Ten Commandments in Classrooms

Author: Owen_T

Total: 18
Owen_T
Debates: 25
Owen_T
Louisiana now requires the ten commandments on a small poster in each classroom. What do you all think about this? 
Best.Korea
Debates: 324
Best.Korea
1 Command: "dont violate bodies of others" pretty much outweighs those 10 all together by far.

So yeah, I guess I am smarter than whoever wrote the Bible.

You should worship me and build statues of me.

Well, a small statue would be nice here and there.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
Also, its silly to have Commandments which Command you to believe in God.

Smart people dont believe in God.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Owen_T
Louisiana now requires the ten commandments on a small poster in each classroom. What do you all think about this? 
YES, 100%

#1 - You shall have no other gods before me

#2 - You shall not make yourself any carved images

awesome, these two rules alone will solve all the problems in the united states
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW

#45 - You shall vote for Trump
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@3RU7AL
#1 - You shall have no other gods before me

Well, yeah, always start with a lie.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@FLRW
You shall vote for Trump
Brainless christians again vote for a literal Satan.
Owen_T
Owen_T
-->
@Best.Korea
You're really passionate about body rights, but what about all of the problems in the world, like theft. Respecting body rights won't fix everything. 

We all ready do respect body rights, it most people do. Those who somehow violate some one else's body are punished for it. Our  society DOES respect body rights, but we still have problems. 
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Owen_T
like theft
Theft also violates body rights, since I need some property to live and stealing all my property kills me since if everyone was stealing, there would be shortages. Also, if a person steals from me, I have to use more of my body to work to make up for it, so its a violation of body.

We all ready do respect body rights
Not in USA. Circumcision, forced education, taxes, limits on free speech, parents and government owning children, corporal punishment, polluted air and environment...ect. Well, I could go on, but I wont.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Best.Korea
You should worship me and NOT build statues of me.
Where does the Bible command, “make no graven image of Jesus”?

Ah, you must mean the command to make no graven images generally. But you will have noticed, surely, that the actual command is, “You shall not make unto yourself any graven image.” Also, that in the Old Covenant numbering of the ten commandments, the commandment about images is subsumed under the general commandment forbidding strange gods.

The “unto yourself” is key. It prohibits a particular kind of personal investment in the image one has made. You will also notice that Moses’ instructions regarding the tent of meeting included creating images of pomegranates, and weaving images of pomegranates into the priestly vestments, and that the ark of the covenant was to be topped with the images of a pair of golden cherubim. Others have noted the command to create a brazen serpent and lift it on a pole so that healing might take place. The Jewish people held onto that serpent for centuries - as well they might - until some started worshiping it as a god - taking it “unto themselves” - which necessitated King Hezekiah’s ordering it to be destroyed. As well he might.

The Jewish interpretation of "no graven images" prohibits the creation and worship of idols or physical representations of God. This commandment is intended to ensure the worship of God remains abstract and not tied to any physical form.

Owen_T
Owen_T
-->
@Best.Korea
I would argue that some of the things you define as violation are needed. Parental control over children, taxes, forced education. These are all of obvious benefit to society and the people involved. 
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Owen_T
I would argue that some of the things you define as violation are needed. Parental control over children, taxes, forced education. These are all of obvious benefit to society and the people involved.
But they are still a violation of body, even if they seem beneficial. Besides, it doesnt follow that you get to violate person's body just because its beneficial. Forced marriages were proven to both increase birth rates and reduce suicide rates. Plus, school is not beneficial to all people. To many people, high school alone is a waste of time because the job they will be doing is irrelevant to what they learn in high school. Also, school is a place of obvious abuse, from having your body controlled to the point where you have to ask permission to pee, to the point of lots of bullying happening and lots of teasing happening, which even caused school shootings and suicides. So no, we cannot say that school is beneficial for all.
Mall
Debates: 375
Mall
-->
@Owen_T
Good for them.
Moozer325
Debates: 13
Moozer325
-->
@Owen_T
I’m not normally against religion in school. I’m an Atheist personally, but you can believe whatever you want in my book. My problem is the mandate part. You can believe whatever, but you can’t force your belief down other peoples throats.
Owen_T
Owen_T
Your definition of body violation is anything that interferes with someone's freewill.

So, by your logic, prison is bad for society, since it violates someone's "body rights." Would you agree with that?

Unrelated question, what are your views on abortion
Owen_T
Owen_T
-->
@Best.Korea
Forgot to tag you

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Owen_T
Abortion is a practical surgical or medical solution to a problem.

Emotional overthink is an electro chemical data response, relative to conditioned  data preferences.

Religion is generally nonsense, that analogically attempts to explain the unexplainable.

Abortion tourism is a business opportunity.

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Owen_T
Your definition of body violation is anything that interferes with someone's freewill.

So, by your logic, prison is bad for society, since it violates someone's "body rights." Would you agree with that?
Body violation is based upon violating the ownership of a body.

People own their bodies, thus are free to make or reject any changes to their bodies.

Violating body means to make changes to another person's body without agreement, to use another person's body without agreement, any type of force which is done to individual's body. It is usually understood through way society would work if all individuals respected body rights. No one would forcefully hit anyone, no one would force anyone to do anything, no one would limit movement of another...

People in prison are often those who have violated someone's body. Once person violates a body of another, same can be done to that person.

Prisons are a waste of money, since there are more effective and cheaper punishments for crimes.

what are your views on abortion
I personally oppose to abortion, especially late term abortion. I know that woman's body belongs to a woman, but its just such a disgusting practice especially given that in most cases, woman chooses to have sex.