Updated list of survival foods - You are probably going to need this if nuclear war happens

Author: Best.Korea

Total: 11
Best.Korea
Debates: 331
Best.Korea
Keep in mind that some species of plants are poisonous, thus you shouldnt eat anything you cant identify.

Everything you find in wild you should identify to know its not poisonous, harmful or containing toxic waste.

This is meant as education for survival situations, its not complete and you shouldnt rely on this alone.

If you have some food to add to this list, feel free to do so by commenting below.

1. Algae

Its basically plants that grow under water, in rivers or seas. Some are poisonous while some are edible and even available during winter.

2. Tree catkins

Probably the single most common food in forests. Many trees produce edible catkins, only some produce poisonous ones. Squirrels eat tree catkins when nuts arent available.

3. Willow leaves

Willow leaves are painkillers. They contain elements which reduce pain. They are also edible in small amounts.

4. Dandelion leaves

Dandelion is an invasive plant, but its also edible. It does have a poisonous look alike.

5. Dandelion flowers

6. Dandelion wine

You can make wine from dandelion flowers, although making your own alcohol could introduce more risk of poisoning, since home made alcohol has poor safety record.

7. Dandelion roots

Dandelion roots are only good in spring while they are soft. After that they become too hard to chew.

8. Tree bark

Many animals eat tree bark, but they never eat too much. Small amount of tree bark from safe tree is safe to eat, but never eat too much because tree bark can cause constipation if eaten in too large amounts.

9. Soil

Many animals eat soil, including monkeys. Its not really known if soil is safe, if its beneficial for humans, or what benefits it adds. Still, its worthy of mention so that more research can be made about it.

10. Tree leaves

Some trees have edible leaves.

11. Tree nuts

These are most calorie dense foods in the world. For example, walnuts have about 700 calories in 100 grams. Some nuts need to be cooked before you can eat them.

12. Tree fruit

Fruit is also high value food which adds both taste and calories.

13. Berries

These are, just like fruit, very significant in value, but hard to find.

14. Mushrooms

Mushrooms are one of those things which are both scary and attractive. They are scary because many of these can kill you if you eat them.

They are attractive because if one knows enough to make difference between poisonous and non-poisonous, he gains a very valuable food source.

15. Eggs (from birds nests)

Birds eggs arent going to add much, but they will add some nutrition necessary for survival.

16. Nests containing nuts, animals

Squirrels nests often contain nuts. Nests can also contain small animals if you feel like being a meat eater.

17. Grass seeds

Probably a bad food source. Grass seeds are actually better choice to feed chickens with than for human consumption.

18. Insects

Insects are plenty in nature. Insects such as grasshoppers are very nutritious. The only problem is utter disgust caused by people eating them.

19. Fish

Fishing is a useful skill. While some fish are dangerous or poisonous, many are edible.

For fishing, one just needs rod, silk and hook.

The bait is found easily in nature, since insects can be used as bait.

20. Hunted animals

I am not sure how much hunting skills would help, but these usually require some skills about making weapons or traps.

Now, it helps if you already have a weapon.

21. Hunted birds

Birds are easy to hunt. Some people even manage to hunt them with slingshot.

22. Buds that are small leaves from trees

New, young leaves from trees are easier to chew than formed leaves.

23. Tree sap

Some trees produce sap which happens to be edible, so it adds to available food.

24. Honey

This one is probably the most dangerous food source, since it is usually protected by hundreds of bees capableĀ  of killing a person.

Yet it contains significant amount of calories.

Keep in mind that this is just a list. Each of these needs to be further researched to learn whats safe, what species and types are safe, how to prepare... how to process...ect.

No one should use this list as a guide itself, but rather as a point to which potential food sources need to be researched more.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
Also, about tree catkins, I need to say that green small catkins are much easier to chew than fully formed catkins.

Same principle applies to leaves. Smaller, non-formed leaves, buds are easier to chew than fully formed leaves.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@Best.Korea

It's not IF nuclear war will happen, it's when.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Best.Korea
Here is a complete list of foods apes eat:
  • fruits
  • veggies
  • plant leaves
  • tubers
  • shoots
  • stalks
  • insects
  • other primates (occasionally)

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@FLRW
Here is a complete list of foods apes eat:
  • fruits
  • veggies
  • plant leaves
  • tubers
  • shoots
  • stalks
  • insects
  • other primates (occasionally)
Yes, I like dandelion stalks/stems. As for tubers, I have to say they are a very good food source in some areas, but you have to dig to get them, kinda like with dandelion roots.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
The best food I found in nature were willow tree catkin buds.

Catkin develops from buds into green catkin then it becomes flower catkin.

Bud catkins are easiest to chew, and willow bud catkins have taste somewhat similar to hazelnuts.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
What I forgot to mention is that dandelion flowers and tree catkins contain pollen which can be extracted in two ways:

1. By shaking catkins, which then release pollen.

2. By placing dandelion flowers or tree catkins in bucket of water. This produces pollen water after a day. Just dont close bucket completely, cover it with something, but it must have opening for air.
Sidewalker
Debates: 8
Sidewalker
If nuclear war happens it's best to go with Door Dash.
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
I don't think this is going to be useful for a nuclear war. Maybe for the economic crisis that is around the corner, but not for the nuclear war that I think it will never happen because the fkn aliens guaranteed that.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@IlDiavolo
I guess its unlikely that nuclear war happens, but historically people used these foods to extend food supply.

Maybe its not needed now when obesity is bigger problem than starvation, but its better to be ready.

When there are food stamps, person doesnt need to care for food as much. Food is basically free.

I am interested in nature's way, because you never know if society will collapse, economically, civil wars, wars...
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Best.Korea
Natural food is no good if it is radioactive.

Though I am of the opinion that everything that occurs within a Universe at any given moment, is naturally occurring.

So radioactive food and subsequent death would be natural.