"Intuitive" Religion

Author: Swagnarok

Total: 13
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
Perennial philosophy is the idea that all religious paths ultimately lead to the same God. Its origins can be traced to the 16th, 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries, when Christian Europe was exploring and colonizing foreign lands. It was discovered that Muslims worship one God, contrary to the Medieval belief that they worshiped Muhammad, or "Baphomet", as a deity akin to the Christian relationship to Christ. And they discovered that Hindus, nominally polytheists have a sort of esoteric belief in one great God who created everything, whose pursuit is arguably the true objective of Hinduism and which veneration of the lesser gods is a mere vehicle of.
It was shocking to them that parts of the world which were basically cut off from each other, thus developed independent religious traditions, had a convergent development toward a set of principles held in common by everyone. And so, it caused some thinkers to start asking questions, which led to perennial philosophy.

Anyway, this thread is about a related idea, though it concerns orthopraxy ("right practice") more than it does orthodoxy ("right belief"). It seems to me that different cultures all arrived at the same intuitive understanding of what religious practice ought to look like. Below is a probably not comprehensive list of tropes that can found across the world:

-The consecrated ones, the authorized functionaries of religion and special elites of the religious community. Tithes are paid to them and their institutions to which they belong by the community.

-Process of consecration. Which is the say, it's not enough that the consecrated ones exist, but they have strict notions of ritual purity that must be realized in order to be a "real" priest. A priest might be visibly distinct, such as shaving his head or wearing certain clothing or being circumcised or castrated. He might abstain from certain foods, or from sex or alcohol. The ritually pure may be called "holy". One is considered to have a greater degree of holiness if it costs more to enter that state, namely in terms of time and effort. Thus, as religions become better organized, the requirements on the consecrated ones grow more and more complicated. This also poses a barrier to entry for competitors who cannot match these requirements.

-The sacrifice. The institutions to which the consecrated ones belong, or "temples", perform a function pertaining to a god, which creates a bridge between men and the gods. A costlier sacrifice is considered more impactful. To prepare the priests who administer the sacrifice is in itself rather costly, but this usually means the forfeiture of a financially valuable asset. Priests can offer sacrifices on behalf of lay givers, usually of a more modest nature, or grand sacrifices on behalf of the nation which the religion serves, such as the white bulls slain in the Temple of Jupiter on behalf of Rome, or grand sacrifices on behalf of wealthy individuals, such as the Greek hecatomb (100 bulls). Depending on culture, the proceeds of this sacrifice may be administered to needy members of the community; for example, in many cultures the portion of the sacrifice which wasn't burnt up was served as a meal.

-Lay consecration. As a religion becomes better organized, the average citizen becomes a sort of mini-priest, being expected to uphold a fraction of the priest's holiness. For example, circumcision was practiced by priests in Ancient Egypt, but the Israelites made this a duty of all males. This creates a powerful in-group identity, which has helped the Jews remain as a cohesive group for thousands of years as a disaspora. Furthermore, when even the laity is holy, the small body of elites who go above and beyond this are the "holy of holies", and having such figures administer the sacrifices in the temple afford exceptional prestige to the god who that temple serves.

-Sacred texts. There may be a singular canon, such as the Bible for Protestants or the Qur'an for Muslims, or multiple sacred texts but some of which enjoy higher priority than others (e.g. the Bible for Catholics and the Torah for Jews). Rather than just considering that a sacred text contains true words, the physical copy may itself be an object of veneration, such as in Sikhism or Judaism, and manuscripts may be lavish and expensive, or have a heavy ritual element to their production so that the manuscript is itself a consecrated item. In folk religion, said physical copy may be an object used in divination. In some cultures, individuals who memorize said text may be persons of great honor.

-Sacred relics attached to holy places or people. For example, the tombs or bones of saints or water drawn from the wells of Zamzam (in Mecca). The act of going of pilgrimage to a sacred place may confer merit in the eyes of the gods.

