Today is Sunday, we're going to Sunday school

Author: Mall

Total: 21
Mall
Debates: 390
Mall
Ladies?? and gentlemen, we are gathered here today.........

Moving on.

-List or state what you believe is a biblical contradiction.

Please offer the book, chapter and verse and briefly state in your own words what the conflict is .

After you receive your explanation, you can question it or accept the reconciliation offered to you.

Best.Korea
Debates: 347
Best.Korea
I never went to Sunday school, so this is both exciting and scary. This feels weird and unexplored.
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@Mall
Please offer the book, chapter and verse and briefly state in your own words what the conflict is .

The contradiction/s should show themselves what and where the contradiction/s lies and without room for argument. But I don't doubt that Christians will immediately scream the word  "CONTEXT" at the first possible chance when caught plainly flat footed.

So I shall start.   The women ran away from the tomb in fear after finding it empty and told no one, says 

Mark 16:8 King James Version
 And they went out quickly, and fled from the sepulchre; for they trembled and were amazed: neither said they any thing to any man; for they were afraid.

Did they? 

Matthew 28:8 King James Version
 And they departed quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy; and did run to bring his disciples word.

And Luke's gospel reports the same.

Luke 24:9 King James Version
And returned from the sepulchre, and told all these things unto the eleven, and to all the rest.

No one has seen god - 1 John 4:12 & 1 Timothy 6:16

What about Adam?  What about Eve? What about Moses?  What about Abraham? What about Jacob? 

Moozer325
Debates: 18
Moozer325
-->
@Mall
I'd participate if I hadn't already had a whole debate about this with you. You already know which ones I'm gonna bring up, and I know how you will answer them.
Sidewalker
Debates: 8
Sidewalker
John 10:30 "I and the Father are one"

John 14:28 "My Father is greater than I"
Savant
Debates: 23
Savant
-->
@Sidewalker
Jesus is 1/3 and the Father is 2/3. 2/3 and 1/3 are 1, but 2/3 is greater than 1/3.

It's basic math.
Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@Savant
But you can’t be greater than what you are, you can only be equal to what you are. If they are one, then there is not 1/3 and 2/3 thing, that line says they are one, expect they aren’t, except they are.
Best.Korea
Debates: 347
Best.Korea
Sunday school seems fun so far.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Moozer325
But you can’t be greater than what you are, you can only be equal to what you are. If they are one, then there is not 1/3 and 2/3 thing, that line says they are one, expect they aren’t, except they are.

Indeed. When Jesus speaks of being "one with the lord" 0r "I and the Father are one"  it means nothing more than being in agreement.
Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@Stephen
Indeed. When Jesus speaks of being "one with the lord" 0r "I and the Father are one"  it means nothing more than being in agreement.
Well then why didn’t he say that he is in agreement with the father? The fact that he said that in such a way that people can reasonably get confused seems like an imperfection to me.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Moozer325
Well then why didn’t he say that he is in agreement with the father? The fact that he said that in such a way that people can reasonably get confused seems like an imperfection to me.

Language and expressions of the day, Mooz. He greed with his gods laws etc. 

If you  agree with me that a child rapists should be jailed for life then you and I would be "one",  while there will be other tossers that are of the belief that said rapist can be "rehabilitated" and shouldn't be locked up for life.

Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@Stephen
Fair enough, but surely he could have anticipated that dialect and language would change. For his work to truly be prefect, he would come down every so often and clarify his word, right? The amount of problems that the contradictions have cause in that so many people don’t believe in him because of that seems like it should necessitate some clarification by himself.
Stephen
Stephen
Fair enough, but surely he could have anticipated that dialect and language would change.
You are assuming that there was something special about him, Mooz.

He was just a man of his time, Mooz. A man that believed or was  led to believe that he was rightful heir to the throne of Jerusalem. But the authorities didn't agree and so, they nailed him up . 

For his work to truly be prefect, he would come down every so often and clarify his word, right?

😂 well I suppose you are right, but he's dead as a door nail, Mooz. He was just a man. It is  only Christians that believe he was divine and sent from "god" and became "god"....... and gone to "heaven".

