Ace Attorney Mafia Endgame

Author: Casey_Risk

Total: 48
Casey_Risk
Debates: 3
Casey_Risk
With the mafia at parity with the town...

IT'S A MAFIA VICTORY!

Mafia:

• Whiteflame - You are Kazuma Asogi! You’re a star student at Yumei University and an all-around cool dude, though you’re a bit on the edgy side. You always carry around a katana called Karuma. You are the Ninja. If you carry out the factional Night Kill, it will be invisible to any investigative roles. You win with the Mafia.
  • Moozer [Replaced by Earth before the start of the game] - You are Ryunosuke Naruhodo! You traveled to London, the capital of the British Empire, where you practiced law in the legendary Old Bailey courthouse and became the great ace attorney! You do good things… but you’re still a lawyer in the end, and you know all those lawyer jokes, right? You are the Mafia JOAT - 1x Lawyer, 1x Redirector, 1x Roleblocker, 1x Stalker, 1x Janitor. You may use one or two of your abilities on any night, but you cannot use any ability more than once. You win with the Mafia.
    • Lawyer - You may target yourself or your mafia partner. The one you target will investigate as innocent for that night only
    • Redirector - You may redirect any and all actions directed at one player towards another instead.
    • Roleblocker - You may block a player from using any actions during the night you use this ability.
    • Stalker - You may learn the character and role of any player.
    • Janitor - If the player you target dies during the night you target them, only the mafia will learn their character and role.
Town:

• Mharman - You are Phoenix Wright! You are the famous bluffing defense attorney who always finds a way to win, even when all seems hopeless. You’ve saved many clients over the years, including ones who likely would have received the death penalty if found guilty. You are the 2x Doctor. Once per night, you may choose to save someone. That player cannot be killed that NP. You may only use this ability twice in total. You win with the Town.
  • Savant - You are Athena Cykes! You were born with super sensitive hearing that allows you to hear the discord in people’s hearts. When you were young, a friend of yours confessed to a terrible crime, but you knew he was innocent. It’s one of the things that inspired you to become a defense attorney. You are the 1x Magistrate. Once per game, you may visit someone during the night. That player cannot be lynched the following DP. You win with the Town.
  • Luna - You are Ema Skye! You were raised primarily by your older sister, a police detective. Her job caused you to become interested in forensic science from a young age. It became your dream to grow up to be a forensic investigator. You are the Tracker. Once per night, you may choose to track someone. You will learn who that player visited that night. You win with the Town.
  • Wylted - You are Mia Fey, a lawyer and a mentor to Phoenix Wright! Unfortunately, you die very shortly after being introduced. Fortunately, you grew up in a clan of spirit mediums, and your younger sister and cousin channel your spirit whenever Phoenix needs help. You are the Restless Spirit. If you die, you may still vote the following DP. You may not send any messages, and you may only Unvote once. You win with the Town.
  • Austin - You are Maya Fey! The younger sister of Phoenix Wright’s mentor, Mia, you become Wright’s close companion. It’s good for you that you become close friends with a defense attorney, because you get falsely accused of murder several times. Seriously, it happens a lot, to the point that it’s a meme among the fandom that you probably are guilty of some actual murder since you keep getting accused of it. You are the Odd-night Miller. You investigate as guilty on odd-numbered night phases. You win with the Town.
  • Owen - You are Pearl Fey! You’re a spirit channeling prodigy, as well as being just a sweet, adorable little kid. You are the DP4 Innocent Child. If you survive to the start of DP4, your affiliation will be mod-confirmed. You win with the Town.
  • JoeBob - You are the Judge! He’s never given an actual name, but everyone knows him. He’s an old geezer who can be a bit naive at times, but he always makes the right decision in the end. You are the 1x Justice. Once per game, you may choose two players to visit at night. You will learn whether the two players you investigated have the same alignment or two different alignments. You win with the Town.

Casey_Risk
Casey_Risk
Night Actions

NP1:

Mafia:
    • Earth Lawyers himself
    • Earth Redirects Savant to Whiteflame
    • Whiteflame Ninja Kills JoeBob
    Town:
    • Mharman protects himself
    • Savant pardons Lunatic (Redirected to Whiteflame)
    • JoeBob investigates Savant and Earth (No Result – killed)
    • Lunatic tracks Mharman (Result: Mharman visited himself)
    NP2:

Mafia:

• Earth Stalks Austin
    • Whiteflame Ninja Kills Lunatic
    Town:

• Lunatic tracks Whiteflame (No result – killed)
    Mharman
    Debates: 23
    Mharman
    Odd-night Miller.
    whiteflame
    Debates: 27
    whiteflame
    Frankly, I'm shocked Austin wasn't lynched sooner. The dogpile on Owen was shockingly fast, and I even outright in the DP said something like that was likely to happen if we rushed to a lynch. And then you guys put Earth and me in the driver's seat for DP2, which surprised both of us. I guess Austin's lynch was kind of inevitable in DP3, but I still expected to have to fight for it.

