The limits of human memorization

Author: JoeBob

Total: 9
JoeBob
Debates: 3
JoeBob
Let me give some backstory before I talk about the main thing
In speedcubing, the first method you learn is the beginners method. Once you learn that and you wanna get faster, you would learn one of three main methods:
CFOP, roux, and ZZ.
CFOP and ZZ both are solving the cubes differently, but they both have a similar method to solve the last step. It is way more complicated and should only be learnt if you wanna know more ways to solve the cube faster.
It’s called ZBLL.
Let’s take a look at CFOP. 4 steps. Solve the cross, finish the first two layers, make the top face the same color, and solve the rest of the cube.
The last two steps have around 80 algorithms. Some as short as a couple moves and some as high as 20+. It took me 1 month to learn it all.
ZBLL combines the last two steps, into one.
It is 493 algorithms, all of them very long. And yet some cubes have learnt it all. Not just learning the notation, but also recognition(using a certain alg for that case.)
I have no idea how they do this without forgetting at least some.

and yet even fewer cubers have learnt a better method.
ZB
Which combines the method I just talked about, with another method called ZBLS. 
ZB has 840 algorithms, almost double the previous.

It amazes me how some people have that good of memory plus muscle memory.

And while there are some people that have memorized tens of thousands of digits of pi, I find this more impressive because you have to do recognition plus remembering the algorithm.
Best.Korea
Debates: 324
Best.Korea
I was trying to improve my memory and reasoning by constantly focusing on 20 things at the same time.

I figured if my brain is forced to think about lots of things, then it would improve in some way.

However, my memory is very bad. Its so bad that unless I write something down, I usually forget it.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW
-->
@Best.Korea
Actually, having a bad memory is a sign of high intelligence. If you have a hard time remembering, it's a good indication that your brain is more focused on the essential things. Packing your brain full of memories for an exam or a business meeting is overrated and could harm your chances of success.
FLRW
FLRW

The brilliant Albert Einstein was notoriously a forgetful person. Nicknamed “The Absent-Minded Professor,” he could not remember his own address or phone number. He once boarded a train and could not find his ticket. The attendant recognized Einstein and told him he knew who he was, and he did not need a ticket.
Sidewalker
Debates: 8
Sidewalker
-->
@FLRW
The brilliant Albert Einstein was notoriously a forgetful person. Nicknamed “The Absent-Minded Professor,” he could not remember his own address or phone number. He once boarded a train and could not find his ticket. The attendant recognized Einstein and told him he knew who he was, and he did not need a ticket.
At Princeton he would forget where he lived, so he would go to the admin building pretending to be a tourist and ask if they could tell him where Albert Einstein's house was, apparently walking by to see his home was something of a tourist attraction.  It happened often enough that they made a map and kept copies at the front desk to give him.  He was the most famous scientist in history, and he didn't think they would recognize him at Princeton's front office, for years the office pretended they didn't know who he was.
Sidewalker
Debates: 8
Sidewalker
I just saw the world record being set on some news show, guy named Max Park did it in a time of 3.13 seconds....broke the previous record by like 19 seconds, it was freakish.

IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@FLRW
Actually, having a bad memory is a sign of high intelligence.
So your pal Biden is a very smart guy. 😁
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@IlDiavolo
So your pal Biden is a very smart guy. 😁

I doubt their pals, however, at 115 IQ  Biden is above average, so not your average Joe.

Top ten presidents with highest IQ's. John Quincy Adams tops the list. In modern times, A Lincolin { killed for being too smart } , J Kennedy { killed for being too smart }, Jimmy Carter { nuclear sub captain } and Bill Clinton { ladies like smart men? and balanced USA budget }. Oh yeah both Roosevelts.

JoeBob
Debates: 3
JoeBob
-->
@Sidewalker
I just saw the world record being set on some news show, guy named Max Park did it in a time of 3.13 seconds....broke the previous record by like 19 seconds, it was freakish.

Was more like half a second, but close enough

And what amazes me also is we have like 8-9 year olds from China beating everyone else.