-Holy elements, such as fire or freshwater without visible impurities, or sacred trees dedicated to a god. Conversely, sources of ritual impurity and defilement like feces, bodily fluids, or certain animals. Some traditions may have an eternally burning flame, such as Vesta in Rome or the Zoroastrian Fire Temples. Eastern Orthodoxy believes that a miraculous fire is lit annually in Jerusalem, and pieces of the fire are transported abroad for the benefit of the broader Orthodox world.

-Monasticism, which are communities dedicated to priest-level consecration without performing priestly functions for the wider community. These have sprung up in Christianity and the Indian religions, and Sufism has a quasi-monastic element to it.

-Liturgy in which the mass participates, either actively or passively. Chanting of hymns and recitation of prayers. In more developed religions, this often takes the place of the burnt offering.

-Repetitive prayer as a matter of private devotion. Prayer beads are used in Christianity, Islam, and the Indian religions, and have been found as artifacts of Bronze age cultures predating these religions.
Swagnarok
Swagnarok
So where am I going with this?

The evidence suggests that it's written on the hearts of men to develop and practice religions, and the forms of religion which come most naturally to men are the templates described above. Even if a religion starts out as a lofty intellectual construct (e.g. Buddhism), or the founder expressly discouraged several of the above (for instance, Jesus and repetitive prayer, Paul and asceticism), it will, within a few generations, morph into the above. Thus, orthopractically, religions tend to converge in the same general direction.

Psychology of religion is an important field for understanding the subject.  This field has tended to be dominated by atheists, which is why many theists distrust it, but one could use the insights provided to construct the "intuitive religion" of a generalized form, AKA the one common religion of mankind.

Which raises the question: why is there, in a manner of speaking, one common religion that people across the world know by pure intuition?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Swagnarok
Religion was a naive response to ignorance.

Still is I suppose.

Superman was always an obvious contender.
Best.Korea
Debates: 324
Best.Korea
-->
@Swagnarok
Well, sure, if you ignore all the differences between religions.

For example, Zeus is okay with gay sex.

So is Lord Satan.
WyIted
Debates: 27
WyIted
-->
@Swagnarok
I am impressed with the responses you got from high effort post thus far. 

I have a follow up question, with some background.

It seems that religion has the ability to spark rapid and lasting behavioral changes.

How could the above be systemized to my life so I can lose weight or add other discipline that is beneficial to my life? 
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@zedvictor4
Religion was a naive response to ignorance.

Nice.
Swagnarok
Swagnarok
-->
@WyIted
It seems that religion has the ability to spark rapid and lasting behavioral changes. How could the above be systemized to my life so I can lose weight or add other discipline that is beneficial to my life? 
You have to actually believe in it, though. Otherwise there's no benefit compared to a secular regimen to lead a disciplined lifestyle.

Also, it almost sounds like you're asking me for life advice when my personal life is a trainwreck, lol. If you want that, go offline and find some older person who's actually living a good life.
Swagnarok
Swagnarok
I'm day I'm gonna do the whole Programmatic Civicism thing for real, assuming I don't die young of a heart attack or whatnot. When that day comes, I'll have built a secular support network for everyone, and which I myself could also benefit from to fix my life. But until then, we'll have to suffice with hiring personal trainers or therapists.
WyIted
Debates: 27
WyIted
-->
@Swagnarok
Also, it almost sounds like you're asking me for life advice when my personal life is a trainwreck, lol. If you want that, go offline and find some older person who's actually living a good life.
I don't talk about it much here but I study cults pretty extensively because of their ability to change lives. Scientology, NXVIM, Level, etc.

The brain washing aspect is interesting but what I am really interested in is permanent switches in personality to radically alter behavior.

u have to actually believe in it, though. Otherwise there's no benefit compared to a secular regimen to lead a disciplined lifestyle.

Let's assume there is something to akin to "Khaos Magik" which can be used for self improvement, but before I do that let me share a concept I learned from a cult to make your life less chaotic.

I assume you have a lot of spinning plates. Just focus on one thing. It doesn't matter what it is. If you want to say focus on your work life, for example.

You focus on work, so you know to perform well you need energy and you know to get energy you need to Eat a healthy well balanced diet, exercise and get good sleep. Now by focusing on work you already solved 2 things in your life.

What else do you need at work? you need to dress well, practice good hygeine and have reliable transportation and good grooming habits. Now you have fixed your attractiveness to the other sex.