In any case, had fun playing with Earth and I think the setup was solid from Casey and Pie, so props to them. Now I'm never going to be townread again without a solidly alignment confirmable role.
    whiteflame
    whiteflame
    Also, just glad we got to finish this out. Would've been a crying shame if the site had just stayed down. It's good to be on here again.
    Casey_Risk
    Casey_Risk
    So, that was a really interesting game with a very anticlimactic ending. There's a reason you don't rush to a vote at MYLO/LYLO, folks. (And for the record, it was LYLO, not MYLO).

The town had some real lucky breaks that game. There was Wylted accusing Austin and basically town-confirming himself in the process, the scum team somehow not picking up on the massive hints that Luna was an investigative role, leading to Lunatic tracking Mharman and seeing that he self-visited, confirming them both, and with Savant confirming that he was the magistrate, there was only a narrow PoE of Austin, WF, and Earth, as both Savant and Mharman picked up on.

Unfortunately, Austin went for a crazy fake Dreamer claim as part of a town gambit that ended up backfiring horribly. Mharman was wrong about Austin being scum, but he was wrong for all the right reasons. Austin, please do not do that as town again.

All in all, I think the scum team played pretty well this game, though in my opinion they made some strategic errors NP1 when they (1) failed to pick up on Luna being an investigator and (2) used the Redirect early instead of saving it to use on a protective/investigative role. That's the sort of thing that a Redirector is made for, especially a one-shot Redirect like they had. Really, with so much confirmation going on, the town should have been able to pull an easy win, but there was too much infighting going on and the mafia pulled out a victory.

I was interested to see how the Justice would work in this game. Originally, I called it the "Judge", but Pie pointed out that there was already a role with that same name, so I just changed it to Justice. I think some people misunderstood how it worked -- it would tell you if two people have the same affiliation or not, but not what each player's affiliation actually is. It could be used on a confirmed player or a claimed Miller and another player to effectively be a 1x Cop, or it could be used on two suspicious players, perhaps leading to a situation where you know one is scum but you don't know for sure which, or a situation where you know they're either both scum or both town. I thought that could lead to some interesting play, but JoeBob ended up getting targeted before he could get and reveal his results, so I guess I won't know how it would have worked in this game.

All things considered, I feel like this game was pretty balanced, and I have Pie to thank for that. My original draft was definitely a bit town-sided.

BTW, the theme split was that the mafia characters come from the spinoff series The Great Ace Attorney, set in Meiji-era Japan and Victorian London, while the town players are all from the mainline Ace Attorney series, set in the 21st century.

GG everyone!
    Casey_Risk
    Casey_Risk
    -->
    @AustinL0926
    @Savant
    @WyIted
    @JoeBob
    @Owen_T
    Endgame thread up!
    Casey_Risk
    Casey_Risk
    -->
    @Earth
    @Lunatic
    We're in the Endgame now
    Mharman
    Mharman
    That was pretty dumb. Austin, please don’t do that again.

Still, I wonder if that read was findable for me. I had all the right reasons for Austin not being Dreamer, I just interpreted all of the intentions as scummy. It makes sense now: Austin wasn’t doing the gambit properly because he wasn’t in the mindset of an actual dreamer, not because he was scum, but because he was a miller trying to get NKed. Something I’ll keep in mind if anyone else wants to try something that stupid. 

I don’t think the plan was that good though. Even if mafia believed the dreamer they wouldn’t have needed to kill it, given that they could just disturb it and kill someone else. This was always going to leave Austin in a position where he had to either double down, or full claim for real immediately and hope town believes him. I think if his first post of DP2 was the full miller claim before I locked on to him, I may have believed him.

I think we could’ve gotten Whiteflame and Earth had that not happened… I wouldn’t have as much FOS on me and neither would Austin. I read both Earth and Whiteflame’s souls and incorrectly believed one of them had to be town because of my read on Austin.

But they, that’s the positive for me. I feel like my town play is improving a lot and I took a monumental leap forward from DP1 to DP2 of this game alone. I’m excited to see how my next town game goes.

GG.
    Earth
    Debates: 4
    Earth
    Town definitely slept on WF for far too long for some reason. I don't even think WF had to fake claim. We had the theme down before the game started and for our character picks, we chose Godot and Simon. 
    Lunatic
    Lunatic
    earth and Whiteflame are gnarly as a team. Seriously. 2/2 as a duo.

