Biblical Context

Author: Owen_T

Total: 14
Owen_T
Debates: 25
Owen_T
Christians:  Bible verses only sound cruel when taken out of context.

Joshua 6:21
  • Verse: "They devoted the city to the Lord and destroyed with the sword every living thing in it—men and women, young and old, cattle, sheep, and donkeys."
Ezekiel 9:5-6
  • Verse: "As I listened, he said to the others, 'Follow him through the city and kill, without showing pity or compassion. Slaughter the old men, the young men and women, the mothers and children..."
Numbers 31:17-18
  • Verse: "Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man."
1 Samuel 15:3
  • Verse: "Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys."

Okay Christians, what's the context for those verses?
Best.Korea
Debates: 331
Best.Korea
-->
@Owen_T
Slaughter the old men, the young men and women, the mothers and children
You are taking it out of context. Are there any situations where sane person would act like that?
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Owen_T
Follow him through the city and kill, without showing pity or compassion. Slaughter the old men, the young men and women, the mothers and children
Those are words of Jesus, according to Christians. What a merciful caring loving God. Clearly you dont understand the Bible.
Sidewalker
Debates: 8
Sidewalker
"But as for these enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over thembring them here and kill them in front of me." - Jesus Christ
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@Owen_T
This is why I pick Albert Einstein over Rev. Jim Bakker.
The word 'God' is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation, no matter how subtle, can (for me) change this.” -Albert Einstein
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Owen_T
Okay Christians, what's the context for those verses?

Unless you have the lungs of a Polynesian pearl diver , don't hold your breath.

Watch this instead :  CONTEXT!
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
: "As I listened, he said to the others, 'Follow him through the city and kill, without showing pity or compassion. Slaughter the old men, the young men and women, the mothers and children..."
If Quran said this, they would say how Quran promotes violence. Bible is more violent than Quran, obviously.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Best.Korea
If Quran said this, they would say how Quran promotes violence. Bible is more violent than Quran, obviously.

As I have always maintained throughout my time here, BK.  The Old Testament and the Quran are as vile as one another. They are both books of war and conquest and at the behest of their respective "gods". Both promote extreme violence. The difference is that the New Testamant appears on the surface at least to promote love they neighbour and turn the other cheek. And Christianity has gone through a reformation, something Islam cannot do. 

Quran:
2:191 And kill them wherever you find them and expel them from wherever they have expelled youand fitnah [Persecution] is worse than killing. And do not fight them at al-Masjid al- Haram until they fight you there. But if they fight you, then kill them. Such is the recompense of the disbelievers.
2:192 And if they cease, then indeed, God is Forgiving and Merciful.
2:193 Fight them until there is no [more] fitnah [Persecution] and [until] worship is for God. But if they cease, then there is to be no aggression except against the oppressors.

Owen_T
Debates: 25
Owen_T
-->
@Stephen
Is the god of the new testament not the same god that commanded the slaughter of innocent infants in the old testament? Is god in the old testament not an all moral being and then became perfect and pro life after the resurrection?

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Owen_T
Is the god of the new testament not the same god that commanded the slaughter of innocent infants in the old testament?

Not to my knowledge, but it is what Christians like to believe and have others believe.  I have said many times that this is a rod the Christians have made for their own backs. They have adopted a god from a age they don't understand, from a culture they don't understand and from a society they don't understand. 

Is god in the old testament not an all moral being and then became perfect and pro life after the resurrection?

Not to my knowledge. 

YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@Owen_T
Joshua 6:21
  • Verse: "They devoted the city to the Lord and destroyed with the sword every living thing in it—men and women, young and old, cattle, sheep, and donkeys."
Next verse’s say,” “Meanwhile, Joshua said to the two spies, “Keep your promise. Go to the prostitute’s house and bring her out, along with all her family.” The men who had been spies went in and brought out Rahab, her father, mother, brothers, and all the other relatives who were with her. They moved her whole family to a safe place near the camp of Israel.”
‭‭Joshua‬ ‭6‬:‭22‬-23

So when the Bible says “ destroyed….every living thing in it”, it obviously makes an exception for this with the prostitute. So we have to assume that there is some leverage when we are talking about this attack on Jericho.

On top of this, the only command sanctioned by God, was to take the city. God did not specify the way in which they were supposed to do it (except for how to take down the walls). God did not say,” Go kill the women and children. So even if this was evil, (which it isn’t) then we still wouldn’t have an objection.

Ezekiel 9:5-6
Verse: "As I listened, he said to the others, 'Follow him through the city and kill, without showing pity or compassion. Slaughter the old men, the young men and women, the mothers and children..."
The chapter title for chapter 9 is:
The slaughter of the idolaters

Earlier in the chapter:
“He said to him, “Walk through the streets of Jerusalem and put a mark on the foreheads of all who weep and sigh because of the detestable sins being committed in their city.” Then I heard the Lord say to the other men, “Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all—old and young, girls and women and little children. But do not touch anyone with the mark. Begin right here at the Temple.” So they began by killing the seventy leaders.”
‭‭Ezekiel‬ ‭9‬:‭4‬-‭6‬ ‭NLT‬‬

God commanded them to kill all those who did have the mark on their forehead. The only ones without the mark on their forehead were the ones not looking at the sin in the city and detesting it. So people who are committing the sins. 

And when it comes to the women and children part, you have to understand culture back then. 

If I were to say to you,” We’re gonna destroy that football team” I don’t actually mean we are gonna destroy them. Rather I am being over dramatic to emphasize a point. 

Scholarly opinion for this chapter indicates that when God said,” Kill them all - old and young, girls and women and little children.” He is using emphatic language to emphasize the point of:

Kill everyone without a mark no matter what.

So we have no proof that any children died in this slaughter. The only people that died were idolaters. 

Numbers 31:17-18
Verse: "Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man."

I think this is a wrong thing to do. However Gods only command was to take revenge on the people. This whole part you quoted and after and a bit before was Moses’s doing. I’m not here to justify everything Moses has ever done. And that doesn’t have anything against scripture either.

1 Samuel 15:3
Verse: "Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys."
This one is a tricky one I’ll give you that. But this story in of itself requires A LOT of context so this could be a topic in of itself.

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@YouFound_Lxam

"Sorcerers and shapeshifters" was your last argument on this topic, I look forward to your expounding on same. 
YouFound_Lxam
Debates: 32
YouFound_Lxam
-->
@ludofl3x
All past arguments from different forums I can’t claim to understand full context, nor do I admit to agree with myself with the old content. I don’t know if you saw my abortion forum, but I stated I am back with new opinions. 
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@YouFound_Lxam
Awesome, I'm looking forward to hearing more about them! Best thing about being people is we can learn new stuff and change our minds, opinions and stances.