Maybe to fully relax so your night sleep is better for work you need a well ordered and organized home otherwise the psychological stress of that hurts you.

You can focus on any one thing and literally everything comes into focus.

Now let's go over how I could utilize what you discovered from religions to lose 20 pounds and keep a good physique.

-The consecrated ones, the authorized functionaries of religion and special elites of the religious community.
Jack LaLanne, and Richard Simmons have been pioneers in the health industry and likely have been put on Earth by God to extend consciousness by aiding in the longer lifespans of God's people.

Process of consecration. Which is the say, it's not enough that the consecrated ones exist, but they have strict notions of ritual purity that must be realized in order to be a "real" priest. A priest might be visibly distinct, such as shaving his head or wearing certain clothing or being circumcised or castrated. He might abstain from certain foods, or from sex or alcohol.
This is referring to the preacher my religion calls Bryan Johnson who has spent 10 million dollars to have the perfect diet, and exercise regimin and other health protocols

The sacrifice. The institutions to which the consecrated ones belong, or "temples", perform a function pertaining to a god, which creates a bridge between men and the gods. A costlier sacrifice is considered more impactful.
Yes I must donate 10% of my income to cancer research places who have the potential to spread god's consciousness by increasing the lifespans of humans.

Lay consecration. As a religion becomes better organized, the average citizen becomes a sort of mini-priest, being expected to uphold a fraction of the priest's holiness. For example, circumcision was practiced by priests in Ancient Egypt
Yes to honor the church fathers and God I must limit process foods, eat my veggies and avoid over consumption of food, and perform a ritual known as pushups and situps.

Sacred texts. There may be a singular canon, such as the Bible for Protestants or the Qur'an for Muslims, or multiple sacred texts but some of which enjoy higher priority than others (e.g. the Bible for Catholics and the Torah for Jews).
Every diet book of Jack Lalanne and every workout video of richard simmons is sacred doctrine.

Sacred relics attached to holy places or people
Of course, Simmons LA gym and the chains Jack LaLanne attached to the large ships he swam across large bodies of water and an advanced age.

sources of ritual impurity and defilement like feces, bodily fluids, or certain animals.
Fast food places, chairs and electric vehicles

Thats enough examples but I should be able to build something
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
I suscribe Victor's words, religions are a response to ignorance.

Maybe you meant to say that there is a tendency to believe in an ultimate creator, which is the case of almost all the religions around the world. But still, there are irreconcilable differences among them. 

What I think is that religions have to evolve as people get more intelligent and knowledgeable. I think this is the reason why so many people abandon the Christian churches, because people can't stand the ignorance and manipulation of the priests. That doesn't mean people are getting atheists, because as I said people believe in an ultimate creator.

To me the religion or movement that is making more sense is the "new age". I opened a thread talking about it and how it's displacing christianity as the favourite "religion" in the West. I mean, the "new age" fits pretty well into the new times to come because it has no priests, no rituals, no virgins to pray to, no beasts to be afraid of, no hell or heaven to go, what only matters is "the self". 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@IlDiavolo
The device now links us to the matrix.

No priests required.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@WyIted
How could the above be systemized to my life so I can lose weight or add other discipline that is beneficial to my life? 

50 days later

Shila
Shila
-->
@Swagnarok
So where am I going with this?

The evidence suggests that it's written on the hearts of men to develop and practice religions, and the forms of religion which come most naturally to men are the templates described above. Even if a religion starts out as a lofty intellectual construct (e.g. Buddhism), or the founder expressly discouraged several of the above (for instance, Jesus and repetitive prayer, Paul and asceticism), it will, within a few generations, morph into the above. Thus, orthopractically, religions tend to converge in the same general direction. 

Psychology of religion is an important field for understanding the subject.  This field has tended to be dominated by atheists, which is why many theists distrust it, but one could use the insights provided to construct the "intuitive religion" of a generalized form, AKA the one common religion of mankind. 

Which raises the question: why is there, in a manner of speaking, one common religion that people across the world know by pure intuition?
Religion is the different ways man tries to explain the unknown beginning with God the creator and why.