What are we doing in July

Author: WyIted

Total: 17
WyIted
Debates: 27
WyIted
As many of you know, July is white history month https://youtube.com/shorts/2HEgwqFMEDY?si=uLILktVXdN309Gi8

July is quickly approaching and we as a community need to do something for our white members. Maybe we host a whites only debate tournament. I am open for auggestions
Moozer325
Debates: 13
Moozer325
-->
@WyIted
How about we honor the history of white people by going and commits some good old fashioned genocide. Because that’s what most of that history is.
WyIted
WyIted
-->
@Moozer325
How many white people died to free slaves during the Civil War? 

Why was white society the first to outlaw slavery?

Who invented every single invention?

White people that's who
Owen_T
Debates: 25
Owen_T
Equal rights for posh white people! We've been oppressed long enough. 
Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@WyIted
I never said that white people haven’t done good things in history. The problem with all these counter movements like the men’s rights movement is that straight white males are still born much better off than other minorities. I’m not really against a white history month or whatever, but the reason we have black history month, and AAPI month and all the other ones is to celebrate people who are born without privilege. Sure, we can celebrate white history month, but we still need to keep in mind that white people are still the majority, and there is still lots of work to be done to achieve true racial equality.

Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@WyIted
@Owen_T
Equal rights for posh white people! We've been oppressed long enough. 
Exactly what I mean. You still have to recognize that White people are the oppressors still. Not all white people, but if your born white, you still have a better chance at a good life, and we need to work to change that.
WyIted
WyIted
-->
@Moozer325
The problem with all these counter movements like the men’s rights movement is that straight white males are still born much better off than other minorities
I don't know. My childhood sucked. 

the reason we have black history month, and AAPI month and all the other ones is to celebrate people who are born without privilege.
That's a stupid reason to do it.  We could instead have an unprivileged person month. 

What do you mean by privilege though? Like white people are privileged for having higher IQs and a larger prefrontal cortex?

Sure, we can celebrate white history month, but we still need to keep in mind that white people are still the majority, and there is still lots of work to be done to achieve true racial equality.
I thought we had racial equality. Can you point to the laws that disadvantage non whites specifically? Is there colleges that are forced to turn away genetically superior students who score well on tests so that retarded white people can have spots in those colleges they didn't earn?
WyIted
WyIted
-->
@Moozer325
Exactly what I mean. You still have to recognize that White people are the oppressors still. Not all white people, but if your born white, you still have a better chance at a good life, and we need to work to change that.
How does being born with a good life mean you oppress people?
Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@WyIted
How does being born with a good life mean you oppress people?
It doesn’t, but as privileged humans, we need to recognize that there are people who are under privileged, and that we have a duty to help them. Some White people are born poor, and some black people are born rich, but on net balance, white people still have privilege which come with a duty to help those without it.

I thought we had racial equality. Can you point to the laws that disadvantage non whites specifically?
It doesn’t matter if our legal system is fair, people can still discriminate. As long a people of color are sometimes barred from jobs they are qualified for, and as long a police officers are still killing minorities, we will not have equality.

WyIted
WyIted
-->
@Moozer325
It doesn’t matter if our legal system is fair, people can still discriminate. As long a people of color are sometimes barred from jobs they are qualified for, and as long a police officers are still killing minorities, we will not have equality.
More blacks are killed by cops because they are more likely to resist arrest. It seems like polic we ate more likely to shoot for that reason than for reasons like skin color.

As far as what you said about privilege it seems maybe we could better focus on helping the poor by helping the poor than by teaching blacks they are less than and need our help for that reason
Moozer325
Moozer325
-->
@WyIted
More blacks are killed by cops because they are more likely to resist arrest.
But why are black people more likely to resist arrest? Because they know there is a higher chance of something bad happening to them because they are black. It a bad cycle.
WyIted
WyIted
-->
@Moozer325
That's a reason you made up in your head. Assuming it is a reason it would justify educating the black community to comply not attacking cops, but a more honest and more likely to be true theory and one supported because of studies on native Americans and police interactions (the most likely group to resist arrest is native Americans which is why they are even more disproportionately killed than African americans). 

The more likely explanation is that black people see cops as illegitimate authority figures so resist them. 

Now some of this is remedied and you do see this with cops having community functions with communities and being more seen and interacting in ways other than law enforcement.

We just need to let black people know they are part of America and we are one people. Or they just need to find a place they feel welcome
Moozer325
Moozer325
We just need to let black people know they are part of America and we are one people. Or they just need to find a place they feel welcome
Yeah, I guess that makes sense? Anyways this discussion got way of topic. What are you planning to for “white history month”?
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
-->
@Moozer325
The problem with all these counter movements like the men’s rights movement is that straight white males are still born much better off than other minorities.
Straight White males are better off than straight males, or males, from other races. Gender experience is too multifaceted to have a narrow set of metrics by which one sex is clearly doing better than the other. One can try, but this is called cherrypicking. Men's rights activists could just as readily pick another dataset that "proves" men have it worse. Neither they nor feminists are wrong per se, but both have incomplete perspectives on this.

Even with the above, I'd add *most* other races. Asian-Americans and Jewish-Americans, and even a handful of Black immigrant populations, are statistically wealthier than the average White person. Sure, every now and then they'll be subjected to a hate crime (which isn't intrinsically worse than being the victim of other types of violent crime), but intergenerational wealth is hugely decisive in determining quality of life.

Furthermore there are subgroups within White America who are as poor as Black America. For example, I would presume a deep Appalachian White man and an inner city Detroit Black man have both lived through poverty about the same way. One gets support and recognition for their ongoing hardships while the other basically doesn't.

I’m not really against a white history month or whatever but the reason we have black history month, and AAPI month and all the other ones is to celebrate people who are born without privilege
Wylted's answer to this is pretty solid, I think.

The idea of a White history month insofar as it's used as a bludgeon to make other racial history months not be celebrated may be problematic. But it does deserve to be celebrated in its own right, or at least specific European ethnicity heritage months, because a society where only some people are allowed to celebrate where they came from is fundamentally unjust.

How about we honor the history of white people by going and commits some good old fashioned genocide. Because that’s what most of that history is.
The "true" sin of White people, if you would, is having a far better documented history than the rest of the world, so that none of their historic crimes are simply forgotten and just assumed to have never happened. North Africans, many of whom were Black, participated in slave raids on Europe for over a thousand years during the Islamic period. But all that's remembered today is the 400 year span when Europeans were doing it to them.

WyIted
WyIted
-->
@Moozer325
Yeah, I guess that makes sense? Anyways this discussion got way of topic. What are you planning to for “white history month”?
I am going to celebrate by eating unseasoned chicken
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Moozer325
How about we honor the history of white people by going and commits some good old fashioned genocide?

Apparently cats are genociding white people or some such schizo shit. Celebrate July by petting a cat.
WyIted
WyIted
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Show me one flaw in thay post