Morality of the Matrix

Author: Owen_T

Total: 32
Owen_T
Debates: 25
Owen_T
I recently just watched the matrix, and asides a lot of logic gaps, one thing really bothered me. Why was the matrix actually a bad thing? For those of you who don't know the matrix is a shared simulation just like earth, but it's fake.  Is there any reason you can think of that the movie actually has a point that living in a simulation would be a bad thing? 
Savant
Debates: 23
Savant
-->
@Owen_T
I think it's likely that some people would be happier outside the Matrix than inside it. Someone who dies very young in the Matrix (and thus in real life) or who gets a painful and incurable disease in the Matrix might have been happier on the outside. Only watched the first movie though, so someone else may know more than me.
WyIted
Debates: 27
WyIted
I think it's up to you to make up your mind. One of the questions explored is whether a comforting lie is better than a harsh truth. Neo chose the truth. Cypher preferred the lie, but who is to say which is right
JoeBob
Debates: 3
JoeBob
-->
@Owen_T
Is there any reason you can think of that the movie actually has a point that living in a simulation would be a bad thing? 
No clue if it was in the movie, but:
only rethinking your whole life and realizing none of it was real, not much 
WyIted
WyIted
It's odd because the wachowski brothers rejected the harshe reality that they were middle aged balding men, and decided to opt for the comforting kie that the had the ability to display feminine beauty 

Sent frm my iphon
Owen_T
Owen_T
-->
@Savant
@JoeBob
Even if none of it is technically happening, you're still having meaningful interaction with actually people in a world that seems just like it is real. Does it actually matter that it's actually happening or not it seems, and is perceived, to be the same? Especially when it is actually better than the real world. 
Owen_T
Owen_T
-->
@Savant
@JoeBob
Even if none of it is technically happening, you're still having meaningful interaction with actually people in a world that seems just like it is real. Does it actually matter that it's actually happening or not it seems, and is perceived, to be the same? Especially when it is actually better than the real world. 
WyIted
WyIted
-->
@Owen_T
What will you do when you discover the world is fake?

It really is an illusion. So at that point do you bury that knowledge?

For me it's been freeing. For most it is. It is a joyous thing, unlike in the movie.

Here is the problem. After this gnosis. Usually the illusion starts pressing on you again. You start to forget it's an illusion until another moment of gnosis. 

Will you have the strength to actually fight the illusion? Wil you want to?
Intelligence_06
Debates: 172
Intelligence_06
-->
@Owen_T
I actually have a debate on this exact issue.
Owen_T
Owen_T
-->
@WyIted
Why would you want to fight it? There is no reason. 
Intelligence_06
Debates: 172
Intelligence_06
-->
@Owen_T
The same reasons why we get drunk. Shits n giggles. It is fun.
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@WyIted
@Owen_T
Neo chose the truth

1} absolute cosmic truth, --only five regular and convex polyhedra can exist---

2} relative truth, ---the sky is blue----

3} falsehoods mixed in with one or both of the above 1 and 2 ---- take your choice as plenty to choose from currently in society front page, such as is the case of  returning boomerang of Trump and MAGA cult followers comes to mind -----
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Owen_T
I recently just watched the matrix, and asides a lot of logic gaps, one thing really bothered me. Why was the matrix actually a bad thing? For those of you who don't know the matrix is a shared simulation just like earth, but it's fake.  Is there any reason you can think of that the movie actually has a point that living in a simulation would be a bad thing? 
i had the exact same thought when i watched the pilot episode of the original star trek television show "the cage"

WyIted
WyIted
-->
@Owen_T
Why would you want to fight it? There is no reason

The concept of cosmic insignificance can free you up in a lot of ways. It's very helpful with anxiety for example. 

Also I have some internal drive to know. I don't think I would be happy ignoring that drive, but certainly there is nothing wrong with choosing the opposite 
WyIted
WyIted
-->
@ebuc
is the case of returning boomerang of Trump and MAGA cult followers comes to mind -----
I know that you think people who vote for Trump are in a cult, but have you ever considered the opposite? 

