Australia

Author: Sidewalker

Total: 8
Sidewalker
Debates: 8
Sidewalker
Australia doesn’t really exist, it was the name of a fictional continent invented by Plato, but it was allegorical, an imagined country that had unbridled growth until it engulfed an entire continent.   The giant sharks, giant pythons, spiders, huge flies, poisonous centipedes, wallabies, flying foxes, dingoes, giant crocodiles, it was all just a metaphor for the horrors of a big government growing out of control.

Despite its completely metaphorical nature in Plato’s work, it has maintained itself in the public imagination for centuries, having considerable impact on literature, art, music, and especially film makers and Internet tricksters.  Because of this, many people have come to believe it is a real place, but that is only due to the tendency for gullible people to literalize legends, metaphor, and myth, causing them to engage in pseudoscientific speculation and fantasy. If you investigate it seriously, you find that nobody is really from Australia, but many people claim to “know a guy” or “have a friend” that either visited or lived there, but nobody has actually been there themselves. Over the years it’s become one of the most popular forms of modern folklore, having its existence in urban legends, wives tales, and “put ons” for gullible people’s benefit, much like the legendary Snipe, Jackalope, and Big Foot. Today the so called “existence” of Australia is all in good fun and most people are glad to “play along” with a nod and a wink.

JoeBob
Debates: 3
JoeBob
When I read that title my mind went to the dude that was adamant that Australia didn’t exist and the earth was flat, and I wasn’t very far off in thinking that it seems.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Sidewalker
I know someone who's been there.

Well, they think they've been there.

And I think that they've been there .

Well, I think that I know them.

In fact, I only strongly assume that the simulations I experience are representative of an external reality.

That's about as good as it gets.

Where is Plato?
MarkWebberFan2
Debates: 0
MarkWebberFan2
-->
@zedvictor4
That's a good illustration of platonic forms tbh.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@MarkWebberFan2
Thank you.
Moozer325
Debates: 13
Moozer325
-->
@Sidewalker
Nah man, New Zealand isn’t real.

Sidewalker
Debates: 8
Sidewalker
-->
@zedvictor4
Where is Plato?
In Texas, near Dallas.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Sidewalker
Are you sure you don't mean Texas County, Missouri.

Plato, population central.