Congrats and good game. 

Sorry for the mislynch mharman, I outwifomed myself. But it looks like so did the people on Austin’s wagon, so GG. Mafia played well.
    WyIted
    WyIted
    Why didn't you just lynch Austin. Why did you actually have a preference in which town member got lynched this is not making sense. 

Also my bad
    Lunatic
    Lunatic
    -->
    @Mharman
    @AustinL0926
    Not to avoid responsibility or anything but when I asked both parties who they thought could be scum I was genuinely getting the feeling both of you were town. It was the fact that both of you doubled down on each other so hard that made me decide that one of the two of you had to be actual scum since no one seemed willing to consider someone outside of each other for that day phase.
    Lunatic
    Lunatic
    -->
    @WyIted
    You did the same thing bruh
    Savant
    Savant
    Looks like the game ended before I even got online.
    whiteflame
    whiteflame
    -->
    @WyIted
    The way I saw it, there were better odds of us winning out in DP3 if Austin was still on the table than if Mharman was. We were pretty sure we could get someone to vote for Austin, a lot less sure of the vote on Mharman after people had had an NP to think it through. If not, we were pretty convinced we could get Austin to vote Savant. Also, we had a read that proved correct that Austin was the Miller (one of the roles we asked about before the game), so we were considering ways to use that to our advantage.
    WyIted
    WyIted
    -->
    @Lunatic
    I am town of course I prefer the lynch on Austin who is unknown when mharman looks like definite town, but not sure why scum would lynch the person they look more scummy for lynching than Austin who they could make up legitimate reasons for
    Lunatic
    Lunatic
    -->
    @Savant
    You would have voted austin
    Lunatic
    Lunatic
    -->
    @WyIted
    Seemed to work out pretty well for them eh?
    Savant
    Savant
    -->
    @Lunatic
    No, I would have voted whiteflame and reloaded constantly while being prepared to submit an "Unvote" on my other device. If Earth and Austin had attempted to hammer, they would be confirmed as the scum team. Otherwise, WF is confirmed scum. The reason I would vote WF and not Austin is that I've used that trick on WF before and he wouldn't fall for it twice.
    Lunatic
    Lunatic
    -->
    @Savant
    Mhmm
    Lunatic
    Lunatic
    -->
    @WyIted
    Are you going next? If not lmk. I have a really fun idea for a game but I just went so I have no problem waiting for a few if so.
    Mharman
    Mharman
    -->
    @ILikePie5
    @Casey_Risk
    Great setup btw. I think it’s still a bit townsided because of how much confirmable stuff town has, which forces mafia to pick between trying to counter the confirmability or town’s utility.

But like a seesaw balanced on the center bar, you can place on object one side and the seesaw wouldn’t tilt either way, as long as the object is close enough to the center. No one gets it perfect and this setup is the quality I like to see.
    Savant
    Savant
    -->
    @Lunatic
    I said I was going to vote WF if he voted Mharman. Presumably, he thought I was bluffing.
    Mharman
    Mharman
    -->
    @Lunatic
    Fair enough. I don’t blame myself for this result though; I blame Austin. He’s not bad, but that whole thing was ridiculous. I may have been able to catch the whole miller thing if I thought more about the logical consequences of him being town and trying all that, but that’s something I’m only going to blame myself for if I don’t find it in a future game.
    whiteflame
    whiteflame
    -->
    @Savant
    No, I would have voted whiteflame and reloaded constantly while being prepared to submit an "Unvote" on my other device. If Earth and Austin had attempted to hammer, they would be confirmed as the scum team. Otherwise, WF is confirmed scum. The reason I would vote WF and not Austin is that I've used that trick on WF before and he wouldn't fall for it twice.
    I honestly figured as much. You're right that I wouldn't have fallen for it if you'd done it the other way around, but yes, I expected you to VTL me. You're the only one I was pretty certain would be on me from the outset, just thought I could convince you to vote Austin in the end.

ILikePie5
    ILikePie5
    Ya the Austin miller claim was just an unnecessary distraction
    Lunatic
    Lunatic
     I still townread austin, I don't really blame him for his decision. With the whole "policy lynch miller" thing we do on this site, I think I would also lie about my role. Maybe in a different way, but I respect the hustle.
    Lunatic
    Lunatic
    -->
    @Casey_Risk
    Great job for first time as mafia host btw. Despite the result, I had fun, and it was a good concept.
    Casey_Risk
    Casey_Risk
    -->
    @Lunatic
    Thank you! It was a lot of fun to put together and watch as well.