DART Book Reccomendations

Author: Owen_T

Total: 14
Owen_T
Debates: 25
Owen_T
This topic is for recommending your favorite books. 

My hope is that this thread will be continuously active as  people mention any great books they've read. 
Trent0405
Debates: 33
Trent0405
Currently reading through Why Nations Fail for a second time. I think it is a great book and would recommend it to anyone with the slightest interest in history, politics, or economics. I currently have 12000 words worth of notes on the book. I also recently read Sapiens, which was also good, but not as entertaining as I thought it would be.

My favourite fiction book is probably The Man in The High Castle, though, I seldom read fiction.
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Owen_T
Start with the good stuff:

Atlas Shrugged
The Fountainhead
Silmarilion
The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings

Things you should probably read as a human being:

logoi sokratikoi
Plato's republic
Corpus Aristotelicum
The bible (old and new)
Tripitaka
Mahabharata

I did read a considerable portion of the Koran but found no unique significance.

Scifi:

Everything by Issac Asimov with special focus on the robots & Bailey series and then the foundation series.
Larry Niven, but especially known space and especially Ringworld and the surrounding context of the puppeteers. Kzinti are fun but not really important to the overall epic.
Liu Cixin
Best.Korea
Debates: 331
Best.Korea
-->
@Owen_T
I have read plenty of books in my life, but only few were actually good and worthy of reading. Other people will just recommend you boring books, but I will recommend you books that are actually fun:

1. White Fang (by Jack London)

Jack London is one of the best writers in history, and White Fang is his greatest work.

It tells a story from a perspective of an animal, all the cruelty of life, all the little joys and all the injustice.
It talks of forming and breaking bonds, of allies turning into enemies, of people being conditioned into violence.

2. Harry Potter series

If you havent read Harry Potter books, it is highly recommended that you do. They are one of the best series ever written.

3. "Native son" and "Black boy" by Richard Wright

Books about the struggle of black person in society dominated by abuse and injustice based on race.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Owen_T
If you want a book about debating, there is

"Win every argument" by Mehdi Hasan.

Its a new book written in 2023. It has lots of fun stuff in it.
Moozer325
Debates: 13
Moozer325
-->
@Owen_T
Just got through the whole Lord of the Ribgs Trilogy.

It’s a pretty big undertaking but it’s worth it IMO.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
@Owen_T
1} 5 Stars *****..' Critical Path ' ...Bucky Fuller ..1981

Critical Path Method....." One of CPM’s prime success stories is its use in the Apollo 11 Project, which landed two men on the moon on July 20, 1969. NASA used the CPM to help determine an efficient schedule for 2 million tasks that led to the moon landing."..

On front cover of the book is the person listed { Kiyoshi Kuromiya } as s 'adjunct ' for writing of Critical Path and Fullers books was done by

..."  Kiyoshi Kuromiya (May 9, 1943 – May 10, 2000) was a Japanese-American author and civil rights, anti-war, gay liberation, and HIV/AIDS activist. "..

2} 5 Stars ***** Ten books in this series' Nine Princes of Amber ' { 1970 }...Roger Zelazny
.." Stephen Colbert is joining the team that is adapting Roger Zelazny’s “The Chronicles of Amber” for television " ..LINK

3} 1 Star *....My first love of books, --tho poorly written and so repetitive { 180 novels printed }--- was Doc Savage.

.." The Code of Doc Savage Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage. Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens and my associates in everything I say and do. Let me do right to all, and wrong no man ".

..." Ronald Pierce Ely (born June 21, 1938) is an American actor and novelist born in Hereford, Texas, and raised in Amarillo. Hereford, Texas, U.S. Ely is best known for having portrayed Tarzan in the 1966–1968 NBC series Tarzan and for playing the lead role in the film Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze (1975). "...

.."‘Doc Savage’ TV Series in the Works From ‘Fast & Furious’ Producer
Hollywood has long been interested in adapting pulp hero Doc Savage to the screen, but even though various movie versions have been in the works over the years, it seems like the Man of Bronze is heading to television instead. Sony Pictures Television is developing a Doc Savage TV series from Condé Nast Entertainment and […]"...

4} 3 Stars *** ' Ringworld ' Larry Niven as already mentioned

6} 3 Stars **** ' Dhalgren '...1975
.." Dhalgren is a 1975 science fiction novel by American writer Samuel R. Delany. It features an extended trip to and through Bellona, a fictional city in the American Midwest cut off from the rest of the world by an unknown catastrophe. It is number 33 on the 20th Century's Greatest Hits: 100 English-Language Books of Fiction list. "...

thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
-->
@Owen_T
Lonesome Dove is huge but incredibly beautiful. I think about that book at least once a week. 

It’s cliche, but Blood Meridian has the reputation it does for a reason. There’s no greater villain than The Judge. Personally I thought it was kind of a slog mixed with writing that was so good I didn’t believe it was even possible to write like that, and then the ending absolutely slapped. 

The Flashman series. Hilarious and actually great for casually learning history. 

Akenfield- this is my all time favorite non fiction book.  It’s a series of interviews with, for lack of a better word, peasants in an English village in the mid 1960s. The overwhelming sense you get reading it is a window into a vanished society and way of life, which is both good and bad. Even though it’s technically well past that timeframe listening to some of the old people talk gives you a good idea of what the past several thousand years of life constantly on the edge of a Malthusian disaster was like. 

Children of Time- extremely good hard(ish) science fiction, that was probably the last time I blew off work to read like 150 pages in one night. Didn’t hold up upon re read when I knew what would happen but I think if you go into it blind you’re in for a treat 

Only if you have a kid- The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Bleak, but beautiful ending. Think about a lot. Doesn’t hit the same if you don’t have a kid but is still good 

12 days later

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Trent0405
 I seldom read fiction.

Me neither unless it has bee bought for me by family.

But A Song Of Ice And Fire was something I couldn't put down.  It a shame the author (George R. R. Martin) decided to take the piss and leave is adoring fans high and dry without an ending which I believe was supposed to be titled- Wind of Winter. 
Trent0405
Debates: 33
Trent0405
-->
@Stephen
Yeah, I'm sure those books are good. The only issue I have with fiction is that it is purely for entertainment, and there are so many better ways of entertaining yourself. I would much rather play a video game or watch a movie/YT video than read. Non fiction is different because I at least feel like I'm learning, which makes the experience feel more productive.

I read the first Hunger Games  when I was 13, and I liked it. But after watching the movie for Catching Fire, I remember thinking that I would never want to read the sequel, and what do you know, I have watched all the Hunger Games movies (even the rather regrettable Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes), but I have still only read the one book. In this case, like many others, fiction books just could not compete with cinema.

Maybe you look for certain things in fiction books that allow them to stand out in the sea of other entertainment mediums?

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Stephen
It was hilarious to see (once again) how terrible Hollywood screen writers are as they tried vainly to finish it.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
It was hilarious to see (once again) how terrible Hollywood screen writers are as they tried vainly to finish it.

It was terrible. Certainly from half way through season 4 where it simply subverted the whole story from there on.  Its a shame because the books are a brilliant piece of work. I would have gone as far to say a masterpiece but Martin seems to have abandoned it all together leaving so many loose ends ....... and his loyal fans high and dry.  The House of The Dragon is just a pile of steaming woke shite , too.

7 days later

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
Asenath Mason books are very cool.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
Also:

"Anthology of Sorcery"