the responsible thing for USA to do is increase taxes and decrease spending, but

Author: n8nrgim

Total: 14
n8nrgim
Debates: 0
n8nrgim
the problem is that the republicans would attack any tax increases and eventually get it lowered. which would result effectively with lowered spending. since democrats dont want that, i can see why they dont like negotiating on it. 

yes, spending needs lowered, but it's more of a structural problem than bad programs, for the most part. we have a meager welfare state. so cuts to that would be hurting regular people. our defense is bigger than the next ten countries combined, and our medicare/medicaid is the same size as other countries even though they cover everyone while we only cover half our population with government healthcare. point, the healthcare is bloated. and they've been borrowing against social security for decades and now it's time to start paying it back. these are the real drivers of the debt, not welfare, yet these are imp;ossibile to cut politically. 

if someone could be a dictator, they could increase taxes and decrease spending, with a scalpel approach, trim the fat. i remember john mccain and obama had that debate... should we take an ax to spending or a scalpel? back then, i thought ax... but after seeing the budget quiz with committee for a responsible budget, i see that we can get our debt to a managemable level with just scalpel level spending cuts. 
WyIted
Debates: 27
WyIted
Brush, just print more money.  It's the same as taxes but more sneaky
WyIted
WyIted
Only local governments need to raise taxes ever
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@WyIted
Brush, just print more money.  It's the same as taxes but more sneaky
That's inflation.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@n8nrgim
 our defense is bigger than the next ten countries combined
Cutting the war budget would be giving the democrats what they want (this is fine, but be honest about it).  Everything you suggested in your comment is what the democrats want to do.  There is nothing wrong with that, but don't frame your comment as, "Enlighted centrist" when it's left wing.

But my plan to pay off the debt in 1 year is outlined in the following spreadsheet:

WyIted
WyIted
-->
@TheUnderdog
That's inflation.
Correct and inflating your money accomplishes the same thing as Taxing you, but is easier to sell to the public. 
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@TheUnderdog
your plan is convoluted and too complicated. you should be able to explain it in simple terms, if you truly understood our tax and spending situation. even albert einstein said that.. if you can't explain it simply, you probably dont really have a good grasp on it. 

even if we followed your plan, though, it's one thing to state somehting that is workable. it's another thing to get a country with hundreds of milions of people to agree on it. any dictorator could solve our finanicial situation... that's not proving anything. the real solution for practical purposes, is figruing out a dispute resolution way of fixing our budget. i dont want to say it's impossible, but the status quo tends to get lobbyists to torpedo any descioin making process that would likely derail their benefits that they derive from our system. you need a dispute resolution process that can overcome the status quo lobbyists. talk about this, and then maybe you would sound enlightened. like i said, showing one way out of millions in a way to fix our budget, doesn't prove much of anything other than that it can be done. (which for some people, is a big feat, granted)
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@n8nrgim
if someone could be a dictator, they could increase taxes and decrease spending, with a scalpel approach, trim the fat.
If I was dictator I would solve the problem in 24 hours.

Step 1: Have a press conference. Declare that anyone who is owed by the US federal government has been the victim of a con job. That they were thieves and had no way but theft to pay anyone. Anyone who knew this and just wanted to be the least stolen from can go find a tiny violin. Anyone who did not know this, sorry; life is hard and it's harder when you're stupid.

Dissolve the debt. Declare it null and void. No more valid than the criminal conspiracy that it was.

Step 2: Having now destroyed the credit of the United States of America (for they will say there is continuity regardless) I would add to the constitution "The government shall never be in debt. It shall pay for specific projects as and when voluntary funding is secured. All general expenses will be paid for from savings derived from services offered in relation to public services.

There you go, you don't need credit if you don't borrow anything.
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
maybe warren buffet's approach to the budget was best. he said, pass a law that says any time our deficiit exceeds inflation, the current members of congress are ineligible for reelection. then, we'd be guaranteed a managemanble debt and deficit
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@n8nrgim
Seems reasonable.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@WyIted
Correct and inflating your money accomplishes the same thing as Taxing you, but is easier to sell to the public. 
I don’t want the dollar to become significantly less valuable as time goes on.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@n8nrgim
your plan is convoluted and too complicated. you should be able to explain it in simple terms
  1. Repeal the income tax, and social security tax and replace it with a sales tax and a capital gains tax.
  2. This raises more revenue for the federal government while taxing each person less because we increase the number of taxpayers as much as we can by letting anybody and everybody settle in the United States in blue counties whether or not they have government permits.  This builds up our population by about 360%, GDP by about 360%, it causes our stock prices to go from increasing 10% per year to a 1 year increase of 400%, and that increase with the capital gains tax pays off the US debt and expands liberty in this country.
it's another thing to get a country with hundreds of milions of people to agree on it. 
I’m sure the majority of the people that understand the bill will support it.  But do you support it?

