A comfortable lie, or an uncomfortable truth?

Author: n8nrgim

Total: 19
n8nrgim
Debates: 0
n8nrgim
Which would you rather have? Im mostly curious how many would say a comfortable lie
Best.Korea
Debates: 324
Best.Korea
Comfortable lie
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@n8nrgim

An uncomfortable truth.
njk25
Debates: 6
njk25
It Depends 
DavidAZZ
DavidAZZ
-->
@n8nrgim
An uncomfortable truth.  A lie will always catch up with you.  A truth can help you see life better, regardless of how bad it is.
sadolite
sadolite
Lies lead directly to the truth. Doesn't matter what you choose, the truth will kick your guts in and disembowel you eventually.
MarkWebberFan2
MarkWebberFan2
Lies to all the strangers that I meet irl. Because I like providing false first impressions.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@DavidAZZ
An uncomfortable truth.  A lie will always catch up with you.  A truth can help you see life better, regardless of how bad it is.

you will slowly go blind

lose your hearing

become less mobile

weaker and more forgetful

this is inevitable
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@njk25
It Depends 
no kidding
DavidAZZ
DavidAZZ
-->
@3RU7AL
. . .this is inevitable
Also true, but now you can prepare for it instead of being blind-sided by it.

I suppose others would enjoy ignorance, though.

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@3RU7AL
@n8nrgim
@DavidAZZ
Take note of some common { unity? } agreement for an uncomfortable truth in this thread.  Why is that?

1} Absolute truths,

2} Relative truths,

3} False narrative mixed in with above 1 and/or 2.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@DavidAZZ
ask yourself three questions

(1) where does your food come from ?

(2) where do the cops get their guns ?

(3) where does your fuel and power come from ?

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@n8nrgim
Always the truth.

You can't know whether a falsehood will be comfortable unless you know the truth.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
You can't know whether a falsehood will be comfortable unless you know the truth.

that's like saying you can't know whether a bed will be comfortable unless you first try sleeping on a rock
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@3RU7AL
that's like saying you can't know whether a bed will be comfortable unless you first try sleeping on a rock
No it is not, although there is some truth to that statement as well.

If sleeping is the act of exercising an epistemology (logic in my case) then sleeping cannot be redone or undone to cure the analogy.

If "the rock" is knowledge and "the bed" is ignorance, then sleeping on the rock gives you knowledge of what it would be like to sleep on the bed and sleeping on the bed gives you no knowledge of what it would be like sleeping on the bed.

Those with knowledge might suspect they would have been happier without it, but they cannot return themselves to ignorance. Those who choose ignorance from the start may suspect they would be happier if they were enlightened but they would have no way to know that. (They can't just take someone's word for it either, that is knowledge about the truth)

The idea is a phantom. The only real choice is to be ignorant and thus powerless or to be enlightened and thus potentially potent.

Rather than a rock and a bed, you have two doors leading to two sleeping spots. Both might be rocks. Both might be beds. One might be a bed while the other a rock. The choice in question is whether you know what is behind the doors before you choose one.

If both are rocks then you might lose hope, but you have not lost a comfortable sleeping spot.

If both are beds, then you would have been just as happy in ignorance but you have lost nothing.

If however you know that one is a bed and one is a rock you can make a choice to seek comfort and your knowledge gave you power over your destiny, which as it happens (evolution and stuff) makes our brains much happier than anything else in the universe.
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@n8nrgim
Uncomfterable truth.  I even prefer an uncomfortable truth to a euphemism.  I would rather be told, "You're fired" than, "We have to let you go due to poor behavior".  It's how I plan on treating other people.  Their feelings got hurt?  I don't care; you fucked up; you deserve to have your feelings hurt.  Your pain is my pleasure.  Euphemisms insult my intelligence; it implies I can't figure out what it means on my own.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@3RU7AL
@ADreamOfLiberty
3RU....you will slowly go blind....lose your hearing.....become less mobile.....weaker and more forgetful

I remember when they use to say that about masturbation.

Now they say it about aging. :--)) o ((--:

Old minds never die, the just fall of the track and get lost a field of ....!@#$%^&*(.......

Eternally absolute cosmic principles are their to be accessed by those with the ability seperate all of wavy fields of this, that and the other to find the relevant significance to question.

Dreamlib....If however you know that one is a bed and one is a rock you can make a choice to seek comfort and your knowledge gave you power over your destiny, which as it happens (evolution and stuff) makes our brains much happier than anything else in the universe.

Orgasm makes my brain and body very happy, or, in a state of mild euphoria{?}, or whatever that feeling is.

I once snorted a white powder substance and they told me it is ' Angel Dust '. ---" What Is Phencyclidine (PCP)?
People most often take this drug to chase the high that can make you feel detached from your body. "...

This was the most intense, 30 minutes of euphoria ive ever experienced,  and the come down was equally the worst mental-body  experience from a substance I ever had.

Angel Dust/PCP was like an orgasm^3, to the 2nd or 3rd powering.  That come down was enough to scare me off from ever wanting to do that substance again. Thank God for that!
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
The idea is a phantom. The only real choice is to be ignorant and thus powerless or to be enlightened and thus potentially potent.

well, the "reality" of impending death, dismemberment, disease, loss of friends and family, and general disaster

can get a bit tedious
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@3RU7AL
The idea is a phantom. The only real choice is to be ignorant and thus powerless or to be enlightened and thus potentially potent.
well, the "reality" of impending death, dismemberment, disease, loss of friends and family, and general disaster

can get a bit tedious
If you knew of none, you would encounter them faster.