actually ended all threats of Nuclear war had Israel not turned stuxnet into a worm. 

Either way. This is an interesting look at potentially your own future
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@WyIted
I assume this is a case of Israel intercepting supply lines or having some control over part of hezbolla supply lines but there is a possibility this is a more traditional hack. 
No, your first assumption is right. In the real world engineers don't design in self-destructs and in the rare cases that they do they definitely do not make an API to remotely trigger them.

sadolite
sadolite
Nothing good will come from the future. Everything will be designed to kill and control everyone and everything.  I agree this is our future. The future is tyranny and death. I'm glad I will be dead and not live to see it.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@sadolite
Perhaps Jesus will return and sort it all out.

It's the least he can do, considering him and his sort kicked off the whole fu*king mess in the first place.

Exploding pagers and Religion...Clever stupid gene.
Barney
Debates: 53
Barney
Those new handless pagers are a real blast!
WyIted
WyIted
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
No, your first assumption is right. In the real world engineers don't design in self-destructs and in the rare cases that they do they definitely do not make an API to remotely trigger them.
It's difficult to believe for me. Pagers are pretty low tech so probably but you have companies putting in some pretty evil kill switches. For example stole a bunch of John Deer tractors from Ukraine and they stopped working after they got them over the border, which means that engineers because I don't think it was hackers in this case,  most likely made it so a kill switch could be activated on their tractors, which makes sense because John deer is attempting some pretty unethical subscription services not too different than copy machine companies trying to turn their businesses into subscription services.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@WyIted
For example stole a bunch of John Deer tractors from Ukraine and they stopped working after they got them over the border, which means that engineers because I don't think it was hackers in this case,  most likely made it so a kill switch could be activated on their tractors, which makes sense because John deer is attempting some pretty unethical subscription services not too different than copy machine companies trying to turn their businesses into subscription services.
Yea I can believe that about John Deer and some other companies who seem to think "buying" means "rent with the promise to pay us unlimited currency for maintenance and repair".

The fad of "software as a service" is also toxic in many cases where it is not a service at all, they just want constant revenue.

Regardless a kill switch (while very unethical for a company to secretly place) is a far cry from a self-destruct. The batteries in phones, walkietalkies, and pagers don't explode. The worst short would cause them to light on fire and that is not what happened.

Even the worst company would not create such a terrible liability for themselves. Your car fails to turn on that could turn into a lawsuit if you don't turn it back on when a judge says so. You make a pager that burns people's hands and possibly their house, now you're out millions. If they find out you made this possible intentionally decades in prison.
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
The order could have been fished by Israel posing as the Taiwanese company. No idea. 
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Reece101
The order could have been fished by Israel posing as the Taiwanese company. No idea. 
I have some experience with the full import process. There are so many middlemen and each would be an opportunity for a shell company of Mossad to tamper with the products. These companies prefer to work with known quantities and often make strong recommendations to use a particular customs agent, warehouse, port unloading company (longshoremen), etc...

You corrupt the initial point of contact for a freight forwarding and you can probably control everything until delivery. It does indicate that Mossad has moles in the terrorist logistics personal though.

One point of potential interest is that this strategy is very much "element of surprise", it won't work again. They will be more careful and do spot checks from now on.

When a belligerent plays a single use card that means they had a good reason. Therefore it would be safe to assume that they had reason to believe hezbollah was about to make a substantially dangerous attack.
WyIted
WyIted
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Even the worst company would not create such a terrible liability for themselves. Your car fails to turn on that could turn into a lawsuit if you don't turn it back on when a judge says so. You make a pager that burns people's hands and possibly their house, now you're out millions. If they find out you made this possible intentionally decades in prison.

You underestimate people LOL. There are electric scooters in China right now for having the battery explode and kill people. While I do agree with your assessment of Israel's tactic with the pagers you overestimate engineers, particularly ones servicing shitholes like Lebanon

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@WyIted
you overestimate engineers, particularly ones servicing shitholes like Lebanon
Keep in mind it's usually extra effort to make something explode and even more to make it possible via remote command.

Like a car for example, it has a bunch of gasoline; should easy to explode right? Well there is nothing you can control electronically to make that happen. Not unless you start adding components like a machine to inject liquid oxidzer into the gasoline tank.

35 days later

nelry5777
nelry5777
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Verna holds the belief that regardless of how difficult or traumatic one's experiences may be, there exists a method to transform them into a holistic journey, ensuring the preservation and integration of the mind, body, and soul. https://verna-haywood.com/