Winner selection in rated debates

Author: Tejretics

Total: 10
Tejretics
Debates: 9
Tejretics
Why does winner selection not work in rated debates? Winner selection is clearly superior -- but even if you don’t think it is, I might think it is, and I should have the ability to have a rated debate with the “choose winner” system.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 172
Intelligence_06
-->
@Tejretics
Bring back rated debates without restrictions. Make it default, heck, like back in the good old 2010s. The change to avert such a way of life is why I am not as active as like 3 years ago. You could say good riddance if you think I am being blasphemous, but trust me, and trust yourself, it is not just me.

I feel like all the tampering with who can or cannot debate, what can debates use and not use, etc... are on behalf of a crowd that doesn't exist, in which most members within the "protection" are lingerers who leave after three viewings of this sight.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Tejretics
SELF-MODERATED DEBATE IS VASTLY SUPERIOR
WyIted
Debates: 27
WyIted
Some people would say that debate is about more than just the actual arguments presented and the multiple criteria remind debaters to address the other parts of debate that are important but also forgotten. 

Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@WyIted
And some would say that debate should be judged holistically rather by an arbitrary checklist. Simple solution: leave it up to people's choice.

The removal of rated debates as a default, the addition of random silly arbitrary criteria to rated debates, etc. has made “ratings” utterly meaningless if they weren’t already. 
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@Intelligence_06
Strongly agree. This is tremendously silly. 
WyIted
Debates: 27
WyIted
-->
@Tejretics
And some would say that debate should be judged holistically rather by an arbitrary checklist. Simple solution: leave it up to people's choice.
So your solution for judging a debate holistically is to take judging it according to a variety of factors and then replacing that with judging it by a single factor? 

The checklist increases the odds that more than just arguments is looked at. Winner selection will most likely result in, o ly the quality of the arguments being looked at
Savant
Debates: 23
Savant
-->
@Intelligence_06
Bring back rated debates without restrictions
I think the restrictions are to avoid farming new players. Actually makes sense imo.
Best.Korea
Debates: 324
Best.Korea
-->
@Tejretics
Why does winner selection not work in rated debates?
It does.

Just make the rule that all points go to the one who wins arguments.

Best.Korea
Debates: 324
Best.Korea
-->
@Savant
I think the restrictions are to avoid farming new players. Actually makes sense imo.
Yes. Before the rule, some top debaters used to endlessly farm new users. I dont know how beneficial for the site was it to ban new users from rated debates, but here we are. I cant say I miss watching debaters getting elo from 40 debates vs new accounts and gaining wins mostly from poorly worded topics by avoiding the actual intended meaning of the topic and focusing on semantics.

At least this way, people will only gain elo by debating someone who has at least 3 debates or something.

Its not a perfect system, of course, I think it even decreased activity a bit in debate section, but at least it removed the obvious corruption and maybe even enabled a more honest debates.