Have you considered that those who would see their paychecks lose purchasing power to the point where they can't even afford fast food anymore and still vote for Biden is a cult?

Have you considered those who are actively promoting the moral decay of society might be the cult members?

Have you stopped to consider that perhaps there are people scared of the escalating tensions with Russia where the Russians are literally now playing chicken by sending boats just miles off of the Florida shore, maybe just miss when Trump was in office and the world was at peace. 
WyIted
WyIted
Personally I continually analyze if I have been brainwashed, it is why you see me hesitate to pull the trigger when it comes to my beliefs, but have you ever considered that you may be wrong and a victim to societal conditioning or propaganda?
Owen_T
Owen_T
-->
@WyIted
Have you considered those who are actively promoting the moral decay of society might be the cult members?
What do you mean by that? Maga are the ones literally supporting a fraudulent sexual abuser and felon. Safe to say they don't have the moral Highground. 

Trump was in office and the world was at peace. 
What did trump have to do with that? It's irrelevant. 

Sure, inflation is running a little high, but it's not going crazy. Let's also remember there were other problems under Trump. I's not saying the Biden is the right person to vote for, I'm saying there is reason to vote for him.

WyIted
WyIted
-->
@Owen_T
What do you mean by that? Maga are the ones literally supporting a fraudulent sexual abuser and felon. Safe to say they don't have the moral Highground. 
Focus.  I am talking about policies and you are engaging in personalities 
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW

If Trump get elected he will have his largest bankruptcy, The USA.
Best.Korea
Debates: 324
Best.Korea
I thought it says "Morality of the Marxist".
cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
-->
@Owen_T
As Wylted already pointed out, I think the moral framework is that Truth is superior to a comfortable lie. Also note that the movie pointed out that the lie could not be too comfortable as that was a failure. So, another facet might be that humans need some obstacles to give their lives meaning.

Funny— when I saw the title, I thought your moral issue was going to be how killing some of the innocent people plugged into the matrix was both necessary in self defense and acceptable as they were essentially part of the lie.
WyIted
WyIted
-->
@FLRW
If Trump get elected he will have his largest bankruptcy, The USA.
I could afford to eat when he was in office and have lost 30 pounds and can eat out less after he left office and I make a similar amount. 
WyIted
WyIted
-->
@FLRW
Flrw, it's off topic so just PM me if you want to discuss that further.  Also I am willing to give you my phone number so you can call me and discuss how I am wrong as well
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Owen_T
Everything is a simulation.

And the matrix is evolving.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@WyIted
Flrw, it's off topic so just PM me if you want to discuss that further.  Also I am willing to give you my phone number so you can call me and discuss how I am wrong as well
get a room already !
WyIted
WyIted
-->
@3RU7AL
Trying to bruh
Mall
Debates: 375
Mall
-->
@Owen_T
If you feel nothing is wrong with slavery, I guess it wouldn't be bad. 

Owen_T
Owen_T
-->
@Mall
The thing is that you don't even know about being enslaved. It's just like normal life. Additionally, it's the only way to continue as a species sustainably. 
MAV99
MAV99
-->
@Owen_T
A very interesting question.

I have only seen the first movie, but thinking about it I would say that if you think that morality is based on truth, and a person is moral when they know the truth, (like when a kid is taking apples from his neighbors tree, because he does not know better) and truth is only found in a true world, then a truly moral person can only live in a true world.

It does then seem (with this idea of morality) that there is no morality within the matrix, since at best it is a representation of the truth and not the truth itself. It does make you wonder though, then, if a person within the Matrix did say, murder an innocent person, would he have committed a crime that he is guilty of?

A very interesting conundrum.
Mall
Debates: 375
Mall
-->
@Owen_T
Yeah ignorant slaves sure .