The amount of problems that the contradictions have cause in that so many people don’t believe in him
Well  I would agree if he was the divine being that the Christians have made him out to be.  There are many contradictions in the new testamant that I have highlighted in the threads that I  have created over the years I have been here. I have given two shining examples myself above at post #3

For me, I have no problem believing that a character from ancient history  existed named Jesus but that Christians have cloaked in a myth. Jesus was a Jew through and through and I am of the opinion that Jesus would have been absolutely applaud that a whole new religion had sprung up in his name.

because of that seems like it should necessitate some clarification by himself.

I am sure there are millions of Christians that feel the same.  But the problem there is that Christians, instead of researching for themselves, have been totally reliant on pastors and priests to do the "clarifying" for them   And is all they have  managed to do was dig the hole of ambiguity ever deeper.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Moozer325
My typo above.

The above reply to you here> #13  should read  - "absolutely appalled" - NOT applaud, Mooz.
Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@Stephen
I thought the Bible was supposedly written by god. If that’s just the Old Testament, there are plenty of contradictions there too.

For me, I have no problem believing that a character from ancient history  existed named Jesus but that Christians have cloaked in a myth. Jesus was a Jew through and through and I am of the opinion that Jesus would have been absolutely applaud that a whole new religion had sprung up in his name.
While I agree that Jesus probably did exist, he must have been going around claiming to be the son of god if everyone believed so. In that case, I don’t think you can claim that and then not expect some people to believe you and start a religion.

I am sure there are millions of Christians that feel the same.  But the problem there is that Christians, instead of researching for themselves, have been totally reliant on pastors and priests to do the "clarifying" for them   And is all they have  managed to do was dig the hole of ambiguity ever deeper.
Yeah, sometimes I feel like that just because they have heard that there is an answer for the problems of God, they just assume that it’s an answer that makes sense, or works.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Moozer325
I thought the Bible was supposedly written by god.

Supposed to have been, yes. It is also believed to be flawless. But as you know, anyone that has read it for themselves will find this clearly not to be the case Or simply ignore and deny the glaring and obvious.

If that’s just the Old Testament, there are plenty of contradictions there too.

There are.  As I highlighted  above. #3

While I agree that Jesus probably did exist, he must have been going around claiming to be the son of god if everyone believed so.
Well not that Jesus himself is reported as directly claiming to be "the son of god". Christians scratch and scramble around trying to find verse/s that show Jesus was the literal and physical offspring of god and fail every time. And Jesus hints only one single time that he is  "the messiah" as did many other before him claim the same..... and all failed.  What Christians cannot seem to grasp is the fact the "son of god" is nothing more than a title,  so when understood in this regard then yes, he was the "son of god". As was King David and King Solomon. In fact the whole of the Israelite tribes were called "the Children of god". And incidentally Emperor also means "son of god". It is a title. 

I am sure there are millions of Christians that feel the same.  But the problem there is that Christians, instead of researching for themselves, have been totally reliant on pastors and priests to do the "clarifying" for them   And is all they have  managed to do was dig the hole of ambiguity ever deeper.
Yeah, sometimes I feel like that just because they have heard that there is an answer for the problems of God, they just assume that it’s an answer that makes sense, or works.
Well it has to be recognised that  when in the RE class or in Church, students and parishioners are told which page to turn to, what chapter and verse to read and then the "meaning" is interpreted and explained for them. And this is where the rot sets in.

A perfect example of this can be found here and the pathetic and childish responses offered by YouFound_Lxam just a day or so ago.  https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/11732-atheism-vs-theism?page=1

Its as I have already said , Christians that have never read or studied the bible for themselves are totally stumped for answers when challenged on the scriptures and or their beliefs and quickly start playing victim when caught cold and flat footed. They will try and palm you off with all kinds of shite. They will even deny what is actually written in their own scripture and redefine words in the belief that this will free themselves from the corners that they often paint themselves into and many will simply and blatantly tell lies.

Still, I find it all interesting not to mention very entertaining at times.

Nice to exchange with you Mooz.

Sidewalker
Debates: 8
Sidewalker
-->
@Moozer325
I thought the Bible was supposedly written by god.
Why did you think that?  I don’t even know what that is supposed to mean, can you explain what it means?  How does it work exactly?

If that’s just the Old Testament, there are plenty of contradictions there too.
Literally?

