Uh how easy it is to produce your own food if you have your land?

Author: Best.Korea

Total: 13
Best.Korea
Debates: 324
Best.Korea
I have 15 chickens and they give me about 8 to 12 eggs per day.

Now, I cant even eat that many eggs. At best, I can eat 4 eggs per day, and thats if I tried.

I decided for free range, so I feed them much less.

Google sites recommend 100 grams of feed per chicken per day, but I only feed about 50 grams per chicken.

I give to 15 chickens about 700 grams of food, which usually includes just wheat and corn.

Now, I have tried feeding them grass seeds, and they seem to eat them, its just that collecting grass seeds is lots of work, so I decide to instead use feed.

Chickens can also eat raspberries.

Of course, I would prefer to have sheep because I like milk more than I like eggs. I sell most of the eggs, and sure, there is some nice profit to be made especially after I limited bought food and let chickens forage for insects and whatever they find on land.
DavidAZZ
Debates: 0
DavidAZZ
-->
@Best.Korea
I have chickens and ducks.  It may be best to trade neighbors that don't have chickens but do agriculture and you can ask for feed for eggs.
sadolite
sadolite
If you intend to grow your own food be prepared to eat the same few things everyday day in and day out. Most people couldn't grow their own food because its to hard. (labor intensive)
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@sadolite
Most people couldn't grow their own food because its to hard.
I gave up on growing plant food.

Getting food from animals is much easier.

I do have trees planted. And raspberries. They grow on their own. 

But plants such as vegetables and grains take lots of work and I never get that much from them compared to work I put in.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@DavidAZZ
Corn and wheat is so cheap to buy. I dont think my neighbors would agree to give me at a lower price than what I buy. I mean, they would be stupid to do that lol.

But I am not in good relations with my neighbors.
DavidAZZ
DavidAZZ
-->
@Best.Korea
But I am not in good relations with my neighbors
Hmmm. . .  do you live near me?

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@DavidAZZ
Hmmm. . .  do you live near me?
Lol 

WyIted
Debates: 27
WyIted
I understand you can grow potatoes in very little space and so between the eggs and the potatoeyou should be good if you take a multi vitamin.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@WyIted
I did have lots of luck with potatoes, but its still also lots of work compared to some other options.

I think the easiest possible way is raspberries + fruit trees + nut trees + some farm animals.

That way, you get lots of food while not doing much work.

The only problem is the starting investment with animals. It costs a lot at start, and pays off later over time.

Even with chickens, you still have to have shelter built for them, which is somewhat expensive, and your land needs a fence.

The easiest animal to farm is probably rabbit, but I have too many issues with slaughtering animals. I wouldnt be able to do it.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Best.Korea
Hunter gathering.

We tried that once. 

But found alternative solutions.
MarkWebberFan2
MarkWebberFan2
The only bad thing with animals is that they stink. It's even worse when you clean them because parasites would crawl all over you . I could still smell the cow that my family had when I was a child. It was disgusting.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@MarkWebberFan2
Free range animals stink less.

If you keep animal in one place all the time, it will poop all over the place, and then you have to clean huge amounts of poop.
MarkWebberFan2
MarkWebberFan2
-->
@Best.Korea
Fair enough. My parents were possessive over their animals. If i remember correctly, they weren't keen on sending them to a vet.  But I think I cleaned my animals following human hygiene standards, and that probably contributed a bit to their stress level, which allowed parasites to thrive. Although they were clean on the outside, they were still dirty on the inside. Shows you what I know i guess.