but the status quo tends to get lobbyists to torpedo any descioin making process that would likely derail their benefits that they derive from our system
P1: Lobbyists work for companies
P2: Conpanies want the value of their stock to increase.
P3: This bill due to the immigrants coming in here would cause a stock market increase of about 400%.
C1: The lobbyists would support my bill ad would the 50% of Americans that own stock.  The other 50% are uneffected because population growth doesn’t lead to the unemployment rate going up.

maybe warren buffet's approach to the budget was best. he said, pass a law that says any time our deficiit exceeds inflation, the current members of congress are ineligible for reelection. then, we'd be guaranteed a managemanble debt and deficit
His idea is wishful thinking; Congress isn’t going to put their own jobs on the line for that.
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@TheUnderdog
instead of capital gains and sales taxes, a property tax would be better. that way, the limited resource of property would be discouraged and labor or work would be encouraged. capital gains taxes would scare off investors and sales taxes would discourage buying things. yes people would have more money so could accept higher sales taxes, but many people would opt out of economic activity to hoard wealth. both academic liberals and conservatives often agree on the property tax idea, so i think you should consider it too.

also i dont think a huge influx of immigrants would be good. prices would sky rocket, cause there'd be more peopel expecting the american standard of life. poverty would sky rocket, cause there would be fewer people needed to work jobs at least to some extent and since prices would sky rocket more people would be stuck in low paying jobs not being able to afford anything. yes expanding our economy could expand potential jobs, but in my mind it's diminsihing returns. we only need so many skilled profession people. a water treatment plant can service fifty thosuand people or it can service five thousand... the point, there's more p;eople but fewer needs for jobs, the economy of scale for many things would simply increase, so we'd have more p;eople and fewer needs for jobs. 

if we took the buffet method, we might be able to use a referendum and get the people to by pass congress, but i'm not sure this would be p;ossible. i think the ordinary person would support the buffett method if they understood it, there's just a lot of variables here to deal with. 
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@n8nrgim
instead of capital gains and sales taxes, a property tax would be better. that way, the limited resource of property would be discouraged and labor or work would be encouraged. 
Multiple issues with this:

1. Property values go up about 1%-3% per year on average.  Stocks on average go up 10%.  There is a level of risk, but risk balences out as time goes on.
  2. All the US property is valued at $31 trillion.  The US debt is just south of $35 trillion.  A 20% property tax for 5 years wouldn’t be enough to pay off the debt.  And a $500K home owned by someone with a middle class job would pay $100K for 5 years extra in taxes.  
  3. All taxes on positive things discourage economic growth and taxing exclusively sin taxes is not pragmatic.
  4. Property ownership shouldn’t be discouraged anymore than owning anything else.

both academic liberals and conservatives often agree on the property tax idea, so i think you should consider it too.
The states with the highest property tax have about a 1% property tax.  Making a 20% property tax is unrealistic.

also i dont think a huge influx of immigrants would be good. prices would sky rocket, cause there'd be more peopel expecting the american standard of life. 
Population growth doesn’t lead to an increase in good prices because while the demand of goods would increase, the supply of goods increases proportionally.

poverty would sky rocket
The GDP per capita of US immigrants is comparable to Canadian Citizens; and I assume less income inequality would be present.  The poverty rate could be reduced by not requiring green cards to work.

cause there would be fewer people needed to work jobs at least to some extent
Population growth doesn’t lead to the unemployment rate skyrocketing because a nation that doubles its population due to immigration will have twice as many workers (demand for jobs) and twice as many customers (supply for jobs).  The US population goes up 4 million per year.  Is the number of people who are unemployed increasing by 4 million a year on average?  No.  Why?  Because more people means more workers but ALSO more customers, workers increase the unemployment rate, customers decrease the unemployment rate.

a water treatment plant can service fifty thosuand people or it can service five thousand
A population of twice as high is expected to have twice as many water treatment workers and this is true for all industries.

if we took the buffet method, we might be able to use a referendum and get the people to by pass congress
No congress person is going to agree to quit their jobs over something they don’t plan on solving.