Notwithstanding your contention that God wrote it, it’s more historically accurate that the Bible was written by over 40 authors from different backgrounds and continents, over a period of more than 1,500 years. It is a book that includes history and prophecy, poetry and love songs, allegories and parables, none of which is conducive to any kind of literal translation. The information in the Old Testament was passed down verbally through many generations before it was finally written down in Hebrew and Aramaic, not exactly the most precise way to transmit information. Then, four hundred years after the Old Testament the New Testament began and it was written is Koine Greek. Until the invention of the printing press, each written copy had to be transcribed by hand, which we all know is a very inaccurate process.  For the oldest books of the Bible this went on for over 3,000 years, every single copy was transcribed by hand for generations and generations, and it started with information that had been handed down through the generations verbally. 

It would be utterly remarkable is there were no contradictions in a book of that nature.

While I agree that Jesus probably did exist, he must have been going around claiming to be the son of god if everyone believed so.
There is little historical evidence that Jesus thought ofhimself as divine, probably the only title he actually gave Himself was Son ofMan. The Jesus of the New Testament and Gnostic Gospels is not alwaysomnipotent, or omniscient, and He does not appear to think of himself asdivine. He didn't claim for himself anything that he did not claim for all ofhumanity. He rarely spoke of himself and His message was not about believing inhim.

In that case, I don’t think you can claim that and then not expect some people to believe you and start a religion.
There is no reason to think He intended to start a new religion, the religion that came to be called Christianity developed after his death, it involved the belief that he was resurrected of course. Today, it is impossible to know whether or not he actually rose from the grave in bodily form, for some it is a matter of faith, for me, I don’t think it matters, for me it is enough for me to know that his spirit jumped dramatically to life after his death and that because of this he gave millions and millions of people hope that they never had before.

What we do know is that the things He did and said caused His contemporaries to think of Him in completely new dimensions, there was something to this man's life that caused those who knew it best to reach the conclusion that it was divine in nature. 

What do you mean by “problems of God”?  If you assume that “it’s an answer”, then please tell me, what was the question?
Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@Sidewalker
Why did you think that?  I don’t even know what that is supposed to mean, can you explain what it means?  How does it work exactly?
I mean that God was working through the people that wrote it at the time. I does say in the Bible that “all scripture is breathed out by god”, but that is a bit self-referential and Meta.

Notwithstanding your contention that God wrote it,
Explain?

It would be utterly remarkable is there were no contradictions in a book of that nature.
Yeah, when you explain it like that it does make sense. However It does feel like God would have stepped in and clarified what he actually said when it was finally written down. However that brings up the whole problem of divine Hiddeness which is a whole other animal.

What do you mean by “problems of God”?  If you assume that “it’s an answer”, then please tell me, what was the question?
I was referring to the arguments of Atheism. The Problem of Evil, the problem of  Divine Hideness, the problem of non-resistant non-believers, etc.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
I can't help but feel. 
A gold coin donation doesn't do it for god anymore. 

The  money dish would have a pay wave thing on it. 
No bloody macaroni jewelry making. 
No painting pics with like a patatoe chopped in half. 
No gluing tree leafs on paper. 

Boy would it be diff now. 

Every kid has a smart phone now so ya cant touch them inappropriately. 

Mall
Debates: 390
Mall
I got nothing here that's contradicting here.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mall
I got nothing here that's contradicting here.

Then you are both blind and ignorant.

If you believe that there are no contradictions  above then you should have no fkn problem explaining away these contradictions that I posted above,  for us?#3

The women ran away from the tomb in fear after finding it empty and told no one, says 

Mark 16:8 King James Version
 And they went out quickly, and fled from the sepulchre; for they trembled and were amazed: neither said they any thing to any man; for they were afraid.

Did they? 

Matthew 28:8 King James Version
 And they departed quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy; and did run to bring his disciples word.

And Luke's gospel reports the same.

Luke 24:9 King James Version
And returned from the sepulchre, and told all these things unto the eleven, and to all the rest.

No one has seen god - 1 John 4:12 & 1 Timothy 6:16
 There are  over 100 verses that speak of people seeing god.
For example What about Adam?  What about Eve? What about Moses?  What about Abraham? What about Jacob?  

So when you are ready.